Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Restructures and other cap-related roster moves

Thanks
    Thanked 7,607 Times in 6,161 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: Restructures and other cap-related roster moves

Quote Originally Posted by kgun12 View Post
    It’s a start, a very small start, but a start nonetheless.

Should start hearing a lot more very soon.

2. Post thanked by:

kgun12 (03-11-2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,948 Times in 1,276 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

notty, check your dms
    Not here to be right, just here to have interesting discussions about my impulsive opinions

Thanks
    Thanked 11,713 Times in 7,769 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Even though I did not “post the paywall protected content in full”, in order to see what Joe B. suggests, I have summarized his article and only quoted the relatively small amounts of the full article (as allowed by TOS) in the two segments indicated below.

Everything except the two segments in quote brackets have been written by me. I assume that words written by a poster is still allowed.

This post is in full compliance with TOS. As required by the same TOS, I am including a URL link to the article where it is originally published from. Again the segment that are directly quoted are indicated as such.

Bills mock offseason 2023, Part 1: Charting Buffalo’s course through free agency and more

Cap room of the top 51 player contracts as of the morning of March 8, 2023 and accounting for $3.29 for 2023 draft allotment- -$22.3M

Players under contract to release before free agency

None

Contract restructures before free agency......

QB Josh Allen:
    Save $21.14M in cap space

DE Von Miller
    Save $10.86M in cap space

WR Stefon Diggs
    Save $5.4M in cap space

Cap space after restructures: $15.1M

Internal upcoming free agents......

Re-sign LB Tremaine Edmunds

Five years, $80M ($45M guaranteed)

The Bills are about to have a lot of turnover on the defensive side of the ball over the next two or three years, which makes locking in Tremaine Edmunds(25 in May) a priority and a key to their defense. He turned into everything they wanted when they drafted him in 2018, and his play on film indicates that he’s on the cusp of making several game-changing plays in coverage. He is the perfect quick-twitch linebacker for the new NFL in a size (6-foot-5, 250 pounds) rarely seen for his skill set. The contract hits several benchmarks for Edmunds. It would place him fifth in average salary at his position at $16 million and match the guaranteed money Roquan Smith received just months ago. As for the deal’s structure, we utilized a heavy signing bonus and a low 2023 base salary to keep this year’s cap hit low. Then in 2024, there is a guaranteed $7 million roster bonus the Bills could push out for cap savings next year.
    Cap hit for 2023: $7.93M
    Cap hit for 2024: $16.9M
    Cap hit for 2025: $16.78M

No guaranteed money after 2025.

Allow everyone else to hit free agency

Moves when unrestricted free agency begins.......

Sign RB Miles Sanders
    Three years, $24 million ($14 million guaranteed) Cap hit for 2023: $5M.

Restructure RB Nyheim Hines with a pay cut
    cap savings - $2.25M

Sign OT/G Andrew Wylie
    Two years, $10 million ($6 million guaranteed) Cap hit for 2023: $2.46M

Restructure CB Tre’Davious White and NCB Taron Johnson’s contracts
    Cap savings for 2023: $8.34M

Sign S Jimmie Ward
    One year, $7.85 million ($7 million guaranteed) Cap hit for 2023: $4.11M

Sign QB Sam Darnold
    One Year $3.5M - cap hit same for 2023

The Bills need a backup quarterback for Allen, and they also have the Mitchell Trubisky experience to use as an example for other younger quarterbacks hoping to get back to a payday. Darnold is a prime target, as the Bills loved him coming out of college, he is airtight with Allen as friends, and Darnold could see Buffalo as a one-year stepping stone to land a huge contract in 2024.

Sign WR Darius Slayton
    One year, $3 million. Cap hit for 2023: $3M
    Re-sign CB Dane Jackson
    One year, $1.2 million - same cap hit for 2023
    Re-sign LB Tyrel Dodson
    One year, $1 million – same cap hit for 2023
    Re-sign TE Tommy Sweeney
    One year, veteran minimum – same cap hit for 2023
    Re-sign S Jaquan Johnson
    Re-sign P Sam Martin

Cap room after free agency including draft picks for 2023: $2.09M

I like the possibility of signing Miles Sanders. That would eliminate the need to use a high value pick in the draft (although a late round pick makes sense to develop). The Bills only have two RB’s under contract right now, and Hines’ cap hit is unpalatable.

Not sure about signing Sam Darnold for backup QB, although I understand the logic. Very much like Trubisky last season, he provides starter experience that is vital for a backup.

