Thread: So what can the Bills new Stadium create home field advantage structurely?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,376 Times in 1,478 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

So what can the Bills new Stadium create home field advantage structurely?

Like getting snow and rain dumped on the visitors sideline?

Registered User Forward_Lateral's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,009 Times in 4,235 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: So what can the Bills new Stadium create home field advantage structurely?

lol, Build a shelter over the home bench and not over the visitor?

I get that it was 100 degrees and that the visitor sideline is in the sun, but honestly, there's nothing you can do about it. Nobody has ever complained about it before, only now that the Bills lost, and had 3/4 of their team cramping because ill preparation.

If I'm McDermott, I'm ashamed of myself for allowing this to happen.

3. Post thanked by:

kgun12 (09-27-2022),Mace (09-26-2022),YardRat (09-26-2022)

Buckle me in on the highway of sin mightysimi's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,015 Times in 1,379 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

The only comparison is not giving them heaters in the winter. Both teams are cold in Buffalo but only one was in the sun all game in Miami.

The weather report I am sure was available so it is indeed on preparation and the league will do nothing about it so no reason to keep worrying about it.

5. Post thanked by:

Mace (09-26-2022),YardRat (09-26-2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,480 Times in 1,478 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

The stadium is being designed to make it acoustically loud for the opposing offenses.
    Lou Saban: You can get it done, you can get it done. And what’s more, you’ve gotta get it done.

Thanks
    Thanked 24,425 Times in 14,144 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Don’t do anything. Doing chicken**** stuff like the Phins have done only shows what kind of franchise they are. Designing a stadium to ensure the opposition is always in the sunlight with no shade is JV level crap.

No interest in emulating that kind of stuff.
    COMING SOON...
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Lecter
    We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

8. Post thanked by:

YardRat (09-26-2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,786 Times in 1,200 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Can't a team truck in giant fans and stuff like that? Our team didn't do **** to address the challenge now people want to whine about it. We weren't prepared.

Thanks
    Thanked 24,425 Times in 14,144 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Typ0 View Post
    Can't a team truck in giant fans and stuff like that? Our team didn't do **** to address the challenge now people want to whine about it. We weren't prepared.
    We had fans and the misters going on the sideline.

Thanks
    Thanked 11,632 Times in 7,703 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Cold is not nearly as much a factor are heat and humidity.

It’s pretty easy to prepare for the cold, but very difficult, if not impossible to prepare for the heat and extreme humidity.

I don’t buy the idea that the Bills “failed” to prepare. One can only do so much vis ‘a vis hydration in the days, hours and even during a game.

The Fins have four distant advantages....

1. They train in the swamp of FL for two months.
    2. Their sideline is in the shade which mitigates the full effect in an exponential way.
    3. The opposition sideline is in the direct sun for the full (daytime) game.
    4. If Miami decides not to use fans, the Bills could not either (hat tip to Turf).

Here in Las Vegas, the locals understand the power of direct sunlight....especially as opposed to the shade. We do not have the humidity factor (which is why I choose to live here) but the EXTREME danger in just standing in the sun on a hot day (as compared to the shade) is almost unimaginable.

If you stand in the direct sun too long (and it’s shorter than you can conceive) your skin will tingle and you can feel it burn. Heat stroke is a very real issue.
    Direct sun sucks the liquid from your body. High humidity prevents the body from cooling itself.

I have experienced dehydration from simply standing in the direct sun (in NYC’s Central Park when the temps were in the high 70’s for a group seminar event where I was instructing several groups of 20 to 30 attendees, in seven different sessions for 20-25 minutes for each session). I happened to be in an open, unshaded area (on purpose....this was a photographic lighting seminar and my sessions were about shooting portraits in direct sun)

During the third session I got dizzy and almost passed out. By that time drinking more and more water would have no effect (and I DID drink water before I started). And it didn’t. I did not start feeling better until I got out of the sun and into an air conditioned dark hotel room.

When players have to get an IV, there is a health danger present. It’s not just about this game.

Most of the stadiums in high temp and sunny areas have domes, or a structure to produce shade. Miami literally has sub-tropical climate that is known for oppressive sun, heat and, especially humidity. Tampa and Jacksonville are not even close to the oppressiveness of Miami.

