Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: The Bills Have a QB Problem

Raging hypocrite and resident troll Discotrish's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,531 Times in 3,994 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: The Bills Have a QB Problem

I'm on the fence about what's going on with Josh. One of two things.

1) Hidden injury that is bothering him.

2) Mental block that's causing him to regress. Barring the unstated injury, I'm favoring the latter explanation. He looks to me like he's shell-shocked from how things have gone sideways in the two prior losses, and the resulting criticism due to his high profile. Obviously I'm not the only former athlete here, but we all know when a player loses confidence that is TERRIBLE for your performance. That's what it looks like out there. A very tentative performance.

So, hopefully there's someone on the team who can talk him through this. Or, why not get a sports psychologist in there. That's what they're for! We've got a quarter billion invested in our QB. We should be every bit as concerned with his mental state as we are with his physical state.

Anyway that's how I'm seeing it. Hopefully he shakes this off and regains his mental dominance.

Because what we saw against the Browns was NOT adequate for a playoff run. And certainly not for a Super Bowl aspiration!

We won, but we had a lot of help from the Browns to get there.

We need Josh in the right headspace.
    Note: Discotrish information is Conspiralicious and has NO BASIS IN FACT. Considering her opinions may be HAZARDOUS TO YOUR HEALTH. Please do not get your medical advice from a subforum of a subforum of a sports message board.

2. Post thanked by:

kgun12 (11-25-2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,340 Times in 3,821 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Discotrish View Post
    I'm on the fence about what's going on with Josh. One of two things.

1) Hidden injury that is bothering him.

2) Mental block that's causing him to regress. Barring the unstated injury, I'm favoring the latter explanation. He looks to me like he's shell-shocked from how things have gone sideways in the two prior losses, and the resulting criticism due to his high profile. Obviously I'm not the only former athlete here, but we all know when a player loses confidence that is TERRIBLE for your performance. That's what it looks like out there. A very tentative performance.

So, hopefully there's someone on the team who can talk him through this. Or, why not get a sports psychologist in there. That's what they're for! We've got a quarter billion invested in our QB. We should be every bit as concerned with his mental state as we are with his physical state.

Anyway that's how I'm seeing it. Hopefully he shakes this off and regains his mental dominance.

Because what we saw against the Browns was NOT adequate for a playoff run. And certainly not for a Super Bowl aspiration!

We won, but we had a lot of help from the Browns to get there.

We need Josh in the right headspace.
    That's kinda of my thought. Trouble is there isn't really anyone to talk him through it. Daboll is gone and Dorsey hasn't found himself yet. Players can only say so much. And to make matters worse, his lack of any sort of celebrated and acknowledged success at the high school/college level gives him no foundation to fall back onto when times get tough. That early success can help give a guy like Alex Smith a long and productive NFL career. It helps Josh, not in the least.

Registered User kscdogbillsfan1221's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,899 Times in 2,082 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by swiper View Post
    He was awful for most of the 2nd quarter too. Then it was like a light switch was flipped.

https://www.audacy.com/wgr550/sports...n-detroit-2022

Glad I missed the first quarter.

For you sake I’m glad you did too

they got their first first down in the middle of the second quarter
    I came.
    I saw.
    I conquered.

Thanks
    Thanked 11,697 Times in 7,757 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Forward_Lateral View Post
    I should've clarified, I didn't see any issues after the first quarter.

The first quarter was a horribly played quarter, I agree. It looked like a team that hadn't practiced all week.
    Yeah, the offense, and Josh, were pretty crappy for about the first third of of the game.

Then, they weren’t.

Josh was inaccurate and tentative until his sideline pass to Davis for 29 yards in the last drive of the half culminating with the rocket he threw to Diggs for the TD.

During and after that TD drive, he went 14 of 17 for 170 yards for the rest of the game.

Like all great QB’s that run into a rough patch, he worked his way out of it.

Now, he needs to continue to do so next game.

Appropriately, on Thanksgiving Day, when all Bills fans should be thankful that we have been blessed with Josh Allen.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,574 Times in 6,133 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by notacon View Post
    Yeah, the offense, and Josh, were pretty crappy for about the first third of of the game.

Then, they weren’t.

Josh was inaccurate and tentative until his sideline pass to Davis for 29 yards in the last drive of the half culminating with the rocket he threw to Diggs for the TD.

During and after that TD drive, he went 14 of 17 for 170 yards for the rest of the game.

Like all great QB’s that run into a rough patch, he worked his way out of it.

Now, he needs to continue to do so next game.

Appropriately, on Thanksgiving Day, when all Bills fans should be thankful that we have been blessed with Josh Allen.
    That run game really helped Josh we just gotta stick to it.
    28**60**128**133**144**160**163**200**204**248

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Woodman View Post
    That run game really helped Josh we just gotta stick to it.
    If the Browns weren't the Browns we would have been in trouble. Who knows how we were leading at the half...

