Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: The Fire McDermott Thread

Thanks
    Thanked 24,427 Times in 14,146 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: The Fire McDermott Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Buffalogic View Post
    Meanwhile chad henne goes 98 yards like it's nothing as soon as mahomes exits.
    Cool.
    COMING SOON...
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Lecter
    We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,787 Times in 1,201 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by YardRat View Post
    Look, don't get me wrong, I wouldn't trade Josh Allen for any QB in the league. It sucks to look at KC and Cincinnati and admit we're just not that good. It sucks to look at Mahomes and Burrow and say Josh just isn't that good. But that is the reality we watched on Sunday and live with today.

Josh regressed this season and he failed to take that next step that Mahomes and Burrow already have. He needs to correct that and come back next year and play at the level that puts us and him back into the conversation.

And that's on him. Not coaching. Not the rest of the roster. Him.
    The coaches need to build an environment that fosters this growth...and they don't! So you go ahead and put the whole basket on top of Allen's shoulders--which is exactly the way the coaching staff has it designed--and you will just be signing up for more and more of the same and the continued regression and struggle of Josh Allen.

My point is Josh Allen is a big asset and we need to protect it and maximize it's effectiveness. McDermott does neither of those things. If we want to be successful we need new coaching. Next year we will likely be sailing into the season with McDermott at the helm, Frazier leading the defense and Dorsey leading the offense. Not really up for it. Sorry, this staff is nice but they are never going to have the best team in the league there are too many problems with the way they do things. Players on this team are always going to be coddled and people-pleased and unable to grasp the humility and sacrifice it's going to take to win a championship. The team is going to continue to lack direction pointing to an identity in favor of allowing it to organically emerge.

It is an NFL season there isn't time for infinite timeless bull****. You basically have about half a year to prepare for the playoffs. Boom! It is over. Rinse and repeat.

The learning isn't taking place. The evolution isn't taking place. We knew there were problems inside on the team last season. It's just gotten worse. The team has gotten worse. What this coaching staff has focused on and gotten better at in the McDermott tenure is covering up their dysfunction. They were dysfunctional this last Sunday. They didn't just take a beat down. What we saw was total domination of our offensive and defensive philosophies. That is McDermott and it is going to be a problem that remains until we are willing to do something that gets us over that hump.

Thanks
    Thanked 24,427 Times in 14,146 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Novacane View Post
    And the times the quick throws weren't open he still had all day to find his 2nd or 3rd option. I'm not defending Josh. His bombs away mentality is pissing me off too. Someway somehow that has to change. I just vehemently disagree that putting Burrow on the Bills and changing nothing else would have changed the outcome.
    If we had Burrow then we have a shot to win that game. Burrow is a quick and decisive QB with extreme accuracy. Josh is a big play gun slinger whose going to force the ball and make plays happen that only he can. Against Cincy the shorter and decisive passing game would have gotten us in better positions.

I like Allen more overall, but we’ve seen games where we have to overcome his mentality to win. That’s why so many talk about hero ball in the gameday threads.

4. Post thanked by:

YardRat (01-24-2023)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

And the times the quick throws weren't open he still had all day to find his 2nd or 3rd option. I'm not defending Josh. His bombs away mentality is pissing me off too. Someway somehow that has to change. I just vehemently disagree that putting Burrow on the Bills and changing nothing else would have changed the outcome.
    This is how Allen has been coached. That is the piece that YardRat seems to be overlooking -- like Josh Allen is working in a box and what comes out is all Josh Allen. Not true. We saw a distinct change in Josh Allen during the season with this aggressive throw everything up downfield. That type of change comes when he is coached to change that way.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by DraftBoy View Post
    If we had Burrow then we have a shot to win that game. Burrow is a quick and decisive QB with extreme accuracy. Josh is a big play gun slinger whose going to force the ball and make plays happen that only he can. Against Cincy the shorter and decisive passing game would have gotten us in better positions.

I like Allen more overall, but we’ve seen games where we have to overcome his mentality to win. That’s why so many talk about hero ball in the gameday threads.
    Dude we don't employ a shorter decisive passing game because that is not how the coaches have the system designed. This is what I have been trying to say! The BS we see on the field from the offense is due to choices the coaches are making.

Thanks
    Thanked 12,356 Times in 7,251 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Look, don't get me wrong, I wouldn't trade Josh Allen for any QB in the league. It sucks to look at KC and Cincinnati and admit we're just not that good. It sucks to look at Mahomes and Burrow and say Josh just isn't that good. But that is the reality we watched on Sunday and live with today.

Josh regressed this season and he failed to take that next step that Mahomes and Burrow already have. He needs to correct that and come back next year and play at the level that puts us and him back into the conversation.

And that's on him. Not coaching. Not the rest of the roster. Him.
    Coaching has to play apart of it. Someone has to get it through his head that bombing it on 3rd and 1 is not smart QB. Someone has to get him to understand that the easy throws are just as important as the big plays because there's a lot more of them. Ultimately he has to put into practice what they're telling him but coaching absolutely plays apart.

I think they've been to easy on him. We've heard him joke many times about being told to slide more but that not being his game. He probably thinks the same thing about the long passes. Kinda gives me the feeling he's been told he just wants to do it his way. He's starting to hear criticism now that he's not in Mahomes and Burrows league. That's probably the best thing for him. We know how much that drove him when colleges told him he wasn't good enough.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I just disagree. We were outcoached and dominated in both trenches. I don't see one guy changing a game from total domination to a win.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Typ0 View Post
    This is how Allen has been coached. That is the piece that YardRat seems to be overlooking -- like Josh Allen is working in a box and what comes out is all Josh Allen. Not true. We saw a distinct change in Josh Allen during the season with this aggressive throw everything up downfield. That type of change comes when he is coached to change that way.

