Thread: Gabe Davis

Thanks
    Thanked 2,407 Times in 1,497 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Gabe Davis

With all the OBJ talk, I think it's probably aimed at the (lack of ) production of Davis.

The one ugly stats is his catching percentage: 2020 - 62 targets, 35 catches, 7TD; 2021 - 63 targets, 35 catches, 6 TD; 2022 so far - 59 targets, 33 catches, 5 TD. It is safe to say he's an around mid-50% catching percentage guy. In comparison, Stefon Diggs is a ~ 70% catching percentage guy.

The last game, Davis is like 7 targets, 2 catches.

As a number 2 guy, I think, overall, he's OK, except you want to see the catching percetage to go higher. Diggs has twice as many targets as a number 1 guy. I think when you play consistently as the #2 guy, defenses study you more. His routing tree and lack of separation is explored. Still his size, versatility, especially support in the running game is not easily replaced. OBJ will be more of Diggs mode, if he's healthy enough to do what Diggs doing.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,569 Times in 6,128 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: Gabe Davis

He really excels against a particular team.

He's better than he's been playing.
    28**60**128**133**144**160**163**200**204**248

Thanks
    Thanked 1,888 Times in 1,171 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I don’t know if it’s aimed at anyone, Von has been hyping OBJ to the Bills almost from the beginning of the season. If a team isn’t looking to improve themselves, they’re going the wrong direction. He was enroute to winning the SB MVP.
    If you watch the pre game show, they said that all 3 teams are looking to him contributing in the playoffs, not the rest of the season. Like I said before, if the Bills don’t think he can do that they won’t sign him.
    Retired Air Traffic Controller
    USAF VETERAN
    DAV

4. Post thanked by:

Woodman (12-04-2022)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by kgun12 View Post
    I don’t know if it’s aimed at anyone, Von has been hyping OBJ to the Bills almost from the beginning of the season. If a team isn’t looking to improve themselves, they’re going the wrong direction. He was enroute to winning the SB MVP.
    If you watch the pre game show, they said that all 3 teams are looking to him contributing in the playoffs, not the rest of the season. Like I said before, if the Bills don’t think he can do that they won’t sign him.
    Agreed 100% if we go for him they are thinking playoffs.

If he's not gonna be 100% we'll stay away.

Thanks
    Thanked 30,553 Times in 17,439 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I'm kind of surprised how consistent his catch percentage is, it seems like he's dropping more balls this season, by a lot.
    YardRat Wall of Fame
    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

7. Post thanked by:

kgun12 (12-04-2022),Mace (12-04-2022)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by YardRat View Post
    I'm kind of surprised how consistent his catch percentage is, it seems like he's dropping more balls this season, by a lot.
    download-1.jpg
    Jugs gun now!!!!

Democrats are people too imbondz's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,005 Times in 2,185 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Disappointed in Davis and Knox this season. Knox I can understand. Davis seemed like he was going to be a superstar but he seems to be dropping too many and not involved as much. Last year felt like we had so many solid weapons on offense this season seems way different.
    My faith doesn’t make me perfect, it makes me forgiven.

10. Post thanked by:

Mace (12-04-2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,888 Times in 1,171 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by imbondz View Post
    Disappointed in Davis and Knox this season. Knox I can understand. Davis seemed like he was going to be a superstar but he seems to be dropping too many and not involved as much. Last year felt like we had so many solid weapons on offense this season seems way different.
    I agree, he just seems unmotivated and has an oh well, I dropped it kinda attitude. I’m not sure if that’s reality but that’s what his body language is saying.

12. Post thanked by:

imbondz (12-04-2022),Mace (12-04-2022)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Contested catches are a big issue for him. If a defender has anything on him, usually he does not make it. Diggs, for example, is one of those elite that as long as he gets a hand on the ball, he reels the ball in. Even Knox is better at contested catching than Davis. Knox of course has been doing a lot of blocking this year. I feel like if the Bills are play teams not great at D line, he may have a bigger role in terms of catching passes.

Unreachable Douche
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,899 Times in 4,357 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by imbondz View Post

Superstars catch this.

57574D3B-E7D3-40B4-8445-AD9A755011C2.jpeg

Thanks
    Thanked 1,948 Times in 1,276 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

This is one thing that was apparent in college. For his size, hes an amazing deep ball threat, but he never ran a lot of routes and didnt even have to run routes on like 25% of their passes because SFU runs a weird, half field offense.

Theyre 2 routes he runs well. Streaks, and deep posts. Inside the 10-15, hes useless

This is where i think Brown and ObJ can help us. Diggs-Brown-OBJ-Davis-Mckenzie or have Brown at 4, but Davis isnt cutting it as the number 2 right now and Brown fit this offense nicely and i cant see him falling off a cliff completely

The versatility of using Brown-Davis outside and Diggs-OBj inside or Diggs-Brown outside with Davis-OBJ inside would be huge. Even if Brown isnt in the equation, having OBJ on the field would limit davis targets and allow him to be a deep threat and jump ball receiver
    Not here to be right, just here to have interesting discussions about my impulsive opinions

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

But he's now 3rd year in NFL. You'd think Davis has learned all the route tree by now right?

Deep posts streak usually means he's one-on-one with someone. QB can throw the ball to the right shoulder so less chance of DB interefering him catching the ball. In the middle, the kind of catch Sanders used to run last year? Josh has to put in perfect spot for him.

Having said that, I do think he is better against zone and has an extension of that: uncanny knack of finding soft spot in the scrambling drill.

Haha...yeah you think so ? Mace's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,494 Times in 9,189 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by YardRat View Post
    I think all the offensive issues have been amplified because Allen went through a spell. You get to a point where everything stands out because nothing seems to be working all that hot.

18. Post thanked by:

ParanoidAndroid (12-04-2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,948 Times in 1,276 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Mace View Post
    I think all the offensive issues have been amplified because Allen went through a spell. You get to a point where everything stands out because nothing seems to be working all that hot.

I dont think people are really talking about that. I think its more of the fact that he has dropped a lot of passes recently, only seems to be able to run deep, and seems to only get catches when in a scramble drill

Its been an ongoing issue where he doesnt seem to be a legit threat unless its one of those 2

I have the same issue with mckenzie, they dont seem to get immediate separation like Brown/Beasely did

My battery is low and it's getting dark. ParanoidAndroid's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,702 Times in 3,423 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Davis doesn't use his size well enough. He should be man handling DBs but he just doesn't.