• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Woodman
    Legendary Zoner
    • Apr 2014

Re: Draft 2023 Buffalo Bills

Originally posted by YardRat View Post
    Franchise tag might be the way to go, but then you are committing to $20,926,000 to cap space if Edmunds signs it and Beane can't find a trade partner. Smart, but very risky.
    I'm pretty sure they'd get the temperature for it before pulling that trigger .... would love two firsts as compensation.

“It breaks your heart when someone leaves and you don’t know why.”

"It may be raining but there's a rainbow above you"

Former President Donald Trump early Thursday touted the results of a new NPR/PBSNewsHour/Marist poll showing him ahead of President Joe Biden by 8 percentage points among independents.

Comment

• Woodman
      Legendary Zoner
      • Apr 2014

Originally posted by Bill Cody View Post
      I don't think you can let Edmunds walk and get nothing in return. You either sign him long term which I think makes sense given his age and the fact that he continues to improve or if you feel the numbers won't work you franchise him and make a trade. Once a franchise player is traded that tag money goes off our cap. With only 6 draft picks opening up another hole on the team is hard to justify unless you can find a cheaper replacement.

Not the same situation because Ed Oliver still has a year to go but I would see what the market might be for him. He's a good player but I think I'd be looking to get bigger at DT. He has a 10m cap hit.

A lot of decisions for Mr. Beane.

Time to get to work earnestly indeed.

Former President Donald Trump early Thursday touted the results of a new NPR/PBSNewsHour/Marist poll showing him ahead of President Joe Biden by 8 percentage points among independents.

Comment

• Bill Cody
        • Sep 2004

Originally posted by Woodman View Post
        I'm pretty sure they'd get the temperature for it before pulling that trigger .... would love two firsts as compensation.
        You can't get greedy. Only an elite QB might command 2 1sts. Lamar Jackson for example. The team that trades for him also has to pay him, that reduces the compensation. I'm thinking a 2nd this year and a 3rd next.

Comment

• Bill Cody
          • Sep 2004

Originally posted by kgun12 View Post
          I think it’s a good idea the only problem I see is if we don’t get the right return for Edmunds it’s a huge cap hit.
          You can't go into it blind. Beane has a phone.

Comment

• kgun12
            • Jul 2002

You can't go into it blind. Beane has a phone.
            Sure I agree, but as far as what you said about letting him go and not getting anything for him. Maybe they’ve tried? The Steelers have done this forever, a player gets too costly he’s gone. To me Edmunds production doesn’t equate to a 20 million dollar contract. Like I’ve said his rookie numbers aren’t much different than this years. He was like 19 when we drafted him? I think we can get the same production from another rookie that older and physically as mature as Edmunds is right now.
            Retired Air Traffic Controller
            USAF VETERAN
            DAV

Comment

• Woodman
              Legendary Zoner
              • Apr 2014

You can't get greedy. Only an elite QB might command 2 1sts. Lamar Jackson for example. The team that trades for him also has to pay him, that reduces the compensation. I'm thinking a 2nd this year and a 3rd next.

If a player is given a non-exclusive franchise tag, the team signing him must send two first-round picks to the team that tagged the player. However, there is no compensation for the original team with the transition tag if they refuse to match the offer sheet.

Comment

• Bill Cody
                • Sep 2004

Originally posted by kgun12 View Post
                Sure I agree, but as far as what you said about letting him go and not getting anything for him. Maybe they’ve tried? The Steelers have done this forever, a player gets too costly he’s gone. To me Edmunds production doesn’t equate to a 20 million dollar contract. Like I’ve said his rookie numbers aren’t much different than this years. He was like 19 when we drafted him? I think we can get the same production from another rookie that older and physically as mature as Edmunds is right now.
                I guess I'm quite a bit higher on Edmunds than you which is ok.

I don't think the Bills have had any reason at all up to now to shop Edmunds. They used a lot of draft capital to get him and he's developed rather nicely. Not really a surprise that it took some time or that his progress was not linear because as you say he was young when they took him.

I think if the cap was not a consideration the Bills would opt to keep him. But it is. So he's part of a large picture Beane has to sort through, not easy. Especially with a team that is one of the top 5 teams in the league. Banking on rookies is a risk but we're going to have to do it in some cases. Whether it's with Edmunds remains to be seen. I can tell you if the plan ends up being to try to draft his replacement Beane will need a couple Ambien's in his coffee come draft day.

Comment

• Bill Cody
                  • Sep 2004

If a player is given a non-exclusive franchise tag, the team signing him must send two first-round picks to the team that tagged the player. However, there is no compensation for the original team with the transition tag if they refuse to match the offer sheet.
                  You understand teams can agree on less than 2 1sts for a franchised player right? In theory the Bills could franchise him and then trade him for a 7th, not that we would.

Comment

• Bill Cody
                    • Sep 2004

Thinking back a long ways I think we franchised Peerless Price and then traded him for 1 1st to the Falcons

Comment

• Woodman
                      Legendary Zoner
                      • Apr 2014

You understand teams can agree on less than 2 1sts for a franchised player right? In theory the Bills could franchise him and then trade him for a 7th, not that we would.

No I did not what does non-exclusive mean then?

I was stuck on the two first rounders part of it.

How bad does anybody want him I guess becomes the question.

I would expect it to be pretty high.

Comment

• kgun12
                        • Jul 2002

Thinking back a long ways I think we franchised Peerless Price and then traded him for 1 1st to the Falcons
                        I think you’re correct.

As far as being down on Edmunds, he turns my stomach every time I see him run into the back of the D-line or is chasing the runner like a blind man try to find his dog! I can’t take it anymore!
                        Last edited by kgun12; 02-17-2023, 10:02 AM.
                        Retired Air Traffic Controller
                        USAF VETERAN
                        DAV

Comment

• Woodman
                          Legendary Zoner
                          • Apr 2014

Who did we draft with the pick?

Comment

• sukie
                            Seriously?
                            • Sep 2012

Who did we draft with the pick?
                            Willis “Lord of the River Dance” McGahee

Comment

• Woodman
                              Legendary Zoner
                              • Apr 2014

Originally posted by sukie View Post
                              Willis “Lord of the River Dance” McGahee
                              You're an animal.

Comment

• Bill Cody
                                • Sep 2004

No I did not what does non-exclusive mean then?

I was stuck on the two first rounders part of it.

How bad does anybody want him I guess becomes the question.

I would expect it to be pretty high.
                                That means a player can solicit offer sheets from other clubs. The tag guarantees 2 1st round picks if the player signs an offer sheet and his present team does not match. But as I said the team tagging a player can negotiate a lower price for a trade.

Comment

Working...
                                X