• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • OpIv37
    Acid Douching Asswipe
    • Sep 2002

Re: The Fire McDermott Thread

Originally posted by CommissarSpartacus View Post
    I'm not saying McD is a bad dude, he just makes bad decisions when the pressure is on, so he goes with conventional wisdom.

Like winning the coin toss and deferring to the second half kickoff.

That says you're worried about being behind after the first half.

So, how did that work out?

It was 14 - 0 before the Bills ran their fifth play.

"But, but conventional wisdom says you always defer when you win the coin toss! How can you criticize me for that!" - McD

Chicken.
    I don't entirely disagree with you- he does sometimes use the "conventional wisdom" approach when tough decisions need to be made.

But, the opening kickoff? It's 0-0 and not one second had ticked off the clock. And, we're at home. There's no reason NOT to go with the conventional wisdom in that scenario. At that point, there were no factors going against us to make him reconsider conventional wisdom.
    MiKiDo Facebook
    MiKiDo Website

Comment

• CommissarSpartacus
      • Mar 2003

Originally posted by sahlensguy View Post
      Did you watch the games?

Put no one away since early October. Lacked flow. Lacked identity. Allen regressed after the Chiefs game. Red zone efficiency was in the toilet. OC throwing a tantrum like a lunatic.

Games were close in spite of Dorsey.
      So, if Dorsey wasn't so ****ing incompetent, we would have gone undefeated?
      My tebya razdavim

Comment

• CommissarSpartacus
        • Mar 2003

Originally posted by OpIv37 View Post
        I don't entirely disagree with you- he does sometimes use the "conventional wisdom" approach when tough decisions need to be made.

But, the opening kickoff? It's 0-0 and not one second had ticked off the clock. And, we're at home. There's no reason NOT to go with the conventional wisdom in that scenario. At that point, there were no factors going against us to make him reconsider conventional wisdom.
        Sure, there's a reason.

You put your foot on their neck from the word go.

Taking the ball means you're confident.

Deferring means you're hesitant and worried.
        My tebya razdavim

Comment

• Forward_Lateral
          • Mar 2004

Of all the things that went wrong Sunday, I can't believe you are stuck on them deferring to the second half.

Comment

• sahlensguy
            • Mar 2015

So, if Dorsey wasn't so ****ing incompetent, we would have gone undefeated?
            Just was asking if you watched the games because your defense of him comes from the stat sheet.

Comment

• sahlensguy
              • Mar 2015

Sure, there's a reason.

You put your foot on their neck from the word go.

Taking the ball means you're confident.

Deferring means you're hesitant and worried.
              This can be true as evident when Zac Taylor took the ball to start the Hamlin game and shoved it down our throat, like the neighborhood bully.

Comment

• CommissarSpartacus
                • Mar 2003

Originally posted by Forward_Lateral View Post
                Of all the things that went wrong Sunday, I can't believe you are stuck on them deferring to the second half.
                It's just another example of McD bowing to conventional wisdom.

I bet you'd find that teams that start games 7 - 0 win more often than teams that start down 7 - 0.
                My tebya razdavim

Comment

• CommissarSpartacus
                  • Mar 2003

Originally posted by sahlensguy View Post
                  Just was asking if you watched the games because your defense of him comes from the stat sheet.
                  ???
                  My tebya razdavim

Comment

• notacon
                    • Aug 2012

Originally posted by Forward_Lateral View Post
                    Sure, but McDermott doesn't call the plays. A game plan is one thing, but if it's not working, then you need to adjust. Frazier refused to do that Sunday. They couldn't stop anything. The Bengals could've run for 400 yards if they wanted to.
                    You are missing a massive reality.....None of the coaches play on the field.

Brilliant coaches can conjure up all kinds of wonderful game plans....if the players do not execute, it’s all for naught.

The players DID execute well almost all of the time, but the few times they did not, it cost them everything.

Yesterday on GMFB (they have been brutally honest about the Bills loss) they briefly bounced around the idea on how much NOT getting a first round bye, hurt the Bills more than any other team.

