• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kgun12
    • Jul 2002

Re: Josh allens footwork gets progressively bad every year

Originally posted by OpIv37 View Post
    Or, maybe Josh and the coaches can pay more attention to his footwork over the course of the season?

Pointing out that a player can do something better doesn't mean someone wants him off the team. FFS.
    How about he should have been selfish and said f**k the season and sat out after he hurt his elbow. Oh course his throwing motion and footwork changed!

Yes, the OC should go, but hell you guys especially you can’t stand winning . Did the season end the way we hoped, no. But the endless attacks on the best quarterback we’ve had since Kelly, a coach that has brought a winning attitude back to this team. Do they need to change some things yes, but how about acknowledging that Allen played hurt and probably shouldn’t have, at the very least he should have not played for 3-4 weeks after the injury.
    Yes there needs to be some things fixed and/or changed, but again the endless attacks but a few on Allen is crazy. I’m waiting for the annual thread to start that we could have had Mahomes!

Will he ever bring us a SB win who knows, but I’ll take my chances
    free agents that want to be hear,
    Last edited by kgun12; 01-27-2023, 10:33 AM.
    Retired Air Traffic Controller
    USAF VETERAN
    DAV

Comment

• Typ0
      honey pie
      • Jul 2002

Originally posted by kgun12 View Post
      How about he should have been selfish and said f**k the season and sat out after he hurt his elbow. Oh course his throwing motion and footwork changed!

Yes, the OC should go, but hell you guys especially you can’t stand winning . Did the season end the way we hoped, no. But the endless attacks on the best quarterback we’ve had since Kelly, a coach that has brought a winning attitude back to this team. Do they need to change some things yes, but how about acknowledging that Allen played hurt and probably shouldn’t have, at the very least he should have not played for 3-4 weeks after the injury.
      Yes there needs to be some things fixed and/or changed, but again the endless attacks but a few on Allen is crazy. I’m waiting for the annual thread to start that we could have had Mahomes!

Will he ever bring us a SB win who knows, but I’ll take my chances
      free agents that want to be hear,
      I disagree. If OP can do this analysis then so can a coach -- which means they don't work the issue. They don't coach up Josh Allen in favor of their Allen or bust attitude.

Do you doubt that is true? Then why does the same behavior continue to happen like it is groundhog day?

McDermott is very slow to adjust. He is narrowminded and loyal to a fault. This team is not going to rise to the top under his leadership until HE changes. He's not changing. It's time to sever and move onto someone who will coach Allen about constraints and not being a haphazard wreck.

Comment

• sahlensguy
        • Mar 2015

In hindsight, I agree with you. At the time, no one would have made that call. In January of 2022, McD had us in the playoffs 4 times in 5 years, with 2 straight division titles and 3 wins in playoff games, after a 17 year playoff drought. And, I remember people questioning Daboll's playcalling, and we had no idea at the time that he'd be a good head coach.

Knowing what we know now, about the Bills choking in the playoffs again and Daboll resurrecting the Giants overnight, I'd go back in time and fire McD in favor of Daboll in a second. In the moment, though, it just wouldn't have made sense.
        Yeah, I think I called for this a year ago without even knowing Daboll would have the year he did. Anyway...Allen's success earlier this year was mostly a carry over from last year and Daboll. Now we're stuck with a defensive HC and the top offensive coach whi is a lunatic new guy. Allen surely won't peak with that leadership.

Comment

• kgun12
          • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Typ0 View Post
          I disagree. If OP can do this analysis then so can a coach -- which means they don't work the issue. They don't coach up Josh Allen in favor of their Allen or bust attitude.

Do you doubt that is true? Then why does the same behavior continue to happen like it is groundhog day?

McDermott is very slow to adjust. He is narrowminded and loyal to a fault. This team is not going to rise to the top under his leadership until HE changes. He's not changing. It's time to sever and move onto someone who will coach Allen about constraints and not being a haphazard wreck.
          Nope everything Op said is correct, but all these threads and posts about his play are over the top, especially a few posters and not names Op. I would blame his footwork and throwing motion on his injury, OC/QB coach and yes Josh. Again, Josh probably shouldn’t have played 3 or 4 games right after the injury. Yes he could throw but at what cost, exactly what we are talking about in this thread. I have seen posts that Josh is even responsible for Davis’s catch percentage drop even though Beasley and Diggs were above league average.

What scares the hell out of me is his confidence. Go back and watch a few plays from the first couple games, then watch them after the injury and especially the last couple game when he was taking those sacks He has the look as Losman, and Johnson at the end, confused, deer in the headlights and unconfident

Hopefully he heals up, gets some good coaching and advice and most importantly, some O-line help!

BTW, does anyone think Josh is okay with his deficiencies?
          USAF VETERAN
          DAV

Comment

• Forward_Lateral
            • Mar 2004

Nobody's whining about his footwork when he's throwing 60 yard dimes off of his back foot, on the run.

Comment

• sahlensguy
              • Mar 2015

Originally posted by Forward_Lateral View Post
              Nobody's whining about his footwork when he's throwing 60 yard dimes off of his back foot, on the run.
              So once a game?

Comment

• Forward_Lateral
                • Mar 2004

Originally posted by sahlensguy View Post
                So once a game?
                He's making throws off of his back foot way more than once a game, you know this.

