Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Where do we go FA or Draft

Haha...yeah you think so ? Mace's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,468 Times in 9,174 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: Where do we go FA or Draft

I honestly thinks Edmunds walks, for the benefit of Edmunds, to a team where he doesn't have to do as much as this junk scheme expects him to do, but will use him as he can be used which doesn't mean trying to read everything and everyone on the field all at once every play, which he frankly can't do, and no one ever will in the modern NFL. He was not set up to succeed, and didn't as a playmaker, because he can't and no one will, and he probably wants to get out of here by now.

2. Post thanked by:

kgun12 (02-02-2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,814 Times in 3,476 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by notacon View Post
    “Stats” don’t win games or form a good defense. Extremely good players like Tremaine Edmunds DO. They do not grow on trees and are not cheap.

The “tackles” stat (the way some confused “fans” try to use it, as compared to other teams) is the most useless and irrelevant stat for defensive players. It is totally irrelvent how many tackles any Bills players have as compared to other teams’s players.

ALL that matters is how many tackles a Bills player has compared to other Bills players.

And Edmunds has led the team in tackles (avg per game....he had less tackles one season (2020, Poyer 124 for 16 games, Edmunds 119 in 15 games, because he played one less games) every single year in his career.

In 2022, he led the team in tackles over the #2 (Milano) despite playing two fewer games.

THAT is what matters. An no amount of cherry picking irrelevant stats will change that fact....the stat that really matters.
    Of course comparing tackle numbers across the league is irrelevant. What’s not irrelevant is that most MLBs lead their teams in tackles to begin with so congrats, Edmunds is average. He does not do one (1) thing on the field athletically that is elite. He doesn’t sack the QB, he doesn’t pick the ball off, and he isn’t a run stopper. Please explain how we can’t fill his shoes for MUCH less money? He’s walking and if he’s lucky he’ll get to play for a defense that will utilize his talents better than just standing out in space like someone said, a scarecrow. Perfect analogy.

4. Post thanked by:

sukie (02-03-2023)

Retired - On Several Levels Night Train's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,240 Times in 7,618 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

If anyone happened to watch the Cotton Bowl, Tulane upset USC.

RB Tyjae Spears had 17 carries for 205 yards and 4 TD's. He scored 21 TD's this season to lead college football. 5-10 205 and hits full flight after just a couple steps.

Watching him in the Senior Bowl practices and he really stands out. Great moves and speed. (4.40) . Watch the game Saturday.

https://draftwire.usatoday.com/lists...spears-tulane/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rmgnCIclV9U
    Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Thanks
    Thanked 7,521 Times in 6,083 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

https://www.nfl.com/news/eric-edholm...lls-eagles-add

Eric Edholm 2023 NFL mock draft 1.0: Four QBs selected in top 10; Bills, Eagles add running back

28 **60 **128 **133 **144 **160
    163 **189 **200 **204 **248

Thanks
    Thanked 1,812 Times in 1,127 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Woodman View Post
    https://www.nfl.com/news/eric-edholm...lls-eagles-add

Eric Edholm 2023 NFL mock draft 1.0: Four QBs selected in top 10; Bills, Eagles add running back
    HELL NO!!!
    Retired Air Traffic Controller
    USAF VETERAN
    DAV

Thanks
    Thanked 11,632 Times in 7,703 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by jamze132 View Post
    Of course comparing tackle numbers across the league is irrelevant. What’s not irrelevant is that most MLBs lead their teams in tackles to begin with so congrats, Edmunds is average. He does not do one (1) thing on the field athletically that is elite. He doesn’t sack the QB, he doesn’t pick the ball off, and he isn’t a run stopper. Please explain how we can’t fill his shoes for MUCH less money? He’s walking and if he’s lucky he’ll get to play for a defense that will utilize his talents better than just standing out in space like someone said, a scarecrow. Perfect analogy.
    Nonsense.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,814 Times in 3,476 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Nonsense.
    It’s “nonsense” because you can’t refute the fact that he’s not an elite MLB…got it.

I 100% guarantee you that if he had more of an impact in turnovers and negative plays he’d stay in Buffalo as one of the highest paid LBs in the league.

Thanks
    Thanked 11,438 Times in 7,062 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Except he IS a player “OC’s plan for”. And QB’s are affected by his presence.
    They actually run at him knowing he can be blocked easily by a single blocker.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,084 Times in 5,849 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Nonsense.
    So Edmunds does pick off passes, sacks the QB, and is awesome at run stuffing. Got it.

