X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Lexwhat
    • Feb 2005

Re: Beane End of the Season Presser

For decades, the Bengals were the laughingstock of the league (yes, the Bills were right there too), and probably have the worst owner in the NFL (Mike Brown). They have never won a Super Bowl.

Yes, we had some horrible head coaches - but imagine having Marvin Lewis as your head coach for over 15 years... I guess time will tell if we have the white Marvin Lewis as our HC.

After 3 decades the Bengals finally hit on the right players. Good for them. The Bills should focus on their own issues and how to fix them.

Comment

• notacon
      • Aug 2012

Originally posted by Mace View Post
      Well....ah....."Dick Jauron". It starts and ends there. Bad bet.
      Those were the good times.

Joe Collier....1966 to 1968....he was fired two games into the 1968 season (0-2), and replaced by Bills personnel director as interim HC....Harvey....

Harvey Johnson....TWICE first in 1968 (1-10-1) (to replace Joe Collier) and then brought back in 1971 (1-13) after.....

John Rauch (the brilliant coach that wanted to use OJ Simpson as a “decoy” instead of having him run the ball)...1969 (4-10) and 1970 (3-10-1). He was not fired after those two **** season....he resigned on July 20, 1971 (the day before training camp opened) after a “heated discussion" with Wilson because Rauch complained, in public, about Wilson trading Ron McDole and cutting Paul Maguire (without telling Rauch).

Harvey gets his second stint for 1971 season (1-13). “It was speculated that Johnson’s love of thoroughbred horse racing, a passion he shared with owner Ralph Wilson, allowed him to stay on the Bills payroll despite his poor performance in coaching"

Jim Ringo - 1976 - replacing Lou Saban who resigned after 5 games in....guess what....a disagreement with Ralph Wilson. He proceeded to end the 1976 season 0-9. 1977 he “led” the team to a 3-11 record.

Kay Stephenson - 1983 (8-8) 1984 (2-14) Fired after going 0-4 to start 1985 season....replaced by....

Hank Bullough - 1985 & 1986. Named HC in October of 1985 after Kay was fired. Hank went 2-10 after taking over from Stephenson, and 2-7 in 1986 before being fired and replaced by Marv Levy.

All of those slugs (expect Levy) make Dick Jauron look brilliant.

Comment

• YardRat
        Well, lookie here...
        • Dec 2004

I'm not being critical of the move because I like Diggs, but if Beane didn't pull the trigger on the trade he'd have Jefferson on his cheaper rookie deal still. So, he pretty much made that bed himself.
        YardRat Wall of Fame
        #56 DARRYL TALLEY
        #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• sahlensguy
          • Mar 2015

Originally posted by YardRat View Post
          I'm not being critical of the move because I like Diggs, but if Beane didn't pull the trigger on the trade he'd have Jefferson on his cheaper rookie deal still. So, he pretty much made that bed himself.
          The Diggs trade brought legitimacy to this offense which benefited Allen's development greatly. It was the right trade at the time.

Diggs' extension? Now that's another story.

Comment

• BuffaloBlitz83
            We play to win the game!
            • Oct 2009

Are you certain he takes Jefferson as aiyuk and higgins were the next 2 taken

Comment

• YardRat
              Well, lookie here...
              • Dec 2004

Originally posted by sahlensguy View Post
              The Diggs trade brought legitimacy to this offense which benefited Allen's development greatly. It was the right trade at the time.

Diggs' extension? Now that's another story.
              Originally posted by BuffaloBlitz83 View Post
              Are you certain he takes Jefferson as aiyuk and higgins were the next 2 taken
              I'm not criticizing the trade, just pointing out Beane could have a stud receiver with a rookie contract on the roster right now if he had done things differently so he really can't use "yeah, but" as an excuse.
              YardRat Wall of Fame
              #56 DARRYL TALLEY
              #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• Historian
                2020-2023 AFC East Champions!
                • Dec 2002

I think the argument is silly.

I'm not giving back all the wins achieved thanks to Digg's skills, not to mention all the thrilling catches, just because he costs more than the guy from Cinci.

I like the team we have, but Davis has not panned out, so my first pick would be the best WR on the board at 27.

