Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Beane End of the Season Presser

Thanks
    Thanked 2,397 Times in 1,490 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Beane End of the Season Presser

"Both lines were dominated" is noted against Cinci.

"Burrows is on his rookie deal; Chase is on his rookie deal. We are paying Diggs a hefty number; we are paying Josh a hefty number" is also mentioned.

"We are not going to go all in on one year", "I don't want to be in situation like 100 million over the cap in two years like some teams have to deal with."

I think OBD knows their pushing all-the-chips-to-the-middle years are over. It will be in the mode of drafting well, finding diamonds in low-cost FAs, hoping one of those years you hit one or two blue chips having career years to get them over the top.

This team is NOT going to have talent overwhelming teams like the Chiefs and the Bengals. The more likely scenario is that they peak at the right time like 2021 to get on a run and over those teams. Beane said at the beginning of the presser what we have seen: towards the end of the season, this team was barely finding a way to get by; we were not hitting on any (let alone on all) cylinders for offense and defense.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,305 Times in 3,795 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: Beane End of the Season Presser

Yawn

Registered User Forward_Lateral's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,061 Times in 4,265 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

They've never "pushed all of their chips to the middle".

Thanks
    Thanked 12,385 Times in 7,270 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by ghz in pittsburgh View Post

"Both lines were dominated" is noted against Cinci.

"Burrows is on his rookie deal; Chase is on his rookie deal. We are paying Diggs a hefty number; we are paying Josh a hefty number" is also mentioned.

"We are not going to go all in on one year", "I don't want to be in situation like 100 million over the cap in two years like some teams have to deal with."

I think OBD knows their pushing all-the-chips-to-the-middle years are over. It will be in the mode of drafting well, finding diamonds in low-cost FAs, hoping one of those years you hit one or two blue chips having career years to get them over the top.

This team is NOT going to have talent overwhelming teams like the Chiefs and the Bengals. The more likely scenario is that they peak at the right time like 2021 to get on a run and over those teams. Beane said at the beginning of the presser what we have seen: towards the end of the season, this team was barely finding a way to get by; we were not hitting on any (let alone on all) cylinders for offense and defense.

So Cinci built a better team with less money!

5. Post thanked by:

Mace (01-25-2023),OpIv37 (01-25-2023)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Novacane View Post
    And less time/shots at the draft than Beane.

7. Post thanked by:

Mace (01-25-2023),Novacane (01-25-2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 12,385 Times in 7,270 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Hitting on Josh Allen has covered up a lot of poor drafting. I still give him credit for hitting on a QB that lots of people thought would bust. Burrow was a no brainer for Cinci but after QB they've obviously drafted better. Beane can't rest on Josh anymore.

9. Post thanked by:

kgun12 (01-25-2023),TacklingDummy (01-25-2023),YardRat (01-25-2023)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Hitting on Josh Allen has covered up a lot of poor drafting. I still give him credit for hitting on a QB that lots of people thought would bust. Burrow was a no brainer for Cinci but after QB they've obviously drafted better. Beane can't rest on Josh anymore.
    Not just poor drafting and missing on who he picked, but Beane's overall drafting strategy of not building around Josh has been a failure.

11. Post thanked by:

TacklingDummy (01-25-2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 26,286 Times in 13,719 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I read it pretty much the same way: "They have a better team and more cap space, so don't expect us to be able to catch them."

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by OpIv37 View Post
    I read it pretty much the same way: "They have a better team and more cap space, so don't expect us to be able to catch them."
    NO.

They have 2 franchise players still on rookie contracts. Burrow is going to get ultra paid this offseason or the next. Chase will be right behind him. That's what he's saying.

The only reason they were even in any position to get both of those guys is because they went 2-14 and 4-11-1.

You would have an absolute bird if the Bills got 6 wins in the next 2 seasons.
    Last edited by Forward_Lateral; 01-25-2023 at 12:33 PM.

14. Post thanked by:

Historian (01-25-2023),kgun12 (01-25-2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 26,286 Times in 13,719 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Forward_Lateral View Post
    NO.

They have 2 franchise players still on rookie contracts. Burrow is going to get ultra paid this offseason or the next. Chase will be right behind him. That's what he's saying.

The only reason they were even in any position to get both of those guys is because they went 2-14 and 4-11-1.

You would have an absolute bird if the Bills got 6 wins in the next 2 seasons.

Their 2 franchise players are cheap (at least for now). Our two franchise players are expensive. Translation: at least for now, they have more cap space to put talent around those franchise guys than we do. That's just basic math. And your assumption of my reaction to a hypothetical event has nothing to do with it.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by OpIv37 View Post
    Their 2 franchise players are cheap (at least for now). Our two franchise players are expensive. Translation: at least for now, they have more cap space to put talent around those franchise guys than we do. That's just basic math. And your assumption of my reaction to a hypothetical event has nothing to do with it.
    Of course it's basic math. Beane was pointing out that he doesn't want the Bills to SUCK BAD ENOUGH to get a top pick. He was commenting on how the Bengals were A.) able to rebuild and B.) hit the bullseye twice.

17. Post thanked by:

kgun12 (01-25-2023)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

"I don't want to suck bad enough to have to get Ja'Marr Chase"

Well Beane...you may have come close if you didn't luck out on drafting Josh Allen.

