Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The Fire McDermott Thread

Thanks
    Thanked 1,793 Times in 1,206 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

The Fire McDermott Thread

The time is now for Pegula to step in and fire our current staff -- the time now is much better than two or three years down the road. Very difficult decision but this is where we are headed if action is not taken.

Listen to what they have to say. I have heard what they have to say. The same old "we need to learn from this".

Well, you keep saying you need to learn from things then keep doing the same things over and over.

If we see a firing of a coach in the next few days ... it should be taken for the escapist bunk that it is -- McDermott finding fall guys when the responsibility is his.

We are going to continue spinning our wheels under McDermott. I began to speak these words two years ago and they continue to get louder and gain evidentiary steam.

The Growth Mindset, for one thing, is crippling on a small scale. It is a great mentality in the big picture but trying to win play to play and week to week the growth mindset is going to set you back. The growth mindset is something for the off-season. Why is that so important? Because people need good direction and don't have time to sit around and think about their meta skills when they are trying to catch or defend a pass!

McDermott is a great leader. It shows. I love a lot of things McDermott does. But there are other areas where he ends the discussion if he should remain like when he allows Josh Allen to choose his own OC. This is a horrible thing to do! Josh Allen is a kid. He needs structure and boundaries to work within. He's got none. What we have is a balls to the wall Josh Allen philosophy -- which ends up being an evasive pile of excuses why the team underachieves because Josh Allen doesn't have what he needs and the team is not prepared and not on the same page.

Allen could be destined to be a great Quarterback in this league but he is not headed there under McDermott. Allen is being destroyed by McDermott's hands off empowerment attitude. The right teaching has not been there and the right structure is not there. The scheming and playcalling on offense and defense continues to be attrocious. It is so bad we can't execute a simple throw and catch in favor of a big failed shot downfield or some other misuse of opportunity.

I am sorry folks, it is over for McDermott. He's not going to learn and change enough to understand his defensive philosophy is old and doesn't work. We aren't aggressive. We aren't disriptive. We don't tackle. The scheming is poor. The rotation sucks. The defense just isn't adaptable to different players and skill sets that must evolve throughout a season. Don't really care how top 5ish Fraziers stats are we all see it on a weekly basis. Even weak offenses march down field on us. The defense we currently run will NEVER beat a good offense playing well but they can do a great job waiting around for others to play poor and rack up some stats. Do you want to win the big game or increase the coaches salary?

Yesterday, Frazier sent his defensive backs 10 yards deep on 3rd and 8. How do you overcome that type of coaching? They didn't learn **** from 13 seconds proven with that call then came out to the media and gave you some "we need to learn from this" bull****.

And the offense. Allen does not get to pick and choose what he does and doesn't want. I will tell you I have a very strong marketing and research backround and everything I do I ask people to hear what's going on when they are effected by what is done. That is the way to do it. But McDermott NEVER truly has his hands on the pulse of this team nor does he EVER see tough ways he needs to intervene to protect people from themselves. What McDermott's philosophy and practice does is empower people to allow their weaknesses to grow into things that can't be overcome.

McDermott needs to be fired this week unfortunately. Someone with more discipline needs to be hired. Someone who actually intervenes and coaches as opposed to McDermott, who waits until things are happening and see's what people come up with in order to address challenges. He's not going to change into someone who can teach discipline. I'm not saying he's not disciplined -- I'm saying he can't develop a culture of discipline because he doesn't properly model and teach discipline.

The team was an emotional wreck yesterday. They didn't even show up to play. Josh Allen jumps into defenders then yells and screams in their faces. He pushes people around in frustration and yells and screams like an angry toddler on the field. Diggs was having a meltdown for 3/4 of the game. Then they all talk about 'humility' because McDermott preaches humility but doesn't actually live or allow humility to be a part of the process. Instead, McDermott's philosophy is to wallow in your egoism because you are a 'competitor'.

The message is inconsistent and the culture gets to be a mess because McDermott doesn't manage it with anything but a very passive that-a-boy attitude. McDermott has been a great guy to help build a better culture but it's gotten to a point where he is destroying our capability to level up -- it is time to part ways and reach for the mountaintop. Unless Beane makes this decision you are going to need to send Beane packing as well. So be it. Better than doing the same thing again next year and continually underachieving under McDermott. McDermott is a guy who is going to get more out of a less team and less out of a more team. He needs to go find other doors to keep knocking on because we want someone here who plans on walking through the door not just knocking on it.

2. Post thanked by:

kscdogbillsfan1221 (01-23-2023),starrymessenger (01-24-2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,305 Times in 3,795 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: The Fire McDermott Thread

He needs to be, but won't.

