McLeod Bethel-Thompson’s tenure in Toronto is one of the best feel-good CFL stories I can remember. I’m not certain the term “journeyman” applied to a professional athlete more aptly than to Bethel-Thompson prior to him landing with the Argonauts in May, 2017. Now, after five seasons in Double Blue, Bethel-Thompson is saying a difficult goodbye to the team and league that gave him more solid ground than ever before.

It didn’t take much analysis to determine how heartfelt Bethel-Thompson’s departure message was when he posted it on social media last week. The city of Toronto, the Argos, and the CFL meant the world to him. And the fact he contemplated his future as long as he did speaks loudly to how difficult this decision was for him. In the end, Bethel-Thompson is prioritizing family by signing with the New Orleans Breakers of the USFL. How can you begrudge that?

He leaves the CFL in grand fashion. 2022 was a banner year for Bethel-Thompson that saw him set new career highs in starts (17), attempts (579), completions (387) and passing yards (4,731). In his first year as an unchallenged starter, Bethel-Thompson delivered in the regular season before helming Toronto to a pair of playoff wins, including the 109th Grey Cup. I’m not sure he saw any of that transpiring when signing his first contract with the Argos.

Think of the road Bethel-Thompson had travelled in the six years prior to joining Toronto. Between early 2011 and spring 2017, Bethel-Thompson had 12 separate stints on pro rosters encompassing eight teams, four leagues and two countries. For that reason, I’m not certain how long he expected to remain with the Argonauts…and who could blame him? Well, he ended up being associated with the organization for the next six years.

But even during that stretch, it wasn’t always smooth sailing. Whether it was James Franklin or Nick Arbuckle, it was rare Bethel-Thompson didn’t have significant competition for playing time. He faced external questions about whether he could be the guy to lead Toronto to where they wanted to go. He just kept working, grinding, and earning the respect of teammates. After all, for Bethel-Thompson, adversity was just part of the regular routine.

I’m sad to see the guy go. Bethel-Thompson was an awesome story, a consummate professional, and a fiery competitor. But he departs the CFL on great terms and gets an opportunity to mesh his professional life with his family life a little better. I wish him nothing but the best.

https://www.cfl.ca/2023/02/27/steinb...reciating-mbt/

Amazing journey this man has been on. Wish him the best.