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by sahlensguy View Post
    If the Browns weren't the Browns we would have been in trouble. Who knows how we were leading at the half...
    Is it there coaching that keeps them "THE BROWNS"

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Woodman View Post
    Is it there coaching that keeps them "THE BROWNS"
    Considering the irresponsible handling of Watson, I'd look first at ownership.

10. Post thanked by:

Woodman (11-23-2022)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by sahlensguy View Post
    Considering the irresponsible handling of Watson, I'd look first at ownership.
    Good point.

Haha...yeah you think so ? Mace's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,494 Times in 9,189 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by ghz in pittsburgh View Post
    So?

Tyrod Taylor chart & stat is when there is a deep shot available he chooses safer checkdowns.

Josh Allen stats here is when defenses willingly give him the checkdowns by taking away the deep shots.
    So, I remember Tyrod Taylor struggling to have a 200 yard passing game, and amid the glory of Taylor's passing career, I also remember our QB is Josh Allen now. I kind of can't believe you asked me "So ?". We seriously went Tyrod Taylor with Josh Allen ? For whatever reason it's inadequate, they need to own up to the reason.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,407 Times in 1,497 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Take what the defense gives you; good things tend to happen, especially if you are ahead and raking up points. In the 2nd half of the Browns game, there is no need for Josh to force the issue by taking chances. Ever heard of the phrase when in redzone, throw to open guy or check down? Every coach will tell you that.

There are cases you need to take chances, like when you are behind. We knew Josh has the capability to do that. Just no need to do that all the time.

Right now the Bills do have issue in the red zone. I believe the opponents have caught up with Dorsey and the Bills offense there. Time to do counter adjustments, not to take a chances that are not good chances, which is what Josh has been doing. In his Sunday presser, Josh said we are not doing that great but still scored 31 points. That just shows you that we can still win games if we are not doing things hurting ourselves like the kind of turnovers we had been doing prior to the Browns game.

I don't care they are scoring 40 every time, looking great, blowing teams at this point of the season. Winning ugly, winning by a point is enough for me. They do need to work to figure things out, to peak at the right time. Every year the superbowl winning team is coming together at the right time.

14. Post thanked by:

notacon (11-22-2022)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Further to my point.

On average, an NFL team has 12 possessions in a game. If the Bills are able to reduce the 17% turnovers and get some of them into ending in scoring category, let's say just 50% of the drives end up scoring, we have 6 scoring drives. Say we only score TD on 1/3 of the scoring drives, you are talking about 28 points a game on average. I think almost all teams are signing for 28 points a game.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,793 Times in 1,206 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Further to my point.
    [FONT="]

[/FONT]
    On average, an NFL team has 12 possessions in a game. If the Bills are able to reduce the 17% turnovers and get some of them into ending in scoring category, let's say just 50% of the drives end up scoring, we have 6 scoring drives. Say we only score TD on 1/3 of the scoring drives, you are talking about 28 points a game on average. I think almost all teams are signing for 28 points a game.
    How much punting are we doing?

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Typ0 View Post
    How much punting are we doing?
    Exactly 2 punts a game

Thanks
    Thanked 5,943 Times in 3,495 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Exactly 2 punts a game
    we punt so little Martin isn't even on the NFL.com list which tracks guys averaging at least 2.5 punts a game. Matin would fall like 12th in gross average, like 5th in net if he was eligible. Punt God wouldn't have mattered much even if he was as good as advertised.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,793 Times in 1,206 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Exactly 2 punts a game
    Just saying in extending your statistical analysis that number can't change and your analysis is sound ... but if we start punting more often that changes the whole model and you don't even have it factored in.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

looks like josh's arm/elbow is improving...he wasn't even attempting throws over 30 yards the previous two games

i expect josh to absolutely lay waste to the rest of the afc east starting in 10 days

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by gochiefs View Post
    looks like josh's arm/elbow is improving...he wasn't even attempting throws over 30 yards the previous two games

i expect josh to absolutely lay waste to the rest of the afc east starting in 10 days

7 days but who's counting.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Cody View Post
    we punt so little Martin isn't even on the NFL.com list which tracks guys averaging at least 2.5 punts a game. Matin would fall like 12th in gross average, like 5th in net if he was eligible. Punt God wouldn't have mattered much even if he was as good as advertised.
    Martin has done a great job of punting for us .... much better than Haack IMO.

Thanks
    Thanked 11,697 Times in 7,757 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Unfortunately this thread is eerily prescient.

