Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Here's what I would do, if I'm Beane and company, contract wise this offseason

Thanks
    Thanked 1,961 Times in 1,235 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: Here's what I would do, if I'm Beane and company, contract wise this offseason

Quote Originally Posted by sukie View Post
    How is KC not in cap trouble? Kelce volunteering? To say there can be no improvement with restructuring and or cutting players (eating any dead money if it frees up space.

changes will be made. If KC can continue to do it so can Buffalo.
    Outside of Frank/Reid/Jones they don't spend much on D. I mean Poyer and Hyde were so cheap that we basically had both for the price of Reid, but we are paying Von/Tre/Milano, and Taron is making more than any Chiefs CB.....

They passed on signing Hill, and it's going to free up a lot of space, while we extended Diggs.
    Last edited by kingJofNYC; 01-24-2023 at 12:47 PM.

2. Post thanked by:

The last buffalo fan (01-24-2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,084 Times in 5,849 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: Here's what I would do, if I'm Beane and company, contract wise this offseason

Kelce wipes out Diggs. I do feel that Poyer and Hyde are gone. Milano makes plays. Positive plays.

it’s gonna be interesting

Hill wanted and got a boatload. There will be a lot of rookie contracts and prove it contracts. Just can’t get attached to players because to have a Josh… Piper needs to be paid somewhere.

don’t need lock down guys if you can generate a rush. Don’t need expensive backs if you can generate a rush block.

fix lines… not overhaul just fix and build from there.

competent offensive play calling and scheme makes stars

Florio spoke of it on Twitter

Bills had 2 guys that could break it deep and a bunch of slot guys yet they played deep ball all the time. No salary cap space fixes that.
    Last edited by sukie; 01-24-2023 at 12:51 PM.

4. Post thanked by:

Historian (01-24-2023),The last buffalo fan (01-24-2023)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Bengals are coming due too. Have to resign Higgins, Logan Wilson is going to want money, and some others. Listen, you guys get too tight when OpIv talks about windows. He's right in the following, our window with cheap contracts is kind of shut. We had guys like Edmunds/Milano/Oliver/Taron/Allen/Knox/Davis all on cheap deals, that pretty much is done and over with. Bengals still have cheap deals, but that will close up soon too. Have to restock in the draft, and that's why I've been up Beane's ass, he's missed way too much the last 4 years and we don't have cheap players that contribute.

6. Post thanked by:

OpIv37 (01-24-2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 26,210 Times in 13,678 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by kingJofNYC View Post
    Bengals are coming due too. Have to resign Higgins, Logan Wilson is going to want money, and some others. Listen, you guys get too tight when OpIv talks about windows. He's right in the following, our window with cheap contracts is kind of shut. We had guys like Edmunds/Milano/Oliver/Taron/Allen/Knox/Davis all on cheap deals, that pretty much is done and over with. Bengals still have cheap deals, but that will close up soon too. Have to restock in the draft, and that's why I've been up Beane's ass, he's missed way too much the last 4 years and we don't have cheap players that contribute.
    The other thing that sucks is that there's so much that can go wrong. Allen could get hurt. The whole OL could get injured like all the DB's did this year. Miami could have a great off-season and take the div from us. Look what happened to the last two SB winners. TB only made the playoffs because they were in a weak division, and they lost in the first round. The Rams completely fell apart and didn't even make the playoffs after winning the SB last year.

Now, I'm NOT saying that any of those bad things will happen, or that the Bills will regress because the Bucs and Rams did. I'm just saying that having Josh and a bunch of other good players doesn't guarantee us another legit shot at a title.

Thanks
    Thanked 11,631 Times in 7,702 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Lexwhat View Post
    To be fair - Cincy hit the lotto (credit to them) for getting Burrow, Chase, and a few other playmakers still on their rookie deals. Their time to pay their mortgages is coming very soon.

Yes, our window is now tighter, but the team needs a new direction and a roster / coaching makeover. Unless the Bills are status quo next year, they are every bit in contention as long as we have Josh Allen.
    Yeah....they got them because they were worst team in the NFL n 2019....dead last with a dismal 2-14 record, and 4th worst team in the NFL in 2020, with another dismal record of 4-11-1.

We like to bemoan how “terrible” the Bills were during the drought, but they were NOT even close to that bad as Cincy was those two seasons.

In FACT, the last time the Bills had such a dismal multi-year record was 1984 to 1986. 2-14, 2-14 & 4-12.

Of course that fueled their rise to a 4-time AFC Champion with advantageous draft picks.

And today, having high draft picks is even more critical than it was in the 80’s, because of the cap, and virtually dictated rookie contracts depending on draft placement and playoff position. There are NO holdouts of draft picks anymore.

Certainly not like the debacle of Jim Kelly by crappy owner Ralph Wilson.....cheapskate bastard!!! Who was more interested in bean counting than building a professional organization and a consistent contender.

The Bills ****ed up the drafting of Jim Kelly in 1983, by refusing to sign him (that is a non-issue in today’s NFL) and had him waste his first three years of his career in the USFL. They also wasted their first pick of that draft on Tony Hunter, BUST TE (Hunter was #12 overall, Kelly #14)

It takes more skill to field a perennial contender after the rookie contracts are over, especially for a franchise QB, but is not even close to impossible (no matter that Opi says), and we are about to find out if Beane has that skill.

