Thread: Steelers expected to move forward with rookie Kenny Pickett

Thanks
    Thanked 7,522 Times in 6,084 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Steelers expected to move forward with rookie Kenny Pickett

https://www.nfl.com/news/steelers-ex...rting-quarterb

After catching a glimpse of its future at quarterback last Sunday, Pittsburgh will begin the Kenny Pickett era in Week 5.

The Steelers are expected to move forward with Pickett as their starting QB, replacing veteran Mitchell Trubisky, NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport reported Monday, per a source.

Pittsburgh will go forward with what is considered an inevitable move after the team selected Pickett with the No. 20 overall pick in April. Trubisky won a three-man QB competition against Pickett and Mason Rudolph during training camp, but loses his job after four games.

28 **60 **128 **133 **144 **160
    163 **189 **200 **204 **248

Asst to Dean Vernon Wormer POTLAND PSILBYLO's Avatar
    Portland, Oregon Cocoa Mate: Mandy Pepperidge
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,754 Times in 3,308 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: Steelers expected to move forward with rookie Kenny Pickett

Yes he can

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

The Steelers moved the ball well with Pickett at the helm, but rookie mistakes would soon rear its ugly head. Pickett's second INT was a bad throw that aided a Jets fourth-quarter comeback with 3:42 left to play in the game. His third pick came on a desperate Hail Mary into the end zone down four points from the Jets' 48-yard line.

At the end of the day, none of Pickett's 13 pass attempts hit the turf. The 24-year-old completed 10 of those passes for 120 yards and the other three were caught by Jets defenders. Pickett added 15 yards rushing on six attempts with those two scores.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,377 Times in 1,479 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

That's all you hear in the 'burgh. Pickett, Pickett, Pickett.

Like Woodman said Pickett moved ball on the Jets yesterday, which is fresh air compared to the dull boring offense people watch the Steelers with Mitch at the helm starting the season. Not surprised people are yawning for him. Plus he played at Pitt, probably the best QB Pitt had for a long, long time (Flacco spent one year as a freshman QB for the Pitt Panthers, but soon transferred to Delaware and started there for 3 years. Flacco could not unseat Tyler Palko, who wound up undrafted but bounced around in NFL for 4 years; now the Pitt football color commentator). The word in Pittsburgh was that the Steelers drafted Pickett 1st round because the Rooney family did not want another Marino mistake (that the Steelers passed on the local product - Central Catholic high school, Pitt, then Dolphins).

By the way Bill's Damar Hamlin was also born here in Pittsburgh, went to Central Catholic, then Pitt. He started over Jaquan Johnson yesterday when Poyer came back even though he's listed as Poyer's backup.

Thanks
    Thanked 11,638 Times in 7,707 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Good for the rookie.

With the stellar organization behind him, this kid has a fantastic opportunity to develop into a good NFL starting QB.

Eventually.

This Sunday, he is going to be thrown to the wolves with little more than his bare hands to protect himself.....into the deep end with no life jacket.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Steelers name Kenny Pickett starting quarterback

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...g-quarterback/

Thanks
    Thanked 3,408 Times in 1,992 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by ghz in pittsburgh View Post
    That's all you hear in the 'burgh. Pickett, Pickett, Pickett.

Like Woodman said Pickett moved ball on the Jets yesterday, which is fresh air compared to the dull boring offense people watch the Steelers with Mitch at the helm starting the season. Not surprised people are yawning for him. Plus he played at Pitt, probably the best QB Pitt had for a long, long time (Flacco spent one year as a freshman QB for the Pitt Panthers, but soon transferred to Delaware and started there for 3 years. Flacco could not unseat Tyler Palko, who wound up undrafted but bounced around in NFL for 4 years; now the Pitt football color commentator). The word in Pittsburgh was that the Steelers drafted Pickett 1st round because the Rooney family did not want another Marino mistake (that the Steelers passed on the local product - Central Catholic high school, Pitt, then Dolphins).

By the way Bill's Damar Hamlin was also born here in Pittsburgh, went to Central Catholic, then Pitt. He started over Jaquan Johnson yesterday when Poyer came back even though he's listed as Poyer's backup.
    It would be fun to see Hamlin and Dane Jackson get some picks against their former Pitt teammate.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

By the way I met Hamlin's mom once. She owns a state-subsidized daycare center here (no my kid didn't go there, really in one of bad neighborhood here). it's a chance event I won't name it but she saw me having a Bills hat on and said to me my son playing for your team. Very talkative lady. Showed me a lot of pics of Damar on her phone. The only thing I don't like is the number of pics of him wearing Steelers' jerseys childhood to adulthood.

Registered User Forward_Lateral's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,010 Times in 4,236 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Trubisky sucks. Man he looks like Trent Edwards 2.0

Thanks
    Thanked 26,218 Times in 13,683 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I get why they're doing it. If I were a Steelers fan, my thought process would probably be that this year is lost and the smart thing would be to play Picket and get him some experience. They might only win one or two more games, but a 3 win season with a rookie QB gaining experience is better than a 5 or 6 win season under Mitch.

That being said, the timing is pretty bad. The Bills are one of the better teams in the NFL and it's a brutal road environment.

