Was Singletary's pass-catching so poor we needed a 2nd rd pick to address it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Oaf
    Do you read what you write?
    • Jun 2007

Was Singletary's pass-catching so poor we needed a 2nd rd pick to address it?

Cook seems like a wasted pick. Why not draft BPA elsewhere and get an actual bruiser RB later in the draft? I was disappointed we didn't go IOL early and figured it was a vote of confidence in Cody Ford. Guess that didn't work out.

Besides injuries, I feel like poor OL performance is our biggest risk to a deep run/SB this year.

• Woodman
    Legendary Zoner
    • Apr 2014

Re: Was Singletary's pass-catching so poor we needed a 2nd rd pick to address it?

Not ready to give up on Cook ... we needed another RB.

Having said that I love picking trench people more than anything else.

28 **60 **128 **133 **144 **160
    163 **189 **200 **204 **248

Comment

• Mace
      Haha...yeah you think so ?
      • Mar 2013

Re: Was Singletary's pass-catching so poor we needed a 2nd rd pick to address it?

Not worried about the OL. They impressively won their first two games, Miami was just fubar and injuries, they beat the Ravens coming off of that. We're 4 games in.

My biggest concern is the running backs who can't accelerate to hit a hole, hit a 2nd gear to burst away if they do, can't run laterally around anyone, and are sorely tested to gain 1 yard when needed. I do not blame this on the line because I have seen holes the running back cannot get to, and I have seen running backs just run straight ahead into a pile.

Comment

• YardRat
        Well, lookie here...
        • Dec 2004

We're not getting much return on the draft capital Beane has spent on the running back room.
        YardRat Wall of Fame
        #56 DARRYL TALLEY
        #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• Cali512
          • Jan 2012

Hes been bad this year but idk if itd due to him being bad or the OL plus lack of touches

In any event, im rescinding my "Singeltary is an elite RB take" and promoting my "We dont need Crowder take"
          Not here to be right, just here to have interesting discussions about my impulsive opinions

Comment

• Mace
            • Mar 2013

Originally posted by YardRat View Post
            We're not getting much return on the draft capital Beane has spent on the running back room.
            As the season goes, I think they need to move away from even thinking to use Moss any more and trying to let Cook get his game under him with some specific usage that isn't meant for the Singletary/Moss type of not much but maybe once in a rare while. Still think Singletary is the ideal backup to someone.

Don't really understand their rb philosophy. I mean, even if you want "just a guy", you can find better "just a guy"s, imho.

Comment

• kingJofNYC
              • Sep 2009

The guy barely got run at Georgia. I don't think they took him because he was some outstanding pass catcher, Singletary's a free agent and he's not going to get resigned, that was probably the impetus into drafting him. They felt he was the BPA I guess.

I mean they couldn't spend anymore capital on DL, or WR, outside of Safety and OL they have pretty good depth. Whatever, I'm not worried about Cook, OL will be an issue, always will be because we're behind the eight ball. Outside of Dawkins they haven't been able to really develop anyone, and they've made selections too, they just haven't paid off yet, jury still out on Brown.

Comment

• Woodman
                Legendary Zoner
                • Apr 2014

Originally posted by Mace View Post
                As the season goes, I think they need to move away from even thinking to use Moss any more and trying to let Cook get his game under him with some specific usage that isn't meant for the Singletary/Moss type of not much but maybe once in a rare while. Still think Singletary is the ideal backup to someone.

Don't really understand their rb philosophy. I mean, even if you want "just a guy", you can find better "just a guy"s, imho.
                Moss has been a total disappointment.

Time to ride the pine.

Comment

• Crisis
                  • Aug 2004

Moss is Trent Richardson-lite. Same vision issues and not even as athletic as Richardson was.
                  Originally posted by LOSman WINS
                  Vanek is Austrian not European
                  Originally posted by Prov401
                  Pacquiao isn't asian. He's from the philippines
                  Originally posted by better days
                  I will not be surprised if Tebow has more success than Peyton in the NFL.

Comment

• Woodman
                    Legendary Zoner
                    • Apr 2014

Originally posted by Crisis View Post
                    Moss is Trent Richardson-lite. Same vision issues and not even as athletic as Richardson was.
                    Right on you pegged him.

Comment

• cookie G
                      • Mar 2003

I like Motor. I don't get the hate for him

Comment

• Mace
                        • Mar 2013

Originally posted by Crisis View Post
                        Astounding thing about Richardson, and I've mocked him terrible over the years, is that he's absolutely money to gain a yard of turf. That's all he ever gets, or that you can expect, with some inches, but he gets a yard no matter how woeful it is with open space everywhere else, but he gets his damn yard on a play, no matter how horrible it looks, and I can't believe I'm talking him up for it.

Comment

• Mace
                          • Mar 2013

Originally posted by cookie G View Post
                          He's the best number two back you can have, but won't change anything besides being putting a running back on the field who can run some sometimes and catch some sometimes, and might make a play sometimes while giving it his best always. He's a something sometimes guy who isn't a threat on a theoretical contender.

Comment

• Woodman
                            Legendary Zoner
                            • Apr 2014

Originally posted by cookie G View Post
                            I like him to just hoping for more consistency.

Moss I have no use for at least so far.

His time is just about up from what i've seen.

Motor is a solid blocker, IMO he's worked hard on that part of his game.

Comment

• Prov401
                              President of WADL (Whitner Anti-Defamation League)
                              • Aug 2008

Singletary has an average of 4.7 yards per carry. In his career. That's behind an o line that has been way better at pass protection than run blocking over the course of his tenure here. He picks up blitzes very well. His catching isn't elite but it's good. And above all, he's got heart. Cook has showed nothing up to this point. Beane needs to work on his 2nd round picks.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              😂
                              🥰
                              😘
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😞
                              😡
                              👍