Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sherman blames Allen for Lamar situation

Registered User Forward_Lateral's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,061 Times in 4,265 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: Sherman blames Allen for Lamar situation

Lamar scored a 13 on the wonderlic.

He should not be negotiating his own contract. He can barely tie his own shoes.

2. Post thanked by:

Historian (03-29-2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,085 Times in 3,568 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by DraftBoy View Post
    You don’t know if that’s true. What we do know is that nobody wants him at the current compensation package that includes losing two first round picks.
    https://twitter.com/HolderStephen/st...618592256?s=20

4. Post thanked by:

notacon (03-28-2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,695 Times in 7,755 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I know anything is possible....but it sure looks like NO team wants to give Jackson a full guaranteed contract. It would be dumb to do so....just like it was dumb for Cleveland to kiss Watson’s as.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by notacon View Post
    I know anything is possible....but it sure looks like NO team wants to give Jackson a full guaranteed contract. It would be dumb to do so....just like it was dumb for Cleveland to kiss Watson’s as.
    No team wants to give him the contract he's demanding. If they did, the 2-1sts would be worth it since they'd probably be late 1sts.

7. Post thanked by:

Mace (03-28-2023),notacon (03-29-2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,932 Times in 3,488 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Goobylal View Post
    No team wants to give him the contract he's demanding. If they did, the 2-1sts would be worth it since they'd probably be late 1sts.
    I agree that's probably true. But the situation may be changing. Lamar is under the control of the Ravens. He can either sign his tag or sit and not get paid assuming he does not back off his prior contract demands. He has clearly scared teams off by his early talk about wanting to exceed Watson's guaranteed deal.

That was not going to happen for a guy that has trouble staying on the field. This is where Lamar NEEDS the services of an agent. The agent could discreetly call teams and let them know Lamar is no longer demanding Watson money. If this was a 5 year deal I think Lamar could save face and either resign with the Ravens or sign with the dozen or so teams that could use his services. The two 1st round picks is not the problem here. And the annual compensation would be north of 40m. To me that's the only good way out for Lamar.

9. Post thanked by:

Mace (03-28-2023),notacon (03-29-2023)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Cody View Post
    I agree that's probably true. But the situation may be changing. Lamar is under the control of the Ravens. He can either sign his tag or sit and not get paid assuming he does not back off his prior contract demands. He has clearly scared teams off by his early talk about wanting to exceed Watson's guaranteed deal.

That was not going to happen for a guy that has trouble staying on the field. This is where Lamar NEEDS the services of an agent. The agent could discreetly call teams and let them know Lamar is no longer demanding Watson money. If this was a 5 year deal I think Lamar could save face and either resign with the Ravens or sign with the dozen or so teams that could use his services. The two 1st round picks is not the problem here. And the annual compensation would be north of 40m. To me that's the only good way out for Lamar.
    He should have known awhile ago that by missing the last 1/3 of the season and into the playoffs the past 2 years that the Ravens wouldn't want to give him a huge long-term fully-guaranteed contract. But he doesn't, or at least didn't, seem to care/think it was an issue. And when they didn't, he took offense and demanded to be traded. The only thing that might have changed is after being allowed to shop his wares, he's finding out that no one else wants to pay him either. So he's stuck playing under the franchise tag because they're not going to be able to trade him and they're not giving him the contract he wants. And if he sits out, it's just tens of millions more he's costing himself by being foolish.

Thanks
    Thanked 12,388 Times in 7,272 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Forward_Lateral View Post

He's not. His mommy is.

Haha...yeah you think so ? Mace's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,490 Times in 9,187 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Lamar has no one to blame for the Lamar Situation besides Lamar. It's that simple.

13. Post thanked by:

notacon (03-29-2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,337 Times in 2,075 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

i dont get the hate lamar is getting, he's a good guy and he won an mvp, an award he deserved. he's been singlehandedly carrying an awful ravens team by himself. he deserves a 40-50mil per year deal.
    My wife told me that if I had a dollar for every girl who found me unattractive, girls would find me VERY attractive.

MY WIFE SAID THAT!!!

