Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Von effect?

Thanks
    Thanked 9,195 Times in 5,921 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

The Von effect?

I have been critical of Edmunds’ play and his lack of “splash plays” and lack of decision making. I also thought he lacked mentoring after his rookie year when he was handed the defensive QB position.

there was no veteran presence for Tremaine to go to, no one to hold him accountable and he was basically self taught the NFL. (Minus coaches of course)

Von walked in as a leader minute 1.

he’s got even the veterans like Poyer buying into the “don’t blink” mentality.

Edmunds is now making decisions and no longer playing to not make a mistake.

he’s hitting holes. He’s got 1 sack and 4 TFL (7 TFL all last season)

Von held the Pass rushing summit and haas taken Rousseau under his wing (which requires a ladder) and Groot has 4 sacks in 4 games.

the level of play of the D seems to be elevated. The energy, higher.

As far as Edmunds. Perhaps not his fault that there was lack of veteran presence… perhaps we will see his potential fulfilled. Unfortunately next year will be a costly price tag but I will enjoy his elevated play.

2. Post thanked by:

Cntrygal (10-03-2022),Jeff1220 (10-03-2022),Mad Bomber (10-03-2022),The last buffalo fan (10-03-2022)

Visually stunning but camera-shy. Cntrygal's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,593 Times in 4,537 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: The Von effect?

Quote Originally Posted by sukie View Post
    I have been critical of Edmunds’ play and his lack of “splash plays” and lack of decision making. I also thought he lacked mentoring after his rookie year when he was handed the defensive QB position.

there was no veteran presence for Tremaine to go to, no one to hold him accountable and he was basically self taught the NFL. (Minus coaches of course)

Von held the Pass rushing summit and haas taken Rousseau under his wing (which requires a ladder) and Groot has 4 sacks in 4 games.

As far as Edmunds. Perhaps not his fault that there was lack of veteran presence… perhaps we will see his potential fulfilled. Unfortunately next year will be a costly price tag but I will enjoy his elevated play.
    I was thinking about this yesterday watching Edmunds fly around and actually taking down OFFENSIVE players.
    Quote Originally Posted by notacon View Post
    The biggest thing we learned from the Bills is that they are a resilient bunch and did what they had to do to win instead of past years where they fold like a cheap lawn chair.

For news, articles and other "stuff"... BillsZone.com

4. Post thanked by:

The last buffalo fan (10-03-2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,940 Times in 1,211 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Like I’ve been saying from the first post about Edmunds, most of us would like nothing more than Edmunds to be elite! Unfortunately he hasn’t show much his first 4 years. Hopefully he has turned the corner and is becoming the player we all hoped for however, I’m not ready to say he’s there after 4 games, I still see him running into his linemen’s butts and still hesitating but yes there has been major improvement. Let’s hope he continues to show us we that he can play at an elite level, fingers crossed.

So if that’s hating so be it!
    Retired Air Traffic Controller
    USAF VETERAN
    DAV

6. Post thanked by:

Cntrygal (10-03-2022),The last buffalo fan (10-03-2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,047 Times in 661 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Von is part of it... but we have a massive DL now. He doesnt have to worry about trying to fight through linemen as much, and he's free to take on the ball carrier.

If anything it's kind of similar to his rookie year when we had Kyle Williams, and Star was still playing (and not going through the motions), and we had Lorenzo out there too.

8. Post thanked by:

Jeff1220 (10-03-2022),The last buffalo fan (10-03-2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,904 Times in 4,024 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Some guys are brought in as a hired gun. They aren't paid to teach, or lead, they are paid in to make plays. It seems to be especially true of the pass rusher or WR. Nothing wrong with such a signing.

But it is a real bonus when you get a guy who provides both.

I agree with Kenny that the Daquan Jones/Tim Settle signings were huge, literally.

Teams aren't gashing up the middle like in past years.

Groot has looked great so far this year. Its not just the pass rush, he holds his own against the run, and has learned to make plays in the backfield.

I don't discount the work Bruce has done with him in the offseason and training camp. Groot was placed in a great position. Uber talented but very light on experience. He was then given to of the best pass rushers ever to play the game as tutors.

It looks like it is paying dividends.