Comment

• Forward_Lateral
                  • Mar 2004

Originally posted by Historian View Post
                  I think the argument is silly.

I'm not giving back all the wins achieved thanks to Digg's skills, not to mention all the thrilling catches, just because he costs more than the guy from Cinci.

I like the team we have, but Davis has not panned out, so my first pick would be the best WR on the board at 27.
                  I agree, except for the draft a WR in the first part.

IF there's one that they can't pass up on, then I will be fine with it. If they just draft one for the sake of drafting one, I won't be.

Comment

• Jeff1220
                    H to the 12:20
                    • Jul 2002

It's too difficult to compare things with hindsight. As for Diggs vs. Jefferson, does a rookie (Jefferson) come in an help Josh's development, or does sugar-high Josh stunt Jefferson's development? As it was, Josh had a vet WR in Diggs to help him and Jefferson had a vet QB in Cousins to help his.

Comment

• BuffaloBlitz83
                      We play to win the game!
                      • Oct 2009

Allen Lazard is a perfect slot wr. If Rodgers moves on... I can see a GB rebuild and not paying a slot wr

Comment

• ghz in pittsburgh
                        • Aug 2004

Originally posted by Jeff1220 View Post
                        It's too difficult to compare things with hindsight. As for Diggs vs. Jefferson, does a rookie (Jefferson) come in an help Josh's development, or does sugar-high Josh stunt Jefferson's development? As it was, Josh had a vet WR in Diggs to help him and Jefferson had a vet QB in Cousins to help his.
                        I've seen it too many times. QB makes WR, not other way around. But there are stud WRs wherever they go, like Randy Moss.

I pointed out that John Brown, Cole Beasley, Diggs all had their best year with Josh. That's enough evidence for me. If the Bills didn't trade for Diggs but got Jefferson instead, I'd imagine Josh would still be where he is today. I'd argue Jefferson would be an even bigger star than he's today. And I firmly believe that is how the Bills will get their next big star WR in Josh's career here.

I don't quite blame Beane on this one because no one, even the Vikings, envisioned Jefferson to be where he is today at the time. There is luck. I hope our luck is not all used up in the draft for Allen.

Comment

• BuffaloBlitz83
                          We play to win the game!
                          • Oct 2009

Originally posted by ghz in pittsburgh View Post
                          I've seen it too many times. QB makes WR, not other way around. But there are stud WRs wherever they go, like Randy Moss.

I pointed out that John Brown, Cole Beasley, Diggs all had their best year with Josh. That's enough evidence for me. If the Bills didn't trade for Diggs but got Jefferson instead, I'd imagine Josh would still be where he is today. I'd argue Jefferson would be an even bigger star than he's today. And I firmly believe that is how the Bills will get their next big star WR in Josh's career here.

I don't quite blame Beane on this one because no one, even the Vikings, envisioned Jefferson to be where he is today at the time. There is luck. I hope our luck is not all used up in the draft for Allen.
                          That is true I didn't think about that. All the receivers improved here

Comment

• Canadian'eh!
                            • Mar 2004

Soooooo. We are going to lose guys, can’t sign high end players and keep the same staff too?

awesome. Glad we peaked in a loss to KC in a divisional game.

Comment

• BuffaloBlitz83
                              We play to win the game!
                              • Oct 2009

Originally posted by Canadian'eh! View Post
                              Soooooo. We are going to lose guys, can’t sign high end players and keep the same staff too?

awesome. Glad we peaked in a loss to KC in a divisional game.
                              Hey At least both of these teams will lose to the Eagles. Great D, Great run game, and bad ass O Line.

Comment

• notacon
                                • Aug 2012

I cannot fault Beane for that trade.

Diggs was (and still is) a known entity. He has not disappointed whatsoever.

Jefferson, like every first round (and just about every draft pick) was NOT a sure thing. We have seen this year after year after year. First round busts are common.

FOUR WR’s were selected before Jefferson...

#12 - Henry Ruggs
                                #15 - Jerry Jeudy
                                #17 - CeeDee Lamb
                                #21 - Jalen Reagor

None of those are better than either Diggs or Jefferson.

Beane made the right move. It transformed the Bills offense, and Josh Allen, from below average to one of the best offenses in the NFL.

Comment

Working...
                                X