I suspect he does, and then some.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by OpIv37 View Post
    The other thing that sucks is that there's so much that can go wrong. Allen could get hurt. The whole OL could get injured like all the DB's did this year. Miami could have a great off-season and take the div from us. Look what happened to the last two SB winners. TB only made the playoffs because they were in a weak division, and they lost in the first round. The Rams completely fell apart and didn't even make the playoffs after winning the SB last year.

Now, I'm NOT saying that any of those bad things will happen, or that the Bills will regress because the Bucs and Rams did. I'm just saying that having Josh and a bunch of other good players doesn't guarantee us another legit shot at a title.
    No question about it, there's a lot of randomness that goes on every year, but you can't worry about that because you can't control it. It happens it happens.

Bills team looked shot on Sunday, they didn't show up at all, they looked dead. That's going to happen too occasionally, unfortunately it happened in the playoffs. I mean look at the Chiefs, they almost lost to the Texans and Broncos last few weeks of the year, you want those games in the regular season, the no shows, not in the playoffs. Remember when the Colts thrashed us and everyone was losing their minds during the regular season. Well the team bounced back and did what they had to, 13 seconds though....LOL.

Look the Chiefs play in a **** division, they have a generational talent at QB, but they have the easiest road this year. But that's the structure of it, they just have to win 2 games and they play for the championship.

Thanks
    Thanked 11,631 Times in 7,702 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Jesus. The constant negativity and, looking at a glass mostly filled and proclaiming it almost empty, is tiresome and insufferable.

The American Psychological Association (APA) defines pessimism as “the attitude that things will go wrong and that people's wishes or aims are unlikely to be fulfilled”

This is particularly insightful and describe Opi’s posts to a “T”....

Signs of Pessimism

How can you tell if you or someone you know may be a pessimistic person? Signs of pessimism include:

• You feel surprised when things actually work out.
    • You don't go after what you want because you think you will probably fail.
    • You tend to focus on what can go wrong in a situation.
    • You think that the risks almost always outweigh the benefits.
    • You experience imposter syndrome and undervalue your abilities.
    • You tend to concentrate on your flaws or weaknesses rather than your strengths.
    • You often feel annoyed by people with an optimistic demeanor.
    • You often engage in negative self-talk.
    • You assume that all good things will eventually come to an end.
    • You find it easier to live with the status quo than change things for the better.

Sometimes I really feel sorry for you, to have that mindset, it must be awful.

BTW....the reason the Rams and Tampa Bay have fallen so fast after their SB wins, is because they SOLD THEIR SOULS (and the future of their team) to win ONE title. Dumb. And I hope the Bills never fall into that trap.

Registered User Forward_Lateral's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,009 Times in 4,235 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by kingJofNYC View Post
    Right now The Benglas have just under 50 million in space next season. However, they have to pay Burrow. You would think they'd use a good portion of that up and extend him this offseason. Then, they'll have to pay the other guys you mentioned.

Every team with a franchise QB has the same problems. You HAVE to draft well and build certain parts of your team through the draft. That's why the Patriots were so good for so long. The had Brady, and it really didn't matter who else, because guys were interchangeable. When a guy wanted too much money, they traded him and drafted the replacement.

The Chiefs are in much more trouble, IMO. They are paying Mahomes, Clark and Jones $105 million combined. They will have guys that want to be paid as well, and will have to let guys walk.

12. Post thanked by:

Historian (01-24-2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 12,355 Times in 7,250 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I'll wait and see what the off-season brings. I still think the Bills will be the favorite in their division. Can the Dolphins or Jets pass us? Not without big upgrades at QB. Tua will never make it through another season without a concussion IMO. The Jetsa are the Jets. I expect them to eff it up like they aleays do. Past the division Beane better bring in some tougher players. We're soft.

Thanks
    Thanked 30,467 Times in 17,375 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Forward_Lateral View Post
    1.) Restructure Josh. Saves 21 million

2.) Restructure Tre. Saves 5 million

3.) Restructure Diggs. Saves 5 million

4.) Restructure Morse (if he doesn't retire)-- Savings of 3 million.

According to Sportac, this would put the Bills at 17.5 million in space for next year. You could still restructure Milano, Dawkins, Taron, and free up another 10 million.

Cutting Hynes saves almost 5 million.

They could, if they really wanted/needed to, get to $30+ million in space.

It's not AS bad as we think, BUT, this just passes the buck down the line, and eventually there will be no cap space, unless it goes up astronomically in a few years.
    Last I checked (yesterday) Spotrac had the Bills $5 mil over the cap. If you suggestions are accurate they shave $34 million, so those four moves alone would get us to $29mil under.
    YardRat Wall of Fame
    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

15. Post thanked by:

The last buffalo fan (01-24-2023)

Making Spirits Bright Joe Fo Sho's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,595 Times in 1,857 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

It's not negativity. It's the reality of the situation.
    Can you tell me how the Bills will do next year so I can bet the complete opposite of it and make another small fortune off of your Miss Cleo predicting self. I'm trying to knock another couple years off my retirement age like I was able to do this year.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Wasn’t a fan of that Beane conference. He spoke about cheap rookie contracts that favors the bengals, which is fine, it’s true, but the reason we don’t have that luxury is because of draft misses. He hasn’t taken a single WR in the first two days of the draft…..

Hes taken 3 running back on day 2, like in the last 4 years, lol. We could of had what they had Beane you just went for a veteran WR instead of a rookie, took bust on OL, and whiffed when you had a top 9 pick. Do better and don’t talk about it, just say kudos to the Bengals and that we need to do better.

basically, the bengals took advantage of their fortune, so far you havent.
    Last edited by kingJofNYC; 01-24-2023 at 06:26 PM.