Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Was Singletary's pass-catching so poor we needed a 2nd rd pick to address it?

Do you read what you write? Oaf's Avatar
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Question Was Singletary's pass-catching so poor we needed a 2nd rd pick to address it?

Cook seems like a wasted pick. Why not draft BPA elsewhere and get an actual bruiser RB later in the draft? I was disappointed we didn't go IOL early and figured it was a vote of confidence in Cody Ford. Guess that didn't work out.

Besides injuries, I feel like poor OL performance is our biggest risk to a deep run/SB this year.

2. Post thanked by:

TheConsigliere (10-08-2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,521 Times in 6,083 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: Was Singletary's pass-catching so poor we needed a 2nd rd pick to address it?

Not ready to give up on Cook ... we needed another RB.

Having said that I love picking trench people more than anything else.

28 **60 **128 **133 **144 **160
    163 **189 **200 **204 **248

4. Post thanked by:

Jeff1220 (10-07-2022),kgun12 (10-06-2022)

Haha...yeah you think so ? Mace's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,468 Times in 9,174 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: Was Singletary's pass-catching so poor we needed a 2nd rd pick to address it?

Not worried about the OL. They impressively won their first two games, Miami was just fubar and injuries, they beat the Ravens coming off of that. We're 4 games in.

My biggest concern is the running backs who can't accelerate to hit a hole, hit a 2nd gear to burst away if they do, can't run laterally around anyone, and are sorely tested to gain 1 yard when needed. I do not blame this on the line because I have seen holes the running back cannot get to, and I have seen running backs just run straight ahead into a pile.

6. Post thanked by:

kgun12 (10-06-2022),YardRat (10-06-2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 30,467 Times in 17,375 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

We're not getting much return on the draft capital Beane has spent on the running back room.
    YardRat Wall of Fame
    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

8. Post thanked by:

kgun12 (10-06-2022),Mace (10-06-2022),TheConsigliere (10-08-2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,948 Times in 1,276 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Hes been bad this year but idk if itd due to him being bad or the OL plus lack of touches

In any event, im rescinding my "Singeltary is an elite RB take" and promoting my "We dont need Crowder take"

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by YardRat View Post
    We're not getting much return on the draft capital Beane has spent on the running back room.
    As the season goes, I think they need to move away from even thinking to use Moss any more and trying to let Cook get his game under him with some specific usage that isn't meant for the Singletary/Moss type of not much but maybe once in a rare while. Still think Singletary is the ideal backup to someone.

Don't really understand their rb philosophy. I mean, even if you want "just a guy", you can find better "just a guy"s, imho.

11. Post thanked by:

Cntrygal (10-06-2022),kgun12 (10-06-2022),TheConsigliere (10-08-2022),YardRat (10-06-2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,961 Times in 1,235 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

The guy barely got run at Georgia. I don't think they took him because he was some outstanding pass catcher, Singletary's a free agent and he's not going to get resigned, that was probably the impetus into drafting him. They felt he was the BPA I guess.

I mean they couldn't spend anymore capital on DL, or WR, outside of Safety and OL they have pretty good depth. Whatever, I'm not worried about Cook, OL will be an issue, always will be because we're behind the eight ball. Outside of Dawkins they haven't been able to really develop anyone, and they've made selections too, they just haven't paid off yet, jury still out on Brown.

13. Post thanked by:

sukie (10-07-2022)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Mace View Post
    As the season goes, I think they need to move away from even thinking to use Moss any more and trying to let Cook get his game under him with some specific usage that isn't meant for the Singletary/Moss type of not much but maybe once in a rare while. Still think Singletary is the ideal backup to someone.

Don't really understand their rb philosophy. I mean, even if you want "just a guy", you can find better "just a guy"s, imho.
    Moss has been a total disappointment.

