Thread: Bill Parcells on The Bills

We play to win the game! BuffaloBlitz83's Avatar
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Bill Parcells on The Bills

“I love their team,” Parcells wrote on The 33rd Team. “I think they need a lot of work on defense. However they, conceptually, need a different style of running game and maybe even different personnel in their running game if they’re going to improve. They need to improve their offensive line as well. I think Tampa Bay and Buffalo were similar teams. Each was a one-man show. Buffalo has a great receiver in Stefon Diggs. Tampa has a great receiver in Mike Evans. But it was too much on Brady, and it was too much on Josh Allen. You just can’t play solitaire in the NFL and expect to win.”

2. Post thanked by:

helmetguy (01-27-2023),kgun12 (01-27-2023),Mace (01-27-2023),Mad Bomber (01-29-2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,528 Times in 2,691 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: Bill Parcells on The Bills

If he thought Mike Evans was a good WR this year, he didn’t watch any football. Godwin was far better.

Unreachable Douche
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,897 Times in 4,357 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Josh Allen and the Scrubs.

Haha...yeah you think so ? Mace's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,490 Times in 9,187 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I'd probably hire the 81 year old Parcells as a consultant who could tell people what to do and forgive him.

6. Post thanked by:

kgun12 (01-27-2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,339 Times in 912 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by BuffaloBlitz83 View Post
    “I love their team,” Parcells wrote on The 33rd Team. “I think they need a lot of work on defense. However they, conceptually, need a different style of running game and maybe even different personnel in their running game if they’re going to improve. They need to improve their offensive line as well. I think Tampa Bay and Buffalo were similar teams. Each was a one-man show. Buffalo has a great receiver in Stefon Diggs. Tampa has a great receiver in Mike Evans. But it was too much on Brady, and it was too much on Josh Allen. You just can’t play solitaire in the NFL and expect to win.”
    Hey would you lookie there…a HOF, Super Bowl winning coach agrees pretty much word for word with what many of us “armchair no nothing QBs” have been pounding for a looooong time.

I hope “the process” catches on soon.

8. Post thanked by:

Novacane (01-28-2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,948 Times in 1,276 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

We need to add more running plays. We ran essentially 2 formations to run the ball, and i believe every run play was a RPO
    Not here to be right, just here to have interesting discussions about my impulsive opinions

Thanks
    Thanked 2,401 Times in 1,493 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

This has been going on for a few years now. We hear everyone saying the same thing. The Bills offense starts and ends with Josh Allen. I guess Daboll started by bringing the HOF Tom Brady playbook to Josh Allen. Note I said HOF Tom Brady, not the pre-HOF Tom Brady playbook. For those of us watched the entire career of Tom Brady, you know there is a difference.

Even on the passing play, did you notice how many plays Burrows and Mahomes throw behind the scrimmage (easy ones) and let their players make yards? Most of Allen's passes are sitting in the pocket/move defnders with eye/down the field requiring a strong arm. I fully get it when those former coaches, QBs saying the Bills relying on Allen so much to be at the top of his game week in and week out. Like Cosell said in this video, expecting Allen to play at the last year's playoff level all the time is unrealistic.

There should be big conversation at OBD this offseason. Do you want it continue to be Allen centric, "just make less turnover" as Tasker called (basically pushing Josh to play at a high level consistently), or we make concerted effort from play design to make it less Allen centric. It can ruff some feathers, chiefly Josh Allen himself. But it's time to think about this seriously.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,948 Times in 1,276 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by ghz in pittsburgh View Post

This has been going on for a few years now. We hear everyone saying the same thing. The Bills offense starts and ends with Josh Allen. I guess Daboll started by bringing the HOF Tom Brady playbook to Josh Allen. Note I said HOF Tom Brady, not the pre-HOF Tom Brady playbook. For those of us watched the entire career of Tom Brady, you know there is a difference.

Even on the passing play, did you notice how many plays Burrows and Mahomes throw behind the scrimmage (easy ones) and let their players make yards? Most of Allen's passes are sitting in the pocket/move defnders with eye/down the field requiring a strong arm. I fully get it when those former coaches, QBs saying the Bills relying on Allen so much to be at the top of his game week in and week out. Like Cosell said in this video, expecting Allen to play at the last year's playoff level all the time is unrealistic.

There should be big conversation at OBD this offseason. Do you want it continue to be Allen centric, "just make less turnover" as Tasker called (basically pushing Josh to play at a high level consistently), or we make concerted effort from play design to make it less Allen centric. It can ruff some feathers, chiefly Josh Allen himself. But it's time to think about this seriously.

One thing you see from Cinci, KC, Philly, and SF. They always scheme up 4-5 plays a game that either use route combos to get a receiver wide open, or they use routes to force the defense back while using a TE/RB to chip and release where they become wide open underneath

You also see a nuanced screen game that theyve mastered. The bills offense runs with Allen needing to have perfect timing with his receivers, which relies on the receivers consistently winning routes every play which isn't feasible.

When one of our receivers gets a lot of space, its usually them running a great route, the defense getting confused in their own scheme, or allen running around freeing someone up

When you watch the other teams, they use picks, route combos, chip and release to get their receivers open. Its one reason why kelce is so successful. Andy reid opens up the middle of the field, Kelce acts as a blocker sometimes with play action, then he finds a zone and sits

SF uses a lot of motions, different formations, extensive RB usage, and creates isolated routes to get their TE and receivers open

Philly uses an advanced running game and creative RPOs with hurts to free their receivers

Cinci uses Chases deep ball speed, Higgins size, and specific route combinations to force defenders deep which frees up underneath players

The bills on the other hand seem to consistently have multiple receivers in the same space clustering their side of the field. They use 3 run plays so defenders have no respect for it. This allows the CBs to just have to win their matchup with over the top and underneath help, which shrinks the windows allen has to throw into

We use no route combinations, no picks, no screens. We allow the defense to get extremely comfortable. This is why if allens not on fire, its hard to win. Think back to the rams game. What was it? Allen and diggs having perfect chemistry, toss plays that made the defense horizontal, which opened up the middle of the field, then allen being a monster on the run. We had a good strategy because it took donald out of the game, force linebackers to have to guess, which then opened up passing lanes. It still was very allen reliant, but it was a good strategy that we abandoned during the course of the season

12. Post thanked by:

Mad Bomber (01-29-2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,305 Times in 3,795 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by ghz in pittsburgh View Post

I just don't believe that McD is the right mastermind for the job.

Registered User Forward_Lateral's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,061 Times in 4,265 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Get rid of the stupid run option game and have a traditional running game. For the love of God. I’ve been screaming this for years. It sucks and isn’t working
    Last edited by Forward_Lateral; 01-28-2023 at 09:08 AM.

15. Post thanked by:

Novacane (01-28-2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,153 Times in 5,890 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I wanna see the field attacked with routes between the numbers. Enough with the side line routes all the time.

17. Post thanked by:

kgun12 (01-28-2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,565 Times in 6,124 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Forward_Lateral View Post
    Get rid of the stupid run option game and have a traditional running game. For the love of God. I’ve been screaming this for years. It sucks and isn’t working
    28**60**128**133**144**160**163**200**204**248