• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Typ0
    honey pie
    • Jul 2002

Re: The Fire McDermott Thread

Originally posted by notacon View Post
    the players are responsible to make the plays.

People need to be put into a position of success. We have two common threads here: the same coaches and different players who aren't making plays.

Our defense let's everyone march downfield then tightens up in the red zone. It really cuts into the limited chances they have to get stops against good teams. The whole philosophy of the defense is to get them backed up against a wall and then have herculean perfect players available to make it work. Well that never happens. The defense ends up getting owned time after time after time after time in critical situations. We also are going to undergo a lot of personnel change on the defense this season -- change after years of bigger expenditures on the defense in both draft capital and free agent signings. Where does this get us?

Let's rebuild the same old bull**** because everyone in the league has so much respect for Leslie Frazier.

This is not going to be successful. "The process" is supposed to bring about necessary change. It can't when your head coach is myopic. Instead, the process at OBD is to generate the SAME results not different ones.

The team won't be as good next season. We won't win the AFCE. There is always going to be a bogus excuse like the players just couldn't get it done coming out of the mouth of an overthinking myopic narcissist deeply entrenched in their own faulted mindset. We won't have the level of talent next season we enjoyed this year. The opportunity has been squandered.

The situation for the Bills in the immediate future is very grave. You have been watching this team for McDermott's tenure and they have been poorly managed on game day the entire time. Our coaches are taking our players out of games. They do it with poor game plans and play calling. They do it with lousy clock management. They do it by being stringent and not adjusting to anything in favor of "stick with the process".

It's about balance not stubbornness. Our staff is more stubborn than balanced. The wheels have slowly been coming off more and more as time goes on under this regime. It's just going to get uglier and uglier and more painful for everyone until we have to start over -- but let's remember we have a QB who can really play on the squad right now. So let's keep Frazier around out of loyalty and fire a backfield coach to clean up some problems Frazier is having. Yeah, right. Wanna buy a bridge in Florida?

Comment

• notacon
      • Aug 2012

Originally posted by Typ0 View Post
      People need to be put into a position of success. We have two common threads here: the same coaches and different players who aren't making plays.

Our defense let's everyone march downfield then tightens up in the red zone. It really cuts into the limited chances they have to get stops against good teams. The whole philosophy of the defense is to get them backed up against a wall and then have herculean perfect players available to make it work. Well that never happens. The defense ends up getting owned time after time after time after time in critical situations. We also are going to undergo a lot of personnel change on the defense this season -- change after years of bigger expenditures on the defense in both draft capital and free agent signings. Where does this get us?

Let's rebuild the same old bull**** because everyone in the league has so much respect for Leslie Frazier.

This is not going to be successful. "The process" is supposed to bring about necessary change. It can't when your head coach is myopic. Instead, the process at OBD is to generate the SAME results not different ones.

The team won't be as good next season. We won't win the AFCE. There is always going to be a bogus excuse like the players just couldn't get it done coming out of the mouth of an overthinking myopic narcissist deeply entrenched in their own faulted mindset. We won't have the level of talent next season we enjoyed this year. The opportunity has been squandered.

The situation for the Bills in the immediate future is very grave. You have been watching this team for McDermott's tenure and they have been poorly managed on game day the entire time. Our coaches are taking our players out of games. They do it with poor game plans and play calling. They do it with lousy clock management. They do it by being stringent and not adjusting to anything in favor of "stick with the process".

It's about balance not stubbornness. Our staff is more stubborn than balanced. The wheels have slowly been coming off more and more as time goes on under this regime. It's just going to get uglier and uglier and more painful for everyone until we have to start over -- but let's remember we have a QB who can really play on the squad right now. So let's keep Frazier around out of loyalty and fire a backfield coach to clean up some problems Frazier is having. Yeah, right. Wanna buy a bridge in Florida?
      Not one word of this addresses the facts that I presented in the three games we lost. The team was put in the position to win at the end. The players did not execute relatively simple plays.

And blaming the defense is lazy as can be. It was the OFFENSE that constantly let the team down. The OFFENSE was inconsistent. The OFFENSE ****ed up when the defense put them in a position to win.

Declaring, unequivocally, that the Bills will not win the AFCE next year is what is what is “faulted mindset”.

Sorry, but I do not buy what you are selling.

Comment

• Buffalogic
        Rumblin' Stumblin' Bumblin'
        • Feb 2006

I like McDermott. He's a good coach. He needs a bona fide OC to handle the offense for this team to take the next step. This Dorsey learning on the job thing is a bad formula for the bills. They also need an aggressive defensive coordinator. Stop playing an archaic defense that never takes the attack to the offense.

Comment

• Historian
          2020-2023 AFC East Champions!
          • Dec 2002

Originally posted by CommissarSpartacus View Post
          It's just another example of McD bowing to conventional wisdom.

