Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: The Bills Have a QB Problem

Thanks
    Thanked 5,379 Times in 3,853 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: The Bills Have a QB Problem

Quote Originally Posted by Goobylal View Post
    Josh is A reason for the 3 losses, but he had help. Lots of it. How many 3rd and 4th and longs did the defense allow in the Vikings' last drive in regulation? How many dropped passes were there in the games overall? What about protection? Fumbles by other players? To pin it all on him when he IS the offense is unfair at best.
    It takes a village...

2. Post thanked by:

Mace (11-16-2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 30,591 Times in 17,465 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Dorsey is a first time OC, there are going to be expected bumps in the road. Having an experienced and successful QB is a huge plus, but every year even the most experienced and talented coordinators get caught by an opponents gameplan...they watch film and are pretty good at it too.

Receivers have been dropping balls that we have gotten used to them coming down with...that isn't helping. Maybe the last int is a result of Allen's injury, but 1---then he shouldn't have played to begin with and 2---he was turning the ball over similarly before the injury.

Josh (and the rest of the team...including the coaches) just need to pull their head out their asses mid-season yet again and all we can do is hope they finally learn something from these slumps so it doesn't bite them in the ass in the playoffs yet again or mid-season in future years yet again.
    Last edited by YardRat; 11-15-2022 at 01:25 PM.
    YardRat Wall of Fame
    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

4. Post thanked by:

Historian (11-16-2022),Mace (11-16-2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,098 Times in 3,577 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by sahlensguy View Post
    It takes a village...
    ...try not to be the idiot.

Unreachable Douche
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,925 Times in 4,375 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

The Bills had a QB problem for 30 years before Josh Allen. Josh Allen is the greatest QB in Bills history. Sorry Jimbo, Josh is better.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by TacklingDummy View Post
    The Bills had a QB problem for 30 years before Josh Allen. Josh Allen is the greatest QB in Bills history. Sorry Jimbo, Josh is better.
    I wish Josh had Jimbo's OL and Thurman.

8. Post thanked by:

Mace (11-16-2022),TacklingDummy (11-15-2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,625 Times in 6,175 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Even better than Warren Rabb.
    FSU WR K. Coleman #33
    Utah DB C. Bishop #60
    Duke DT D. Carter #95
    Kentucky RB R.Davis #128
    Georgia C S.VanPran-Granger #141
    Washington LB Edefuan Ulofoshio #160
    Troy DE J.Solomon #168
    UCF OT T.Grable #204
    Penn ST. CB D.Hardy #219
    England OT T.Clayton #221

10. Post thanked by:

Historian (11-16-2022),Mace (11-16-2022)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

...try not to be the idiot.
    No worries. Goober.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

No worries. Goober.
    That wasn't meant for you necessarily. Just something I say when someone says "it takes a village."

Thanks
    Thanked 7,625 Times in 6,175 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...al-than-it-is/

“Let’s go about our business. We don’t have to make this a bigger deal than what it is,” Allen said. “We want to win every single game. When we step out on the field, I think it’s our goal, I think it’s everybody’s goal, to win that game. Find a way to do it. Obviously, we haven’t done that in the last couple of weeks. . . . It’s not like we’re not a bad team. We’ve been hurting ourselves a lot. If we can make smarter decisions, if we can play situational football and complementary football, that’s all we gotta do.”

2020-2023 AFC East Champions! Historian's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 28,344 Times in 15,479 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I think the injuries have a lot to do with it, especially in the secondary, but he has made some odd decisions with the ball in the last three games.

And Opie is still a first time HC. He's going to botch some decisions.

Look at the eggs Andy Reid laid in Philly.

I think they'll right the ship, but the margin for error this year is very small.

This is a tough conference.

15. Post thanked by:

Mace (11-16-2022)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Who was responsible for the fumbled snap?

Unreachable Douche
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,925 Times in 4,375 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Dorsey.

Put Josh in shotgun. Scramble around, if no one is open, throw the ball 70 yards down field. Rinse and repeat, rinse and repeat.

18. Post thanked by:

Mace (11-16-2022)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Dorsey.

Put Josh in shotgun. Scramble around, if no one is open, throw the ball 70 yards down field. Rinse and repeat, rinse and repeat.
    Even with a clean snap there is a fair risk of losing the half yard with a sneak. Just a horrible call.

20. Post thanked by:

Mace (11-16-2022),TacklingDummy (11-16-2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,422 Times in 1,509 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Don't get me started on this one.

The big picture: the play is lined up that everyone knows it's a QB sneak. Tight formation and Davis in the back field. What do you think is the play? We are going man-o-man to push you back. Again, the flow of the game, have we been able to do that this game, or in recent games?

The execution: Brady was so successful in QB sneak, not because he is bigger and stronger than Josh, nor does he always have the better O-Line in front, but his varying cadence. I don't know what Josh used there. Apparently the Vikings got a good jump and blew Morse up right off the bat. I was expecting Josh to use more cadence there. What if we jumped early? another half inch back and who cares.

