Ezekiel Elliott will be released

Ian .... GMFB

Dammit wrong forum.
    28**60**128**133**144**160**163**200**204**248

Thanks
    Thanked 7,564 Times in 6,123 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: Ezekiel Elliott will be released

Pollard just the better option by a ton.

So any interest in the old RB?

Thanks
    Thanked 12,386 Times in 7,271 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

No thanks!

4. Post thanked by:

kgun12 (03-15-2023)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Novacane View Post
    No thanks!
    Not much left if anything on those tires.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,875 Times in 1,163 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Hard pass!
    Retired Air Traffic Controller
    USAF VETERAN
    DAV

7. Post thanked by:

notacon (03-15-2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,694 Times in 7,755 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Elliot sucks as compared to Pollard.

He’s pretty much washed up. He’s looked average to below average the past three seasons.

9. Post thanked by:

Historian (03-16-2023)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Elliott is SO washed up.

11. Post thanked by:

Novacane (03-19-2023)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Actually think this may happen. I’m talking myself into the idea.

Jamaal Williams got 4 mil a year. How much can Zeke really ask for? I would assume it has to be less.

He still a good short yardage guy, right? He would save Josh and our small starting RB from some wear and tear. Why not bring him in for 3mil/year and let him do the dirty short yardage stuff so Allen/Cook don’t have to? He doesn’t have to break off 50 yard plays anymore, we have Cook for the explosive stuff.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,564 Times in 2,153 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

There has been some speculation that Buffalo could be a landing spot for Elliot. It's clear his best days are behind him as most observe that is seems to have lost his burst. I would rather Buffalo look for other options.
    I've made up my mind. Don't confuse me with the facts.

I'm the most reasonable poster here. If you don't agree, I'll be forced to have a hissy fit.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,793 Times in 1,206 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Well here is the thing -- or at least my theory.

Allen goes off rogue far too often. A lot of the stuff we ***** about is Josh Allen doing whatever the **** he wants.

They want to address the run issue by putting someone with a bigger presence back there with him as a runner. Elliot might fit that bill especially if he works a favorable contract that puts him on the squad. And I mean presence in Allen's mind the fact that Elliot's better days are behind him isn't necessarily a strike against him in that area.

So I don't know about this one it comes down to numbers and where Elliot is mentally about how he's going to contribute here.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Typ0 View Post

Allen goes off rogue far too often. A lot of the stuff we ***** about is Josh Allen doing whatever the **** he wants.

They want to address the run issue by putting someone with a bigger presence back there with him as a runner. Elliot might fit that bill especially if he works a favorable contract that puts him on the squad. And I mean presence in Allen's mind the fact that Elliot's better days are behind him isn't necessarily a strike against him in that area.

So I don't know about this one it comes down to numbers and where Elliot is mentally about how he's going to contribute here.
    I don’t agree at all with your assessment of Allen. I think they took Diggs away and last year the other receivers were lazy, ran poor routes and the line wasn’t great. As a quarterback you can stand back there and wait for someone to drift open, get sacked, or run for your life. Allen chose number 3!

I agree especially in your short yardage take, but they have to call a running play that doesn’t include Allen doing a quarterback sneak, having him running up the middle or him running off tackle sweep. That’s not Allen’s call, these are all designed calls from the OC. I can’t just say Dorsey, because Dabol called the same plays.

Were there times Allen tried to put the offense on his shoulders, yes but it was because of poor execution or called by the coaches.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,793 Times in 1,206 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by kgun12 View Post
    I don’t agree at all with your assessment of Allen. I think they took Diggs away and last year the other receivers were lazy, ran poor routes and the line wasn’t great. As a quarterback you can stand back there and wait for someone to drift open, get sacked, or run for your life. Allen chose number 3!

I agree especially in your short yardage take, but they have to call a running play that doesn’t include Allen doing a quarterback sneak, having him running up the middle or him running off tackle sweep. That’s not Allen’s call, these are all designed calls from the OC. I can’t just say Dorsey, because Dabol called the same plays.

Were there times Allen tried to put the offense on his shoulders, yes but it was because of poor execution or called by the coaches.
    Our receivers took Diggs away by being goofy and ineffective you are right about that.

