Thread: What are your hopeful, yet achievable changes to the OL?

Do you read what you write? Oaf's Avatar
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

What are your hopeful, yet achievable changes to the OL?

Mine are:

1. Significant investment at G, likely flip Bates back to LG ($8-$10M FA, or 1st-2nd rd pick)
    2. Moderate investment at RT, "two dogs, one bone" competition with S. Brown ($4-$6M FA, or 3rd rd pick)
    3. Modest investment at C, future starter prospect for Morse ($3M-$5M young FA, or 4th-5th rd pick)

It'd take 3 of 6 draft picks, $17-$18M, or a mix thereof. I'd easily let Edmunds walk in exchange for this plan.

2. Post thanked by:

Mace (03-02-2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,948 Times in 1,276 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: What are your hopeful, yet achievable changes to the OL?

Quote Originally Posted by Oaf View Post
    Mine are:

1. Significant investment at G, likely flip Bates back to LG ($8-$10M FA, or 1st-2nd rd pick)
    2. Moderate investment at RT, "two dogs, one bone" competition with S. Brown ($4-$6M FA, or 3rd rd pick)
    3. Modest investment at C, future starter prospect for Morse ($3M-$5M young FA, or 4th-5th rd pick)

It'd take 3 of 6 draft picks, $17-$18M, or a mix thereof. I'd easily let Edmunds walk in exchange for this plan.

Sign a MLB in the offseason, poyer edmunds walk. Find a spot starter untill hamlin comes back (i know hamlins a FS but imo, his skillset fits SS)

Draft OL in first 2 rounds. Tackle then G/C. Role with Dawkins/Bates/Morse/Rookie/Brown-Rookie

If we cant find a MLB in free agency, draft MLB in first 2 rounds, sign a guard

Saffold gone no matter what

1. Guard/center
    2. OT
    3. MLB
    4. DE
    5. WR

Top money and picks go to the top 3 regardless of what order, fill the others with one year deals for another DE or WR

We couldve saved a lot of trouble by not wasting the Basham and Bernard picks. We could right now have our OL of the future
    Not here to be right, just here to have interesting discussions about my impulsive opinions

4. Post thanked by:

Oaf (03-02-2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,948 Times in 1,276 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Last 2 years

Took basham over creed humphrey and josh meyers. Would've solidified our OL

Considering the fact that we apparently didnt value our 3rd round pick last year since we drafted an undersized OLB who can only play special teams, we couldve done one of 2 things at least last year to put us in a much better spot

1. Drafted Elam, used our 3 last and this year with our second to move up and get Jurgens, Phillys center
    2. Drafted Lloyd, drafted a CB in round 2, and used our 3rd on another lineman

If we did these 2 things we would be in a spot where our first round pick would be obviously one of the two. MLB or OG (depending on lloyd or jurgens)

Now we can possibly be in a situation where we need to cram a G/C/T/MLB in the first 3 rounds, then somehow get another DE, possible safety, and maybe another WR

We kind of ****ed ourselfs by getting Basham/Bernard/Cook. I like cook, but with all the future needs we shouldve seen coming, we couldve drafted a RB in later rounds

Haha...yeah you think so ? Mace's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,494 Times in 9,189 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

For the ol...shift bates back to lg...draft torrece r1...go after the best center to groom. No more fa.

7. Post thanked by:

kgun12 (03-02-2023),Oaf (03-02-2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 30,558 Times in 17,442 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Sign Boettger.

Dawkins-Bates-Morse-Boettger-Brown is still probably the starting five, I just don't see any money available for any starting free agent offensive linemen.

I also don't see Beane using a first on the oline, so if we could draft a center and an OT that is capable of playing guard on Day 2 and 3 to develop that will have to do for this season.
    YardRat Wall of Fame
    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Thanks
    Thanked 9,895 Times in 4,018 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

2 of their 1sr 3 picks should be OL, including 2 interior linemen. Preferably with a trade down.

And a RT probably. I liked the Spencer Brown pick, I liked his rookie year. But then the back thing popped up...and they really didn't give much info on the "procedure." But he looked really stiff this year. And I don't have much hope in a back condition improving. Its a decision the trainer and doctor will have to provide full disclosure to make a determination on what to expect from him.

Doyle went down with a knee injury and hasn't played enough to say if he could be considered a replacement at RT. I do like watching the Senior Bowl OL-DL practices and they can be some of the best tests for these guys.

But they can't leave it like last year. If all indications that Brown is healthy and will improve, great. If not, player B.

As to the draft, and assuming they need a RT, there will be some available in the 1st, and some interior linemen in the 2nd and 3rd who can help immediately.