10. Post thanked by:

sukie (10-03-2022),The last buffalo fan (10-03-2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,420 Times in 1,509 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

DaQuan is playing very well as well, better than I thought, unlike Safford which I had high hope.

Confidence is hell of a drug for players. Josh is THE guy for the offense (and defense for that matter) guys. If you are on the side of the ball with guys like Allen, Mahomes, no matter how bad things are, you have hope, as long as you do your job.

Von is that guy for our defense. We invested a lot of draft capitals and other resources. We have a bunch of young to prime good players, some maybe bordering great players. But none of them are THE guy, a Bruce Smith, a Ray Lewis who elevates others. Von is THE guy for this Bills defensive guys, someone they can lookup to, someone they BELIEVE that if anyone of them messes up, Von is going to make it right again. It just makes everyone of them just concentrates on doing his own job, not trying to go overboard to fix someone else's mistakes. As a result, the whole unit is performing at a higher level.

12. Post thanked by:

Thanks
    Thanked 11,717 Times in 7,771 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Interesting observations, but it’s a somewhat flawed.

Edmunds has played much, much better than many of the posters here think since he came into the league. It’s the reason that he got two Pro Bowl honors. It’s the reason he has been named to the top 10 LB’s in the NFL by 50 NFL GM’s, coaches, scouts and players three years in a row.

All that is happening now is that there is better play in front of him (yes, the “Von effect” is very real) but, it’s more than that. The almost total overhaul of the D-line is huge along with the continued development of all the investments the Bills have made in the draft in recent years.

Epenesa is playing the best football of his young career. Greg Rousseau has made the second year leap, and then some. Ed Oliver (in the little he played) is an emerging star. Jordon Phillips (in the seven quarters he played) has brought energy and disruptions lacking last year in particular. Bookie Basham is also showing much signs of growth.

But, one of the most important addition to the Bills is Daquan Jones.

He has provided what the Bills have been searching for at DT for quite some time. Something that Star L. was supposed to bring but did not consistently.

With the front four not necessarily doing what they are supposed to do, it put more pressure on the LB’s, allowed blockers to get further into the Bills defensive side, and forced Edmunds in particular (Milano to a lesser extent) to act like a backstop. Cautious play to prevent the big play. Which, as evidenced by all the stats, was accomplished to a large extent.

I have been preaching for some time that the TEAM is what’s critical. How each player compliments and meshes with the other. And the improvement of the D-line has freed both Edmunds and Milano to be more aggressive.

Edmunds has been unfairly demonized here by too many posters, contrary to his reputation outside this cocoon.

As Joe B. hit the nail on the head a year ago....”Why can’t Tremaine Edmunds win over Bills fans when he’s viewed as a special player outside of Buffalo?

14. Post thanked by:

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Joe B and only Joe B yet again?

so your contention is that Edmunds making splash plays like a sack (zero last year) and tackles for a loss (4 in 4 games -7 all last season) isn’t a monumental upgrade in play and decision making?.. it is year 5. Edmunds is playing better because he feels he has to.

Rousseau is better in year 2.

16. Post thanked by:

kgun12 (10-03-2022),The last buffalo fan (10-03-2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,420 Times in 1,509 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

@notacon, Edmunds is a good player. But he is not Allen's level on D. In other words, he's no Ray Lewis who raises everyone else's level. Being drafted in the same year as Josh, both 1st rounder, both the Bills traded up to, both physical freaks; naturally the expectations are similar. I do admit Allen far, far exceeded my expectation. I'd be happy at the time that Allen to turn out to be a Matt Ryan, Stafford kind of guy.

18. Post thanked by:

kgun12 (10-03-2022),The last buffalo fan (10-03-2022)

Registered User Forward_Lateral's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,082 Times in 4,279 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Edmunds still makes major mistakes that a top LB shouldn't.

He gets caught up in the wash when blockers get to the 2nd level. Shedding blocks is not a strong suit for him, or Milano for that matter. For a guy his size, Edmunds tends to play small sometimes.

20. Post thanked by:

kgun12 (10-03-2022),The last buffalo fan (10-03-2022),YardRat (10-03-2022)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Forward_Lateral View Post
    Edmunds still makes major mistakes that a top LB shouldn't.