As far as Mitch goes, it's disappointing. He was never very good in Chicago, but he looked good in his limited action with us, and a lot of people thought that maybe the Bears just mismanaged him and he could become a viable starter. Doesn't look that that will ever happen.

11. Post thanked by:

Cntrygal (10-04-2022),kgun12 (10-04-2022),notacon (10-05-2022)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Well when it comes to football, there are a lot of irrational people out there.

There is a guy at work holding the positional of manager that I deal with often. He's a PITT graduate long time ago and follows both Pitt and Steelers football. He has the straight faced telling me yesterday that Had Pickett started the season for the Steelers, they would be 4-0 now.

He also reminded me the Steelers beat the Bills last year, but he did quickly add that "not sure this year."

2020-2023 AFC East Champions! Historian's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 28,074 Times in 15,285 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Forward_Lateral View Post
    Trubisky sucks. Man he looks like Trent Edwards 2.0
    More like Van Pelt 2.0

14. Post thanked by:

imbondz (10-05-2022)

Registered User kscdogbillsfan1221's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,873 Times in 2,066 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by ghz in pittsburgh View Post
    Well when it comes to football, there are a lot of irrational people out there.

There is a guy at work holding the positional of manager that I deal with often. He's a PITT graduate long time ago and follows both Pitt and Steelers football. He has the straight faced telling me yesterday that Had Pickett started the season for the Steelers, they would be 4-0 now.

He also reminded me the Steelers beat the Bills last year, but he did quickly add that "not sure this year."
    Lived there for six years (Scott township) and steeler fans are the most insufferable fan base I have personally lived with.

nothing makes me cheer with glee more than a steeler loss and them struggling
    and that includes the afc east rivals

they are literally a blocked PAT attempt from being 0 and 4, and I could not be happier for their complete ****ing misery.

i hope we beat them into the next decade

in case you can’t figure it out, I do not like the Steelers
    I came.
    I saw.
    I conquered.

16. Post thanked by:

Cntrygal (10-04-2022),Mad Bomber (10-05-2022)

Buckle me in on the highway of sin mightysimi's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,015 Times in 1,379 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Love this quote from Tomlin ""Obviously we have a level of concern about the environment we're taking him into, but you have a level of concern about any quarterback that you take into that environment versus that defense and that venue," Tomlin said."

18. Post thanked by:

sukie (10-05-2022)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Historian View Post
    More like Van Pelt 2.0
    Just not as fluffy.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,085 Times in 5,849 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by kscdogbillsfan1221 View Post
    Lived there for six years (Scott township) and steeler fans are the most insufferable fan base I have personally lived with.

they are literally a blocked PAT attempt from being 0 and 4, and I could not be happier for their complete ****ing misery.

So you enjoyed your time there and endeared yourself to the locals, I see.

Thanks
    Thanked 26,218 Times in 13,683 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by kscdogbillsfan1221 View Post

It's because they're spoiled. I've been watching football for well over 30 years. In that time period, the Steelers have generally been very good. Even when they're "bad", they're like 7-9 for one year and then right back in the playoffs the next year. They don't have seasons with 5 wins or less. They don't have multi-year playoff droughts.

Because of this, their fans feel entitled to wins.

The two worst fan bases are Steelers fans and Patriots "fans", especially Pats fans who are too young to remember how awful they were pre-Bledsoe.

Retired - On Several Levels Night Train's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,240 Times in 7,618 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I expect our D front 7 to move forward towards him Sunday...quite often.
    Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

The one thing the Steelers have going for them is their owner, the Rooney's seems to have just the right touch. They have enough football IQ to push for a QB like Roethlisberger when the scouting and coaching staff thought otherwise, yet they are not overbearing on every decision like Jerry Jones /Jimmy Haslam is doing.

We are into early Pegula's reign as Bills owner. They seems to be relying completely on the GM/HC type. It is well known that Terry really liked Mahomes but when Whaley and scouting department didn't want to go with it, he deferred to McDermott. So the critical things is for the Pegula's to have good GM/HC in place, kind of like the Ravens model.
    Last edited by ghz in pittsburgh; 10-05-2022 at 03:12 AM.

One Now
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Interesting analysis of Pickett's first NFL game from a post on a Steelers Fan Forum:

negative are....
    - Kenny first throw was just an error. so move on. Big Ben second pass an interception to open field.
    - Claypool is open a good bit. was he afraid to throw to Claypool? because Kenny sees Claypool open several times
    - Kenny toss back to warren was on Kenny
    - He reads the field great majority of the time. but lacked reading the field a few plays.

positive. there is a lot. For someone who had 10 minutes to prepare and did not practice with the first team for those 10 days. this was impressive. honestly because of that I give him an 9 out of ten. and without that, I give him an 8 out of ten.
    - made some throws that veterans cannot make.
    - leads the ball
    - not afraid to take a hit.
    - not afraid to take a run where he just goes for it. he doesn't try to play games of dancing around.
    - 65 yards was the distance of the hail marry.gets the ball out fast
    - scans the field
    - rarely gets locked in on a target
    - not a single 3 and out. which Trubisky ranked 31 with most 3 and outs. So now our defense can get some rest.
    Last edited by Kaziganth; 10-05-2022 at 03:48 AM.