• Mar 2013

Re: kgun's "Where do we go?"....Safety

Originally posted by YardRat View Post
    Re-sign Poyer?
    Rookie draft pick?
    Free agent?
    Trade?
    It's a real problem.

I'd prefer to resign Poyer, don't know we can afford to.
    -can't see them starting a rookie at a critical position in their "scheme".
    -a genuinely capable FA will cost a lot, and I don't know who it is anyway
    -not sure we have anyone to trade, and can't afford to send draft picks because we madly need to use them

Find a way to re-sign Poyer for a bit is my hope. Best bandaid.
    Last edited by Mace; 02-07-2023, 05:33 PM.

Comment

• Typ0
      honey pie
      • Jul 2002

Guess I have seen some things that have given me the impression that Poyer and The Bills numbers are quite a bit different and he was going to see what FA would bring him. Letting him walk to overpay another FA doesn't even make sense! Mace is right it's too critical a position in their "scheme" that no one can seem to run well consistently already. McDermott doesn't like to play rookies either. Not a good situation.

Comment

• Woodman
        Legendary Zoner
        • Apr 2014

I'd prefer Poyer .... what does his wife want exactly?

Gotta draft a replacement anyways.

“It breaks your heart when someone leaves and you don’t know why.”

"It may be raining but there's a rainbow above you"

Former President Donald Trump early Thursday touted the results of a new NPR/PBSNewsHour/Marist poll showing him ahead of President Joe Biden by 8 percentage points among independents.

Comment

• ParanoidAndroid
          My battery is low and it's getting dark.
          • Apr 2004

If Hyde is back at 100%, we can start a rookie but it would have to be high end, one would think.

I really think this is going to be a year where we take a step back in order to make a leap forward in 2024.

We're going to have to rely on draft picks and bargain FA in order to shave some cap because this season has revealed some gaping holes on both sides of the ball that we thought were filled.

Priority #1 has to be to keep JA upright.

The O-line was not good and needs up to 3 new starters to replace Saffold, Brown and possibly Morse.

We need legit #2 and slot receivers.

We need an all-purpose RB to make our run game less predictable and more explosive.

We need a new 3-tech DL because Oliver ain't the guy.

Comment

• Mace
            Haha...yeah you think so ?
            • Mar 2013

Originally posted by ParanoidAndroid View Post
            If Hyde is back at 100%, we can start a rookie but it would have to be high end, one would think.

I really think this is going to be a year where we take a step back in order to make a leap forward in 2024.

We're going to have to rely on draft picks and bargain FA in order to shave some cap because this season has revealed some gaping holes on both sides of the ball that we thought were filled.

Priority #1 has to be to keep JA upright.

The O-line was not good and needs up to 3 new starters to replace Saffold, Brown and possibly Morse.

We need legit #2 and slot receivers.

We need an all-purpose RB to make our run game less predictable and more explosive.

We need a new 3-tech DL because Oliver ain't the guy.
            We "can" do things we don't do. They won't start a rookie there, take that off the table.

Priority number 1 was taking care of Allen this year, Beane said so, you can't figure they'll do better with less draft picks because they cringe at starting rookies, and you can't figure they have so much money for FA, and if they do they might hire another Saffold.

Poyer shoud be the least of their problems atm, that's a crucial position to what they at least think they're doing and it's their bad they let it come to this with so many other looming problems that should have been inherent to the process.

Just looks bad to me.

Comment

• ParanoidAndroid
              My battery is low and it's getting dark.
              • Apr 2004

They put a lot of eggs into the 2022 basket and almost all of them broke before Easter.

Bad luck. Like, really bad.

They may have to do things they don't like to do in order to quickly stop the bleeding.

Comment

• Ed
                • Sep 2002

Poyer is gone. I think he's made it pretty clear he won't be back and is looking for top dollar.

I'm all in on moving Christian Benford to safety. I think he can lock down the starting role and provide great low cost value for the next few seasons.

I'd also draft a prospect in the mid to later rounds to replace Jaquan Johnson. And add a cheap vet like Marlowe for depth/experience.

Comment

• ghz in pittsburgh
                  • Aug 2004

Didn't Beane say Benford is goig to play safety next year and they had the thought of him being a safety at some point in the draft?

At this point, I don't see Benford has a lot of leverage to say no (believe me, any CB having starting potential will say no to switch to safety). He might be quite capable while a 'rookie" at safety but not a rookie in NFL next year.

With Bills cap situation moving forward, this is kind of the scenarios they have to live with. With a few positions like that pan out, you have a strong superbowl contending season (see the Chiefs this year). Otherwise, see the 2022 Bills.

Comment

• TacklingDummy
                    Unreachable Douche
                    • Jul 2002

Time to concentrate on protecting and giving Allen weapons.

I couldn’t careless who plays saftey.

Comment

• Woodman
                      Legendary Zoner
                      • Apr 2014

Weapons and a dominant offensive line.

“It breaks your heart when someone leaves and you don’t know why.”

"It may be raining but there's a rainbow above you"

Former President Donald Trump early Thursday touted the results of a new NPR/PBSNewsHour/Marist poll showing him ahead of President Joe Biden by 8 percentage points among independents.

Comment

• Night Train
                        Retired - On Several Levels
                        • Jul 2005

Every change to the roster is a so called problem.

I would like to see the actual off-season start and advance some before playing taps on this team. I get many are still hurting after the Cinci game and refuse to be anything but angry and bitter.

I can't even start to look at them seriously until camp. The changes will be many.
                        Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• sukie
                          Seriously?
                          • Sep 2012

It’s the changes we are looking for. That is the point.

there are safeties in the draft. Most projected late day 2 early 3… draft 1

Poyer and edmunds and Hyde contract money can be better put to use.

Comment

• Jeff1220
                            H to the 12:20
                            • Jul 2002

Poyer and Hyde were originally signed to the Bills as starters, but were not well-known or high priced. They were two foundational bargain free agents. Hopefully Poyer's replacement could be a similar diamond in the rough.

Comment

• Jeff1220
                              H to the 12:20
                              • Jul 2002

I keep seeing this argument that McBean "won't start rookies" which is far from true. They won't start rookies when there is someone they trust more that can play that position. They've started Edmunds, Tre White, Milano, Elam, Benford, Spencer Brown, Greg Rousseau, and probably others. Many other rookies (Gabe Davis for example) saw significant time to contribute in their first seasons.

Comment

Working...
                              X