Thread: Chad Kelly 1st start.

The Meathead of Muslims! ticatfan's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,538 Times in 2,765 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: Chad Kelly 1st start.

Start of 4th.
    31 - 31
    Political correctness ( or cancel culture as it is called today) is a doctrine fostered by a delusional ,illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by MSM which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.
    Harry S Truman 1941.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

38 - 31 Tor. Punt return. 7 minutes left

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

39 - 31

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Signed a 3 yr extension with Argos.

Registered User Forward_Lateral's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,081 Times in 4,278 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by ticatfan View Post
    Signed a 3 yr extension with Argos.
    Highest paid player in the CFL

3 years, 1.8 million

6. Post thanked by:

ticatfan (09-01-2023)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Toronto Argonauts quarterback Chad Kelly sent a message to the pro football world with his three-year contract extension on Thursday.

“I wanted to do this because I want everybody to know that I’m committed to making this team better, to producing for Toronto,” the star pivot told the assembled Toronto media.

“I love it here. I want to spend the next 50 years here. This is my home now and I look forward to a lot of great memories to come and I just want to show that I’m committed to being here.”

Kelly’s new deal, which will keep him with the team through 2026, will pay him $1.865 million over the course of the contract. With $615,000 coming down the pipe in 2024 and $625,000 in each of the two subsequent seasons, the 29-year-old has claimed the title of the CFL’s highest-paid player.

However, the most important detail of the agreement may be the structure of his signing bonus. Kelly can collect $250,000 up front next year, but only if he doesn’t take advantage of the NFL window included in all CFL contracts. That would mean an NFL team would have to provide significant financial or playtime guarantees to make leaving Toronto worthwhile.

While he would not completely dismiss the possibility of returning to the NFL, Kelly was adamant about where his focus lies.

“I’m committed to being here right now and our focus is being here,” he said. “Do I want to stay in Toronto? Yes, I do. My focus is this year and whatever happens beyond is out of my control, but I’m committed to being a Toronto Argonaut.”

Kelly has long expressed a desire to return to the NFL, where he spent four seasons with the Indianapolis Colts and Denver Broncos after being selected with the final pick of the 2017 Draft. With the six-foot-two, 216-pound signal caller establishing himself as the frontrunner for Most Outstanding Player through the first half of the year, there could be interest this offseason despite his age.

Nevertheless, the story of Nathan Rourke has provided a cautionary tale for how the league down south values CFL quarterbacks in the pecking order. Kelly has now secured financial certainty that will be difficult to turn down. In exchange, the Argonauts have locked down a franchise player who has dazzled on the field and at the box office.

Having already inked head coach Ryan Dinwiddie to a multi-year extension in July, general manager Michael ‘Pinball’ Clemons believes the groundwork has been laid for the team to become perennial Grey Cup contenders.

“Having the two pillars of our organization locked up and moving forward is paramount to our long-term success,” he told reporters. “As we keep moving forward, there’ll be some other work that we certainly have to do as a part of that foundation. Two guys don’t make a foundation but they’re a heck of a start.”

Getting Kelly to put pen to paper hardly took an elite sales job, however. The quarterback has bought in to the community, the organization and the league.

“I haven’t had this much fun, honestly, since I was playing Grand Island Junior Vikings,” Kelly laughed, referencing his old minor football team.

“It’s about dedication, really. When you’re fully dedicated to what you love, everything makes it so much easier and you’re so much more thankful for everything you’ve been through.”

In his first season as a CFL starter, the Buffalo native has been playing like a little kid again. He’s completed 149-of-213 passes (70 percent) for 2,402 passing yards with 16 passing touchdowns versus seven interceptions in 2023 while rushing for 135 yards and six majors.

The Kelly-led Argos’ offence is averaging 29.2 offensive points per game and 380.9 yards of offence per game, both rank second in the CFL. That is about more than just the quarterback’s play on the field.

“I make the comparison to Doug Flutie. When Doug is on your team, that guy watches so much film, he just tells you what to do. Chad does it a different way,” Pinball explained.

“He has guys, more than we’ve ever had, staying in after the allotted time. Coming in early or staying late or both and studying together, watching film together. He’s exceeded every expectation.”

Those extra hours and added community work have become Kelly’s calling card in Toronto. He has matured into the starting role, bidding farewell to the rabble-rousing reputation that defined his time in college and the NFL.

Expectations for the Ole Miss product are high for the remainder of the season and the duration of this monster contract, but Clemons will not give voice to more pressure.

“The reality is Chad is going to speak for himself,” he said. “This is still the first half-season that he’s played as a starting quarterback and so we won’t write that script. We’ll leave that up to him, but I’m sure that, at some level, we won’t have to say anything. Because if he continues to move in this direction, we will be speechless.”