Time to ride the pine.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,428 Times in 1,119 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Moss is Trent Richardson-lite. Same vision issues and not even as athletic as Richardson was.
    Quote Originally Posted by LOSman WINS
    Vanek is Austrian not European
    Quote Originally Posted by Prov401
    Pacquiao isn't asian. He's from the philippines
    Quote Originally Posted by better days
    I will not be surprised if Tebow has more success than Peyton in the NFL.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Crisis View Post
    Moss is Trent Richardson-lite. Same vision issues and not even as athletic as Richardson was.
    Right on you pegged him.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,877 Times in 4,006 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I like Motor. I don't get the hate for him

18. Post thanked by:

imbondz (10-09-2022),Jeff1220 (10-07-2022),kingJofNYC (10-07-2022),Night Train (10-08-2022),TheConsigliere (10-08-2022)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Crisis View Post
    Astounding thing about Richardson, and I've mocked him terrible over the years, is that he's absolutely money to gain a yard of turf. That's all he ever gets, or that you can expect, with some inches, but he gets a yard no matter how woeful it is with open space everywhere else, but he gets his damn yard on a play, no matter how horrible it looks, and I can't believe I'm talking him up for it.

20. Post thanked by:

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by cookie G View Post
    He's the best number two back you can have, but won't change anything besides being putting a running back on the field who can run some sometimes and catch some sometimes, and might make a play sometimes while giving it his best always. He's a something sometimes guy who isn't a threat on a theoretical contender.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I like him to just hoping for more consistency.

Moss I have no use for at least so far.

His time is just about up from what i've seen.

Motor is a solid blocker, IMO he's worked hard on that part of his game.

President of WADL (Whitner Anti-Defamation League) Prov401's Avatar
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Singletary has an average of 4.7 yards per carry. In his career. That's behind an o line that has been way better at pass protection than run blocking over the course of his tenure here. He picks up blitzes very well. His catching isn't elite but it's good. And above all, he's got heart. Cook has showed nothing up to this point. Beane needs to work on his 2nd round picks.

24. Post thanked by:

Thanks
    Thanked 9,084 Times in 5,849 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Not ready to even have an opinion on Cook but the other two?

Singles (not Motor -cuz he really doesn’t motor) is very good at blocking. Chipping a lineman is important and he has shown abilities as a pass catcher. He has had some good runs. Actually broke some tackles, made a few people miss.

you can say (whiny voice) “he doesn’t get enough touches!”

earn more touches!

he isn’t getting a big payday here. That is why Cook was drafted. RB might just be rookie contracts from now on.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,961 Times in 1,235 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Yeah, I don't think he's that bad, the OL blocking is that bad however. We've had a lot backs here, and none have shown anything besides Singletary. THe blocking is the biggest issue.

27. Post thanked by:

Retired - On Several Levels Night Train's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,240 Times in 7,618 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

The Bills believe in a committee RB room of 2 to 3. Right or wrong. I'm sure an idea of snap counts per player was planned on paper.

Singletary has filled his quota. Moss has been hurt too often and ineffective most of the time he has played. I'm sure his spot was planned for Cook... but then he showed up needing a meal and pro confidence.

The OL can pass block some but has struggled in the running game. Zero push. The Guard play has been very bad so far. Spare me the pig lipstick. Hoping it improves. Kromer must be frustrated with what he is given to work with with.
    Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

29. Post thanked by:

Thanks
    Thanked 11,632 Times in 7,703 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by sukie View Post
    Not ready to even have an opinion on Cook but the other two?

Singles (not Motor -cuz he really doesn’t motor) is very good at blocking. Chipping a lineman is important and he has shown abilities as a pass catcher. He has had some good runs. Actually broke some tackles, made a few people miss.

you can say (whiny voice) “he doesn’t get enough touches!”

earn more touches!

he isn’t getting a big payday here. That is why Cook was drafted. RB might just be rookie contracts from now on.
    Josh Allen disagrees with your observation....

“I can't rave enough about what [Singletary] is, who he is and what he does for this team,” Allen said. “I urge everybody that's watching football, if you're a young kid, if you're in college, whatever, you turn on Devin Singletary tape and you watch him, how he strains to the ball, whether he's got it or not. … The dude, all he knows is work and that's why his [nickname] is 'Motor.'”
    Hmmmmmm.....one of the best (if not THE best) players in the NFL, and the unquestioned leader of the Bills, is quoted, by name.

Compared to an unnamed guy, who does not come anywhere close to working in the NFL.....who’s observation is more valuable and credible????

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

It's definitely a positive that Josh thinks that highly of him and it can only help both.