All a backup’s job is to not let the team fall apart if Allen goes down. And the relationship between Josh and Sam is well known. Darnold is not ever going to be a starter, but he is still a skilled QB that given the right circumstances (a really, really good team around him) can manage the game for a short period of time.

Although he would not be my first pick, if by some chance it came to be (and Joe B. is not the first place I have heard this suggestion) I would not be opposed at all. He would be better than Case Keenum for short term backup duties. Jacoby Brissett is another possibility.

The most controversial, of course, is extending Edmunds. I believe it’s a no brainer and IF they could get him for $16M APY it would be a very smart, forward thinking move.

Interestingly, ESPN published various information from their “insiders” in what they have been gathering from the scuttlebutt around the league. Yeah, from writers that have actual relationships with NFL GM’s, NFL coaches and other team sources and are in direct communication with them. Yes, off season, pre-draft is the time for smoke screens and misdirection, but their insight is still valuable.

This is what was written about Tremaine Edmunds….

Free agency and trade buzz: Aaron Rodgers, Lamar Jackson, top sleepers

A spotlight should be on Tremaine Edmunds, who will test the linebacker market in a big way. His age (24), impressive size (6-foot-5, 250) and Pro Bowl background prompt the question: Will he push for $20 million annually? Some teams think he might get close. Not everyone agrees. But those who are high on him are really high on him, and Buffalo is bummed that a blue-chip player it drafted and developed isn't staying due in part to cap constraints.

…snip…

Edmunds is a good call as one to watch, and the obvious spot for him is the Giants, who are being run by people who helped draft and develop him in Buffalo. The Giants aren't exactly loaded with cap space, and they have big-time needs on the offensive side of the ball at wide receiver. But I'm definitely not ruling them out as a team for Edmunds or Buffalo's other prime defensive free agent, safety Jordan Poyer. -- Graziano
    Among the GM’s and NFL front office professionals, it’s a given that Tremaine Edmunds is a special talent and has a very high value that makes sense for a majority of the teams. He would be an upgrade at LB for most teams. The only disagreement come from whether he will hit, or approach the $20M mark.

$16M with a 2023 cap hit of $7.9M in 2023 would be a no-brainer to maintain the high level of the Bills defense.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Matt Milano agrees to two-year extension with Bills - ProFootballTalk

Adam Schefter of ESPN reports that Milano’s new deal will result in $6 million in salary cap savings for the Bills this season.

Milano was a 2017 fifth-round pick and has spent his entire career with the Bills. He is coming off a season that saw him selected as a first-team All-Pro and Pro Bowler for the first time in his career.

6. Post thanked by:

notacon (03-12-2023)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Buffalo Bills can “free around $32 million in space” with Allen and Miller restructures, per report - Buffalo Rumblings

Buffalo Bills can “free around $32 million in space” with Allen and Miller restructures, per report

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Chris Trapasso

Josh Allen & Von Miller restructures are locks. Will happen any day now. They'll free around $32M in space for
    #Bills
    who are around $14M-$17M *over* the cap. Would then be around $16M underQuestion is: will Buffalo restructure anyone else like Dawkins, White, Diggs, or Milano?

Update: We already did Milano, RESTRUCTURED AND EXTENDED.
    Last edited by Woodman; 03-12-2023 at 01:27 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 11,713 Times in 7,769 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Woodman View Post
    Matt Milano agrees to two-year extension with Bills - ProFootballTalk

Adam Schefter of ESPN reports that Milano’s new deal will result in $6 million in salary cap savings for the Bills this season.

Milano was a 2017 fifth-round pick and has spent his entire career with the Bills. He is coming off a season that saw him selected as a first-team All-Pro and Pro Bowler for the first time in his career.
    Excellent. Now they have to extend Edmunds to keep the best starting LB tandem together for years to come.

Thanks
    Thanked 30,583 Times in 17,460 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Can I sue Joe B. for ripping off the format of my annual Roster Analysis thread that I've been doing for almost a decade or should I just take comfort in knowing he knows who to listen to on other formats?
    YardRat Wall of Fame
    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Retired - On Several Levels Night Train's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,240 Times in 7,618 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

• LB Tyler Matakevich: Re-signing on a two-year deal that voids after Year 1. (Ian Rapoport)
    • LB Matt Milano: Signed a two-year extension through 2026. He was previously under contract through 2024. (Team)
    • P Sam Martin: Re-signing on a three-year contract worth up to $7.5 million with $4.115 million in guarantees. (Mike Garafolo)
    Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

12. Post thanked by:

Forward_Lateral (03-13-2023),kgun12 (03-13-2023)