• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Goobylal
    • Jan 2004

Re: I Hate Our OL

Originally posted by Forward_Lateral View Post
    I can't remember if it was him or Nancz that was head bobbing every time they snapped it.
    It was Van Roten.

Comment

• Typ0
      honey pie
      • Jul 2002

Originally posted by notacon View Post
      You screwed up your attempted diss. I should read "Beane also needs to stay out of the hot Nevada SUN without wearing headwear”

Being hot here, with less than 10% humidity is a totally different thing than steamy, sauna-like FLA. It was reported ot be around 90 degrees in Miami for the last game.

****....90 degrees here (with that low, low humidity) is like a fine spring day in the east when it’s in the 70’s. Almost balmy.

In any event, the idea that out “O-line sucks” is more determined by which O-line you are talking about.

The O-line vs Miami, did, in fact, suck. But, is that more because they only had two starters and backups getting replaced by backups lower on the depth chart....or does the O-line starting 5 “suck”???

Yes, Saffold has been a huge disappointment (so far). For such an experienced lineman, he has been a liability. Yes, the Bills do not have a suitable backup for Morse (but that does not mean the starting 5 “suck). Yes, Bates has been just so-so. And yes, Spencer Brown had a really bad game, even before he was overcome by heat sickness. He has to improve his inconsistency.

I suspect that he is just not built for the heat and humid that the Bills will not see again until next year.

We also need Ike Boettger back to see if he can do better than Saffold and/or Bates. We need Brown to be more consistent. We need Morse to not be injured.

I’m not ready to give up on the unit just yet. It’s early in the year and players and units do get better.

That's the hardest unit on the whole field to mix up too.

Comment

• Goobylal
        • Jan 2004

Personally, I'd put Saffold at RG and Bates back at LG.

Comment

• TheConsigliere
          • Aug 2022

Originally posted by Goobylal View Post
          Sure but that still does not make Bates a player who should be starting on a NFL OL.

Comment

• Prov401
            President of WADL (Whitner Anti-Defamation League)
            • Aug 2008

Out of all our starters, Bates and Brown have definitely gotten off to slow starts. These two guys ended up getting better as last season went along, and that's what I'm hoping for now. I don't see us flipping our guards as Saffold has been used primarily on the left side throughout most of his long career.

Comment

• YardRat
              Well, lookie here...
              • Dec 2004

I'm not sold on Brown, big man back injuries are a thing. There's a reason there aren't too many successful 6'8" tackles.
              YardRat Wall of Fame
              #56 DARRYL TALLEY
              #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• Forward_Lateral
                • Mar 2004

Saffold has played LG for almost his entire career.

Comment

• Woodman
                  Legendary Zoner
                  • Apr 2014

The key is Mitch Morse when he plays our line is fine ..... when he can't go we are ****ed it's that simple.

We needed to draft Creed Humphrey and we better address it (the center position) in the next draft period.

There is no substitute for excellent center play ..... blocking assignments etc.etc.

“It breaks your heart when someone leaves and you don’t know why.”

"It may be raining but there's a rainbow above you"

Former President Donald Trump early Thursday touted the results of a new NPR/PBSNewsHour/Marist poll showing him ahead of President Joe Biden by 8 percentage points among independents.

Comment

• Woodman
                    Legendary Zoner
                    • Apr 2014

Originally posted by Forward_Lateral View Post
                    Saffold has played LG for almost his entire career.
                    It might be important that he would be able to play either at a high level.

Former President Donald Trump early Thursday touted the results of a new NPR/PBSNewsHour/Marist poll showing him ahead of President Joe Biden by 8 percentage points among independents.

Comment

• Forward_Lateral
                      • Mar 2004

Saffold has been a major disappointment so far, I agree. But, it's still early. I would give him a couple more games, at min, to see if he can get back on track. Same with Bates, at RG.

RT is a huge problem, yet again. Brown looks hurt and, quite frankly, useless, Quisenberry sucked, all that leaves is Hart.

Comment

• Goobylal
                        • Jan 2004

Bates played well at LG last year. I’m not sure why they signed Saffold when that’s where he’s mostly played but I’d think he can make the switch to RG easier than Bates has. And maybe a vet presence next to him might settle Brown more.

Comment

• notacon
                          • Aug 2012

Like Typ0 just wrote, O-line is the hardest unit to mix up.

With this being Bates’ first year starting, it could be a mistake to move him around. Who knows? I suspect that both Saffold and Bates will play better with Morse in between them.

Comment

• Woodman
                            Legendary Zoner
                            • Apr 2014

I suspect that both Saffold and Bates will play better with Morse in between them.
                            Bingo, ......... we need Morse back in action more than anybody. JMO

Comment

• Goobylal
                              • Jan 2004

Like Typ0 just wrote, O-line is the hardest unit to mix up.

With this being Bates’ first year starting, it could be a mistake to move him around. Who knows? I suspect that both Saffold and Bates will play better with Morse in between them.
                              True but Bates was playing LG at the end of last season and doing well. Saffold I think could make the switch to the other side easier than Bates has.

Comment

• Mace
                                Haha...yeah you think so ?
                                • Mar 2013

Bates played well at LG last year. I’m not sure why they signed Saffold when that’s where he’s mostly played but I’d think he can make the switch to RG easier than Bates has. And maybe a vet presence next to him might settle Brown more.
                                I honestly thought they were going to finally leave Bates alone once he emerged. Figured they'd get a right guard. Hah.

One problem with moving Saffold might be the nerve issue in his shoulder. Not sure which shoulder it is (he's had problems with both), might be worse depending on where he lines up.

Comment

Working...
                                X