19. Post thanked by:

ghz in pittsburgh (01-25-2023)

We play to win the game! BuffaloBlitz83's Avatar
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by sahlensguy View Post
    "I don't want to suck bad enough to have to get Ja'Marr Chase"

Well Beane...you may have come close if you didn't luck out on drafting Josh Allen.
    Odell

We play to win the game! BuffaloBlitz83's Avatar
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Jordan Addison, WR

Unreachable Douche
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,893 Times in 4,353 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

The Bills remind me of Green Bay with Rodgers. GB was lucky enough to get 1 though.

23. Post thanked by:

Historian (01-25-2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,558 Times in 6,117 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

The Bengals had the 1st and 5th overall picks I sure hope they ****ing hit.

That's to their advantage for now of course.
    28**60**128**133**144**160**163**200**204**248

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

"They (Cinci) had some lean years ... and they got Burrows #1 over all and Chase pretty high ..."

Hindsight is 20-20. And it's true I'm not saying it's all Beane's fault. 2017 to 2018 FA movement, trades, and draft are brilliant for McDermott/Beane. The Bills had one lean year after getting Josh and they got Ed Oliver (what if they had gotten Jeffrey Simmons or Christian Wilkins). Then if they had drafted Jefferson instead of trading for Diggs, they might have a bigger window because you don't have to account for Diggs cap for 14+ to 25 million in the first 5 years.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Bottom line super bowl winners typically have a few HOF performers on their team. The Bills have Josh, maybe a half (Miller in his twilight career). Until they draft one big timer, we might be in this also-run for awhile.

2020-2023 AFC East Champions! Historian's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 28,222 Times in 15,390 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Yea, I mean, come on let's not go off the deep end.

It's still the Bengals, and they're still owned by Mike Brown.

Remember fraidy cat?

Won't be long before he's back.

http://www.mikebrownsucks.com/

28. Post thanked by:

Mace (01-25-2023),notacon (01-25-2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,690 Times in 7,752 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

THAT is what you get from his presser????

Uhhhhhh.....no.

I talked about this subject yesterday, before I read abuot what he said. Seems like Beane and I are thinking the same way.

Here is what I said....

Quote Originally Posted by notacon View Post
    Yeah....they got them (Burrow and Chase that Lexwhat mentioned in this post) because they were worst team in the NFL n 2019....dead last with a dismal 2-14 record, and 4th worst team in the NFL in 2020, with another dismal record of 4-11-1.

We like to bemoan how “terrible” the Bills were during the drought, but they were NOT even close to that bad as Cincy was those two seasons.

In FACT, the last time the Bills had such a dismal multi-year record was 1984 to 1986. 2-14, 2-14 & 4-12.

Of course that fueled their rise to a 4-time AFC Champion with advantageous draft picks.

And today, having high draft picks is even more critical than it was in the 80’s, because of the cap, and virtually dictated rookie contracts depending on draft placement and playoff position. There are NO holdouts of draft picks anymore.

...snip....

It takes more skill to field a perennial contender after the rookie contracts are over, especially for a franchise QB, but is not even close to impossible (no matter that Opi says), and we are about to find out if Beane has that skill.

I suspect he does, and then some

This is what Beane said....

Bills General Manager Brandon Beane says one of the reasons it’s tough to keep pace with the Bengals is that Cincinnati has its best players on inexpensive rookie contracts, while Buffalo does not.

“They right now are on the advantage of a rookie quarterback contract,” Beane said of Joe Burrow. “They had some lean years, and without getting too much into their build, I don’t want to suck bad enough to have to get Ja’Marr Chase. He’s a heck of a talent, I’d love to have him, but you got to go through some lean years to do that. They were able to get Burrow No. 1 and Chase [No. 5] and those guys are on their rookie deals. We’re paying Stefon Diggs a pretty hefty number. We’re paying Josh Allen a pretty hefty number. So there is the constraints of the cap. They have a really good team and they’ve got some good young players. We’re gonna try to get as many players as we can through the draft and through free agency, but again, our cap situation is a little different.”
    No, it’s not a case of "Cinci built a better team with less money”, but more accurately Cincy built a good team because they SUCKED so badly, got extremely high draft pick positions, and now have these stars on NFLPA/NFLCBA imposed below market value for players on rookie contracts.

The Bengals had the #1 overall pick in 2020 (Joe Burrow, 1st pick 1st round, Tee Higgins, 1st pick, 2nd round, Logan Wilson, 1st pick, 3rd round) and the #5 pick in 2021 (Ja’Marr Chase 5th pick 1st round) because they sucked so badly.

The last time the Buffalo Bills had a draft pick in the top 5 (without trading up) was 2011, Marcell Darius, 3rd pick, round #1.

The last time the Buffalo Bills had the #1 overall pick was 1985, Bruce Smith.

The only reason the Bills were able to draft Josh Allen with the #7 pick is that they had to wheel and deal for TWO SEASONS to get into that position.

The NFL is dedicated to lifting up teams that suck, and holding down teams that are good. And the cap makes it very difficult to maintain consistent Super Bowl winning (or even getting there) teams.

Burrow’s cap number is $11.5M for 2023. When they pick up his fifth year option, it will be around only $30M for 2024. Ja'Marr Chase’s cap number for 2023 is only $8M...9.8M for 2024. His fifth year option number will probably be in the mid-teens for 2025.

Burrow AND Chase cap number for 2023....combined....$19.9M

Josh Allen & Diggs cap number for 2023....combined....$59.9M....THREE TIMES MORE!!!

That’s the reality of the NFL today.