O'Cyrus Torrence is the best interior lineman followed by John Jacob Jingleheimer Schmidt. Both are day 1 starters and will provide immediate improvement. People will say Torrence doesn't fit the blocking scheme...but F' em. Priority 1 of the blocking scheme is protecting the QB. As a run blocker, he can overpower people and has decent short area movement (he couldn't pass block so well if he didnt). Design some plays to take advantage of his run blocking abilities.

If not either of those two, I'd consider at RT first, because they go off the board first. In our position, without a trade down, Broderick Jones would be my first choice, but probably wouldn't be there.

At 27, Anton Harrison RT Oklahoma. Good feet, gave up 2 sacks in 2 years and 4 on his career.
    Darnell Wright, T Tenn. Didn't give up a sack this year playing in the SEC. Had a very good Senior Bowl week. Either would be day 1 starters. Neither will be there by round 2 pick 59. Or at least I seriously doubt it.

After those 2, Duncan from Maryland and Bergeron from Syracuse both looked pretty decent at the Senior Bowl. There is a decline after them.

*Dewand Jones T Ohio State. To say he's "massive" is an understatement. His wing span goes from sideline to sideline. His feet are good for someone weighing 375 lbs. His blocking at the Senior Bowl was as dominant as you will see. But he only practiced one day. I just get Mike Williams flashbacks.

In interior linemen..as I said, after Torrence and Schmitz, there is still talent, and you should get a day 1 starter in the 2nd, probably even into the 3rd.

Joe Tippmann C from Wisconsin, gave up 1 sack in the past 2 years, and can handle both run and pass blocking well. Very tall for a center at 6'6" though.

Ricky Stromberg, C from Arkansas is strong enough and quick enough, is very, very well coached and did well in the SEC. Had a very good Shrine bowl week.

Cody Mauch battled his way through Senior Bowl practices at each position. He looks like he'll be blown back, but he doesn't. He does a great job of moving his feet to keep balance.

Steve Avila...G from TCU, looked good in the Senior Bowl practices and is a consensus All American at guard. He can play center also. I thought he might blow it at the Senior Bowl, but he didnt. Like Torrence, he's wide in the lower body, has good feet in pass pro.

Vorhees G from USC is highly regarded. Gave up 4 sacks in the past 3 years.

*McClendon Curtis from Tenn-Chat is a sleeper. he did very good at guard in Senior Bowl week.

There is flexibility in the draft, provided you take guys early. None of that "we can get someone later" BS. Get them now.

10. Post thanked by:

Gibby 2.0 (03-02-2023),jamze132 (03-03-2023),kgun12 (03-02-2023),Mace (03-02-2023),Mad Bomber (03-03-2023),Oaf (03-02-2023),POTLAND PSILBYLO (03-02-2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 24,454 Times in 14,166 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

My hopeful changes are that they go shopping at a level above the bargain bin in Free Agency and that we invest at least one Day 2 pick in the OL.

I honestly don’t expect much.
    COMING SOON...
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Lecter
    We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

12. Post thanked by:

Oaf (03-02-2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,191 Times in 625 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Free up ~$10M/year and we get a top of the market starter like Ben Powers or Isaac Seumalo to fix the Roger Saffold problem for 3-4 years. I'm not sure the same can be said for WR, LB or S.
    Wake up, brush your teeth, and get ready for a day of hating the Dolphins. Or the Pats? How to choose?

14. Post thanked by:

kgun12 (03-02-2023),Oaf (03-02-2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,575 Times in 6,134 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Saratoga Slim View Post
    Free up ~$10M/year and we get a top of the market starter like Ben Powers or Isaac Seumalo to fix the Roger Saffold problem for 3-4 years. I'm not sure the same can be said for WR, LB or S.
    If we're gonna make a move in free agency I hope it's in this direction.
    28**60**128**133**144**160**163**200**204**248

16. Post thanked by:

Oaf (03-02-2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,575 Times in 6,134 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by cookie G View Post
    2 of their 1sr 3 picks should be OL, including 2 interior linemen. Preferably with a trade down.

O'Cyrus Torrence is the best interior lineman followed by John Jacob Jingleheimer Schmidt. Both are day 1 starters and will provide immediate improvement. People will say Torrence doesn't fit the blocking scheme...but F' em. Priority 1 of the blocking scheme is protecting the QB. As a run blocker, he can overpower people and has decent short area movement (he couldn't pass block so well if he didn't). Design some plays to take advantage of his run blocking abilities.

If not either of those two, I'd consider at RT first, because they go off the board first. In our position, without a trade down, Broderick Jones would be my first choice, but probably wouldn't be there.