Registered User kscdogbillsfan1221's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,907 Times in 2,087 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by ghz in pittsburgh View Post

The big picture: the play is lined up that everyone knows it's a QB sneak. Tight formation and Davis in the back field. What do you think is the play? We are going man-o-man to push you back. Again, the flow of the game, have we been able to do that this game, or in recent games?

The execution: Brady was so successful in QB sneak, not because he is bigger and stronger than Josh, nor does he always have the better O-Line in front, but his varying cadence. I don't know what Josh used there. Apparently the Vikings got a good jump and blew Morse up right off the bat. I was expecting Josh to use more cadence there. What if we jumped early? another half inch back and who cares.
    good point.
    why not try to make them jump offsides. they do that. it's ballgame.
    I came.
    I saw.
    I conquered.

Thanks
    Thanked 11,720 Times in 7,773 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Mace View Post
    To blame the coaches isn't silly, this is the 6th year of a program getting progressively more talented because of the GM, but the results remain similar. That's not singularly on a player, no matter which one. Coaches are supposed to lead, guide and direct what players two, compensate, adapt and find solutions via scheming and matchups.

It's utterly stupid to completely ignore the impact of coaching 6 years into a program, even if someone only has a knowledge level that is elementary.

Which coaches, that's debatable, but the impact of decisions has been very clear to date.
    Yes, it absolute is “silly” to blame the coaches for Josh’s head-up-his-ass throws in the three losses the Bills have suffered this year.

The TEAM is fine. The TEAM has played more than well enough to win every game this year....despite having an insane number of starters missing games left and right.

The ONLY thing that has stopped them from winning, is Josh Allen’s brain farts.

As was mentioned Monday night, Philadelphia has SEVENTEEN starters that have played every game this year. According to my quick research, the Bills have only EIGHT starters that have played every game. Only THREE defensive starters.

The fact that they still are 6-3, and the three games they lost were VERY winnable, EXCEPT for Josh’s ****-ups, shows GOOD coaching, not the opposite.

To ignore this is to ignore plain reality.

Thanks
    Thanked 11,720 Times in 7,773 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I’ve said what I wanted to say in this thread. After listening to Isaiah McKenzie’s pod cast, especially about the mental part of th NFL game I am convinced more than ever that the issues with Josh Allen is all n his head.

It’s a long season. The pressure is astounding with the hopes and dreams of the whole WNY area on Josh’s shoulders. It is natural that he thinks HE has to find a way to win each game. He wants it SO badly.

It reminds me of the famous quote from the father of golf, Bobby Jones....

"Competitive golf is played mainly on a five-and-a-half-inch course... the space between your ears”.

It is accurate to apply the same mindset to professional football....

"Competitive NFL football is played mainly on a five-and-a-half-inch field... the space between your ears."

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by notacon View Post
    I’ve said what I wanted to say in this thread. After listening to Isaiah McKenzie’s pod cast, especially about the mental part of th NFL game I am convinced more than ever that the issues with Josh Allen is all n his head.

It’s a long season. The pressure is astounding with the hopes and dreams of the whole WNY area on Josh’s shoulders. It is natural that he thinks HE has to find a way to win each game. He wants it SO badly.

It reminds me of the famous quote from the father of golf, Bobby Jones....

"Competitive golf is played mainly on a five-and-a-half-inch course... the space between your ears”.

It is accurate to apply the same mindset to professional football....

"Competitive NFL football is played mainly on a five-and-a-half-inch field... the space between your ears."
    Only one who is too objective can equate the trials and tribulations of a golfer to those of an athlete on a team sport such as football.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Dorsey.

Even with a clean snap there is a fair risk of losing the half yard with a sneak. Just a horrible call.
    Quote Originally Posted by ghz in pittsburgh View Post

So Morse screwed up? Because DT's are always trying to get the jump and I don't think Morse and Josh have fumbled the snap once this year, and in the most critical moment...they do.

Yeah I'm not sure why Josh didn't try to draw them off-sides. In addition, there should have been a RB behind him to at least give the appearance of a handoff and possibly to push him forward (if not recover the fumble). I thought QB sneak was the right call and that if it led to a safety, it wasn't the worst thing in the world.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,422 Times in 1,509 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

So Morse screwed up? Because DT's are always trying to get the jump and I don't think Morse and Josh have fumbled the snap once this year, and in the most critical moment...they do.

Yeah I'm not sure why Josh didn't try to draw them off-sides. In addition, there should have been a RB behind him to at least give the appearance of a handoff and possibly to push him forward (if not recover the fumble). I thought QB sneak was the right call and that if it led to a safety, it wasn't the worst thing in the world.
    In bunch formation is to prevent defenders shooting the gap. But it also makes the QB sneak difficult because it pretty much means the O-Line needs to push the defenders back to gain anything. In that case, the cadence is really important because Offense people know where the defenders have to watch the ball. It is not the right call with our staple of RBs ; probably why they have Davis back there. Davis can push but can also slip out to catch the ball. I'd say slipping out to catch the ball is the right play there.

Safety is the 2nd worst outcome. Up by 4 with 30 some seconds left. Now you are up by 2 and have to punt back to them. One jump ball to Jefferson and you are staring at losing by 1 to a field goal with no time left.