Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast

Thread: The Fire McDermott Thread

Thanks
    Thanked 12,433 Times in 7,296 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: The Fire McDermott Thread

Quote Originally Posted by OpIv37 View Post
    In fairness, they did have 3 starters out on the OL. One would think that would at least partially negate our defensive injuries but it really didn't.

And FWIW, I think McDermott has two options: either fire Frazier now, or prove us wrong and win at least the AFC- if not the whole thing- next year with Frazier. If he keeps Frazier and we have another defensive collapse in the playoffs, I'm going to be in favor of firing both of them.
    If he keeps Frazier the result will be the same. A new DC would prove McD has figured out the scheme he and Leslie love isn't working. Keeping Frazier proves he's learned nothing.

2. Post thanked by:

Mace (01-24-2023),OpIv37 (01-24-2023)

Registered User Forward_Lateral's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,086 Times in 4,282 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

In fairness, they did have 3 starters out on the OL. One would think that would at least partially negate our defensive injuries but it really didn't.

And FWIW, I think McDermott has two options: either fire Frazier now, or prove us wrong and win at least the AFC- if not the whole thing- next year with Frazier. If he keeps Frazier and we have another defensive collapse in the playoffs, I'm going to be in favor of firing both of them.
    We agree on something. If he decides Frazier is his DC next year, then he should be held fully accountable if the results are the same (barring injuries, etc of course). Frazier's scheme is good for regular season wins. When the playoffs come, and they have to play a top tier QB, it's horrible. Look at the past losses. KC shredded them in the AFC title game, then the D choked away a win last year, and this year it got absolutely destroyed by Burrow.

4. Post thanked by:

OpIv37 (01-24-2023)

Registered User CommissarSpartacus's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,943 Times in 13,294 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Forward_Lateral View Post
    We agree on something. If he decides Frazier is his DC next year, then he should be held fully accountable if the results are the same (barring injuries, etc of course). Frazier's scheme is good for regular season wins. When the playoffs come, and they have to play a top tier QB, it's horrible. Look at the past losses. KC shredded them in the AFC title game, then the D choked away a win last year, and this year it got absolutely destroyed by Burrow.
    You guys DO get that the HC has the final word on ALL GAME PLANS?

Some seem to think the HC sits back and let's the coordinators decide the week's strategy.
    My tebya razdavim

6. Post thanked by:

kscdogbillsfan1221 (01-24-2023),Mace (01-24-2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 26,316 Times in 13,737 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by CommissarSpartacus View Post

Some seem to think the HC sits back and let's the coordinators decide the week's strategy.
    Like I said before, I'm starting to have my doubts that McD is capable of winning a SB, but before him, we had 9 head coaches in 20 years, and Wade Phillips was the only one who wasn't a complete disaster. Different doesn't necessarily mean better.

Registered User Forward_Lateral's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,086 Times in 4,282 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Sure, but McDermott doesn't call the plays. A game plan is one thing, but if it's not working, then you need to adjust. Frazier refused to do that Sunday. They couldn't stop anything. The Bengals could've run for 400 yards if they wanted to.

9. Post thanked by:

OpIv37 (01-24-2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 12,433 Times in 7,296 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Yes. That's why we're saying if McD doesn't make a change he's learned nothing. He could keep Frazier and tell him to change the defense but soft drop 7 rush 4 is what Frazier knows. If he keeps Frazier I'm onboard with getting rid of him to if/when they get knocked out early again.

Haha...yeah you think so ? Mace's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,495 Times in 9,190 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Forward_Lateral View Post
    Sure, but McDermott doesn't call the plays. A game plan is one thing, but if it's not working, then you need to adjust. Frazier refused to do that Sunday. They couldn't stop anything. The Bengals could've run for 400 yards if they wanted to.
    McDermott has inserted himself into it before, ala 13 seconds, and said so. For that matter, he can tell Frazier to adjust during the game at any point. McDermott is as timid as Frazier is.

12. Post thanked by:

Novacane (01-24-2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,793 Times in 1,206 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

There was a point this season I was so excited to see some evidence McDermott has learned something....but it turned out Allen made the coaching call that won us the game.

Thanks
    Thanked 24,470 Times in 14,178 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by sahlensguy View Post
    You said Burrow would have given the Bills a shot to win. This implies that Josh would not have slain the Bills D.

Josh would have put the game out of reach if he was on the Bengals. Your hatred for Josh is out of the closet.

No, it means that Burrow would have given us a shot to win. The question wasn’t if you flip flop the two QB’s can the Bills win. The question was about Burrow’s skillset v Allen given the defensive scheme we were facing.
    COMING SOON...
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Lecter
    We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Historian View Post
    It's his first gig....he's learning on the job too.

I like all the success....what I hate are the band wagoners it attracts. (That's nobody here, every poster here is a die-hard, as evidenced by the drought)
    As far as I can remember, the only two times that changing HCs on a good team resulted in a Championship, were Gruden replacing Dungy, and Madden replacing Rauch, and the latter took seven years, and four AFCCG losses to achieve.

Just sayin.
    I don't agree with learning on the job being an excuse any more. He's been an HC for 6 years, been to the playoffs 5 times. He's not growing or evolving, clenches up, gets timid.

