Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Leslie Frasier steps away from coaching for a year

Thanks
    Thanked 7,576 Times in 6,134 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: Leslie Frasier steps away from coaching for a year

Quote Originally Posted by swiper View Post
    My reaction to hearing about this was this: Bills fans now will be able to focus their ire on the person really at the root of this defense (McDermott). It hasn't really been a point of discussion, but Frasier and McDermott have both recently said this is McDermott's defense. One has to wonder if Frazier leaving was due to him wanting to do things different and getting told "no." Certainly hope it has nothing to do with his health. But every insider you hear or read about absolutely loves Frazier and his defense and they push to get him another head coaching gig. So leaves you wondering.
    He has removed himself from the equation .... this was the right move for both parties.

He is free and clear and under no circumstance will he return to the Bills.
    28**60**128**133**144**160**163**200**204**248

Thanks
    Thanked 9,895 Times in 4,018 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Mace View Post
    McDermott was never a Tampa 2 dc. He was a Jim Johnson disciple. Johnson used a cover 2 shell.

Johnson's philosophy was to limit long gains and make them grind it out. Until they got to the 50. Then he'd start blitzing. Get to the 40...and he was confident in his shell....he'd start blitzing furiously from anywhere and everywhere...constant....the 2 lb's threatening both sides of the center at the line every play...even when they intended to drop into coverage. We used to see that in the beginning here.

In his first dc job...McD embraced it. By the end in Carolina...he seldom blitzed...he clenched into his present passive....he had Kuechly to protect him.

Current Bills d is a passive hybrid of tampa 2 and Johnson shell without aggression...carried as far as it gets by personnel.

McD inserted himself into 13 seconds. He lost his nerve....clenches.

Maybe Frazier was too passive and agreeable. Maybe McD engineered it this way. Maybe Holcomb has influence.

I don't think Frazier comes back here. I don't think McD regains his nerve. Was still an inadequate defense to use against big boys.

Maybe it changes. I wish Frazier well. I'm glad he will not be here. Worst thing will happen is that the defense will crumple in the clutch....again.
    I agree with nearly all of this and its why I say that McD really needs to go back and review old Jim Johnson playbooks, film and other writings...to remind himself of what got him here.

That said, there is a lil more here. The high draft resources are really very high, especially on the D line. 2 firsts, 2 seconds and a guy behind them who they used 1 first and a third on.

McD has this huge rotation thing going on with the D line to keep the D Line fresh.

Great. well, to take that logic to the next step...the OL of the other team doesn't rotate their linemen throughout the game. IF you follow that logic, The BIlls Dline should have a distinct advantage in the 4th quarter off the ball.

Yet, these 1st and 2nd round picks on the Dline aren't getting close to the QB in too many of these big games. At that stage in a game, wehre you know the other team is going to pass...the Dline's job isn't that complicated...you get to the qb, by whatever means necessary. sIts that whole "pin your ears back" thingy color commentators are always ranting on. And yet, I'm not seeing the sack or the pressure in these big games.

In fact, it was shown to be ineffective they needed to spend a great deal of money on Von Miller as a "closer".

The high picks they drafted should be "closers" by now.

A big part of this problem is that outside of Von, there isn't a speed rusher in their rotation.

I like Rousseau's athleticism, but he's not particularly fast.
    Boogie, I like his hustle...but he's not blowing people off the LOS.
    Epenesa...they used a 2nd round pick on an edge rusher who ran a 5.00 40 at the combine. I didn't understand the pick then, I don't understand it now.
    Oliver...he should be living in the backfield on most plays..but he only does that for a few games per year.

That leaves blitzing...and as you pointed out, they aren't doing that late in a game when a stop needs to be made.

It reminds me a bit of Jerry Gray when he was DC under Greggo. He'd be like that. When crunch time was on and a play needed to be made, he'd go into a shell.

3. Post thanked by:

Historian (03-01-2023),jamze132 (03-01-2023),kgun12 (03-01-2023),Lone Stranger (03-01-2023),Mace (03-01-2023),Mad Bomber (03-01-2023),swiper (03-01-2023),YardRat (03-01-2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,898 Times in 1,179 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by cookie G View Post
    I agree with nearly all of this and its why I say that McD really needs to go back and review old Jim Johnson playbooks, film and other writings...to remind himself of what got him here.

That said, there is a lil more here. The high draft resources are really very high, especially on the D line. 2 firsts, 2 seconds and a guy behind them who they used 1 first and a third on.

McD has this huge rotation thing going on with the D line to keep the D Line fresh.

Great. well, to take that logic to the next step...the OL of the other team doesn't rotate their linemen throughout the game. IF you follow that logic, The BIlls Dline should have a distinct advantage in the 4th quarter off the ball.

Yet, these 1st and 2nd round picks on the Dline aren't getting close to the QB in too many of these big games. At that stage in a game, wehre you know the other team is going to pass...the Dline's job isn't that complicated...you get to the qb, by whatever means necessary. sIts that whole "pin your ears back" thingy color commentators are always ranting on. And yet, I'm not seeing the sack or the pressure in these big games.

In fact, it was shown to be ineffective they needed to spend a great deal of money on Von Miller as a "closer".

A big part of this problem is that outside of Von, there isn't a speed rusher in their rotation.

Epenesa...they used a 2nd round pick on an edge rusher who ran a 5.00 40 at the combine. I didn't understand the pick then, I don't understand it now.
    Oliver...he should be living in the backfield on most plays..but he only does that for a few games per year.

That leaves blitzing...and as you pointed out, they aren't doing that late in a game when a stop needs to be made.

