Thread: Bills Injury update per McDermott

Thanks
    Thanked 2,401 Times in 1,493 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Bills Injury update per McDermott

Didn't see a thread here. Thought it is useful info.

Benford, broken hand. Surgery tomorrow, a couple of weeks being out.
    Kumerow, High ankle sprain. Week to week. Looks like our rookie will have a chance (or OBJ?)
    Tommy Doyle. torn ACL, should be out for the year right?
    Bates, concussion protocol.

So those 4 players will be out against the Ravens. I didn't realize at the time but after listening to Dorsey, I think the importance of Kumerow being out early in that gat game. Dorsey said they were conscious of the heat and thus rotating players, especially those running a lot. Kumerow being out made it hard because in theory, they only had other 2 outside guys in Davis and Diggs. That's why they had to go 12 personnel a lot (I think allowed Miami to offset the Byron Jones not being there).

2. Post thanked by:

Cntrygal (09-26-2022),Mace (09-27-2022),YardRat (09-26-2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,843 Times in 3,496 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: Bills Injury update per McDermott

Time to let Hodgins play.

Thanks
    Thanked 11,693 Times in 7,754 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by jamze132 View Post
    Time to let Hodgins play.
    No. Time to let Shakir play. He was inactive for the LA Rams and Miami games.

He was active for Tennessee when Davis was out.

Shakir is on the full roster, Hodgins is not. He’s on the practice squad which has it’s own limitations as to how many players can get called up and for how long and how many times a player can be called up from the PS per season.

Which is why the Bills had to “sign” Brandin Bryant and Prince Emili to the active roster before the Miami game (they “elevated” Greg Mancz and Ja’Marcus Ingram to the roster form the practice squad....a team can elevate only two players for each game). After the game they outright released Emili (to make room for Bobby Hart coming off suspension).

Since Shakir is already on the full roster, there are no limitations like being on the PS. He falls within the game day actives which takes place about 90 minutes before a game, when the team has to notify the officials of the 46 players (of the 53 man full roster) that are active for the game.

The Bills have had five active WR’s for each game. Kumerow is #5. Shakir is #6. Hodgins is #7.

If Hodgins had any value for special teams, he could possibly be called up form the PS. But, I still doubt it. Expect the WR’s (baring injury) to be while Kumerow is out....

Diggs
    Davis
    McKenzie
    Crowder
    Shakir

When Kumerow is healed, he will be on the game day actives because he is essential on special teams.

With all the issues in the secondary, there is little chance the Bills will use a spot for a 6th WR.

Here is a primer on the PS rules.
    Last edited by notacon; 09-27-2022 at 07:53 AM.

Registered User Forward_Lateral's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,061 Times in 4,265 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Normally, I'd agree with you about letting Shakir play, Notacon, but he looks lost out there.

6. Post thanked by:

notacon (09-28-2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,693 Times in 7,754 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Forward_Lateral View Post
    Normally, I'd agree with you about letting Shakir play, Notacon, but he looks lost out there.
    Yeah, I know. The best way to help him get better is to play him in limited action. It’s the way McDermott has handled rookies.

The point is that Hodgins is not going to elevated off the PS, especially with all the injuries the Bills are dealing with. They can only elevate two players from PS per game. With Rhodes being signed to the PS, it is very likely that he will be one of them.

And I suspect that the Bills will not want to go into the game with only four WR’s.

So, Shakir is the guy.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,564 Times in 2,153 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Of the four listed, Bates is probably the most impactful followed closely by Benford. Kumerow and Doyle only matter if starters ahead of them get hurt. If Dane Jackson can come back, Benford's absence won't hurt too much. I think the offensive line will be OK. I think everybody besides Bates who had to come out of the game on the O-line did so because of the heat issues. Assuming they're all back, there should be enough depth to ge through the Baltimore game in good shape.
    I've made up my mind. Don't confuse me with the facts.

I'm the most reasonable poster here. If you don't agree, I'll be forced to have a hissy fit.