I bet you'd find that teams that start games 7 - 0 win more often than teams that start down 7 - 0.
          I don't necessarily agree with this.

If you have a good defense, you put them out first to make a statement.

Comment

• Typ0
            honey pie
            • Jul 2002

Originally posted by notacon View Post
            Not one word of this addresses the facts that I presented in the three games we lost. The team was put in the position to win at the end. The players did not execute relatively simple plays.

And blaming the defense is lazy as can be. It was the OFFENSE that constantly let the team down. The OFFENSE was inconsistent. The OFFENSE ****ed up when the defense put them in a position to win.

Declaring, unequivocally, that the Bills will not win the AFCE next year is what is what is “faulted mindset”.

Sorry, but I do not buy what you are selling.
            I am asking what is it going to take to level-up in the playoffs? Are we going to be able to do that with the systems we are currently running? It's a matter of the people we have developing tunnel vision and the necessity for change. McDermott and the Bills would be better off with a change of scenery the way things stand right now. It's just where we are at. Yes, it's my opinion. It's partly dependent on how this season went and what decisions might be made to escape the fallout. And you can't step in and tell McDermott who to hire either that is a different type of powder keg that isn't going where you want to go. McDermott's brain needs to wrap it's way around some adjustments that have to be made that aren't being made. Firing him might just work out best for everyone! I think there are very valid concerns that have been bought up ownership should strongly consider. It just wouldn't surprise me as much as most if Pegula pulled the trigger and tried to mix things up and see what came out. But he would have a plan in place and know what he was doing and where he was going which is a huge hurdle in trying the re-mix strategy.

Comment

• CommissarSpartacus
              • Mar 2003

Originally posted by Historian View Post

And that statement is "I don't trust our offense."
              My tebya razdavim

Comment

• Kenny
                • Aug 2004

Originally posted by Historian View Post

Yeah, I'm in the camp of deferring if you have a good defense. Nothing more debilitating to the other team than forcing a 3 and out, and then your offense marching down the field scoring a TD. And then also getting the ball first in the second half.

Comment

• sahlensguy
                  • Mar 2015

Originally posted by Kenny View Post
                  Yeah, I'm in the camp of deferring if you have a good defense. Nothing more debilitating to the other team than forcing a 3 and out, and then your offense marching down the field scoring a TD. And then also getting the ball first in the second half.
                  Easily more debilitating is having the audacity to take the opening ball and effortlessly shove it down the opponents throat.

The like Bengals did us, in the Hamlin game.

Comment

• Historian
                    2020-2023 AFC East Champions!
                    • Dec 2002

No, it isn't.

And to suggest that illustrates that you really don't understand the American version of the game.

Comment

• Novacane
                      • Jul 2002

Or it could be saying I trust our defense to make the stop and now the advantage is ours.

Comment

• CommissarSpartacus
                        • Mar 2003

Originally posted by Novacane View Post
                        Or it could be saying I trust our defense to make the stop and now the advantage is ours.
                        You take the ball and score a TD you get a real advantage, not just a hypothetical one.
                        My tebya razdavim

Comment

• Typ0
                          honey pie
                          • Jul 2002

You take the ball and score a TD you get a real advantage, not just a hypothetical one.
                          OK well you stop them on D then take the ball and score a TD you have created an even greater 'real advantage'.

Comment

• OpIv37
                            Acid Douching Asswipe
                            • Sep 2002

ok. But our O went 3 and out on the first two drives and only managed 10 points all game.

You take the ball, you go 3 and out, they march down the field and score a touchdown, and now it's 5 min in the game, and they have a 7 point lead and get the ball first after the half.

Your whole argument is predicated on the assumption that the Bills would have scored if we got the ball first. That's not a realistic assumption.
                            MiKiDo Facebook
                            MiKiDo Website

Comment

• CommissarSpartacus
                              • Mar 2003

Originally posted by Typ0 View Post
                              OK well you stop them on D then take the ball and score a TD you have created an even greater 'real advantage'.
                              The game does not mandate an equal amount of possessions.

If you take the opening kickoff, it's entirely possible to wind up with one more possession than the other team, and with all things being equal gives you a serious mathematical advantage.
                              My tebya razdavim

Comment

• Typ0
                                honey pie
                                • Jul 2002

The game does not mandate an equal amount of possessions.

If you take the opening kickoff, it's entirely possible to wind up with one more possession than the other team, and with all things being equal gives you a serious mathematical advantage.
                                That's why I think deferring to the 2nd half is viable...because it would be more important to have an extra possession in the 2nd half than the 1st!

We're just going to go back and forth on this one anyway as it is somewhat arbitrary.

Comment

Working...
                                X