With all they have gone through, a little breathing space of a fist round bye could have been a deciding factor. They mentioned that the team “was out of gas”.

KC backed into the #1 seed, and got amply rewarded, with a bye and getting to play Jax in the first round. An up-and-coming team for sure, but not ready for prime time just yet.

If the Monday night Hamlin death game was played (without the most likely cause of his malady, a once-in-a-billion hit in the chest at just the right place and in just the right millisecond between heart beats) who knows of the Bills would have won and secured the #1 seed.

But, more likely as the defining moments, were those handful of player ineptitude that prevented turning the threes loses into three wins.

Miami.....Josh Allen, at the Miami TWO yard line, had FOUR ****ING CHANCES to go ahead by 3, on 4th down, inexplicably skips the ball on the ground instead of into the hands of an open McKenzie for a TD.

Despite that, they STILL had a chance to win the game. But, McKenzie fails to get out of bounds and the clock runs out, preventing a winning FG try.

Jets game, Allen throws two TERRIBLE INT’s. Both HUGE.

First one on the Jets 13 yard line....red zone **** up. Second one was even worse. With the Bills up 14-10, Josh hands the ball to the Jets on their own 19 yard line. Easy TD even for crappy Zach Wilson. Jets ahead by 17-14. Bass misses a FG earlier preventing the Bills to extend their lead from 14-10 to 17-10. Setting up the go ahead score because of Allens’ monumental **** up

Despite all that, the Bills STILL had a chance to score either a tying FG or maybe even a winning TD. Even after Josh gets his arm mangled, he throws a ****ING DIME to Gabe Davis on the sideline. At the Jets TWENTY YARD LINE....and Davis let it slip right though his arms (just like he did several passes this year, including the Cincy loss).

Big time players make that big time play.

Minny, the Bills defense does their job, and stuffs the Vikings on the Bills one yard line. But, Josh cannot complete a kneel down snap, and instead fumbles away the win. Later, he throws ANOTHER crappy INT in OT to secure the LOSS.

None of these are on the coaches. They PLAYERS simply did not rise to the occasion. All it takes is a handful of these **** ups to ruin a season. And these moments did not involve the need for any kind of spectacular superman effort.

Make an easy pass into the flat. Get off the field to stop the clock. Catch a ball right on the numbers, directly into the “breadbasket”. Secure a kneel down snap. Don't throw the ball to the other team at the worst possible moments.

If any ONE of these moments went the other way, and the Bills turn ONE of those losses into a WIN, the Monday night Cincy game would not matter, they would have secured the #1 seed before that.

Almost assuring a AFC Championship game (after beating Jax at home), with Cincy and KC battling it out in the divisional round. IN BUFFALO!!!

McDermott (very deservingly) is a finalist for NFL Coach of the Year honors....and some confused Bills fans what to blow up the whole team by firing him?!?!?!

How totally idiotic and so far removed from reality.

Comment

• Mace
                      Haha...yeah you think so ?
                      • Mar 2013

There's no evidence whatever the Bills had brilliant coaches or a good game plan.

With Burrow shredding the zone coverage and struggling against man, they stayed primarily in zone. With Burrow having success all season against 4 man rushes, they primarily rushed 4, even when they blitzed, they dropped a lineman into coverage to only rush 4. Where Baltimore had success with stunts, we did not attempt any that I noticed.

They did not attempt to use the speed of Hines or Cook with screens, nor Beasley with fast slants.

They lined up deeper than the 1st down marker in zone. They came out flat and unmotivated and by the end were going through the motions.

Wake up, that's all coaching, and it starts with McDermott who is not learning from his mistakes.

Comment

• notacon
                        • Aug 2012

Originally posted by Mace View Post
                        There's no evidence whatever the Bills had brilliant coaches or a good game plan.

