Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ulmark

Thanks
    Thanked 26,216 Times in 13,682 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: Ulmark

Quote Originally Posted by sukie View Post
    I get that but the New NHL without almost every team having great goaltending makes no sense to me.

if there is a shortage of good goaltending in the league then something happened
    Well, I think part of it is that the league wants more scoring, so they're doing everything they can to increase scoring. They got rid of the two line pass, made the goal posts smaller, made the goalie pads smaller, went to 4 on 4 then 3 on 3 overtime, started calling more penalties, etc. It was much easier to be a goaltender in the 90's than it is now.

2. Post thanked by:

sukie (01-26-2023)

Buckle me in on the highway of sin mightysimi's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,015 Times in 1,379 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I think goalies are just so unpredictable. Even year over year it is hard to predict results. There was a reason teams stopped drafting them in the 1st round as it was just such a crap shoot and traditionally, goalies take a bit of time to develop.

For Canada the answer is fairly simple, when we started allowing teams to bring in overseas talent, they saw no value in developing a Canadian kid who maybe wasn't as good. On top of the fact that as hockey gets more expensive, and goalie equipment being the priciest, less people play the position. So less people + no where to go after minor hockey = very few quality goaltending products.

The US has really taken a lead in North America in terms of goalies but again a crap shoot but looking around the league. Vasy drafted in the 1st round, Helle drafted in the 5th round, Saros drated in the 4th round, Oettinger 1st round, Sorokin 3rd round. That is most of the guys near the top of the s% list and no correlation to the draft positon.

4. Post thanked by:

sukie (01-26-2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 16,433 Times in 11,991 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by OpIv37 View Post
    Well, I think part of it is that the league wants more scoring, so they're doing everything they can to increase scoring. They got rid of the two line pass, made the goal posts smaller, made the goalie pads smaller, went to 4 on 4 then 3 on 3 overtime, started calling more penalties, etc. It was much easier to be a goaltender in the 90's than it is now.
    They didn't make the goalposts smaller. They made the goals less deep.

Small pads actually help goalies. We can get deeper angle of attacks and move more fluidly and quickly now. Goaltending has turned into a butterfly league where goalies are more agile down than up.

- - - Updated - - -

I get that but the New NHL without almost every team having great goaltending makes no sense to me.

if there is a shortage of good goaltending in the league then something happened
    It's not that there's a shortage. It's that the gap between elite goaltenders and average goaltenders has narrowed considerably
    Flag of Ukraine.svg

Thanks
    Thanked 5,214 Times in 3,683 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Who forgot how hot the Blues’ goalie got & won the a cup, we had Hasek in his prime & only made the show one season. We have the NHL’s top scoring offense, so there’s one thing down with another defenseman / hot goalie to go.

Retired - On Several Levels Night Train's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,240 Times in 7,618 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Is Ullmark elite or a product of being surrounded by a great team ?

I think he's good but never a difference maker at all when he was here. Didn't we have cap issues when that decision needed to be made ?

Could this be folks looking strictly at Stats and equating that to preceived greatness ? I don't care what so called awards he wins this year. He's not the best NHL goalie in the NHL in actual ability.
    Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Buckle me in on the highway of sin mightysimi's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,015 Times in 1,379 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Night Train View Post
    Is Ullmark elite or a product of being surrounded by a great team ?

I think he's good but never a difference maker at all when he was here. Didn't we have cap issues when that decision needed to be made ?

Could this be folks looking strictly at Stats and equating that to preceived greatness ? I don't care what so called awards he wins this year. He's not the best NHL goalie in the NHL in actual ability.
    Top goalie in the league in goals saved above expected which shows he isn't just tagging along, and he has a killer team.

Thanks
    Thanked 13,409 Times in 9,123 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by JATMtheJATM View Post
    And no, Levi is not an option for next year. Let him grow in the AHL
    Ok.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by swiper View Post
    Ok.
    Bruh, that was January. Given the track records of goalies needing to marinate in the minors, this was a safe bet. But one I lost in this case

Thanks
    Thanked 13,409 Times in 9,123 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Bruh, that was January. Given the track records of goalies needing to marinate in the minors, this was a safe bet. But one I lost in this case
    No need to go mental, Bro.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Ullmark was happy in Buffalo, but Buffalo looked the other way, and by the time they looked at Ullmark, he decided to test free agency. And the Sabres have neglected the position ever sense.

Dont get me wrong. I'm thrilled with UPLs development this season. And I'm thrilled with Anderson playing great at age 41. And I'm happy they tried Comrie. It was believed he could come into his own.

But...

Anderson can't play heavily IF they make the playoffs. UPL still has bad stats that are looking better, but nothing you should say "THATS OUR GUY!" with

And Comrie has been awful.

But they're locked in. And with a weak UFA goalie class this off-season, it's unlikely to be addressed for NEXT SEASON either.

And no, Levi is not an option for next year. Let him grow in the AHL
    This really came to fruition.

But Levi was Stout tonight

Thanks
    Thanked 7,522 Times in 6,084 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Some say Levi at 21 will be NHL ready. Perhaps in a back up role at first.
    On board with this!

28 **60 **128 **133 **144 **160
    163 **189 **200 **204 **248