Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The Bills are not talented. Josh Allen is talented.

2020-2023 AFC East Champions! Historian's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 28,307 Times in 15,454 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: The Bills are not talented. Josh Allen is talented.

Josh IS Superman, but he's only one of 53.

They are asking him to do way too much. When your quarterback is your leading rusher, that's a problem.

This game always has been, and always will be won in the trenches. Besides Dawkins and Morse, who on our O line is even worthy of playing on an NFL team?

Miami exposed our weaknesses. Blitz the crap out of Allen, because the line is not very good.

Add to that some questionable, if not odd play calling, and that's a recipe for disaster.

I'm still trying to figure out how they won 14 games, because they do not play sound fundamental football.

I think this offseason we need to shore up both lines, and find a legitimate #2 receiver, a big dude with strong hands.

Unfortunately this team is leveraged to the hilt to go on a spending spree.

It always amazed me how whenever a guy was up for a big payday in New England, they traded his ass away to some also-ran, and the next guy up would step in and win the Super Bowl at half the price.

It's why they were successful for twenty years and have six Lombardi trophies.

The Bills need to develop that mindset.

2. Post thanked by:

The last buffalo fan (01-23-2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 30,569 Times in 17,451 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Historian View Post

They are asking him to do way too much. When your quarterback is your leading rusher, that's a problem.

This game always has been, and always will be won in the trenches. Besides Dawkins and Morse, who on our O line is even worthy of playing on an NFL team?

Miami exposed our weaknesses. Blitz the crap out of Allen, because the line is not very good.

Add to that some questionable, if not odd play calling, and that's a recipe for disaster.

I'm still trying to figure out how they won 14 games, because they do not play sound fundamental football.

I think this offseason we need to shore up both lines, and find a legitimate #2 receiver, a big dude with strong hands.

Unfortunately this team is leveraged to the hilt to go on a spending spree.

It always amazed me how whenever a guy was up for a big payday in New England, they traded his ass away to some also-ran, and the next guy up would step in and win the Super Bowl at half the price.

It's why they were successful for twenty years and have six Lombardi trophies.

The Bills need to develop that mindset.
    Josh is part of the problem, and they can start that mindset with Tremaine Edmunds. Maybe Oliver, too. Cincinnati literally fielded a second-string offensive line, our defensive line should be embarrassed. Of course, part of that is the difference in the QB's also. Burrow has become a calculating surgeon, Josh won't let go of the swashbuckler when the defense is daring him to. And that's the difference between being a regular season glory boy and a legitimate contender.
    YardRat Wall of Fame
    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Unreachable Douche
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,918 Times in 4,371 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I'm still trying to figure out how they won 14 games, because they do not play sound fundamental football. price.
    You answered your own question. Unfortunately 3 of the regular season losses could be pointed at the same thing. I don't blame Josh for the loss against the Bengals. Sure he could have played better but so could everyone on the o-line and D-line.

The most important part TB12 had a better supporting cast than JA17. When it mattered it always seemed like New England could get after the Quarterback. The Bills were ranked high in pass rush before Miller went down. He went down and their pass rush was one of the worst in the league.
    Last edited by TacklingDummy; 01-23-2023 at 06:19 AM.

5. Post thanked by:

Historian (01-23-2023),The last buffalo fan (01-23-2023)

Registered User Forward_Lateral's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,080 Times in 4,277 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by YardRat View Post
    Josh is part of the problem, and they can start that mindset with Tremaine Edmunds. Maybe Oliver, too. Cincinnati literally fielded a second-string offensive line, our defensive line should be embarrassed. Of course, part of that is the difference in the QB's also. Burrow has become a calculating surgeon, Josh won't let go of the swashbuckler when the defense is daring him to. And that's the difference between being a regular season glory boy and a legitimate contender.
    Josh didn't have time to slice and dice anything. Cincy actually played defense, and got to the QB. Buffalo did neither. It's easy to carve a part a defense that gets zero pressure.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,601 Times in 6,155 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

The ineffective pass rush we produced yesterday made me wonder ..... were we wearing our slippers.

No pressure against 3 backup OL .... was it that Burrow was better prepared and delivered the ball in a more timely manner or were we wearing the wrong footgear.

Josh needs the best QB coach we can get him in addition to the best OL we can get in front of him.

Was holding the ball too long an issue?
    33 - Coleman - WR
    60 - Bishop - Safety
    95 - Carter - DT

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Cali512 View Post
    I dont think this is getting talked about enough but Edmunds and poyer were AWFUL during the playoffs. Edmunds was completely lost, and his communication with poyer was awful. They either both went to the same zone, or neither went to the zone.
    We will definitely need to shake this defense up quite a bit .... players and coaches.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Woodman View Post
    Was holding the ball too long an issue?
    That was the case yesterday, yes.

Most of us have been clamoring for some shorter passes all year, while they continue to throw the bomb, and put themselves in low percentage down and distances.

Burrow beat us the same way Brady beat us for twenty years....short passes that were delivered quickly.

10. Post thanked by:

sukie (01-25-2023),The last buffalo fan (01-23-2023),YardRat (01-25-2023)

Registered User Forward_Lateral's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,080 Times in 4,277 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

When WRs run poor or wrong routes, constantly, the QB is going to lose faith in them, and look somewhere else.

Period.

