Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Brandon Beane Presser

2020-2023 AFC East Champions! Historian's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 28,249 Times in 15,411 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: Brandon Beane Presser

Quote Originally Posted by YardRat View Post
    Admittedly, I don't have nearly as much confidence looking toward next season as I have the last couple.
    I agree a bit.

But not because we are worse, simply because everybody else (in the division) got better.

On paper anyways.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,565 Times in 6,124 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Typ0 View Post

We need smarter strategically aggressive game plans that go after their weaknesses and let our guys get pumped up to rip some heads off and eat raw heart for dinner. I think McDermott and Beane have done a good job with the roster every team is going to face adversity at positions and you don't know what or where it is coming. Don't stand there and tell me next man up is good enough then coach scared as some master plan to limit your risk. If it is next man up then let them play football we might just end up with gold instead of dog ****.
    28**60**128**133**144**160**163**200**204**248

3. Post thanked by:

Typ0 (03-19-2023)

We play to win the game! BuffaloBlitz83's Avatar
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Historian View Post
    I agree a bit.

But not because we are worse, simply because everybody else (in the division) got better.

On paper anyways.
    Remember rodgers looked like piss vs the lions. Both times. Now he's passing off jet receivers bringing his friends in. Garrett Wilson will be pissed if lazard gets more targets

Thanks
    Thanked 11,695 Times in 7,755 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Typ0 View Post
    I am encouraged we are going to see changes on the defensive philosophy -- it was due. They need to be more aggressive and they need a better form of communicating and getting onto the same page before the snap. Maybe they just need something simpler to communicate about I don't know what it is but they made a big change in an attempt to fix it. I have grown weary of the bend don't break to stop everything over the top philosophy. It really has started to feel like we are taking the defense's ability to get stops out of the equation on 3/4 of the football field and it is not acceptable. We're talking about getting annihilated in the field position game down the stretch by design so some great offense who is going to score 65% of the time anyway can be held to a field goal.

We need smarter strategically aggressive game plans that go after their weaknesses and let our guys get pumped up to rip some heads off and eat raw heart for dinner. I think McDermott and Beane have done a good job with the roster every team is going to face adversity at positions and you don't know what or where it is coming. Don't stand there and tell me next man up is good enough then coach scared as some master plan to limit your risk. If it is next man up then let them play football we might just end up with gold instead of dog ****.
    The Bills defense was ranked #6 in YPG allowed and #2 in points allowed per game in 2022 regular season.

They ranked #5 in rushing yard allowed per game, and the worst ranking was against the pass....#15 in yards allowed per game.

It’s pretty clear that the pass defense suffered because of Hyde missing almost the whole season, Poyer fighting injuries over his whole body, and a number injuries to the secondary in what seemed like every week....Dane Jackson almost getting his head taken off...Hamlin literally dying on the field before a miraculous resuscitation.

Along with Tre’ White not playing until Thanksgiving, and barely coming back into form before the end of the year....with Elam not living up to his 1st round status and not able to clearly show he could be the starter at #2 CB spot (although looking brighter at the very end of the year).

So....no reliable CB tandem....no reliable S tandem. And they still gave up only 214.6 yards per game, 5.3 yards per game off the top 10 (Houston #10 allowing 209.3 YPG, while having the WORST run defense in the NFL, giving up a whopping 170.2 YOG compared to the Bills 104.6)

Despite all those challenges, the Bills still ranked #4 in net passing yards allowed per play (5.6...#1 Philly = 4.9)....#3 in least percentage of opponent drives ending in a score (31%....#1 SanFran = 25.7%).

That sure does not illustrate a “bend don't break to stop everything over the top philosophy"
    Last edited by notacon; 03-19-2023 at 12:02 PM.

2020-2023 AFC East Champions! Historian's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 28,249 Times in 15,411 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

7. Post thanked by:

Gibby 2.0 (03-19-2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,565 Times in 6,124 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Haha...yeah you think so ? Mace's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,490 Times in 9,187 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by YardRat View Post
    Admittedly, I don't have nearly as much confidence looking toward next season as I have the last couple. IMO that first window closed, the organization wasted the opportunity of having an MVP-level QB on a rookie contract. Now we are back to 2018-2019, in a position to have to re-tool and build to become championship-capable again. The 'humble and hungry' is gone. The 'family' is being tested. This is a critical season for the organization and top to bottom they need to perform better than they have the last few years. They screwed up the first window playing to not lose, the next window needs to focus on playing to win.
    Very much agree. A thing I've complained about that still bothers me is talent pipeline. We stll don't have one. When alot of vet fa's are released...you read that it's because a team had someone groomed and ready to start. Not so here. We lose a starter...and next man up is deficient...and it immediately shows. They have no drafted talent pushing a vet starter. That's economical...and sustained.

Instead they run to the vet fa well for serviceable discards other people drafted. By not playing guys like Elam...Shakir...Cook enough....you draw out the process of finding out how good they are...when it's clear already the vet starters in front of them need challenging or their roles provide value.

I'm not sure the process hasn't hit it's shelf life. They did well early in drafts and fa...but by now...there should be a pipeline limiting the need to patch yearly in fa...imho.
    Last edited by Mace; 03-19-2023 at 03:14 PM.

10. Post thanked by:

YardRat (03-19-2023)