Thread: No Big Run From The Pats Last Night

Thanks
    Thanked 2,377 Times in 1,479 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

No Big Run From The Pats Last Night

That's big in my book. A few Stevenson 10 yard runs (while a couple of Bills on his back), but none of the free breaking runs into the secondary like we always see the last few years. Mac Jones game is based on play-action. He got a few passes on 1st down for good gains, but nothing more than that.

This is what I would say a big difference between this years D vs prior years. Daquan Jones and Settle really made a difference. People will point to Von Miller's addition. But that's for play against Mahomes. In fact I'll say Von's absence yesterday forced the Bills to play Rousseau and Lawson at ends and it helped clamping down the Pats running game more than Von would. I'll say this, started from the 2nd half of the Packers game, teams started to run at Von's spot. It carried over to the Jets where the last Jets offense series was all about running at Bills.

Even without Von Miller (and Hyde), I think this Bills D should be better than last year's with how stout they can be against the run, and now they are able to address the inexperience at the secondary by getting back White and sorting out the other corner with a more steady Rhodes. Dane Jackson is still a capable backup. And more options at Frazier disposal with Elam for man coverage.

Buckle me in on the highway of sin mightysimi's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,015 Times in 1,379 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: No Big Run From The Pats Last Night

That TD was essentially a run with a terrible angle taken by Hamlin. Still good overall results even with the poor tacking.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,521 Times in 6,083 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by mightysimi View Post
    That TD was essentially a run with a terrible angle taken by Hamlin. Still good overall results even with the poor tacking.
    Still love Hamlin !!!!!

That kid (Jones) can fly Poyer had the angle and he ran right past him.

It was a good play by the Patriots.

28 **60 **128 **133 **144 **160
    163 **189 **200 **204 **248

Thanks
    Thanked 2,377 Times in 1,479 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

The Marcus Jones TD play is a good design by the Pats. Watch around the 0.03 mark in the video below. Everyone is sucked into the top of the screen where the run fake is at, including Taron Johnson who is coming after Jones. Even then, Hamlin stayed disciplined and didn't flow into the fake. It is just that he was too aggressive and flied down right into the blocks of Jakobi Meyers while Rhodes did not diagnose the play as well as Hamlin and stayed too far behind. If Hamlin recognized 1 against 2 and just tried to contain until re-enforcement came around, or Rhodes could recognize the play sooner and not into backpedals while the ball was thrown ...

Buckle me in on the highway of sin mightysimi's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,015 Times in 1,379 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Do you think it is poor game planning then? Not realizing the guy on the field for his first snap of the season, is likely to get the ball? It was a good play call for our d run but I feel Hamlin takes a bit better angle and it's a 5 yard play at best.