Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Josh allens footwork gets progressively bad every year

Thanks
    Thanked 1,862 Times in 1,155 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: Josh allens footwork gets progressively bad every year

Quote Originally Posted by YardRat View Post
    He's not a puppy, he's full grown. He was potty trained his first couple of seasons, when he pisses on the floor now it's his fault.

I'm not saying he shouldn't get help and training from others, but it's up to him to do it. He's been in the league five seasons and has gone through the working on the mechanics from scratch, if they are slipping he should be the first to recognize and the first to try correcting. If he's not playing efficient football and hurting the team in the process, he should be the first to recognize it and the first to correct it.

This is his team. He is the man. It's on him.
    You obviously have never been in charge of people. In my old job following a SOP or directives to the letter are very important along with phraseology. There are set way we had to say big and in a certain order. Every single controller know there are rules and need to be followed to the letter. If they aren’t constantly monitored and corrected these procedures or phraseology we relax, it’s called drift. So it’s up to the supervisor to make on the spot corrections when they see a procedure or phraseology not followed to the letter. The main reason for this is if there is an accident or incident if we aren’t spot on the lawyers we use it against the FAA in court. Everything is recorded and it’s our own worst enemy. If so important that we have to pull random records of controllers and have a listening session with them. The controllers no this, yet still drift.
    Same thing happened when I coached, if we didn’t continuously point out bad habits they would continue do do them. In sone cases the only thing that would suffer is the batting average or ERA, in other cases especially for pitchers injury.
    It’s the reason businesses have supervisors teams have coaches.
    To think he can fix some of these issues by himself is foolish, but then again so is this thread for the most part. Like gas been said before, I don’t remember any of this silly threads last year after the KC game and as this thread points out, he has had these issues forever. Can’t wait for FA so we can read threads about how stupid a signing was of the lack of signings.

Here’s a question for you, do you think Mahomes success is all on him or does Reid have something to do with it?
    Last edited by kgun12; 01-29-2023 at 09:08 AM.
    Retired Air Traffic Controller
    USAF VETERAN
    DAV

Thanks
    Thanked 11,690 Times in 7,752 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Does this thread mean that Cali is abandoning his proclamation earlier this season that Josh Allen is MUCH better than Mahomes, and “it’s not even close”???

Thanks
    Thanked 30,518 Times in 17,411 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by kgun12 View Post
    You obviously have never been in charge of people. In my old job following a SOP or directives to the letter are very important along with phraseology. There are set way we had to say big and in a certain order. Every single controller know there are rules and need to be followed to the letter. If they aren’t constantly monitored and corrected these procedures or phraseology we relax, it’s called drift. So it’s up to the supervisor to make on the spot corrections when they see a procedure or phraseology not followed to the letter. The main reason for this is if there is an accident or incident if we aren’t spot on the lawyers we use it against the FAA in court. Everything is recorded and it’s our own worst enemy. If so important that we have to pull random records of controllers and have a listening session with them. The controllers no this, yet still drift.
    Same thing happened when I coached, if we didn’t continuously point out bad habits they would continue do do them. In sone cases the only thing that would suffer is the batting average or ERA, in other cases especially for pitchers injury.
    It’s the reason businesses have supervisors teams have coaches.
    To think he can fix some of these issues by himself is foolish, but then again so is this thread for the most part. Like gas been said before, I don’t remember any of this silly threads last year after the KC game and as this thread points out, he has had these issues forever. Can’t wait for FA so we can read threads about how stupid a signing was of the lack of signings.

Here’s a question for you, do you think Mahomes success is all on him or does Reid have something to do with it?
    I've been working with people my entire life, once they are trained they are expected to function mostly on their own. If they keep making the same mistakes it's up to them to recognize it, acknowledge it, and correct it.

Of course success is a group endeavor but each individual has their responsibility within the group, which is obviously the same mind set as the team given their mantra of "do your 1/11th".

I don't think you're understanding the point, and I've never been one of those "the team rises and falls with Josh" as we see so often, especially to forego that when things go bad and those who believe it reverse course and try to blame others instead of holding Josh responsible.

Golf swings are probably a better analogy than work because the premise is similar...good mechanics = good results. All golfers at some point will get into a funk or get the yips and they rely on 'coaches' to help them rectify it, but a) it's their responsibility to identify when they are shanking drives or putts and initiate the effort to correct and b) when the game is on the responsibility is squarely on the players shoulders.

