Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: RB Damien Harris a Bill

Thanks
    Thanked 1,878 Times in 1,165 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: RB Damien Harris a Bill

You can, I think drafting a RB in the first round is just plain stupid. If it were up to me I would draft the highest rated OL/DL/CB in the first two rounds almost without fail. I would get my WR’s through FA or trade, it takes too long for most WR’s to learn the pro game and by then we can afford to keep them. I wouldn’t draft a RB until at the earliest the 4th round because if you don’t have a great line it doesn’t matter who the back is and if the line is great it doesn’t matter who the back is.

The only thing that changes the OL/DL/CB plan is if the is a real need at another position other than RB and it’s not a reach then I take him. Like this year, as of now we need a MLB, and if he’s there again without reaching take him if not…OL/DL/CB.
    Retired Air Traffic Controller
    USAF VETERAN
    DAV

2. Post thanked by:

Saratoga Slim (03-22-2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,154 Times in 5,891 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I don’t think the learning period is that long on talented WRs. Jefferson Chase Waddle Shakir… (okay I added Shakir to see who’s reading this far)

4. Post thanked by:

kgun12 (03-21-2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 13,409 Times in 9,123 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Who else misses Spiked at this time of year pining for the Bills to use their first on a guard?

6. Post thanked by:

kgun12 (03-21-2023)

Do you read what you write? Oaf's Avatar
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Sorry if posted earlier but Dame Harris signed for $1.7M apparently. That's a great deal and makes me less inclined to use a draft pick on a RB at all. Find a bruiser in UDFA, IMO.

8. Post thanked by:

notacon (03-22-2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 30,530 Times in 17,423 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I'm not sure McGovern, Harris and Sherfield are upgrades, that remains to be seen. It would be a pleasant surprise if they are, but it certainly isn't a given. And if Harty is a replacement for 'Brown' we spent a lot of money on a guy that isn't going to be active on Sunday.
    YardRat Wall of Fame
    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Thanks
    Thanked 1,191 Times in 625 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by YardRat View Post
    I'm not sure McGovern, Harris and Sherfield are upgrades, that remains to be seen. It would be a pleasant surprise if they are, but it certainly isn't a given. And if Harty is a replacement for 'Brown' we spent a lot of money on a guy that isn't going to be active on Sunday.
    Pretty sure Harty is a replacement for McKenzie. Sherfield for Kumerow.
    Wake up, brush your teeth, and get ready for a day of hating the Dolphins. Or the Pats? How to choose?

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Saratoga Slim View Post
    Pretty sure Harty is a replacement for McKenzie. Sherfield for Kumerow.
    And hopefully upgrades for both

Thanks
    Thanked 7,565 Times in 6,124 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff1220 View Post
    And hopefully upgrades for both

download-1.jpg

Make it so number1.
    28**60**128**133**144**160**163**200**204**248

Thanks
    Thanked 11,695 Times in 7,755 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by kgun12 View Post
    You can, I think drafting a RB in the first round is just plain stupid. If it were up to me I would draft the highest rated OL/DL/CB in the first two rounds almost without fail. I would get my WR’s through FA or trade, it takes too long for most WR’s to learn the pro game and by then we can afford to keep them. I wouldn’t draft a RB until at the earliest the 4th round because if you don’t have a great line it doesn’t matter who the back is and if the line is great it doesn’t matter who the back is.

The only thing that changes the OL/DL/CB plan is if the is a real need at another position other than RB and it’s not a reach then I take him. Like this year, as of now we need a MLB, and if he’s there again without reaching take him if not…OL/DL/CB.
    You are entitled to your opinion.

I think to reject, out of hand, drafting a RB in the first round is just plain stupid.

Besides the fact that I am not advocating just drafting ANY RB, but one specific blue chip, top 5 overall prospect that just might drop to #27 (but I very much doubt it) because so many adhere to the stupid idea that drafting a RB in the first round is just plain stupid.

If it were up to me I would draft the highest rated WR in the first two rounds almost without fail. CB, not at all. Maybe take a sixth or seventh round flyer on one. With OL I suspect that there is not going to be anyone worthwhile to spend a first or second round pick on. Third or later can result in some fine solid prospects.

LB in the second round IF he’s good value. Jack Campbell comes to mind. He’s not worth a first round pick, but it could be worth moving up in the second round, but do NOT reach for one.

I, and a LOT of other Bills fans, are SICK AND TIRED of constantly concentrating on defensive players in the draft and almost IGNORING offensive weapons. Today’s NFL is ALL about offense. Period. End. Of. Story.

WR...WR....WR...WR...WR...should be the mantra. Offense...offense....offense....offense....is the only thing that should go through Beane’s mind.

The ideal draft for me (besides Robinson dropping to #27, which I suspect will not come close to happening) is the WR’s do not go flying off the board and the Bills have the opportunity to get one the good ones that have a chance to have an immediate impact like Zay Flowers, Josh Downs or Palin Hyatt....and then Jack Campbell falls to us at #59.

Then go back to offensive in round 3 with a TE, which is said to be deep this year, or ANOTHER WR!!!! With Allen in his prime this team should be FLOODED with WR’s. Get ready to let Davis walk next year. Or OL depth. There should be plenty of very good IOL in round three.

The Bills are NOT going to win a Super Bowl, or get close to one the back of the defense. THE reason they lost EVERY game last year was because of the offense flailing. Especially in the last game of the season.

Scoring only 10 points in ANY game is akin to NFL malpractice. Doing so in the playoffs almost assures a LOSS.

Drafting the highest rated OL/DL/CB in the first two rounds is not going to get the Bills a SB title. And I (and a lot of other Bills fans) will be PISSED beyond belief if they do that.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by notacon View Post
    You are entitled to your opinion.

I think to reject, out of hand, drafting a RB in the first round is just plain stupid.

Besides the fact that I am not advocating just drafting ANY RB, but one specific blue chip, top 5 overall prospect that just might drop to #27 (but I very much doubt it) because so many adhere to the stupid idea that drafting a RB in the first round is just plain stupid.

If it were up to me I would draft the highest rated WR in the first two rounds almost without fail. CB, not at all. Maybe take a sixth or seventh round flyer on one. With OL I suspect that there is not going to be anyone worthwhile to spend a first or second round pick on. Third or later can result in some fine solid prospects.

LB in the second round IF he’s good value. Jack Campbell comes to mind. He’s not worth a first round pick, but it could be worth moving up in the second round, but do NOT reach for one.

I, and a LOT of other Bills fans, are SICK AND TIRED of constantly concentrating on defensive players in the draft and almost IGNORING offensive weapons. Today’s NFL is ALL about offense. Period. End. Of. Story.

WR...WR....WR...WR...WR...should be the mantra. Offense...offense....offense....offense....is the only thing that should go through Beane’s mind.

The ideal draft for me (besides Robinson dropping to #27, which I suspect will not come close to happening) is the WR’s do not go flying off the board and the Bills have the opportunity to get one the good ones that have a chance to have an immediate impact like Zay Flowers, Josh Downs or Palin Hyatt....and then Jack Campbell falls to us at #59.

Then go back to offensive in round 3 with a TE, which is said to be deep this year, or ANOTHER WR!!!! With Allen in his prime this team should be FLOODED with WR’s. Get ready to let Davis walk next year. Or OL depth. There should be plenty of very good IOL in round three.

The Bills are NOT going to win a Super Bowl, or get close to one the back of the defense. THE reason they lost EVERY game last year was because of the offense flailing. Especially in the last game of the season.

Scoring only 10 points in ANY game is akin to NFL malpractice. Doing so in the playoffs almost assures a LOSS.

Drafting the highest rated OL/DL/CB in the first two rounds is not going to get the Bills a SB title. And I (and a lot of other Bills fans) will be PISSED beyond belief if they do that.

Hey, thanks for lettng me have my opinion, you don't know happy having your blessing makes me feel!!! I've already explain my positoin on a teams need to draft an elite RB, refer to leauge and SB MVP honors, all teams need is an adequte RB and if our top 3 backs stay healthy we are fine. The Bills offensive line was ranked 23rd in the league last year, maybe that's why we lost to Cincy? Maybe it was we didn't get any pressure on Borrow's? Maybe because we couldn't cover their recievers because of poor CB play?

All of these issue were because of weak OL/DL/CB play. You can draft your elite RB or WR, this team needs other help! Remember RB's in this era of football isn't the way to a SB victory.

Hey, I wanted to ask, can you show me the survey sample of all the fans that would be PISSED beyond belief if they do this? 25-30 years ago I would have agreed an elite RB was important, but the league took off their leather helmets, put the emphsis on protecting and getting to the QB.

15. Post thanked by:

swiper (03-31-2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,086 Times in 3,569 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

A Belicheatian move. Sign players from other teams that hurt you.

And the best part is he and Sherfield won't count in the comp pick formula, meaning the Bills should get a 3rd rounder for losing Edmunds.

17. Post thanked by:

swiper (03-31-2023)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Goobylal View Post
    A Belicheatian move. Sign players from other teams that hurt you.

And the best part is he and Sherfield won't count in the comp pick formula, meaning the Bills should get a 3rd rounder for losing Edmunds.
    Works for me.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Bills running back Damien Harris: 'I know that I'm here for a reason'

‘“I know that everything that I get in this organization, I’m going to have to earn,” Harris said. “From right now until the end. I’m going to have to earn everything I get. I’m going to have to earn every carry that I get. I’m going to have to earn every opportunity to step on the field and show the world that I can do my job and play for this organization.”’

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Bills RB Damien Harris ‘is about to score so many TDs for Buffalo’ (Media reactions) - newyorkupstate.com

Bills RB Damien Harris ‘is about to score so many TDs for Buffalo’ (Media reactions)

The Buffalo Bills found the big back that they were looking for in free agency.

On Monday night, it was reported that Buffalo was signing former New England Patriots running back Damien Harris to a one-year deal. Harris, 26, rushed for 2,094 yards and 20 touchdowns in his three plus seasons with New England averaging 4.7 yards per carry. His best season came in 2021 when he rushed for 929 yards and 15 touchdowns on 202 carries (4.6 YPC).

Thanks
    Thanked 11,695 Times in 7,755 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Hey, thanks for lettng me have my opinion, you don't know happy having your blessing makes me feel!!! I've already explain my positoin on a teams need to draft an elite RB, refer to leauge and SB MVP honors, all teams need is an adequte RB and if our top 3 backs stay healthy we are fine. The Bills offensive line was ranked 23rd in the league last year, maybe that's why we lost to Cincy? Maybe it was we didn't get any pressure on Borrow's? Maybe because we couldn't cover their recievers because of poor CB play?

All of these issue were because of weak OL/DL/CB play. You can draft your elite RB or WR, this team needs other help! Remember RB's in this era of football isn't the way to a SB victory.

Hey, I wanted to ask, can you show me the survey sample of all the fans that would be PISSED beyond belief if they do this? 25-30 years ago I would have agreed an elite RB was important, but the league took off their leather helmets, put the emphsis on protecting and getting to the QB.
    I HAVE referred to the league MVP honors. And using that to diss the importance of RB’S is actually opposite of proving your premise. It's a silly canard...

I don’t buy the "Name the last league”... "MVP RB?” canard. Super Bowl MVP is not relevant because that is simply for one game performance, unlike the league MVP which is for the entire season.

The NFL MVP is mostly a QB award. And trying to denigrate the importance of the RB position because it’s been 10 years since the last time a RB won that award, can be said about every other position EXCEPT QB.

Does the fact that a WR has NEVER won NFL MVP means that the position is not valuable??? Or TE’s or ANY O-linemen....Safety....cornerback....since only one DL and one LB has ever won that award does that diminish their importance???

Of course not.

In fact, in the 55 years of the Super Bowl era, a QB has won it 40 times. The 15 times a QB has not won MVP, 12 have been RB. Of the three that won MVP but were not QB or RB, the only positions were, DT, Alan
    Page, 1971, K Mark Moseley, 1982, and LB Lawrence Taylor in 1986.

Since 2012 when Paterson won NFL MVP every single winner has been QB.

Since 2000, QB has won the award 19 of 23 times. The other four????....yeah....RB.
    You are also entitled to have wrong opinions too. And this is one of them.

You started a thread....”Bills Need a Philosophy Change”....maybe you should read whole essay you linked to and do so with an open mind.

It is 100% opposite of what you are suggesting. Drafting the highest rated OL/DL/CB in the first two rounds is not going to get the Bills a SB title.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

From Fox Sports: https://www.foxsports.com/nfl/damien-harris-player

Heading to Buffalo
    “The Bills and Harris agreed to terms on a one-year contract Monday, Adam Schefter of ESPN reports.
    Impact After losing Devin Singletary to the Texans earlier Monday, the Bills were in need of reinforcements at running back. Harris is the first to join holdovers James Cook and Nyheim Hines. Considering that Cook and Hines ring in at 190 and 196 pounds, respectively, the 5-foot-11, 213-pound Harris becomes the top candidate for early down and short-yardage work with his new squad.”
    He seems pretty damn happy to be here.

My first rule!!

He will make an impact IMO.

Thanks
    Thanked 11,469 Times in 7,086 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

He hits the hole fast and hard which means we will be getting rid of the rpo completely or at least with him in the backfield.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by justasportsfan View Post
    He hits the hole fast and hard which means we will be getting rid of the rpo completely or at least with him in the backfield.
    He's not a dancer he's a pounder and that's a big reason why I like him so much.

Stay healthy Damien and we'll do great things.

Always

25. Post thanked by:

Mad Bomber (05-14-2023)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I HAVE referred to the league MVP honors. And using that to diss the importance of RB’S is actually opposite of proving your premise. It's a silly canard...

You are also entitled to have wrong opinions too. And this is one of them.

You started a thread....”Bills Need a Philosophy Change”....maybe you should read whole essay you linked to and do so with an open mind.

It is 100% opposite of what you are suggesting. Drafting the highest rated OL/DL/CB in the first two rounds is not going to get the Bills a SB title.

Unlike you, I can read and post an article without being hypnotized by the writers words. I’m also glad you get to pick and choose someone’s opinion is right or wrong. Remember opinions are like buttholes and the all stink!
    Anyway, the writer did say the Bills need to draft a WR by the fourth round and I’m okay with that, it gives them plenty of time to draft quality linemen.

“It's time for those in charge to do the same thing. Off the field. The Bills now need to parlay a strong March into, you know, drafting a wide receiver before Round 4.” He didn’t say round one.

You are obviously distracted by shiny new toys, but games are won with good lines on both sides of the ball. You see what KC did with Hill, was to expensive and got rid of him. People thought they were crazy, but they added a couple lineman and signed an also ran at WR and still won. Look what they did this year, they replace there LT who was pretty good and got an even better won. That’s what winners do!

The article talked about McDermott change coaching philosophy, not Beane’s drafting philosophy, although his round 1-2 draft decisions are suspect! Are number 1-2 DE’s DT, and MLB got destroyed and the OL couldn’t open holes or give Allen time to throw in the Cincinnati game. If we don’t fix that, we can have the best WR’s in the league and the playoff results will be the same.

We aren’t rebuilding, we are in the window and you do risk cap hell later to win now. So yes break the bank sign the veteran WR, LB and send money on quality linemen not the walking wounded to fight for spots.

Finally I won’t insult you for your opinion, because it’s your opinion. Remember, it’s and opinion board not a noty decision on who’s opinion is right or wrong. Stop telling people their opinions are wrong. You can tell someone that says 2+2 =5 is wrong, but if they say blue is the prettiest color who the he’ll are you to tell them they’re wrong. Go up!

Thanks
    Thanked 13,409 Times in 9,123 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by justasportsfan View Post
    That's the same thing they said about Singletary.