In interior linemen..as I said, after Torrence and Schmitz, there is still talent, and you should get a day 1 starter in the 2nd, probably even into the 3rd.

Joe Tippmann C from Wisconsin, gave up 1 sack in the past 2 years, and can handle both run and pass blocking well. Very tall for a center at 6'6" though.

Ricky Stromberg, C from Arkansas is strong enough and quick enough, is very, very well coached and did well in the SEC. Had a very good Shrine bowl week.

Cody Mauch battled his way through Senior Bowl practices at each position. He looks like he'll be blown back, but he doesn't. He does a great job of moving his feet to keep balance.

Steve Avila...G from TCU, looked good in the Senior Bowl practices and is a consensus All American at guard. He can play center also. I thought he might blow it at the Senior Bowl, but he didnt. Like Torrence, he's wide in the lower body, has good feet in pass pro.

2 of 3 OL agreed using trade down (need a partner) totally agree ...... my other choice 1 of the 3 would be WR possibly LB.

Do you read what you write? Oaf's Avatar
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Sounds like there's some consensus here. Appreciate the thoughts! Let's see it happen, BFO!

The double dip at DE in 2021 was… interesting. Hedge your bets with the odds that 50% of high picks are a failure… and more or less guarantee that either your 1st or 2nd rd pick will underproduce.

The day 2 ST'er pick was… inane. Was painful to hear Kyle Brandt's vigor, all to announce that pick. Hopefully I'm wrong.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,898 Times in 1,179 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by cookie G View Post

And a RT probably. I liked the Spencer Brown pick, I liked his rookie year. But then the back thing popped up...and they really didn't give much info on the "procedure." But he looked really stiff this year. And I don't have much hope in a back condition improving. Its a decision the trainer and doctor will have to provide full disclosure to make a determination on what to expect from him.

Doyle went down with a knee injury and hasn't played enough to say if he could be considered a replacement at RT. I do like watching the Senior Bowl OL-DL practices and they can be some of the best tests for these guys.

But they can't leave it like last year. If all indications that Brown is healthy and will improve, great. If not, player B.

As to the draft, and assuming they need a RT, there will be some available in the 1st, and some interior linemen in the 2nd and 3rd who can help immediately.

O'Cyrus Torrence is the best interior lineman followed by John Jacob Jingleheimer Schmidt. Both are day 1 starters and will provide immediate improvement. People will say Torrence doesn't fit the blocking scheme...but F' em. Priority 1 of the blocking scheme is protecting the QB. As a run blocker, he can overpower people and has decent short area movement (he couldn't pass block so well if he didnt). Design some plays to take advantage of his run blocking abilities.

At 27, Anton Harrison RT Oklahoma. Good feet, gave up 2 sacks in 2 years and 4 on his career.
    Darnell Wright, T Tenn. Didn't give up a sack this year playing in the SEC. Had a very good Senior Bowl week. Either would be day 1 starters. Neither will be there by round 2 pick 59. Or at least I seriously doubt it.

After those 2, Duncan from Maryland and Bergeron from Syracuse both looked pretty decent at the Senior Bowl. There is a decline after them.

*Dewand Jones T Ohio State. To say he's "massive" is an understatement. His wing span goes from sideline to sideline. His feet are good for someone weighing 375 lbs. His blocking at the Senior Bowl was as dominant as you will see. But he only practiced one day. I just get Mike Williams flashbacks.

*McClendon Curtis from Tenn-Chat is a sleeper. he did very good at guard in Senior Bowl week.

There is flexibility in the draft, provided you take guys early. None of that "we can get someone later" BS. Get them now.
    cookie, I would be great to hear a couple of these names during the draft. If a WR falls in our lap in the first two rounds, I think we have a tough decision. Most know I’m high on Cody Mauch, any chance he last to the third round?
    Last edited by kgun12; 03-02-2023 at 09:22 PM.
    Retired Air Traffic Controller
    USAF VETERAN
    DAV

Asst to Dean Vernon Wormer POTLAND PSILBYLO's Avatar
    Portland, Oregon Cocoa Mate: Mandy Pepperidge
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,790 Times in 3,335 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

If he’s available at #27, I say JJJ Schmidt is the pick.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,853 Times in 3,502 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I think we need an overhaul of our scouting department. Way too many misses over the last few years.

22. Post thanked by:

kgun12 (03-03-2023)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Oaf View Post
    Mine are:

1. Bates back to Lg guard.
      FA Center (Draft developmental Center)
      Draft RG Draft RT

Hated by the stupid..
    Loved by their moms.