Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Beane End of the Season Presser

Thanks
    Thanked 2,397 Times in 1,490 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: Beane End of the Season Presser

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff1220 View Post
    It's too difficult to compare things with hindsight. As for Diggs vs. Jefferson, does a rookie (Jefferson) come in an help Josh's development, or does sugar-high Josh stunt Jefferson's development? As it was, Josh had a vet WR in Diggs to help him and Jefferson had a vet QB in Cousins to help his.
    I've seen it too many times. QB makes WR, not other way around. But there are stud WRs wherever they go, like Randy Moss.

I pointed out that John Brown, Cole Beasley, Diggs all had their best year with Josh. That's enough evidence for me. If the Bills didn't trade for Diggs but got Jefferson instead, I'd imagine Josh would still be where he is today. I'd argue Jefferson would be an even bigger star than he's today. And I firmly believe that is how the Bills will get their next big star WR in Josh's career here.

I don't quite blame Beane on this one because no one, even the Vikings, envisioned Jefferson to be where he is today at the time. There is luck. I hope our luck is not all used up in the draft for Allen.

We play to win the game! BuffaloBlitz83's Avatar
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by ghz in pittsburgh View Post
    I've seen it too many times. QB makes WR, not other way around. But there are stud WRs wherever they go, like Randy Moss.

I pointed out that John Brown, Cole Beasley, Diggs all had their best year with Josh. That's enough evidence for me. If the Bills didn't trade for Diggs but got Jefferson instead, I'd imagine Josh would still be where he is today. I'd argue Jefferson would be an even bigger star than he's today. And I firmly believe that is how the Bills will get their next big star WR in Josh's career here.

I don't quite blame Beane on this one because no one, even the Vikings, envisioned Jefferson to be where he is today at the time. There is luck. I hope our luck is not all used up in the draft for Allen.
    That is true I didn't think about that. All the receivers improved here

Thanks
    Thanked 4,528 Times in 2,691 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Soooooo. We are going to lose guys, can’t sign high end players and keep the same staff too?

awesome. Glad we peaked in a loss to KC in a divisional game.

We play to win the game! BuffaloBlitz83's Avatar
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Canadian'eh! View Post
    Soooooo. We are going to lose guys, can’t sign high end players and keep the same staff too?

awesome. Glad we peaked in a loss to KC in a divisional game.
    Hey At least both of these teams will lose to the Eagles. Great D, Great run game, and bad ass O Line.

Thanks
    Thanked 11,690 Times in 7,752 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by YardRat View Post
    I'm not being critical of the move because I like Diggs, but if Beane didn't pull the trigger on the trade he'd have Jefferson on his cheaper rookie deal still. So, he pretty much made that bed himself.
    I cannot fault Beane for that trade.

Diggs was (and still is) a known entity. He has not disappointed whatsoever.

Jefferson, like every first round (and just about every draft pick) was NOT a sure thing. We have seen this year after year after year. First round busts are common.

FOUR WR’s were selected before Jefferson...

#12 - Henry Ruggs
    #15 - Jerry Jeudy
    #17 - CeeDee Lamb
    #21 - Jalen Reagor

None of those are better than either Diggs or Jefferson.

Beane made the right move. It transformed the Bills offense, and Josh Allen, from below average to one of the best offenses in the NFL.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,397 Times in 1,490 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by notacon View Post
    Beane made the right move.
    That is going too far. I understand his thinking, thus not faulting him. But you can't say it is the right move, because clearly, drafting Jefferson, you would have a cheaper and better WR than Diggs while still have the additional draft picks you gave up in the trade.

If they had done the home work on Jefferson to the level of evaluating Josh and convinced that he can be a now-looking HOF level player, things would be very different. Josh was drafted 7th because not many was buying into what he can become like Beane, McDermott believed.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by ghz in pittsburgh View Post
    That is going too far. I understand his thinking, thus not faulting him. But you can't say it is the right move, because clearly, drafting Jefferson, you would have a cheaper and better WR than Diggs while still have the additional draft picks you gave up in the trade.

If they had done the home work on Jefferson to the level of evaluating Josh and convinced that he can be a now-looking HOF level player, things would be very different. Josh was drafted 7th because not many was buying into what he can become like Beane, McDermott believed.

Hindsight is 20/20.

There was ZERO guarantee that Jefferson would become what he did.

Four WR’s being drafted ahead of him proves that fact.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,305 Times in 3,795 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by notacon View Post
    Hindsight is 20/20.

There was ZERO guarantee that Jefferson would become what he did.

Four WR’s being drafted ahead of him proves that fact.
    Would have been nice to just draft the wr they liked and spent the Diggs' money on a FA. I'll take the 2 for 1 anyday.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by sahlensguy View Post
    Would have been nice to just draft the wr they liked and spent the Diggs' money on a FA. I'll take the 2 for 1 anyday.
    Nope.