Other NFL cities with this combination are Houston and New Orleans. Both have domes. I have been to every NFL city (except Green Bay) and Miami, Houston and New Orleans are unique in their climate. And it’s why I HATE all of those cities with a passion. It’s always hot and steamy there to the extent that I get sick every time I visit (as I was forced to because of my job as national sales manager).

Miami, in their recent renovations purposely gave the home team one of the biggest home field advantages in the NFL by ensuring that the home team sideline is ALWAYS in the shade and the opposing team’s sideline is ALAWYS in direct sun with the structure they built around the top of the stadium.

This is an unfair advantage that smack of unsportsmanship because it presents a very real health danger to one team and not the home team.
    Last edited by notacon; 09-27-2022 at 07:25 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,812 Times in 1,127 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I played for our base travel softball team in Florida. We played most of our games with the field temp’s 100-120. We had to keep track of our fluid intake and give it to the trainer. We had a few players get cramps throughout the season which went May to October playing tournaments on weekends sometimes 8 games but nothing like we witnessed Sunday.

I know we were only playing softball but we weren’t professional athletes getting paid to be in the best possible condition possible either.

Trying to stay warm presents just as many challenges as staying cool.
    Last edited by kgun12; 09-27-2022 at 07:42 AM.
    Retired Air Traffic Controller
    USAF VETERAN
    DAV

Thanks
    Thanked 2,480 Times in 1,478 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by notacon View Post
    Cold is not nearly as much a factor are heat and humidity.

It’s pretty easy to prepare for the cold, but very difficult, if not impossible to prepare for the heat and extreme humidity.

I don’t buy the idea that the Bills “failed” to prepare. One can only do so much vis ‘a vis hydration in the days, hours and even during a game.

The Fins have four distant advantages....

1. They train in the swamp of FL for two months.
    2. Their sideline is in the shade which mitigates the full effect in an exponential way.
    3. The opposition sideline is in the direct sun for the full (daytime) game.
    4. If Miami decides not to use fans, the Bills could not either (hat tip to Turf).

Here in Las Vegas, the locals understand the power of direct sunlight....especially as opposed to the shade. We do not have the humidity factor (which is why I choose to live here) but the EXTREME danger in just standing in the sun on a hot day (as compared to the shade) is almost unimaginable.

If you stand in the direct sun too long (and it’s shorter than you can conceive) your skin will tingle and you can feel it burn. Heat stroke is a very real issue.
    Direct sun sucks the liquid from your body. High humidity prevents the body from cooling itself.

I have experienced dehydration from simply standing in the direct sun (in NYC’s Central Park when the temps were in the high 70’s for a group seminar event where I was instructing several groups of 20 to 30 attendees, in seven different sessions for 20-25 minutes for each session). I happened to be in an open, unshaded area (on purpose....this was a photographic lighting seminar and my sessions were about shooting portraits in direct sun)

During the third session I got dizzy and almost passed out. By that time drinking more and more water would have no effect (and I DID drink water before I started). And it didn’t. I did not start feeling better until I got out of the sun and into an air conditioned dark hotel room.

When players have to get an IV, there is a health danger present. It’s not just about this game.

Most of the stadiums in high temp and sunny areas have domes, or a structure to produce shade. Miami literally has sub-tropical climate that is known for oppressive sun, heat and, especially humidity. Tampa and Jacksonville are not even close to the oppressiveness of Miami.

Other NFL cities with this combination are Houston and New Orleans. Both have domes. I have been to every NFL city (except Green Bay) and Miami, Houston and New Orleans are unique in their climate. And it’s why I HATE all of those cities with a passion. It’s always hot and steamy there to the extent that I get sick every time I visit (as I was forced to because of my job as national sales manager).

Miami, in their recent renovations purposely gave the home team one of the biggest home field advantages in the NFL by ensuring that the home team sideline is ALWAYS in the shade and the opposing team’s sideline is ALAWYS in direct sun with the structure they built around the top of the stadium.

This is an unfair advantage that smack of unsportsmanship because it presents a very real health danger to one team and not the home team.
    The NFLPA needs to address this as a player safety issue. 300LB plus guys could die out there, even WR's were laying down and puking.

14. Post thanked by:

notacon (09-28-2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,084 Times in 5,849 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Mafia beer-chili dog farts wafting over visitors sideline