He gets caught up in the wash when blockers get to the 2nd level. Shedding blocks is not a strong suit for him, or Milano for that matter. For a guy his size, Edmunds tends to play small sometimes.
    He should make mistakes… when you rush 4 he has to choose a lane so he will pick the wrong lane. Last year he waited for the runner and the blocking to come further to him… down field.

something is making him play like he did his rookie season and put an end to the 2 year statistical decline…

22. Post thanked by:

Registered User Forward_Lateral's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,082 Times in 4,279 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

He should make mistakes… when you rush 4 he has to choose a lane so he will pick the wrong lane. Last year he waited for the runner and the blocking to come further to him… down field.

something is making him play like he did his rookie season and put an end to the 2 year statistical decline…

Experience. Better players around him. Trusting what he sees more.

24. Post thanked by:

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Forward_Lateral View Post
    Experience. Better players around him. Trusting what he sees more.
    Someone is causing him to trust what he sees. 2 good seasons, 2 statistically down seasons and suddenly something magical happens?

26. Post thanked by:

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Joe B and only Joe B yet again?

so your contention is that Edmunds making splash plays like a sack (zero last year) and tackles for a loss (4 in 4 games -7 all last season) isn’t a monumental upgrade in play and decision making?.. it is year 5. Edmunds is playing better because he feels he has to.

Rousseau is better in year 2.
    That is dishonest. 50 NFL GM’s, coaches, scouts and players THREE years in a row. Two Pro Bowls. I can provide lots more positive observations concerning Edmunds...the fact is that the haters were and are 100% WRONG when they wrote the most stupid things ever...that Edmunds is a “bust”, the “worst MLB in the NFL”...a "liability” and on and on and on.

I’m not going to rehash all the things I have written and presented links to the past two years. I’ve made my case which has never been refuted.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by ghz in pittsburgh View Post
    @notacon, Edmunds is a good player. But he is not Allen's level on D. In other words, he's no Ray Lewis who raises everyone else's level. Being drafted in the same year as Josh, both 1st rounder, both the Bills traded up to, both physical freaks; naturally the expectations are similar. I do admit Allen far, far exceeded my expectation. I'd be happy at the time that Allen to turn out to be a Matt Ryan, Stafford kind of guy.
    I, nor anyone else has said that Edmunds is on “Allen’s level on D”. NEVER have I even suggested that.

What I have said, and has never been refuted is the crap too may haters have laid down was total bull****.

Joe. B.’s spot on article lays out the case quite nicely....and the premise has been backed up by literally every NFL professional expert. Period.

In any event, getting into the same rehash is just silly....and I’m going to bug out of this thread because it’s just not worth the effort or stirring up the vitriol that will inevitably be spewed from the haters.

My battery is low and it's getting dark. ParanoidAndroid's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,709 Times in 3,428 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

And look at Milano this year. That dude is playing out of his mind.

30. Post thanked by:

Kenny (10-03-2022),The last buffalo fan (10-03-2022)

I told the pet store guy "How else am I supposed to get the mouse out of my ass?" The last buffalo fan's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 1,741 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Go Bills!
    The Mexican & too!!

- Adriano & Emiliano, the next Villa & Zapata. Viva Mexico, cabrones!!! -

32. Post thanked by:

Woodman (12-09-2022)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by notacon View Post
    That is dishonest. 50 NFL GM’s, coaches, scouts and players THREE years in a row. Two Pro Bowls. I can provide lots more positive observations concerning Edmunds...the fact is that the haters were and are 100% WRONG when they wrote the most stupid things ever...that Edmunds is a “bust”, the “worst MLB in the NFL”...a "liability” and on and on and on.

I’m not going to rehash all the things I have written and presented links to the past two years. I’ve made my case which has never been refuted.
    provide quotes with names.

Thanks
    Thanked 30,584 Times in 17,462 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Having Von should elevate the play of the rest of the defense, he's probably a first ballot HOFer at one of the most important positions on the field. It's huge that he brings leadership with him, for the entire locker room.
    YardRat Wall of Fame
    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Thanks
    Thanked 5,219 Times in 3,688 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Let’s see if we can close playoff teams out with short time remaining in the playoffs.