Thanks
    Thanked 11,632 Times in 7,703 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by justasportsfan View Post
    They actually run at him knowing he can be blocked easily by a single blocker.
    Nonsense.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by sukie View Post
    So Edmunds does pick off passes, sacks the QB, and is awesome at run stuffing. Got it.
    I'll make a wish now.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Edmunds best year stat wise was his rookie year. Not by much but it was his best year. So why can’t we bring in a rookie that can play as well as Edmunds did his rookie year?

15. Post thanked by:

jamze132 (02-07-2023),Mace (02-05-2023),YardRat (02-05-2023)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by kgun12 View Post
    Edmunds best year stat wise was his rookie year. Not by much but it was his best year. So why can’t we bring in a rookie that can play as well as Edmunds did his rookie year?
    Doesn't look like there is one in this draft. There are hitters against the run with limited range uncertain in coverage, and lighter rangers who get stuck on linemen in the run game. Either would be workable if we had a dc who could scheme for his players, but we don't.

I always mention too, in Edmunds 1st year, we used 3 linebackers more, Milano played the other side and we used Lorenzo Alexander.

17. Post thanked by:

kgun12 (02-05-2023),YardRat (02-05-2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,084 Times in 5,849 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

What about a hybrid LB safety type?

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by sukie View Post
    What about a hybrid LB safety type?
    Some of those, but we'd still be short an mlb because they don't fit for size and will have the same Edmunds problem against the run getting tangled up with blockers. The tankier ones don't have the coverage range for scheme, and you're sacrificing a higher pick for the best of them that you could use on OL. Bills only have 6 picks atm, and two of them are 5th round, all of them late in the round besides the 1st 5th, so we'd have to trade at least 2 to move up marginally.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Mace View Post
    Doesn't look like there is one in this draft. There are hitters against the run with limited range uncertain in coverage, and lighter rangers who get stuck on linemen in the run game. Either would be workable if we had a dc who could scheme for his players, but we don't.

I always mention too, in Edmunds 1st year, we used 3 linebackers more, Milano played the other side and we used Lorenzo Alexander.
    We don’t have a run stopper in Edmunds so if they have any cover skills we save 17 million!

21. Post thanked by:

Mace (02-06-2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,564 Times in 2,153 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Buffalo only has two free agents that I consider to be difference makers: Tremaine Edmunds and Jordan Poyer. I expect they will keep one and let the other walk. Between the two, I think it makes far more sense to keep the 24 year old Edmunds and let the 31 year old Poyer walk. But then maybe I'm biased against aging players because I'm so young myself.
    I've made up my mind. Don't confuse me with the facts.

I'm the most reasonable poster here. If you don't agree, I'll be forced to have a hissy fit.

23. Post thanked by:

Mace (02-06-2023),notacon (02-07-2023)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by TigerJ View Post
    Buffalo only has two free agents that I consider to be difference makers: Tremaine Edmunds and Jordan Poyer. I expect they will keep one and let the other walk. Between the two, I think it makes far more sense to keep the 24 year old Edmunds and let the 31 year old Poyer walk. But then maybe I'm biased against aging players because I'm so young myself.
    Agree if you keep 1 it must be Edmunds at this point.

In fact unless Poyer's wife has a change of heart he's gone.

Thanks
    Thanked 26,210 Times in 13,678 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by TigerJ View Post
    There's a good chance we lose both. The cap situation is not good.

I think Poyer's gone. I hate to see it because he's still an excellent player, but it just doesn't make sense to give big money to a 32 y/o coming off multiple injuries.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by kgun12 View Post
    We don’t have a run stopper in Edmunds so if they have any cover skills we save 17 million!
    Heh, true.

I mean there are solutions we just don't appear capable of.

- get the coverage guy and adjust the scheme
    - get the hitter and adjust the coverages

Teams have succeeded with wee fast lb's, by swarming the ball and gang tackling. That's a hallmark of Tampa-2 coverage anyway. Teams have succeeded with a hitter in the middle, who can also rush and cover with a more limited range by adjusting the zones. But we don't move people around and adapt to anything. They used Miller as a semi wildcard, he's got to rotate snaps anyway, get someone else who can be a wildcard too that he can rotate with.

Doesn't seem they think like that though. They basically took a Tampa-2 defense and neutered it into a soft prevent defense scheme, figuring well, just keep stuffing better players into it.

They're going to run short next year, imho it's inevitable. Grab an LB or safety early in the draft you aren't going to get the future OL to take care of Allen, and they don't want to play rookies at critical positions anyway.

Dunno how this ends up, but it doesn't look promising to me atm.

27. Post thanked by:

YardRat (02-06-2023)