Not convinced they are happy with all the decisions Allen is making on the field when he is healthy. He seems to actually play smarter football when he's hurt and limited sometimes that has been emerging but he quickly steps into his own box when he feels better. If you get Uber Allen that day you are all set but a lot of times living on that edge just gets you falling off the ledge.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Our receivers took Diggs away by being goofy and ineffective you are right about that.

Not convinced they are happy with all the decisions Allen is making on the field when he is healthy. He seems to actually play smarter football when he's hurt and limited sometimes that has been emerging but he quickly steps into his own box when he feels better. If you get Uber Allen that day you are all set but a lot of times living on that edge just gets you falling off the ledge.
    I’m going to defer to you on this, I’m going to admit I’m not smart enough to get into the heads of the Bills receivers. I will also say when Allen was healthy (before the Jets game) the receivers didn’t seem to have any problems with Josh. I will argue that Josh wasn’t healthy after the Jets game for the rest of the season. I’m not sure how his elbow could have healed without sitting out some games. Can you tell me how an injury heals without rest especially an injury to the elbow on his throwing arm?

We play to win the game! BuffaloBlitz83's Avatar
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

He'd help on tough yard plays. short yards, Goal line. Cook as main back

19. Post thanked by:

kgun12 (03-18-2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 30,527 Times in 17,420 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I'm not so sure Elliot is the power back that some people think he is. If the oline doesn't give him a hole, he's going to get stuffed just as easily as Singletary and Moss would.

Pass.
    YardRat Wall of Fame
    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

21. Post thanked by:

Mace (03-19-2023)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

If they are going to sign any more FA, I’d much rather it be OL. There are still some quality players available that at this point might come a little cheaper than a week ago.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,191 Times in 625 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Honestly, just draft a solid RB prospect.

2020-2023 AFC East Champions! Historian's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 28,242 Times in 15,406 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Hard. pass.

25. Post thanked by:

kgun12 (03-19-2023),Mace (03-19-2023),YardRat (03-19-2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,694 Times in 7,755 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Unfortunately, we have little idea of exactly how much Allen “goes rouge”. We are not privy to the play calling, and no matter how much those outside the team want to say that they “know” what is being called by watching the game, that is nothing more than a guess.

But, with that said, it is fairly apparent that Josh (and probably the coaches) feel the need to put so much on his shoulders because the Bills do not have a consistent RB threat that can either get the short yardage needed (especially in the red zone) or have a breakaway threat.

JOSH fulfills those roles, which is not a good place to be.

Cook could provide the breakaway threat....so could Hines. But, as Beane said in his presser there is a need for a heavier back. Singletary is not that guy either.

Could Elliot??? Maybe. He sure looks played out and washed up to any objective observer. Almost every time Tony Pollard got the ball the difference in energy and speed was unmistakable.

Would Elliot agree to play on a Super Bowl contending team (the Bills, not Dallas since Dallas is not as close a SB contending team as the Bills, by quite a large margin, mainly because Josh Allen is so much better than Dak) on a cheap contract??? And, more importantly, would that be a wise use of limited cap space.

I have strong doubts to both.

Is there a FA RB out there, that is cheap enough to provide what the Bills need?? Well, the RB market is quite low....cheapest position in the NFL (save kickers and punters). The Bills have passed on every RB so far, and it sure looks like they are going to stay out of the RB FA market.

This need is screaming to be filled in the draft. A young 20 something kid with no brutal NFL miles on him (no, college football is not even close to as punishing as the NFL)....on a rookie controlled contract, which provides the opportunity to get the best years from a RB (for 4 or 5 years) and then cut him loose and do it again.

The only question is who, and what degree of draft capital is it going to take.

I have made my opinion quite clear. If Bijan Robinson falls to #27 (or even #25 or so requiring a minor move up) the Bills would be fools to not strongly consider him.

A blue chip, first tier prospect like Robinson, IF he falls would be a STEAL for the Bills, and give them an almost sure fire MASSIVE impact player that would propel the Bills offense into almost unstoppable territory....and make Josh much more effective.

I doubt that is going to happen.

There are other RB’s that could fulfill that role, albeit not even close to the talent of Robinson. Late 2nd round...3rd round or possibly even later could have that guy....the trick is to recognize it.

Is the Bills talent organization capable to target that guy? Of course they are. We’ll see in the weeks ahead.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by kgun12 View Post
    If they are going to sign any more FA, I’d much rather it be OL. There are still some quality players available that at this point might come a little cheaper than a week ago.
    100%

Gotta make it the top priority.