Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Draft 2023 Buffalo Bills

Thanks
    Thanked 1,877 Times in 1,164 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: Draft 2023 Buffalo Bills

Quote Originally Posted by YardRat View Post
    Beane has always signed enough free agents to give him flexibility in the draft, we'll see if he can do it again this year.
    The problem this year is he’s up against the cap more than ever before.
    Retired Air Traffic Controller
    USAF VETERAN
    DAV

2. Post thanked by:

YardRat (02-16-2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,564 Times in 6,123 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by kgun12 View Post
    The problem this year is he’s up against the cap more than ever before.
    Very true .... one of the 1st moves might be?
    28**60**128**133**144**160**163**200**204**248

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Woodman View Post
    Very true .... one of the 1st moves might be?
    I might look at tradable commodities maybe like Oliver, Dawkins, and/or Hines and get their salaries off the books while collecting more draft picks. I look at Edmunds numbers in all five years, they are close, I think he’s replaceable. That 17-20 million could go a LONG way fixing our O-line.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I might look at tradable commodities maybe like Oliver, Dawkins, and/or Hines and get their salaries off the books while collecting more draft picks. I look at Edmunds numbers in all five years, they are close, I think he’s replaceable. That 17-20 million could go a LONG way fixing our O-line.
    A possible route we could take.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,932 Times in 3,488 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I don't think you can let Edmunds walk and get nothing in return. You either sign him long term which I think makes sense given his age and the fact that he continues to improve or if you feel the numbers won't work you franchise him and make a trade. Once a franchise player is traded that tag money goes off our cap. With only 6 draft picks opening up another hole on the team is hard to justify unless you can find a cheaper replacement.

Not the same situation because Ed Oliver still has a year to go but I would see what the market might be for him. He's a good player but I think I'd be looking to get bigger at DT. He has a 10m cap hit.

A lot of decisions for Mr. Beane.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Cody View Post
    I don't think you can let Edmunds walk and get nothing in return. You either sign him long term which I think makes sense given his age and the fact that he continues to improve or if you feel the numbers won't work you franchise him and make a trade. Once a franchise player is traded that tag money goes off our cap. With only 6 draft picks opening up another hole on the team is hard to justify unless you can find a cheaper replacement.

Not the same situation because Ed Oliver still has a year to go but I would see what the market might be for him. He's a good player but I think I'd be looking to get bigger at DT. He has a 10m cap hit.

I think it’s a good idea the only problem I see is if we don’t get the right return for Edmunds it’s a huge cap hit.

Thanks
    Thanked 10,254 Times in 6,469 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Staying pat seems to be the right move, although a trade down a few spots wouldn't be awful either if we can pick up a mid round pick out or a future 1 or 2 out of the deal.

Trading up, I would say, is probably not something they're even considering with where the salary cap situation is at.

9. Post thanked by:

Mace (03-21-2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 30,528 Times in 17,421 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Franchise tag might be the way to go, but then you are committing to $20,926,000 to cap space if Edmunds signs it and Beane can't find a trade partner. Smart, but very risky.
    YardRat Wall of Fame
    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Franchise tag might be the way to go, but then you are committing to $20,926,000 to cap space if Edmunds signs it and Beane can't find a trade partner. Smart, but very risky.
    I think I read that somewhere before.
    Last edited by kgun12; 02-16-2023 at 06:54 PM.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Pink View Post
    Staying pat seems to be the right move, although a trade down a few spots wouldn't be awful either if we can pick up a mid round pick out or a future 1 or 2 out of the deal.

Trading up, I would say, is probably not something they're even considering with where the salary cap situation is at.
    Pretty much where I'm at.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I'm pretty sure they'd get the temperature for it before pulling that trigger .... would love two firsts as compensation.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Time to get to work earnestly indeed.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I'm pretty sure they'd get the temperature for it before pulling that trigger .... would love two firsts as compensation.
    You can't get greedy. Only an elite QB might command 2 1sts. Lamar Jackson for example. The team that trades for him also has to pay him, that reduces the compensation. I'm thinking a 2nd this year and a 3rd next.

16. Post thanked by:

YardRat (02-18-2023)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I think it’s a good idea the only problem I see is if we don’t get the right return for Edmunds it’s a huge cap hit.
    You can't go into it blind. Beane has a phone.

18. Post thanked by:

kgun12 (02-17-2023)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

You can't go into it blind. Beane has a phone.
    Sure I agree, but as far as what you said about letting him go and not getting anything for him. Maybe they’ve tried? The Steelers have done this forever, a player gets too costly he’s gone. To me Edmunds production doesn’t equate to a 20 million dollar contract. Like I’ve said his rookie numbers aren’t much different than this years. He was like 19 when we drafted him? I think we can get the same production from another rookie that older and physically as mature as Edmunds is right now.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

You can't get greedy. Only an elite QB might command 2 1sts. Lamar Jackson for example. The team that trades for him also has to pay him, that reduces the compensation. I'm thinking a 2nd this year and a 3rd next.

If a player is given a non-exclusive franchise tag, the team signing him must send two first-round picks to the team that tagged the player. However, there is no compensation for the original team with the transition tag if they refuse to match the offer sheet.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Sure I agree, but as far as what you said about letting him go and not getting anything for him. Maybe they’ve tried? The Steelers have done this forever, a player gets too costly he’s gone. To me Edmunds production doesn’t equate to a 20 million dollar contract. Like I’ve said his rookie numbers aren’t much different than this years. He was like 19 when we drafted him? I think we can get the same production from another rookie that older and physically as mature as Edmunds is right now.
    I guess I'm quite a bit higher on Edmunds than you which is ok.

I don't think the Bills have had any reason at all up to now to shop Edmunds. They used a lot of draft capital to get him and he's developed rather nicely. Not really a surprise that it took some time or that his progress was not linear because as you say he was young when they took him.

I think if the cap was not a consideration the Bills would opt to keep him. But it is. So he's part of a large picture Beane has to sort through, not easy. Especially with a team that is one of the top 5 teams in the league. Banking on rookies is a risk but we're going to have to do it in some cases. Whether it's with Edmunds remains to be seen. I can tell you if the plan ends up being to try to draft his replacement Beane will need a couple Ambien's in his coffee come draft day.

22. Post thanked by:

kgun12 (02-17-2023)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

If a player is given a non-exclusive franchise tag, the team signing him must send two first-round picks to the team that tagged the player. However, there is no compensation for the original team with the transition tag if they refuse to match the offer sheet.
    You understand teams can agree on less than 2 1sts for a franchised player right? In theory the Bills could franchise him and then trade him for a 7th, not that we would.

24. Post thanked by:

kgun12 (02-17-2023)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Thinking back a long ways I think we franchised Peerless Price and then traded him for 1 1st to the Falcons

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

You understand teams can agree on less than 2 1sts for a franchised player right? In theory the Bills could franchise him and then trade him for a 7th, not that we would.

No I did not what does non-exclusive mean then?

I was stuck on the two first rounders part of it.

How bad does anybody want him I guess becomes the question.

I would expect it to be pretty high.