The Argos (8-1) are scheduled to return to action on Monday, September 4 when they take on the Hamilton Tiger-Cats (4-6) in the Labour Day Classic.

https://3downnation.com/2023/09/01/t...-nfl-question/

Registered User Forward_Lateral's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,081 Times in 4,278 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

It just reminds us that sometimes, it's not always about the money. He could probably sign with an NFL team as a backup next year, for probably the same, if not more money, but barring some kind of injury, who knows if he'd ever see the field? He loves to play the game. Making 600k a year here, he can have a great life. Plus he's very close to Buffalo, his home.

9. Post thanked by:

ticatfan (09-04-2023)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Labour day classic.
    Argo @ Ticats. 3:30 pm. CBS.
    Almost as big as the grey cup.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

B-25 and Lancaster flyover. Sweet!!

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Ticats suck.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

East final. Argos- Als. 3:00pm

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

38- 17 Montreal. Chad was brutal.

Thanks
    Thanked 12,424 Times in 7,292 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

What does a ticket cost for an Argos game? A good seat?

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

$13- $120. Average $40. Their site says. 26,500 at game today.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

It feels like a nightmare for Chad Kelly but it’s reality.

The Argonauts’ franchise quarterback had the worst performance of his Canadian Football League career to date as Montreal took down his 16-2 team 38-17 in the Eastern Final.

“You can’t turn the ball over as many times as we did on offence, I made it a lot harder on the defence than it should’ve been. This loss is on me, I take full responsibility [for] throwing those mistakes out there, playing careless with the football and trying to do too much,” Kelly said post-game.

The league’s all-star QB completed 21-of-36 passes (58.3 percent) for 246 yards with one touchdown and four interceptions. He fumbled once while turning it over three times on downs. However, Kelly was not sacked once in the game by the Alouettes.

“I think the O-line did a great job. We tried making adjustments. It wasn’t our night,” Kelly said.

Toronto tied the record for the best regular-season win total in CFL history, which had been singularly held by the 1989 Edmonton Football Team. Edmonton was famously upset in the Western Final by a 9-9 Saskatchewan Roughriders group who went on to capture the Grey Cup.

“No question it hurts more. If you were a 9-9 team, you come in here and things don’t work out your way… but the season we had and we’re playing at home in front of the crowd that showed up… we’re pretty embarrassed by the performance we gave to the city of Toronto and our fans,” Argos’ head coach Ryan Dinwiddie said.

“We were trying to make the big play and sometimes you’ve just gotta move the chains. He’s still a young quarterback, he’s only started 19 games. We feel like Chad is going to give us a chance to get back here next year. He’s hurting and we’re all hurting.”

During the regular schedule, Kelly completed 270-of-394 passes (69 percent) for 4,123 yards with 23 touchdowns versus 12 interceptions. The 29-year-old added 41 carries for 248 yards with eight majors on the ground in 18 games. The Double Blue won every game he played from start to finish.

Dinwiddie was “shocked” by the way No. 12 played at BMO Field in front of a record crowd of 26,620 on Saturday.

“One of the things I was trying to tell Chad going into this game — he didn’t have to be a superhero and sometimes we’ve got to let pays die. Unfortunately, we had two pick-sixes and that really changed the game,” Dinwiddie said. “At times, I think he was a little out of sorts. We turned the ball over too much. Our defence did enough for us to win that game.”

Kelly has to travel to Niagara Falls for the CFL Awards on Thursday night because he earned the East Division nomination for the league’s Most Outstanding Player award. He’ll only need to pack a suit and street clothes for the trip with the Als pulling a major upset that’s left him feeling numb.

“Words can’t explain the feeling I’m feeling right now, but I’m not in a position like that if it’s not for my teammates,” Kelly said. “I’m just thankful to have the group of guys around me like we do.”

https://3downnation.com/2023/11/12/t...ng-east-final/

Buckle me in on the highway of sin mightysimi's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,029 Times in 1,388 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Not completely sad the game went this way. Toronto was a good team.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by mightysimi View Post
    Not completely sad the game went this way. Toronto was a good team.
    True. Next year,they should still be strong. But any chance Kelly had to get back south, is gone.lol Go Als.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Grey cup should be a battle of the RBs.

21. Post thanked by:

mightysimi (11-16-2023)

Buckle me in on the highway of sin mightysimi's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,029 Times in 1,388 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by ticatfan View Post
    Grey cup should be a battle of the RBs.
    although Fajardo has been running a bit lately. Look at Ford in Edmonton, running QB is on the way in the CFL big time. Even Kelly runs a bunch. Collaros still needs an elite line and great WRs.

23. Post thanked by:

ticatfan (11-16-2023)