Zac Taylor has way less experience, and is a first time HC as well, and brought his team in here ready to play football on the road in the playoffs.

16. Post thanked by:

CommissarSpartacus (01-24-2023)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Mace View Post
    McDermott has inserted himself into it before, ala 13 seconds, and said so. For that matter, he can tell Frazier to adjust during the game at any point. McDermott is as timid as Frazier is.
    yeah he hired a clone and a hothead because Allen wanted him. He's making the wrong hires and missing the personalities of all these people and the way they mix with him are mission critical to what they are trying to achieve.

- - - Updated - - -

I don't agree with learning on the job being an excuse any more. He's been an HC for 6 years, been to the playoffs 5 times. He's not growing or evolving, clenches up, gets timid.

Zac Taylor has way less experience, and is a first time HC as well, and brought his team in here ready to play football on the road in the playoffs.
    That's what it is. The problem is he's not learning on the job then spouts off about learning from this and goes on to make the same mistakes.

18. Post thanked by:

Mace (01-24-2023)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

What is all this switch Allen for Burrow sub thread theme here? That is a totally pointless thing to argue about it is going no where.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,381 Times in 3,855 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Like I said before, I'm starting to have my doubts that McD is capable of winning a SB, but before him, we had 9 head coaches in 20 years, and Wade Phillips was the only one who wasn't a complete disaster. Different doesn't necessarily mean better.
    It's not often that a Josh Allen is on your team, if ever again. Sticking with McD, spending on defense and especially an unproven OC is dumb.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I'm not saying McD is a bad dude, he just makes bad decisions when the pressure is on, so he goes with conventional wisdom.

Like winning the coin toss and deferring to the second half kickoff.

That says you're worried about being behind after the first half.

So, how did that work out?

It was 14 - 0 before the Bills ran their fifth play.

"But, but conventional wisdom says you always defer when you win the coin toss! How can you criticize me for that!" - McD

Chicken.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I'm not saying McD is a bad dude, he just makes bad decisions when the pressure is on, so he goes with conventional wisdom.

"But, but conventional wisdom says you always defer when you win the coin toss! How can you criticize me for that!" - McD

Chicken.
    Not sure about that. Deferring allows you to get further into the game before you have that possession. It gives you more knowledge about the game you are in when you have that possession. The first half is just a warm-up for the one that counts!

Thanks
    Thanked 5,381 Times in 3,855 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Chicken.
    Not terrible to defer until you immediately remembered that Zac Taylor took the ball to start the Hamlin game and shoved it down our throats.

Second year in a row that you almost knew the AFC division playoff game was over at a coin flip.

24. Post thanked by:

CommissarSpartacus (01-25-2023),Mace (01-24-2023)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Typ0 View Post
    Not sure about that. Deferring allows you to get further into the game before you have that possession. It gives you more knowledge about the game you are in when you have that possession. The first half is just a warm-up for the one that counts!
    Conventional wisdom.

There is nothing better than being up 7 - 0 before the other team touches the ball.

Taking the opening kickoff says I'm gonna beat you. Period.

Deferring says "our plan might suck so we may need halftime to come up with a new strategy!"

Chicken.

Doesn't mean you don't have a Plan b, but if you never need to go to it that's best.

In this circumstance, taking the opening kick off says "We're gonna kick your ass!"

Deferring says "I'm gonna cover my ass!"

Chicken.
    Last edited by CommissarSpartacus; 01-24-2023 at 04:42 PM.

26. Post thanked by:

Mace (01-24-2023)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Conventional wisdom.

There is nothing better than being up 7 - 0 before the other team touches the ball.

Taking the opening kickoff says I'm gonna beat you. Period.

Deferring says "our plan might suck so we may need halftime to come up with a new strategy!"

Chicken.

Doesn't mean you don't have a Plan b, but if you never need to go to it that's best.

In this circumstance, taking the opening kick off says "We're gonna kick your ass!"

Deferring says "I'm gonna cover my ass!"

Chicken.
    That implies we make changes during halftime. We are more the trust the process and stay the course type.

28. Post thanked by:

Mace (01-24-2023)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by sahlensguy View Post
    Not terrible to defer until you immediately remembered that Zac Taylor took the ball to start the Hamlin game and shoved it down our throats.

Second year in a row that you almost knew the AFC division playoff game was over at a coin flip.
    He's passive by nature and can't get past it, like his defense. They're still stuck. Frazier is his confidant, scheme needs more talent, it will surely work. Always mostly does. Has to be the talent. Can't be the coaching, next year boys !! We said that last year. And the year before.

I don't think they fire him, but I don't think anything changes. He wants to politely knock on the door instead of crashing through it. It's his nature.

30. Post thanked by:

sahlensguy (01-24-2023)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

He's passive by nature and can't get past it, like his defense. They're still stuck. Frazier is his confidant, scheme needs more talent, it will surely work. Always mostly does. Has to be the talent. Can't be the coaching, next year boys !! We said that last year. And the year before.

I don't think they fire him, but I don't think anything changes. He wants to politely knock on the door instead of crashing through it. It's his nature.
    Sound of door knocking...

Who's there?

The Buffalo Bills. Might you open the door?

**** off!

- - - Updated - - -

You need to knock that ****ing door down in the NFL dude!!!!!

32. Post thanked by:

Mace (01-24-2023)