Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ulmark

Thanks
    Thanked 5,814 Times in 3,476 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Ulmark

Kind of wish we kept him. Are we going to be ok at goalie with what UPL?

Thanks
    Thanked 26,210 Times in 13,678 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: Ulmark

Quote Originally Posted by jamze132 View Post
    Kind of wish we kept him. Are we going to be ok at goalie with what UPL?
    That's the million dollar question. There are times where he looks to be developing into an NHL goalie, but then there's always a setback. A lot of people are doubting whether he'll ever be an NHL starter.

The Sabres have a lot of good, young offensive players, and aren't far from being true contenders in terms of offense. In terms of D and goaltending, they have work to do.

3. Post thanked by:

jamze132 (01-26-2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 16,428 Times in 11,988 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Ullmark was happy in Buffalo, but Buffalo looked the other way, and by the time they looked at Ullmark, he decided to test free agency. And the Sabres have neglected the position ever sense.

Dont get me wrong. I'm thrilled with UPLs development this season. And I'm thrilled with Anderson playing great at age 41. And I'm happy they tried Comrie. It was believed he could come into his own.

But...

Anderson can't play heavily IF they make the playoffs. UPL still has bad stats that are looking better, but nothing you should say "THATS OUR GUY!" with

And Comrie has been awful.

But they're locked in. And with a weak UFA goalie class this off-season, it's unlikely to be addressed for NEXT SEASON either.

And no, Levi is not an option for next year. Let him grow in the AHL
    Flag of Ukraine.svg

5. Post thanked by:

jamze132 (01-26-2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,084 Times in 5,849 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Some say Levi at 21 will be NHL ready. Perhaps in a back up role at first.

Asst to Dean Vernon Wormer POTLAND PSILBYLO's Avatar
    Portland, Oregon Cocoa Mate: Mandy Pepperidge
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,752 Times in 3,306 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Put Levi in GOYLE.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by sukie View Post
    Some say Levi at 21 will be NHL ready. Perhaps in a back up role at first.
    No one should be expecting Levi to be ready. If you are.... Woof.

The sabres would be best to find a true starter (if they expect to compete next year) and have UPL back him up.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

So we don’t start goalies in the NHL until mid 20s earliest?

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

So we don’t start goalies in the NHL until mid 20s earliest?
    Why rush him? Do we want to stunt his growth?

If he's ready, he's ready. But a season in Roch is going to help, not hurt.

Call him up for a game or so next year. But don't expect him to carry a backup load for a team that desires to make the postseason

Thanks
    Thanked 5,214 Times in 3,683 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

We have like 8 all-stars on the team right now, anyone watch the 3 on 3 OT’s lately ?? The other teams are like oh F- we can’t skate with these guys. Our goalies take turns scaring us with 3-4 goal leads, that’s not easy.

12. Post thanked by:

jamze132 (01-26-2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,814 Times in 3,476 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

It sucks because we have one of the best offenses in the league finally. We have to score at least 4 to win and sometimes that’s not enough.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by jamze132 View Post
    It sucks because we have one of the best offenses in the league finally. We have to score at least 4 to win and sometimes that’s not enough.
    I was thinking about this last night.

I'm old school. Build from the net out. Get a goalie, build your defense. You can win being stingy. Offense is really the easiest weakness to go out and fix, right? So this feels backwards to me.

However! They seem to be doing it right. They have a potential franchise goalie in Levi. They have power who is developing, Sammy, who is great in his own end, and that Dahlin guy isnt bad either. You get a few more quality d-men, and you are REALLY cooking.

15. Post thanked by:

jamze132 (01-28-2023)

Buckle me in on the highway of sin mightysimi's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,015 Times in 1,379 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Who do you guys think was the last elite goalie to hit the open market? I can't think of anyone personally. Not sure I would call Bobrobsky elite. Can't really think of anyone else. Might need to trade for a goalie or draft one.