I don't agree with that. I think he defaults to that when things aren't going well.

Registered User Forward_Lateral's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,010 Times in 4,236 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

The playcalling didn't help. The game plan stunk. You'd think that after Miami, they'd have a plan for all out blitzes. They didn't. I didn't see one dump off to Singletary until the last 4 minutes when they were down by 17. I didn't see crossing routes. I don't think they ran one slant pattern.

I get what you are saying, and Josh will probably never be a short pass game manager type, but you have to help him out as the OC. You have to design plays to get the ball out of his hands quickly. Daboll was a master at that last year. He knew when Josh needed to be guided, and when to let him go. This year there was nobody to reign Josh in, and that is 100% on coaching.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

For everyone praising Burrow. It's easy to dissect any defense if you have all day. If you want to win in this league, you have to pressure the QB. The Bills are terrible at it, and it showed the last half of the seasonish. They had a few good games where they got to young, terrible QBs, but when they faced offenses that got the ball out quickly, they stunk. Why? Because they A.) can't or refuse to play press coverage, B.) Don't get pressure at all.

Winning is not rocket science. Pressure the QB with your front 4. Cover most of the field, making it HARD for the QB. On offense, you have to have answers for said pressure, and make it easier on your QB. You can't just expect him to escape pressure and make miracle 30 yard throws on the run every time. The Bills did none of the above, and it showed on Sunday.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I don't agree with that. I think he defaults to that when things aren't going well.
    Because he hasn't been coached differently!

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Forward_Lateral View Post
    For everyone praising Burrow. It's easy to dissect any defense if you have all day. If you want to win in this league, you have to pressure the QB. The Bills are terrible at it, and it showed the last half of the seasonish. They had a few good games where they got to young, terrible QBs, but when they faced offenses that got the ball out quickly, they stunk. Why? Because they A.) can't or refuse to play press coverage, B.) Don't get pressure at all.

Winning is not rocket science. Pressure the QB with your front 4. Cover most of the field, making it HARD for the QB. On offense, you have to have answers for said pressure, and make it easier on your QB. You can't just expect him to escape pressure and make miracle 30 yard throws on the run every time. The Bills did none of the above, and it showed on Sunday.
    The Bills are totally one-dimensional. Josh Allen throwing downfield Josh Allen running the ball. All Josh Allen.

We don't challenge other teams this way. We don't threaten the field. WE don't threaten anything -- only Josh Allen has a chance to do that.

We're going to be watching the same thing next season and hear the same "we need to learn from this" doublespeak.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

When Josh Allen is playing well they need to get him out there on the defense too!

Thanks
    Thanked 5,285 Times in 3,777 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Josh would have slayed our D if he traded places with Burrow. All day to throw plus a running game. Some of you guys really hate Josh, sheesh.

16. Post thanked by:

CommissarSpartacus (01-24-2023)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by sahlensguy View Post
    Josh would have slayed our D if he traded places with Burrow. All day to throw plus a running game. Some of you guys really hate Josh, sheesh.
    Don't forget several viable receivers!!!!

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

The Bills are totally one-dimensional. Josh Allen throwing downfield Josh Allen running the ball. All Josh Allen.

We don't challenge other teams this way. We don't threaten the field. WE don't threaten anything -- only Josh Allen has a chance to do that.

We're going to be watching the same thing next season and hear the same "we need to learn from this" doublespeak.
    Agreed 100%

Registered User CommissarSpartacus's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,903 Times in 13,259 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

The problem with this team is THE HEAD COACH.

He's a chicken.

We've had to live with his gutlessness for 5 years.

I don't care that he looks like a marine, he's a ****ing coward and can always be counted on to pussy out when the pressure is on.
    My tebya razdavim

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Josh's foundation was putting in the work to get where he wanted to be. Constantly improving because he was putting in the time and effort. That may not be a foundation that has a pedigree or a coddling coach but it's still the foundation that led to him walking off the field in the KC loss as the best player in the entire league. Instead of building on that, he regressed, and he doesn't need a babysitter to make him aware of that.

5 years of observations of 'we lost' or 'we didn't win like we should have' because of 'Dumb Josh', 'Bad Josh', and 'Hero Ball Josh' showing up and all of sudden it becomes "NOT JOSH'S FAULT, FIRE THE COACHES!!"
    Easy for you to say but I bet if Josh got a new pilot's license and the FAA told him "good job, you don't need us anymore", you wouldn't want to be a passenger on the plane he was flying, too often.

Do you have other examples of players in sports who have had the rise that Josh has had and then still excelled with the lack of coaching/players/scheme?

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by CommissarSpartacus View Post
    The problem with this team is THE HEAD COACH.

He's a chicken.

We've had to live with his gutlessness for 5 years.

I don't care that he looks like a marine, he's a ****ing coward and can always be counted on to pussy out when the pressure is on.
    When he punted that ball from the 40 Sunday I was done. He wouldn't have punted that ball during the regular season. And if they strategy is all Josh Allen then why the hell not be all Josh Allen?

McDermott is weak and a wishy washy people pleaser. There will always be some bully around to punch him in the face and ruin his day.

22. Post thanked by:

CommissarSpartacus (01-24-2023)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

When he punted that ball from the 40 Sunday I was done. He wouldn't have punted that ball during the regular season. And if they strategy is all Josh Allen then why the hell not be all Josh Allen?

McDermott is weak and a wishy washy people pleaser. There will always be some bully around to punch him in the face and ruin his day.
    This.