It reminds me a bit of Jerry Gray when he was DC under Greggo. He'd be like that. When crunch time was on and a play needed to be made, he'd go into a shell.
    Very good point as well. I said in one of the threads, this team needs to draft better.
    Retired Air Traffic Controller
    USAF VETERAN
    DAV

Thanks
    Thanked 5,853 Times in 3,502 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by kgun12 View Post
    Very good point as well. I said in one of the threads, this team needs to draft better.
    Definitely. We haven’t really “hit” on a first rounder since Josh.

6. Post thanked by:

Lone Stranger (03-01-2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 13,409 Times in 9,123 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

How does any of what Mace or cookie say make McDermott a good head coach? The right head coach?

A big part of the NY Giants success in 2022 was their hiring of Wink Martindale to run their defense. That unit made major improvements because of him (and some of their draft picks) and went a long way to keeping them in games last year.

8. Post thanked by:

Mace (03-01-2023)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by swiper View Post
    How does any of what Mace or cookie say make McDermott a good head coach? The right head coach?

A big part of the NY Giants success in 2022 was their hiring of Wink Martindale to run their defense. That unit made major improvements because of him (and some of their draft picks) and went a long way to keeping them in games last year.
    I’m not sure either one of them said McD was a good coach, as a matter of fact I think they both pointed out his faults and mistakes. Seems to me they both put a lot of the defensive issues squarely on McD’s shoulders!

10. Post thanked by:

Mace (03-01-2023),swiper (03-01-2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 30,558 Times in 17,442 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by cookie G View Post

I agree with everything except for the 'fourth quarter logic' regarding the lines. The expense of energy is very different between the offensive and defensive lines, in the offense's favor.
    YardRat Wall of Fame
    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Unreachable Douche
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,902 Times in 4,358 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by jamze132 View Post
    Definitely. We haven’t really “hit” on a first rounder since Josh.
    Beane and McDermott would be looking for jobs right now if it wasn’t for Josh.

13. Post thanked by:

jamze132 (03-02-2023),kgun12 (03-01-2023)

Haha...yeah you think so ? Mace's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,494 Times in 9,189 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Saw something interestng....speaking to Mike Catalana...McD told him they want to add some nasty to the D.....that all great defenses have a nasty edge to them. That's Jim Johnson-ish. Maybe McD was too tolerant of Frazier.

We'll find out. Would love for them to go Jim Johnson. Besides Martindale...a other furious blitzer is Todd Bowles as a dc.

15. Post thanked by:

jamze132 (03-02-2023)

Registered User kscdogbillsfan1221's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,899 Times in 2,082 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Na na na na
    na na na na
    hey hey hey
    goodbye!
    I came.
    I saw.
    I conquered.

Thanks
    Thanked 30,558 Times in 17,442 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I would take Bowles as a DC.

18. Post thanked by:

jamze132 (03-02-2023),Mace (03-01-2023),swiper (03-01-2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 13,409 Times in 9,123 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by YardRat View Post
    Right. Not a head coach.

20. Post thanked by:

Mace (03-01-2023),YardRat (03-01-2023)

Haha...yeah you think so ? Mace's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,494 Times in 9,189 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

With Arizona....I remember some game....last few minutes....two score lead...don't remember the opponent....strong pass offense....they started moving downfield....got near midfield...was thinking uh oh...

Bowles started blitzing insanely ..like everyone every play....announcers couldn't believe it....threw the offense into chaos...they tried a hurry up...everyone on d was at the line....just flooding it. Offense took it's final snap around their own 15....the qb taking the snap and immediately going down under basically the whole defense. I was gleeful.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by TacklingDummy View Post
    Beane and McDermott would be looking for jobs right now if it wasn’t for Josh.
    True!

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

100%

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Saw something interestng....speaking to Mike Catalana...McD told him they want to add some nasty to the D.....that all great defenses have a nasty edge to them. That's Jim Johnson-ish. Maybe McD was too tolerant of Frazier.

We'll find out. Would love for them to go Jim Johnson. Besides Martindale...a other furious blitzer is Todd Bowles as a dc.
    Bobby Wagner and Jacob Hargrove would add a little nastiness to this defense!
    Last edited by kgun12; 03-01-2023 at 06:59 PM.

25. Post thanked by:

Mace (03-03-2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,853 Times in 3,502 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I’m really hoping he allowed Frazier the freedom. And it looks like McDermott wanted to change the way Frazier does business and to keep it clean, they allowed Frazier to leave without being “fired”. I just think their philosophies started to differ too much and the HC is usually going to win.

27. Post thanked by:

Mace (03-03-2023)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by jamze132 View Post
    I’m really hoping he allowed Frazier the freedom. And it looks like McDermott wanted to change the way Frazier does business and to keep it clean, they allowed Frazier to leave without being “fired”. I just think their philosophies started to differ too much and the HC is usually going to win.
    They gave Frazier the freedom to go the way he wanted JMO ..... and has been since it happened.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Didn't the D get off to a horrible start with Frazier for the first few games 3-4 seasons ago, then McD took over the Def playcalling and righted the ship before handing the playcalling back over to Frazier?

30. Post thanked by:

kgun12 (03-03-2023),Woodman (03-13-2023)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff1220 View Post
    Didn't the D get off to a horrible start with Frazier for the first few games 3-4 seasons ago, then McD took over the Def playcalling and righted the ship before handing the playcalling back over to Frazier?
    Here's to that happening all over again.

32. Post thanked by:

Jeff1220 (03-03-2023),kgun12 (03-03-2023)