12. Post thanked by:

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

When incumbent Jonah Williams became the third starting offensive lineman to get ruled out of the lineup last week, the Bengals turned to a mostly disappointing second-year lineman, Jackson Carman, who’d be starting his first career game at left tackle. The old man of the line, center Ted Karras, told me post-game, “I told the guys this week, ‘The pressure’s off, guys. No one thinks we can do it. We have a chance to go be heroes.’ And we did.”

Then Karras thought for a second. “Well, gotta give a shoutout to the defense as well. Come on, holding Josh Allen to 10 points? At home? In the playoffs? In the sleet? With that crowd against us?”

Good points. But the Achilles of the Cincinnati team was supposed to be, left to right, Carman, Cordell Volson, Karras, Max Scharping and Hakeem Adeniji. And so what happened? Burrow tightened up his game, throwing the ball at a breakneck average of 2.50 seconds from the time of snap in 39 pass drops; on one throw (I’ll explain), he hit Ja’Marr Chase in a startling time of 1.10 seconds after taking the snap—the fifth-fastest time for a third-down conversion this season, per Next Gen Stats.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...engals-eagles/

Thanks
    Thanked 11,476 Times in 7,093 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I disagree. This team is talented. We just took a few steps back with a rookie OC.

15. Post thanked by:

notacon (01-23-2023),The last buffalo fan (01-23-2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,702 Times in 7,762 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Jesus. The Bills have one of the most talented rosters in the NFL.

The idea that “the Bills are not talented....” is just dumb and not very realistic.

Thanks
    Thanked 11,476 Times in 7,093 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Agreed. someone needs to keep Joshs emotions in check. Its what keeps him playing heroball and l;ooking for the big play. Needs to play smart to go along with his talent.

18. Post thanked by:

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by justasportsfan View Post
    I disagree. This team is talented. We just took a few steps back with a rookie OC.
    Agree it's on the coaches to game plan.

Defensively if you don't wish to blitz you better play a little more sticky.

The injury report screamed what the approach would be for the Bengals.

Quick release to cover up the weakness of 3 backup OL.

Just a terrible recognition of what had to be done.

20. Post thanked by:

justasportsfan (01-23-2023)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Canadian'eh! View Post
    Time to face the reality.

This team wins game because Josh Allen is a great player.

A good coach will build a SB winner around Josh Allen.
    I sure hope so!!

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Forward_Lateral View Post
    When WRs run poor or wrong routes, constantly, the QB is going to lose faith in them, and look somewhere else.

Period.
    That's how it works.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by justasportsfan View Post
    Spot on !!

Thanks
    Thanked 24,466 Times in 14,176 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Period.
    Gabe Davis is one of the worst route runners on this team and he had issues with drops all year but Josh kept throwing him the ball. Your lack of faith argument doesn’t appear to hold much water.
    COMING SOON...
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Lecter
    We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Thanks
    Thanked 30,569 Times in 17,451 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Josh didn't have time to slice and dice anything. Cincy actually played defense, and got to the QB. Buffalo did neither. It's easy to carve a part a defense that gets zero pressure.
    Josh isn't getting rid of the ball quick enough, he has open receivers on shorter routes.
    When WRs run poor or wrong routes, constantly, the QB is going to lose faith in them, and look somewhere else. Period.
    Yes, because Diggs' hissy-fit was probably "I can't get open to save my life because I'm running poor routes and the OC's play design sucks!!!"

Face reality.

Dan Marino's fatal flaw was when things got tough he pitched the running game and short passes and tried to do everything himself, and that's why he consistently lost in the playoffs (or failed to make it at all) and never made it back to the Super Bowl after his first trip early in his career. Like it or not, that's Josh Allen's 'comp' right now and that's not good.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,185 Times in 5,914 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Josh isn't getting rid of the ball quick enough, he has open receivers on shorter routes.

Yes, because Diggs' hissy-fit was probably "I can't get open to save my life because I'm running poor routes and the OC's play design sucks!!!"

Face reality.

Dan Marino's fatal flaw was when things got tough he pitched the running game and short passes and tried to do everything himself, and that's why he consistently lost in the playoffs (or failed to make it at all) and never made it back to the Super Bowl after his first trip early in his career. Like it or not, that's Josh Allen's 'comp' right now and that's not good.
    Marino didn’t pitch the running game, he never had one ever and that isn’t in him.

OC needed to shorten the game like Cincy did. Quick short routes and runs. Runs set up play action that gave up intermediate routes. 85% of the time ball was out in les than 2 or close to that.

with footing bad, where were all the RB over middle tosses? I read somewhere Hines was in on under 10 plays since joining Bills… WTF?

When weather sucked Thurman caught more balls. Cook and Singletary both can catch better than McKenz

this was lack of game plan by Dorsey. Maybe his picking plays at rando off a laminated sheet works with Josh in ideal conditions but there should be a plan B.

the first 3 and out plays were it. Obviously no plan of attack . It’s like first down run.

second and 8 (close eyes while assistant mixes up the cards) pick one. Incomplete pass outside

3rd 8 (see above)

punt

game over

27. Post thanked by:

Historian (01-25-2023),sahlensguy (01-25-2023)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Right Suk.

And against lesser competition, that can work.

But not in the playoffs, in January, in Buffalo.

What happened to the Bills Sunday reminded me of what happened to Green Bay at home against Tampa a couple years back.

Got out-muscled at home in the elements.