Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: The Fire McDermott Thread

Thanks
    Thanked 24,441 Times in 14,158 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: The Fire McDermott Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Novacane View Post
    I just disagree. We were outcoached and dominated in both trenches. I don't see one guy changing a game from total domination to a win.
    I don’t disagree that we were dominated in all facets and the trenches. Those factors alone would have made it very difficult for us to win regardless of the QB.
    COMING SOON...
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Lecter
    We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Thanks
    Thanked 24,441 Times in 14,158 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by sahlensguy View Post
    Josh would have slayed our D if he traded places with Burrow. All day to throw plus a running game. Some of you guys really hate Josh, sheesh.
    Yes, he would have. I didn’t say he wouldn’t.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,305 Times in 3,795 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Typ0 View Post
    And if they strategy is all Josh Allen then why the hell not be all Josh Allen?
    It's called hedging your bet. If you go all in on something and you're wrong, you are totally screwed.

And like Shiva says: McD is a chicken ****.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by DraftBoy View Post
    Yes, he would have. I didn’t say he wouldn’t.
    You said Burrow would have given the Bills a shot to win. This implies that Josh would not have slain the Bills D.

Josh would have put the game out of reach if he was on the Bengals. Your hatred for Josh is out of the closet.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,793 Times in 1,206 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

It's called hedging your bet. If you go all in on something and you're wrong, you are totally screwed.

And like Shiva says: McD is a chicken ****.
    Right...then you have wishy washy leadership who says something but is too chicken to do what it takes to back it up.

It's because of McDermott we will always be knocking on the door and never walking through it ... and this regimes outlook is to keep knocking on the door until something different happens. Well, the team isn't properly prepared and nothing different is going to happen.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Typ0 View Post
    Right...then you have wishy washy leadership who says something but is too chicken to do what it takes to back it up.

It's because of McDermott we will always be knocking on the door and never walking through it ... and this regimes outlook is to keep knocking on the door until something different happens. Well, the team isn't properly prepared and nothing different is going to happen.
    I don't disagree with any of that.

McD is a hedge bet, and a hedge bettor.

Thanks
    Thanked 26,289 Times in 13,722 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Without reading through this whole thread:

First, after a 17 year playoff drought, McD got us to the playoffs 5 of 6 years, won the division 3 straight times, and won 4 playoff games. It's hard to justify firing him with that track record.

Second, between Levy and McD, we had 9 head coaches and they all sucked. Well, Phillips was decent but the rest sucked. Bills fans should know as well as anyone that "different" isn't necessarily "better."

That being said, I am starting to have doubts that McD can win it all. He's a bad gameday coach and doesn't seem to have the right relationship with his coordinators. They don't make him better and he doesn't reign them in when they are ****ing up. He definitely needs to fire Frazier and you could make a strong case for firing Dorsey as well.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by OpIv37 View Post

First, after a 17 year playoff drought, McD got us to the playoffs 5 of 6 years, won the division 3 straight times, and won 4 playoff games. It's hard to justify firing him with that track record.

Second, between Levy and McD, we had 9 head coaches and they all sucked. Well, Phillips was decent but the rest sucked. Bills fans should know as well as anyone that "different" isn't necessarily "better."

That being said, I am starting to have doubts that McD can win it all. He's a bad gameday coach and doesn't seem to have the right relationship with his coordinators. They don't make him better and he doesn't reign them in when they are ****ing up. He definitely needs to fire Frazier and you could make a strong case for firing Dorsey as well.
    McDermott is a great leader. He can use those skills in a lot of places to lead teams. It's just that he values some things that take too much time to play out and aren't going to come together for him within and NFL season.

I would love to see McDermott take a step back and realize he's got the wrong coordinator mix to help him get to where he needs to be. I would like to see him step back and make some changes on gameday that help the team perform better. Tell me those things are going to happen? He's had 6 years. I could care less about playing in the playoffs every year that is not the statistic that shows me success. It is nice don't get me wrong the seasons are more fun when we at least look like we have a chance. However, in the end it seems to me the coaching on this team is something we have to strive to overcome not something that is helping us win. That should be the end of McDermott we don't have time for this ****.