With Burrow shredding the zone coverage and struggling against man, they stayed primarily in zone. With Burrow having success all season against 4 man rushes, they primarily rushed 4, even when they blitzed, they dropped a lineman into coverage to only rush 4. Where Baltimore had success with stunts, we did not attempt any that I noticed.

They did not attempt to use the speed of Hines or Cook with screens, nor Beasley with fast slants.

They lined up deeper than the 1st down marker in zone. They came out flat and unmotivated and by the end were going through the motions.

Wake up, that's all coaching, and it starts with McDermott who is not learning from his mistakes.
                        No one said the Bills had "brilliant coaches or a good game plan”.

BUT, even if they DID, it takes the players executing. In a handful of situations that I highlighted above, they did not. And they did not even have to
                        perform at a high level in those plays.

Comment

• Mace
                          Haha...yeah you think so ?
                          • Mar 2013

Originally posted by notacon View Post
                          No one said the Bills had "brilliant coaches or a good game plan”.

BUT, even if they DID, it takes the players executing. In a handful of situations that I highlighted above, they did not. And they did not even have to
                          perform at a high level in those plays.

And it takes coaches coaching what the players are expected to execute. and that's just that. Zac Taylor didn't seem to have a problem protecting Burrow from his patched together OL, and handled the Bills offense without much issue, presumably directing a plan. 4th year of their program, 6th year of ours. They adjust, we don't.

Comment

• Typ0
                            honey pie
                            • Jul 2002

Notty you are missing an important point: the coaches are responsible for translating their game plan to the field. Hiding behind the execution excuse gets old. If the players can't or aren't doing it is your job to fix it.

Comment

• notacon
                              • Aug 2012

Originally posted by Typ0 View Post
                              Notty you are missing an important point: the coaches are responsible for translating their game plan to the field. Hiding behind the execution excuse gets old. If the players can't or aren't doing it is your job to fix it.
                              I’m not missing the point at all.

It’s just not an either/or proposition.

Read the examples I cited again. Think back to those moments. Watch them if you have NFL+. (I did before I wrote that post). Every one of those came down to player execution.

Not that I am giving the coaches a free ride. I’m not. They did not execute as well as they should have numerous times.

But, I believe some are missing an important point: the players are responsible to make the plays.

In all the instances I cited (that would have changed three losses into three wins), they had nothing to do with "translating their game plan to the field”....they all had to do with player ****-ups on relatively easy plays.....except maybe the Davis drop in the Jets game.....the ball was a DIME, RIGHT INTO HIS HANDS....he HAS to make that play......the Bills led the league in drops (34), and Davis led the team with nine of them.....so take that back, it was a “relatively easy play” that Davis ****ed up!!

That drop (probably) cost us a win.

Josh short hoping the ball on 4th down vs Miami, DID cost us the game.

Josh fumbling the kneel down snap, DID cost us the game.

Those are undeniable realities.

Comment

• sahlensguy
                                • Mar 2015

Originally posted by notacon View Post
                                I’m not missing the point at all.

It’s just not an either/or proposition.

Read the examples I cited again. Think back to those moments. Watch them if you have NFL+. (I did before I wrote that post). Every one of those came down to player execution.

Not that I am giving the coaches a free ride. I’m not. They did not execute as well as they should have numerous times.

But, I believe some are missing an important point: the players are responsible to make the plays.

In all the instances I cited (that would have changed three losses into three wins), they had nothing to do with "translating their game plan to the field”....they all had to do with player ****-ups on relatively easy plays.....except maybe the Davis drop in the Jets game.....the ball was a DIME, RIGHT INTO HIS HANDS....he HAS to make that play......the Bills led the league in drops (34), and Davis led the team with nine of them.....so take that back, it was a “relatively easy play” that Davis ****ed up!!

That drop (probably) cost us a win.

Josh short hoping the ball on 4th down vs Miami, DID cost us the game.

Josh fumbling the kneel down snap, DID cost us the game.

Those are undeniable realities.

Any plays left on the opponents field in our wins? Or are you just looking at us in our losses?

Comment

Working...
                                X