Thread: Bills Wide Receiver Has Troubling Admission After Entering Concussion Protocol

Thanks
    Thanked 13,409 Times in 9,123 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Bills Wide Receiver Has Troubling Admission After Entering Concussion Protocol

Bills Wide Receiver Has Troubling Admission After Entering Concussion Protocol

McKenzie remains in concussion protocol at this moment. While it seems he's in good spirits, he recently made a troubling admission during an appearance on the Go Long podcast.

McKenzie revealed that last Sunday's hit was so hard that he couldn't move after it happened.

“I think that was my hardest hit I’ve ever gotten. That was the hardest one. Because I couldn’t move. So that has to be the hardest one,” McKenzie said, via ProFootballTalk.

Even though McKenzie went through a very scary experience he acknowledged that it's part of the game.

“It comes with the territory,” McKenzie added. “We choose to play this sport and we know it’s a brutal sport. That’s what happens, and you’ve got to be fine with it. You’ve got to be fine with getting hurt, you’ve got to be fine with getting a concussion, you’ve got to be fine with everything that comes with it. That’s why you sign the contract. So I was fine with it.”

McKenzie has been a consistent contributor for Buffalo this season, hauling in 15 passes for 153 yards and three touchdowns.

It's unclear if McKenzie will be cleared in time for the Bills' upcoming matchup.
    Last edited by swiper; 10-05-2022 at 03:18 AM.

Registered User Forward_Lateral's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,009 Times in 4,235 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: Bills Wide Receiver Has Troubling Admission After Entering Concussion Protocol

Should've been a penalty.

Thanks
    Thanked 11,636 Times in 7,706 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: Bills Wide Receiver Has Troubling Admission After Entering Concussion Protocol

I listened to McKenzie’s weekly pod cast (from Go Long) and his description of what happened was “troubling”.

He said that despite the fact that he could not move, he was alert and knew what was going on. His lack of feeling was momentary, but enough for the Bills trainer to tell him to not even try to get up for a little while. They asked him if he had any “tingling” in his extremities, and he remembers say “no...I can’t feel anything"

His first question, while on the ground, was “did I get the first down”??? What a baller.

When it was determined that he could move, he got up and ran to the locker room. While there, they asked him the multiple questions to help determine if he was concussed. He answered all with little difficulty.

He said he wanted to get back into the game, but the Bills trainers ruled him out because he had that momentary non-feeling.

Listen or watch the podcast. It’s really interesting.

4. Post thanked by:

Cntrygal (10-05-2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,875 Times in 911 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by notacon View Post
    He said he wanted to get back into the game, but the Bills trainers ruled him out because he had that momentary non-feeling.
    I, for one, am glad that we have more responsible people on the training staff than those ass-hats in Miami.
    "'Clean up your room.', 'Stand up straight.', 'Pick up your feet.', 'Take it like a man.', 'Be nice to your sister.', 'Don't mix beer and wine, ever.'. Oh yeah, 'Don't drive on the railroad track.'"

"Eh, Phil. That's one I happen to agree with."

6. Post thanked by:

Cntrygal (10-05-2022),Dr. Lecter (10-05-2022),Night Train (10-05-2022),notacon (10-05-2022),sukie (10-05-2022),zone (10-05-2022)

Retired - On Several Levels Night Train's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,240 Times in 7,618 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

This is why the PS has doubled in size. It's needed.
    Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Thanks
    Thanked 13,409 Times in 9,123 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

He said that despite the fact that he could not move, he was alert and knew what was going on. His lack of feeling was momentary, but
    The medical folks refer to that as "locked-in syndrome." You are awake, alert. You can hear and see. You can't move. Often happens during a stroke. Also paralytic anesthesia can do this to you.

9. Post thanked by:

notacon (10-06-2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,564 Times in 2,153 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

The good news is that after that hit, all future hits will be a piece of cake.
    I've made up my mind. Don't confuse me with the facts.

I'm the most reasonable poster here. If you don't agree, I'll be forced to have a hissy fit.

Visually stunning but camera-shy. Cntrygal's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,593 Times in 4,537 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I listened to McKenzie’s weekly pod cast (from Go Long) and his description of what happened was “troubling”.

He said that despite the fact that he could not move, he was alert and knew what was going on. His lack of feeling was momentary, but enough for the Bills trainer to tell him to not even try to get up for a little while. They asked him if he had any “tingling” in his extremities, and he remembers say “no...I can’t feel anything"

His first question, while on the ground, was “did I get the first down”??? What a baller.

When it was determined that he could move, he got up and ran to the locker room. While there, they asked him the multiple questions to help determine if he was concussed. He answered all with little difficulty.

Listen or watch the podcast. It’s really interesting.
    This was a great interview! Thanks!
    The biggest thing we learned from the Bills is that they are a resilient bunch and did what they had to do to win instead of past years where they fold like a cheap lawn chair.

For news, articles and other "stuff"... BillsZone.com

12. Post thanked by:

notacon (10-06-2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,521 Times in 6,083 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Forward_Lateral View Post
    Should've been a penalty.
    Absolutely.

28 **60 **128 **133 **144 **160
    163 **189 **200 **204 **248