2020-2023 AFC East Champions! Historian's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 28,243 Times in 15,407 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by OpIv37 View Post

It's his first gig....he's learning on the job too.

I like all the success....what I hate are the band wagoners it attracts. (That's nobody here, every poster here is a die-hard, as evidenced by the drought)
    As far as I can remember, the only two times that changing HCs on a good team resulted in a Championship, were Gruden replacing Dungy, and Madden replacing Rauch, and the latter took seven years, and four AFCCG losses to achieve.

Just sayin.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

We probably have the greatest Bill ever on this team in Allen, who at one point seemed to be on track as one of the greatest qbs who ever played.

What does McD do? Pairs him with a psycho rookie OC.Yep! I can't believe it either. Way to ruin destiny.

This isn't a Brady/Belichick who's more important to the team debate. It's Allen by a Wyoming mile.

Love ya McD but you're screwing up greatness. Get the appropriate OC and personnel or step aside.

11. Post thanked by:

Typ0 (01-24-2023)

Registered User Forward_Lateral's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,061 Times in 4,265 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Honestly, this offseason will determine McDermott's status as a great leader, IMO. If he does nothing, and just ho hum, we need to improve, and keeps Frasier and Dorsey, then he can go next year after the same results, IMO. I don't even really mind if Dorsey keeps his job, only because it was his first year and there plenty of good moments, but Frazier has to go. His defense has failed this team every single year when it matters. It's never going to change. He's not going to change philosophy overnight. Fire him, even if it brings a ton of outside media heat. Do your job and lead this team. Forget about hurting feelings.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Historian View Post
    It's his first gig....he's learning on the job too.

I like all the success....what I hate are the band wagoners it attracts. (That's nobody here, every poster here is a die-hard, as evidenced by the drought)
    As far as I can remember, the only two times that changing HCs on a good team resulted in a Championship, were Gruden replacing Dungy, and Madden replacing Rauch, and the latter took seven years, and four AFCCG losses to achieve.

Just sayin.
    Is this a good team though? The defense is in rough shape. And we have spent so much draft capital trying to put together a McDermott defense that continues to be mediocre or poor against top opponents?

McDermott is a defensive coach. He's here for that reason. It's not going well. The ownership of the team changed you can't compare it to the drought which was caused by Ralph Wilson's age and risk aversion. Pegula is not holding back he believes the best thing for this franchise and his investment is to put together a championship squad.

It's not working out. We aren't competing for championships with other teams we are competing against ourselves because the coaching is lacking. Just watching our players flail around on gameday gets old. Then you consider the lousy decisions that get made or the poor game management. Ugh. We are going no where on this path.

2020-2023 AFC East Champions! Historian's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 28,243 Times in 15,407 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

One cannot discount the injuroes on that side of the ball.

Poyer was playing on a torn knee.

Losing Hyde was huge.

Losing Miller was an early playoff exit.

Sorry Keith, I think 14-4 is a good team....and I still have nightmares of watching Chan Gailey and Rex Ryan.

15. Post thanked by:

John Doe (01-24-2023),notacon (01-24-2023)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Losing Hyde was huge.

Sorry Keith, I think 14-4 is a good team....and I still have nightmares of watching Chan Gailey and Rex Ryan.
    Not the D is was unhappy about, mostly anyway. The offense was out of sync since the Chiefs game.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Losing Hyde was huge.

14-4 is a good team! As long as 'good' is what you are looking for we are 'good' to go!

