• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Woodman
    Legendary Zoner
    • Apr 2014

NFL considers playing games in Spain, France

Via Ken Maguire of the Associated Press, Spain and France sit atop the list of the league’s next potential destination, now that the NFL has extended its European footprint from London to Germany.

Brett Gosper, who leads the NFL’s efforts in the UK and Europe, confirmed the interest in two new countries in an interview with Maguire.

“We need to do our homework to make sure that there is the possibility of a place to land any games in those markets, gauge interest of the host stadia, gauge interest of the host city, even the government, as to their enthusiasm to help us bring a game,” Gosper said.
    Spain has an edge, given that the Bears and Dolphins have “home marketing” rights in that country. No team has been assigned France.

“It breaks your heart when someone leaves and you don’t know why.”

"It may be raining but there's a rainbow above you"

Former President Donald Trump early Thursday touted the results of a new NPR/PBSNewsHour/Marist poll showing him ahead of President Joe Biden by 8 percentage points among independents.
  • sahlensguy
    • Mar 2015

Re: NFL considers playing games in Spain, France

Teams have home marketing rights in foreign countries?

We get Canada?

Comment

• OpIv37
      Acid Douching Asswipe
      • Sep 2002

Originally posted by sahlensguy View Post

We get Canada?
      Detroit and Seattle might take issue with that but it doesn’t matter. Canadians already like American football as long as we keep it on our side of the border.

The NFL just doesn’t seem to realize that the rest of the world doesn’t care about our football.
      MiKiDo Facebook
      MiKiDo Website

Comment

• DraftBoy
        Administrator
        • Jul 2002

Originally posted by OpIv37 View Post
        Detroit and Seattle might take issue with that but it doesn’t matter. Canadians already like American football as long as we keep it on our side of the border.

The NFL just doesn’t seem to realize that the rest of the world doesn’t care about our football.
        Last I saw figures, and it’s been a few years, the NFL was making money and having now issue selling tickets on its European scheduled games.

Could be a novelty thing, but I’m not sure how accurate it is to say they don’t care either.
        COMING SOON...
        Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
        We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• YardRat
          Well, lookie here...
          • Dec 2004

Originally posted by sahlensguy View Post

We get Canada?
          Canada is a de facto territory of the US, so the 'foreign country' language doesn't technically apply there.
          YardRat Wall of Fame
          #56 DARRYL TALLEY
          #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• OpIv37
            Acid Douching Asswipe
            • Sep 2002

Originally posted by DraftBoy View Post
            Last I saw figures, and it’s been a few years, the NFL was making money and having now issue selling tickets on its European scheduled games.

Could be a novelty thing, but I’m not sure how accurate it is to say they don’t care either.
            This is anecdotal, but when I've watched the Europe games, it was mostly people wearing NFL jerseys of teams that weren't even playing in the game. The crowds seem to be mostly American military and ex-pats, combined with locals who just want to see it for the novelty factor.

Making money on the game itself is one thing, but the NFL wants more than that. They've basically saturated the North American market. Everyone here who could potentially be a fan already is. They are looking for new fan bases, but I just don't see it happening. First, most Europeans don't even understand the rules (and I say that as a statement of fact and not a criticism- most Americans don't understand sports like rugby or cricket). Second, even if they do find fans, the time zone difference makes it hard for people in Europe to watch regular NFL games live. That's going to be a big deterrent for a lot of people.
            MiKiDo Facebook
            MiKiDo Website

Comment

• Mace
              Haha...yeah you think so ?
              • Mar 2013

I'm not at all in favor of this, though I recognize the NFL's perspective. It increases risk to extremely valuable assets who happen to be people too, for the craven purpose of money, when that supply is already ample.

While the travel is much safer than it was, increasing it exponentially affects the game, and one tragic occurrence can wipe out a franchise.

Try to breed a league again there if they care. But don't risk ours. Holy freaking crap, can you imagine if they lost an NFL team to an accident ? Can you imagine if it was ours that we sent over to play a game in Spain ?

I worry enough about them getting to Detroit.

Comment

• sukie
                Seriously?
                • Sep 2012

This is anecdotal, but when I've watched the Europe games, it was mostly people wearing NFL jerseys of teams that weren't even playing in the game. The crowds seem to be mostly American military and ex-pats, combined with locals who just want to see it for the novelty factor.

Making money on the game itself is one thing, but the NFL wants more than that. They've basically saturated the North American market. Everyone here who could potentially be a fan already is. They are looking for new fan bases, but I just don't see it happening. First, most Europeans don't even understand the rules (and I say that as a statement of fact and not a criticism- most Americans don't understand sports like rugby or cricket). Second, even if they do find fans, the time zone difference makes it hard for people in Europe to watch regular NFL games live. That's going to be a big deterrent for a lot of people.
                NFL Europe had the same rules. Fans of that league aren’t all dead yet.

Comment

• OpIv37
                  Acid Douching Asswipe
                  • Sep 2002

Originally posted by sukie View Post
                  NFL Europe had the same rules. Fans of that league aren’t all dead yet.
                  NFL Europe also folded cuz they couldn’t get enough fans. The rest of the world sees it as a North American sport and doesn’t care.
                  MiKiDo Facebook
                  MiKiDo Website

Comment

• sukie
                    Seriously?
                    • Sep 2012

NFL Europe also folded cuz they couldn’t get enough fans. The rest of the world sees it as a North American sport and doesn’t care.
                    Exactly… no interest but same rules that they understand…

Start a new league and institute some sort of corner kick… boom

Comment

Working...
                    X