I also don't think it's fair to compare the Bruins to the Sabres IRT Ullmark. They are the best team in the league by 7 wins with a history of elite D and their no 1 C is an elite shut down man. Not exactly a fair comparison. I think early last year, they were regretting the deal. We will see if this is the new normal or a long heater.

17. Post thanked by:

Night Train (01-27-2023)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by mightysimi View Post
    Who do you guys think was the last elite goalie to hit the open market? I can't think of anyone personally. Not sure I would call Bobrobsky elite. Can't really think of anyone else. Might need to trade for a goalie or draft one.

I also don't think it's fair to compare the Bruins to the Sabres IRT Ullmark. They are the best team in the league by 7 wins with a history of elite D and their no 1 C is an elite shut down man. Not exactly a fair comparison. I think early last year, they were regretting the deal. We will see if this is the new normal or a long heater.
    Well, I don't think we need to find an elite goalie on the open market, just someone younger than Anderson and more consistent than Comrie to share time with Ullmark for a year or two while Levi develops. If we can find that, then we're a playoff team. Not a real Cup contender, but a playoff team.

Buckle me in on the highway of sin mightysimi's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,015 Times in 1,379 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by OpIv37 View Post
    Well, I don't think we need to find an elite goalie on the open market, just someone younger than Anderson and more consistent than Comrie to share time with Ullmark for a year or two while Levi develops. If we can find that, then we're a playoff team. Not a real Cup contender, but a playoff team.
    That's my point, even "serviceable" goalies don't come available. I bet you can have Binnington tomorrow but would you want him? Who else is even remotely available?

Actually just thought about something I read yesterday that the Canucks might trade Demko. He might be available but I doubt he will be cheap. They are looking to rebuild.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by mightysimi View Post
    That's my point, even "serviceable" goalies don't come available. I bet you can have Binnington tomorrow but would you want him? Who else is even remotely available?

Actually just thought about something I read yesterday that the Canucks might trade Demko. He might be available but I doubt he will be cheap. They are looking to rebuild.
    The new NHL is not the old NHL when it comes to goalies, that's for sure (thinking about 90s teams with great goalies)

The only decent goalie that is cheduled to hit the market this off-season is Tristian Jarry and I don't think Pitt will let him walk. Freddy Andersen maybe?

I shouldnt say Adams neglected the position completely, I forgot he had a trade set up that would have given the Sabres the 7 pick AND Matt Murray for the 16th pick, but Murray said no.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

What’s this new NHL crap… suddenly do youth hockey goalies all blow? I don’t understand the lack of goaltending? What other teams have zero goalies and why? Is the crop of collegiate goals weak? Goalie no longer a glamour position the the entire hockey playing country North of Buffalo?

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

What’s this new NHL crap… suddenly do youth hockey goalies all blow? I don’t understand the lack of goaltending? What other teams have zero goalies and why? Is the crop of collegiate goals weak? Goalie no longer a glamour position the the entire hockey playing country North of Buffalo?
    I don't understand the issue here.

Most goalies don't jump from NCAA to the NHL full time. They play in the AHL a season first.

That's how development works

23. Post thanked by:

OpIv37 (01-26-2023)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I'm not sure what you are complaining about.

It's extremely rare for rookies to jump right to the NHL, regardless of whether they come from the junior leagues or from college. They almost always spend time in the minors first.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

It's extremely rare for rookies to jump right to the NHL, regardless of whether they come from the junior leagues or from college. They almost always spend time in the minors first.
    Some have, and the results have been disastrous

That said, what MIGHT happen, especially if the sabres fall out of the race, is they sign Levi and burn one year off his ELC and guarantee him a few starts down the stretch, and send him to ROCH to start the 23-24 season. Teams have done that to entice college players to sign
    Last edited by JATMtheJATM; 01-26-2023 at 01:01 PM.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I get that but the New NHL without almost every team having great goaltending makes no sense to me.

if there is a shortage of good goaltending in the league then something happened