Problem is McDermott does not manage coaches or players ego's and they are run-away destructive to our cause. It is his style. Everyone else is in charge. Very noble.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Not the D is was unhappy about, mostly anyway. The offense was out of sync since the Chiefs game.
    It is always the same thing with McDermott. The run defense just plain sucks. The pass defense is good but when the opposing QB gets hot they get torched left and right because the line doesn't make the QB work harder.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I hate it. The whole thing makes me sick. I believe in what McDermott believes in it just isn't going to work in such a highly choreographed large team sport. There are too many pieces to fit together. They need proper vision, guidance and structure. This is where the team has lacked since McDermott got here.

Thanks
    Thanked 11,695 Times in 7,755 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by swiper View Post
    I don't expect he'll get fired, but he should. You're reading comprehension is as poor as your football acumen.
    A distinction without a difference. So, you are saying that when the Bills DO NOT fire McDermott, they have “poor football acumen” and YOU (of all people) have more????

My post that you objected to (violating TOS in doing so) what quite clear. The main thrust of it is simple to understand and takes little reading comprehension to understand.

You mean the “Dumb Fire McDermott Thread”.

No. There is no way the Bills fire McDermott....”

And my bet offer was ALL about THAT prediction.

Do you accept the bet or not???
    Last edited by notacon; 01-24-2023 at 02:00 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 11,695 Times in 7,755 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Losing Hyde was huge.

+1

A Super Bowl season is predicated on a lot of things going one team's way. Yes, the Bills got their asses handed to them by a better team ON THAT DAY!!!

The ball has been bouncing Cincy's way for weeks (actually, it goes back to last years AFCC game when Mahomes played, literally the worst half of football in his whole career.....his 2nd half passer rating in that game was a dismally bad 12.3).

In particular, this season, both the NE game (that they deserved to lose) and especially the Baltimore playoff game (where they ABSOLUTELY deserved to lose). They also lucked out with the Chase injury.....that IF was season ending (and it could easily have been so), Cincy is in a heap of trouble.

The Bills had the opposite and very bad luck with injuries all season long and (as you point out) Hyde and Miller’s injuries, and Poyer’s playing with nagging injuries most of the season were huge.. Same with Josh’s injured elbow that DID have negative effect on his play.

To discount all the things that did NOT go the Bills way in 2022 is silly. To call for the HC's head is counterproductive and just plain dumb. Pegula is NOT that dumb. If the Bills got regularly blown out his season, there might be an argument.

They did NOT. THIS was the first time this season. The only other losses were by 2, 3 & 3 points. Cincy got their asses handed to them in week 8, losing to the woeful Browns 32-13. A NINETEEN point loss.

They rallied and proceeded to go on a winning streak, one win more than the Bills going into this game.

The events of Jan 2, and the aftermath, were a huge motivating factor for the Bengals. They came into this game ROYALLY PISSED OFF and disrespected. The Bills were reeling with the aftermath of months of emotional and community hits and bad events.

The weather favored Cincy. It helped the injury wrecked O-line, and the backups being depended on just added to the “underdog” motivation. So did the 5 point underdog spread....so did selling tickets to a possible KC/Bills AFCC game in Atlanta....so did the game even being played in Buffalo.

It was perfect storm of massive motivation for Cincy, and an emotional meltdown for the beleaguered Bills.

Besides the fact that the Bengals played their BEST game of the season BY FAR. It was almost a perfect game for them. Only TWO penalties. The Bills played their worst game of the year.

The future of this team is the brightest it has been in its history. The Bills organization is solidly professional (unlike almost all of the Wilson years). We have a solid core of players. A young elite QB, that has not reached his ceiling yet and WILL improve.

Unfortunately, some “fans” want to blow it all up because their feeling are hurt.

Thanks
    Thanked 26,289 Times in 13,722 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Losing Hyde was huge.

In fairness, they did have 3 starters out on the OL. One would think that would at least partially negate our defensive injuries but it really didn't.

And FWIW, I think McDermott has two options: either fire Frazier now, or prove us wrong and win at least the AFC- if not the whole thing- next year with Frazier. If he keeps Frazier and we have another defensive collapse in the playoffs, I'm going to be in favor of firing both of them.

23. Post thanked by:

Novacane (01-24-2023)