4. Post thanked by:

swiper (01-23-2023)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by sahlensguy View Post
    He needs to be, but won't.
    You are right and it is unfortunate. He's a very good coach and an excellent leader! We need something different to get over the hump though.

Thanks
    Thanked 11,690 Times in 7,752 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

You mean the “Dumb Fire McDermott Thread”.

No. There is no way the Bills fire McDermott and there is no reasonable reason to do so. How ****ing stupid.

7. Post thanked by:

Albany,n.y. (01-23-2023)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by notacon View Post
    You mean the “Dumb Fire McDermott Thread”.

No. There is no way the Bills fire McDermott and there is no reasonable reason to do so. How ****ing stupid.
    Check back in 3 years you obviously need more evidence. I don't. They don't learn. They don't evolve. Same results. Same melt-downs. Same lack of managerial oversight. Same poor planning. Same bogus lipspeak after the results. You might as well have Donald Trump or Joe Biden as our football coach.

Josh Allen has been mismanaged here since he was drafted.

The same thing will continue until he's destroyed ... and you will call it 'bad luck'. 20 years of waiting to have a property like Allen on the team and now this....

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Miami will win the AFC E next season. Hell, if Brady goes to the JETS we will end up finishing 3rd as both of those organizations are better coached than ours.

We play to win the game! BuffaloBlitz83's Avatar
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

You don’t need to fire him. You just need to fire the offensive coordinator

Thanks
    Thanked 11,468 Times in 7,085 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

He'llt be our Marvin Lewis

12. Post thanked by:

Mace (01-23-2023)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by BuffaloBlitz83 View Post
    That is what he is going to say...and he's already proven devoid of understanding about human denial and who our worst enemies are.

Registered User CommissarSpartacus's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,929 Times in 13,281 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

McDermott is now, and always has been a chicken.

When the pressure is on you can always count on him to do whatever will garner him the least criticism if it fails.
    My tebya razdavim

15. Post thanked by:

starrymessenger (01-24-2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 12,385 Times in 7,270 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I'm not onboard with a total rebuild and that's what firing McD would be. I'd like to see both coordinators changed. If I can only have 1 it would be Frazier. I'll give Dorsey 1 more year.

17. Post thanked by:

Kenny (01-23-2023),Mace (01-23-2023)

We play to win the game! BuffaloBlitz83's Avatar
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Novacane View Post
    I'm not onboard with a total rebuild and that's what firing McD would be. I'd like to see both coordinators changed. If I can only have 1 it would be Frazier. I'll give Dorsey 1 more year.
    Perfect fit as DC is Brian Flores. He was great on Defense. Miamigot worse after he left. He also hates Miami with passion

19. Post thanked by:

jamze132 (01-25-2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,690 Times in 7,752 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Typ0 View Post
    Check back in 3 years you obviously need more evidence. I don't. They don't learn. They don't evolve. Same results. Same melt-downs. Same lack of managerial oversight. Same poor planning. Same bogus lipspeak after the results. You might as well have Donald Trump or Joe Biden as our football coach.

The same thing will continue until he's destroyed ... and you will call it 'bad luck'. 20 years of waiting to have a property like Allen on the team and now this....
    Nonsense.

Haha...yeah you think so ? Mace's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,488 Times in 9,185 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Perfect fit as DC is Brian Flores. He was great on Defense. Miamigot worse after he left. He also hates Miami with passion
    Different style of defense than McDermott's chosen slop.

No one will get fired, and this is what we're stuck with.

22. Post thanked by:

sahlensguy (01-23-2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 30,518 Times in 17,411 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Typ0 View Post

Please. All but a half dozen teams would kill to have a QB "mismanaged" like Josh Allen has been.

The only person mismanaging Josh is Josh himself.
    YardRat Wall of Fame
    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by justasportsfan View Post
    He'llt be our Marvin Lewis
    Marvin Lewis never won a playoff game...ever...so McD already isn't 'our version'.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Dorsey isn't the problem.

Frasier and Josh are.

26. Post thanked by:

Mace (01-23-2023)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

He might be a good DC, not sure if he fits the culture. He's too much in the Wrecks Wryan/Greg Williams camp.

Buckle me in on the highway of sin mightysimi's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,016 Times in 1,380 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

McDermott as been to the playoffs 5 out 6 years after the team missed for almost 2 decades. We have won a playoff game in 3 consecutive years which is a feat that 21 other franchises can't say they've done. Highly ranked on O, Highly ranked on D and ST.

All this to say I don't think he is going anywhere.

Haha...yeah you think so ? Mace's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,488 Times in 9,185 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by YardRat View Post
    Marvin Lewis never won a playoff game...ever...so McD already isn't 'our version'.
    The general idea is there though. The annual crumpling choke.