The penchant for Josh’s stupid, head-up-your ass, sloppy, loss causing turnovers and bad, BAD mental errors was supposed to be addressed and improved. A fresh start to the new season. Josh was supposed to learn from his mistakes.

He obviously has NOT!!!

Let’s face it. The observations that started this thread are still THE same issue that is holding this team back from its full potential....

Quote Originally Posted by notacon View Post
    Josh Allen is THE reason the Bills are considered a legitimate Super Bowl contender, and Josh Allen will be THE reason they don’t even get there, much less win it.

Yes, we all love Josh. He is an unicorn of QB’s and has all the traits we Bills fans have been begging for for decades.

Yes, his amazing performances have titillated the whole football ball world (even in defeat) and has won so many games by his awesomeness.

But, he is THE cause for the Bills three loses this year. You can try and blame other players….the coaches….the play calling….even the massive amount of injuries.

But none of those come close to the damage Josh Allen has done, almost single handedly to prevent what should be a 9-0 record.

Miami game, he inexplicably threw a one hop pass on 4th down and goal at the Fins’ 2 yard line. A sure go ahead TD.

Against Green Bay, he tried his best to hand the game to the Packers with two boneheaded INT’s. The second one was inexcusable, 3rd and goal at GB 3 yard line that would have given the Bills a 34-10 lead. Instead, it breathed some life into the dormant Packers. Thankfully, the inept Packers just were too stinky to take advantage of Josh massive mistakes.

The Jets game, he correctly said that he “..played like ****”.

First INT in the red zone, and prevented the Bills from jumping to an early lead. The next drive, instead of being up 7-0 could have been 14-0.

His second INT handed the ball to the Jets at the Bills 19 yard line that even one of the worst QB’s in the league, Zach Wilson, took advantage of to take the lead for good.

The Minny game, the loss was almost ALL on Josh. THREE ****ING TURNOVERS in the second half.

TWO TERRIBLE INT’s, not only in the Red zone, but IN the Vikings END ZONE. Both of them inexcusable for a QB who is supposed to be one of the best in the NFL.

Earlier this year, a thread was started….

Mahomes has the easiest job in NFL history, and Allen’s still better……which was filled of hubris and nonsense (unfortunately all the posts were lost) with the thread starter flatly stating that (paraphrasing)….

‘Josh Allen is better than Mahomes and it’s not even close’

After too many idiots saying that Mahomes would regress after losing Tyreek Hill, what has REALLY happened is that Mahomes has shown WHY he is considered the best QB in the NFL, and with Allen’s recent regression to his rookie year mistakes, the reverse is true.

Mahomes is the best QB in the league over Allen, and it’s not even close.

Yes, the amazing GOOD of Allen and his playing style inevitably produces some of the worst boneheaded dumb plays.

Can he overcome his penchant for INT’s at the WORST possible time??? Can he come back from the QB with the MOST INTS’s in the NFL….and worse yet, the MOST Red Zone INTS’s???

No one has any idea. I certainly hope so.

This Bills team is one of the best in the NFL. The defense, despite the massive amount of injuries STILL is #2 in points allowed, only two tenths of a point behind the leader….16.8 PTS/G vs 16.6.

That is a championship level defense, and when Josh is not making HUGE mistakes, a championship offence.

Right now, the biggest obstacle to the Bills being the outright best team in the NFL in both performance and record, is JOSH ALLEN.

I have always been an extreme optimist for the Bills….and I still am when I predict they will go on a six-game winning streak and go into Cincy in week #17 with a 12-3 record. (update note: the Bills did EXACTLY that)

But, so sad to say, the reality is that THE reason that may not happen is Josh Allen and that needs to be said.

Last night, despite the three awful, terrible, rookie-like INT’s, the Bills STILL had the WIN within their grasp. Four minutes in the game....score tied (because of Josh's THIRD stupid INT).....just hold the ball, dink and dunk down the field, the best outcome would be a TD to crush the Jets hope. Almost as good is to eat up clock and score a winning FG with hardly any time on the clock.

The absolute, worst outcome anyone could ever imagine is what Josh did. Fumble a good snap....pick the ball up and then fumble it AWAY again....handing the ball to the Jets on the 25 yard line.

Live by Josh, die by Josh.

No, I’m not throwing in the towel like too many sour puss, loser talk “fans”. The three best teams in the AFC ALL lost in week one. Joe Burrow, if possible, looked much worse than Josh. Mahomes does not seem to have a good pass catcher outside Kelce. LA Chargers screwed the pooch once again, their defense looks much worse than it should.

Week #1 in the NFL is more like the fourth preseason game and almost always provides little basis for overreactions (for both a win or loss...good or bad)....but Josh’s brain farts cannot be ignored.

Yep...Live by Josh, die by Josh.