The point is, nobody complains about his footwork or mechanics when he's making plays. I'd be willing to guess that his injury affected him more than he's said, and was probably a factor in said bad footwork. He mentioned having to change his arm motion to avoid pain, which is kind of un heard of really.

Comment

• sahlensguy
                  • Mar 2015

Originally posted by kgun12 View Post
                  Nope everything Op said is correct, but all these threads and posts about his play are over the top, especially a few posters and not names Op. I would blame his footwork and throwing motion on his injury, OC/QB coach and yes Josh. Again, Josh probably shouldn’t have played 3 or 4 games right after the injury. Yes he could throw but at what cost, exactly what we are talking about in this thread. I have seen posts that Josh is even responsible for Davis’s catch percentage drop even though Beasley and Diggs were above league average.

What scares the hell out of me is his confidence. Go back and watch a few plays from the first couple games, then watch them after the injury and especially the last couple game when he was taking those sacks He has the look as Losman, and Johnson at the end, confused, deer in the headlights and unconfident

Hopefully he heals up, gets some good coaching and advice and most importantly, some O-line help!

BTW, does anyone think Josh is okay with his deficiencies?
                  Josh is not ok.

The kid no one wanted from a places no one cares about to sudden adulation with no coaching support system, sketchy scheme, and a porous and troubled OL.

Yeah his career is in trouble. The faster the rise the faster the fall.
                  Last edited by sahlensguy; 01-27-2023, 03:02 PM.

Comment

• OpIv37
                    Acid Douching Asswipe
                    • Sep 2002

He's making throws off of his back foot way more than once a game, you know this.

The point is, nobody complains about his footwork or mechanics when he's making plays. I'd be willing to guess that his injury affected him more than he's said, and was probably a factor in said bad footwork. He mentioned having to change his arm motion to avoid pain, which is kind of un heard of really.
                    Here's the problem with that thought process: Anyone who has ever thrown a baseball or football knows that the throwing motion uses the whole body, not just the arm. Josh is one of the few people on the planet who can get away with throwing solely with his arm. But, if his footwork is bad, that means his feet and body aren't assisting with the throw, so his arm is working harder.

It's counterintuitive. If his arm is hurting, setting his feet and using a proper throwing motion means it's easier on his arm.
                    MiKiDo Facebook
                    MiKiDo Website

Comment

• Forward_Lateral
                      • Mar 2004

Here's the problem with that thought process: Anyone who has ever thrown a baseball or football knows that the throwing motion uses the whole body, not just the arm. Josh is one of the few people on the planet who can get away with throwing solely with his arm. But, if his footwork is bad, that means his feet and body aren't assisting with the throw, so his arm is working harder.

It's counterintuitive. If his arm is hurting, setting his feet and using a proper throwing motion means it's easier on his arm.
                      Sure, but you can't just change that mid season.

I'm sure he will look at his film this offseason, and make corrections.

To me, it's a combination of a few things. 1.) his injury. It made his footwork flaws stand out even more. He's never had the best footwork, let's be honest it's not just this year.

2.) The protection has been bad. He took a lot of big hits down the stretch, and I think it got him to evacuate the pocket too early on many occasions. I think being under duress so often made him under duress almost all the time. If that makes sense. He felt pressure even during the few times there wasn't any, causing him to rush throws, hence bad footwork, etc.

Is it correctable? Yes. He's shown that he has the unique ability to improve his mechanics, etc. Will his footwork ever be textbook? I highly doubt it.

Comment

• YardRat
                        Well, lookie here...
                        • Dec 2004

Sure, but you can't just change that mid season.

I'm sure he will look at his film this offseason, and make corrections.

To me, it's a combination of a few things. 1.) his injury. It made his footwork flaws stand out even more. He's never had the best footwork, let's be honest it's not just this year.

2.) The protection has been bad. He took a lot of big hits down the stretch, and I think it got him to evacuate the pocket too early on many occasions. I think being under duress so often made him under duress almost all the time. If that makes sense. He felt pressure even during the few times there wasn't any, causing him to rush throws, hence bad footwork, etc.

Is it correctable? Yes. He's shown that he has the unique ability to improve his mechanics, etc. Will his footwork ever be textbook? I highly doubt it.
                        You just pointed out he made a change mid-season to avoid pain.
                        YardRat Wall of Fame
                        #56 DARRYL TALLEY
                        #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• YardRat
                          Well, lookie here...
                          • Dec 2004

Still think his head was a bigger problem than his elbow or the play-calling.
                          YardRat Wall of Fame
                          #56 DARRYL TALLEY
                          #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• sahlensguy
                            • Mar 2015

Originally posted by YardRat View Post
                            Yes

Comment

• sukie
                              Seriously?
                              • Sep 2012

Originally posted by YardRat View Post
                              You are in Camp Dorsey? Play calling was awesome?

Comment

• kgun12
                                • Jul 2002

Wasn’t Josh the hands down favorite for MVP by almost everyone on the board and the national media until around week 9-10? I also think we were the SB Champions until that same point by all the same aforementioned people. Then Josh hurt his elbow and everything change, right ir wrong? Now his career is in b trouble, WOW!
                                USAF VETERAN
                                DAV

Comment

Working...
                                X