Allen needs to identify and do what it takes to improve his mechanics if they are slipping, and when he's on the field he needs to make better decisions. If he isn't, then he isn't doing his 1/11th.
    YardRat Wall of Fame
    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Thanks
    Thanked 10,254 Times in 6,469 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by kgun12 View Post

BTW, does anyone think Josh is okay with his deficiencies?
    I doubt he thinks he has any, what he's done so far has gotten him a huge contract which will make him and his children set for life and he's beloved in the community.

Why bother changing or worry about anything when it has gotten him to this point?

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by notacon View Post
    Does this thread mean that Cali is abandoning his proclamation earlier this season that Josh Allen is MUCH better than Mahomes, and “it’s not even close”???
    I think this past season has shown that Burrow and Mahomes are better than Allen.

Other guys are creeping up on him in stature.

Josh is still in the 3-5 range of NFL QBs currently.

But you can make the case for a guy like Hurts right now being at his level, another season out of him like we just saw and I'd definitely say that Hurts has surpassed him.

6. Post thanked by:

notacon (01-29-2023),The last buffalo fan (01-30-2023)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by YardRat View Post
    I've been working with people my entire life, once they are trained they are expected to function mostly on their own. If they keep making the same mistakes it's up to them to recognize it, acknowledge it, and correct it.

Of course success is a group endeavor but each individual has their responsibility within the group, which is obviously the same mind set as the team given their mantra of "do your 1/11th".

I don't think you're understanding the point, and I've never been one of those "the team rises and falls with Josh" as we see so often, especially to forego that when things go bad and those who believe it reverse course and try to blame others instead of holding Josh responsible.

Golf swings are probably a better analogy than work because the premise is similar...good mechanics = good results. All golfers at some point will get into a funk or get the yips and they rely on 'coaches' to help them rectify it, but a) it's their responsibility to identify when they are shanking drives or putts and initiate the effort to correct and b) when the game is on the responsibility is squarely on the players shoulders.

Allen needs to identify and do what it takes to improve his mechanics if they are slipping, and when he's on the field he needs to make better decisions. If he isn't, then he isn't doing his 1/11th.
    Golfers get more help when they’re in a funk, however golfers work with their coaches all the time to maintain good mechanics , they rarely wait for a yip.
    Here’s my point if no one is pointing out issues or shows you how to correct them all Josh is going to do is continue to do the bad habit. Once identified he will need constant reevaluations, corrections and reassurance that it’s actually working.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,305 Times in 3,795 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Josh resorts to hero ball too much. It's the job of his coaches to set him up for success without too much of it. But they don't, so Josh relies on hero ball mote and more, and fundamentals less and less.

2020-2023 AFC East Champions! Historian's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 28,222 Times in 15,390 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Pink View Post
    I doubt he thinks he has any, what he's done so far has gotten him a huge contract which will make him and his children set for life and he's beloved in the community.

Why bother changing or worry about anything when it has gotten him to this point?
    You cannot discount the injury to the throwing elbow.

Allen said it himself....He had to change his mechanics to throw the ball downfield.

Now that does not discount the fact that he passes up on the short stuff in favor of deep routes, but you have to wonder who's responsible for that.

Allen? Dorsey? McDermott?

I don't think we will ever know.

10. Post thanked by:

The last buffalo fan (01-30-2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,305 Times in 3,795 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Historian View Post

Allen said it himself....He had to change his mechanics to throw the ball downfield.

Now that does not discount the fact that he passes up on the short stuff in favor of deep routes, but you have to wonder who's responsible for that.

Josh is gifted with an incredible skillset but with tendencies that aren't always conducive to winning football. It is the job of the coaches to harness that talent and make Allen flourish in team football.

It's a shared responsibility.

12. Post thanked by:

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Historian View Post

A combination of all three.

It's what they live and die with. During the regular season against lesser opponents it works and works frequently. Come playoffs it's a different animal.

Unfortunately we're built to be a regular season powerhouse but we're not built to be strong in the postseason, we're a flawed team that Josh Allen does a hell of a job covering up for. But you can't rely on scoring 30+ come playoff football every game.

14. Post thanked by:

Historian (01-31-2023),The last buffalo fan (01-30-2023)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Pink View Post
    A combination of all three.

It's what they live and die with. During the regular season against lesser opponents it works and works frequently. Come playoffs it's a different animal.

Unfortunately we're built to be a regular season powerhouse but we're not built to be strong in the postseason, we're a flawed team that Josh Allen does a hell of a job covering up for. But you can't rely on scoring 30+ come playoff football every game.
    Did anyone watch Mahomes mechanics yesterday, horrible.

16. Post thanked by: