• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • YardRat
    Well, lookie here...
    • Dec 2004

Re: Sherman blames Allen for Lamar situation

Originally posted by DraftBoy View Post
    They should be. Maximize all the earnings you can get given how short the average career is.
    That's not an entirely true narrative. "Maximizing earnings" within that narrow mindset ignores other potential lucrative revenue streams that might be available for 'winners'.
    YardRat Wall of Fame
    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• DraftBoy
      Administrator
      • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Novacane View Post
      So the ones who would rather take less to have a legit chance to win are dumb?
      Not going to call somebody dumb, especially when I don’t know their circumstances. But if it’s a decision between taking care of my family for generations to come or winning more games then that’s not a tough decision to make.

We’re asking players to literally take years off their lives for our entertainment and then we want to act all pissy because they want more money and ruin our fun? Count me out on that entire set of fake outrage.
      COMING SOON...
      Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
      We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• DraftBoy
        Administrator
        • Jul 2002

Originally posted by YardRat View Post
        That's not an entirely true narrative. "Maximizing earnings" within that narrow mindset ignores other potential lucrative revenue streams that might be available for 'winners'.
        When you can quantify that and show an actual cost benefit analysis then you have a point.
        COMING SOON...

Comment

• notacon
          • Aug 2012

Originally posted by jamze132 View Post
          The NFL and the NFLPA are a mess in regards to player “contracts”. I’d like to see all contracts fully guaranteed.
          That would effectively ruin the NFL. It probably could not survive being forced to pay the years long contacts for players that are not good enough to stay on the team or contribute to the quality of the team. It would cause league wide mediocrity instead of merit based employment.

At the least it would push down salaries for all players.

Comment

• notacon
            • Aug 2012

Originally posted by OpIv37 View Post
            Sherman is an idiot.

Both Allen and Mahomes got more guaranteed money than what Cousins got. And, guaranteeing $84 mil is a lot different than guaranteeing $258 mil or $450 mil.
            What is forgotten is that any “fully guaranteed” contract, that dollar amount that is “fully guaranteed” has to be deposited, in cash, in an escrow account.

Cousins did use the leverage to get a “fully guaranteed” contract. And that experience has made owners very hesitant to go down that perilous path.

Kirk Cousins is a good QB, but he’s simply not on the level of the elite QB’s like Brady (he never had a multi-year several hundred million dollar “fully guaranteed” contract), Rodgers, Mahomes, Allen, Burrow and on and on.

The Vikings handcuffed themselves with their “fully guaranteed” contract for an above average but by no means “elite” QB. The Athletic, in their annual “QB Tier” ranking had him accurately a “Tier 3” QB ranked #15 before the 2022 season.

The Browns (out of desperation and stupidity) made a HUGE mistake in their contract with Watson. It will probably come back to bite them in the ass. (It probably has already).

No NFL team should be stupid enough to give in to Lamar Jackson’s unrealistic demands. If he had a professional agent, he/she would have set him straight some time ago.

A NFL player acting as his own agent has a fool as a client. Jackson is a fool.

Comment

• notacon
              • Aug 2012

Originally posted by Novacane View Post
              Not every player is a greedy every last dollar I can get moron. A few actually care about winning.
              I have no problem with every NFL player getting “every last dollar" he can for a very short career.

They are neither “greedy” or “morons”.

I would do exactly the same if I were in their position, and I suspect that everyone here would too.

Winning a Super Bowl is a great achievement, but, the bonus money is only $157,000 per player...and a nice ring. And bragging rights.

Bragging rights do not pay for your kids college education, or pay for the years of health issues many players have for the rest of their lives after football. Yeah, caring about “winning” and doing so for “the team” is great and all. But not at the price of leaving millions on the table when the average career in the NFL is only three years.

Besides the chance that on any play you can be crippled for life, or worse.

Comment

• notacon
                • Aug 2012

Mainly for a tiny handful of superstars. The key word here is “potential”.

A lot of good “potential lucrative revenue streams” when your career is over after four five years or, worse yet, you are suffering from chronic traumatic encephalopathy that causes increased risk for depression, confusion, aggression and other mental health conditions.

Comment

• Goobylal
                  • Jan 2004

Originally posted by notacon View Post
                  What is forgotten is that any “fully guaranteed” contract, that dollar amount that is “fully guaranteed” has to be deposited, in cash, in an escrow account.

Cousins did use the leverage to get a “fully guaranteed” contract. And that experience has made owners very hesitant to go down that perilous path.

Kirk Cousins is a good QB, but he’s simply not on the level of the elite QB’s like Brady (he never had a multi-year several hundred million dollar “fully guaranteed” contract), Rodgers, Mahomes, Allen, Burrow and on and on.

The Vikings handcuffed themselves with their “fully guaranteed” contract for an above average but by no means “elite” QB. The Athletic, in their annual “QB Tier” ranking had him accurately a “Tier 3” QB ranked #15 before the 2022 season.

The Browns (out of desperation and stupidity) made a HUGE mistake in their contract with Watson. It will probably come back to bite them in the ass. (It probably has already).

No NFL team should be stupid enough to give in to Lamar Jackson’s unrealistic demands. If he had a professional agent, he/she would have set him straight some time ago.

A NFL player acting as his own agent has a fool as a client. Jackson is a fool.
                  An agent wouldn't have made a difference and probably would have fired him as a client. Once he saw Watson get that contract, that's all he wanted. And in the process he'll end up costing himself $50+M which he will never get back.

Comment

• Typ0
                    honey pie
                    • Jul 2002

The numbers all changed when Covid changed the cap situation on every team in the league. That money has to come from somewhere and ends up being projected in the future pretty heavily when the situation hits immediately.

Comment

• Ingtar33
                      Dances With Buffaloes
                      • Sep 2002

Originally posted by jamze132 View Post
                      The NFL and the NFLPA are a mess in regards to player “contracts”. I’d like to see all contracts fully guaranteed.
                      you can't have fully guaranteed contracts in a league with a hard cap. the players union has to figure out how to bust up the owners unity on this one and get the salary cap changed to a soft cap. once that happens the league will be much more amiable to guaranteed contracts.

Originally posted by Goobylal View Post
                      An agent wouldn't have made a difference and probably would have fired him as a client. Once he saw Watson get that contract, that's all he wanted. And in the process he'll end up costing himself $50+M which he will never get back.
                      actually i think his situation is fascinating. if i were the redskins or falcons or jets, i'd be all over lamar regardless his demands. imagine if it was the drought era bills. we'd be going nuts if lamar was out there like the ravens are dangling him. the fact none of those teams are going for him just underlines how unified the league owners are on this one. in fact i still can't wrap my mind around what the moronic jets are doing... chasing rogers when lamar is dangling out there? insane.
                      Last edited by Ingtar33; 03-25-2023, 08:49 PM.
                      My wife told me that if I had a dollar for every girl who found me unattractive, girls would find me VERY attractive.

MY WIFE SAID THAT!!!

Comment

• Goobylal
                        • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Ingtar33 View Post
                        you can't have fully guaranteed contracts in a league with a hard cap. the players union has to figure out how to bust up the owners unity on this one and get the salary cap changed to a soft cap. once that happens the league will be much more amiable to guaranteed contracts.
                        Never going to happen. A soft cap just means the owners end up spending more money.

actually i think his situation is fascinating. if i were the redskins or falcons or jets, i'd be all over lamar regardless his demands. imagine if it was the drought era bills. we'd be going nuts if lamar was out there like the ravens are dangling him. the fact none of those teams are going for him just underlines how unified the league owners are on this one. in fact i still can't wrap my mind around what the moronic jets are doing... chasing rogers when lamar is dangling out there? insane.
                        No one wants Lamar at his current demands. Especially since he's missed the last 5 games and first playoff game (if the team had made the playoffs in 2021) the past 2 seasons.

Comment

• DraftBoy
                          Administrator
                          • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Goobylal View Post
                          Never going to happen. A soft cap just means the owners end up spending more money.

No one wants Lamar at his current demands. Especially since he's missed the last 5 games and first playoff game (if the team had made the playoffs in 2021) the past 2 seasons.
                          You don’t know if that’s true. What we do know is that nobody wants him at the current compensation package that includes losing two first round picks.
                          COMING SOON...

Comment

• YardRat
                            Well, lookie here...
                            • Dec 2004

Originally posted by DraftBoy View Post
                            When you can quantify that and show an actual cost benefit analysis then you have a point.
                            Simply comparing endorsement examples of Mahomes vs Cousins and Watson should be sufficient.
                            YardRat Wall of Fame
                            #56 DARRYL TALLEY

Comment

• DraftBoy
                              Administrator
                              • Jul 2002

Simply comparing endorsement examples of Mahomes vs Cousins and Watson should be sufficient.
                              Then feel free to do so.
                              COMING SOON...

Comment

• YardRat
                                Well, lookie here...
                                • Dec 2004

"Forbes estimated that Mahomes earned $20 million in endorsements in 2022, trailing only Brady in off-field earnings."

"According to speculations, Cousins earns an estimated $2.5 million annually from endorsements alone. "

"Watson reportedly makes an estimated $8 million annually just from endorsement deals."
                                YardRat Wall of Fame
                                #56 DARRYL TALLEY

Comment

Working...
                                X