Thanks
    Thanked 24,441 Times in 14,158 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Ingtar33 View Post
    i dont get the hate lamar is getting, he's a good guy and he won an mvp, an award he deserved. he's been singlehandedly carrying an awful ravens team by himself. he deserves a 40-50mil per year deal.
    It's not hard to get. He's a star player who has been open about his contract displeasure which gets the whole "shut your mouth and play (for my own entertainment)" crowd up in their feelings. Then with his mother acting as his agent he has an entire subset of agents and advisors that leak stories to the press to try and trash his intelligence. We don't even need to get into the motivation behind the people who think making fun of his wonderlic score or the way he speaks is somehow appropriate and doesn't imply other feelings.

Jackson is a star QB and deserves to be paid as one. It's that simple.

But the majority of what you're going to hear at the same old tired voices that just say "shut up and play".
    COMING SOON...
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Lecter
    We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

2020-2023 AFC East Champions! Historian's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 28,243 Times in 15,407 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I never really thought very much of his ability as a qb.

HOWEVER, it seems to me that If this is the guy you thought would put you over the top a few years back, why are you, as an organization, taking such a hard line stance with him?

Franchise quarterbacks don't grow on trees.

See: Buffalo Bills, 2004-2017

Thanks
    Thanked 24,441 Times in 14,158 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Historian View Post
    I never really thought very much of his ability as a qb.

HOWEVER, it seems to me that If this is the guy you thought would put you over the top a few years back, why are you, as an organization, taking such a hard line stance with him?

Franchise quarterbacks don't grow on trees.

See: Buffalo Bills, 2004-2017
    Ravens still feel burned over that Flacco deal and yearn for the old days where they were able to win a Super Bowl with Trent Dilfer.

18. Post thanked by:

swiper (03-29-2023)

Retired - On Several Levels Night Train's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,240 Times in 7,618 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Dan Marino could tie 1 shoe. He scored a 15. Same score as Jim Kelly.

Most QB's don't have the IQ of Fitz. This just in...

Yes, he needs an agent..
    Last edited by Night Train; 03-29-2023 at 05:36 AM.
    Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Thanks
    Thanked 13,409 Times in 9,123 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

This is probably the smartest thing I've read on this forum, ever.
    I, too, have said this for years. But the issue with this is that QB pay rates would rise even quicker than they already are because you could not legally cap one person's ability to sell himself in the free market.

Thanks
    Thanked 13,409 Times in 9,123 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Ravens still feel burned over that Flacco deal and yearn for the old days where they were able to win a Super Bowl with Trent Dilfer.
    You have taken a unique way of distilling the Ravens view on the QB position. They rode (or will ride) Lamar Jackson for as long as they could/can on the current contract, then cut the cord.

The issue with Jackson will come down to one simple thing: he's asking for too much money. It's all boiled down to that here:

Lamar Jackson pushes back on the narrative that he’s an injury risk

It has been said, or rather asked, that "was the Deshaun Watson contract an outlier or the new norm for QB contracts?" IF Lamar Jackson gets what he is asking for, then the answer to that question is the latter. The NFL owners will each, individually fight against it. And as mentioned, Jackson will cry collusion, and then he'll be forced to go back to the Ravens for this year. What team in their right mind will pay one player that percentage of their entire roster? It doesn't make sense for team success.
    Last edited by swiper; 03-29-2023 at 05:43 AM.

Retired - On Several Levels Night Train's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,240 Times in 7,618 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

He should talk to Kirk Cousins, who played under the tag for 2 years .

It's OK to make 32 Mil for 1 year while awaiting your next deal.

Doesn't look like he has any other options until next year. Coaches all saying they are going in other directions with draft and cap concerns.

Does he actually need an agent now to tell him to sign the tag and take the $$ ??

Registered User Forward_Lateral's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,061 Times in 4,265 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Night Train View Post
    Dan Marino could tie 1 shoe. He scored a 15. Same score as Jim Kelly.

Most QB's don't have the IQ of Fitz. This just in...

Yes, he needs an agent..
    Those guys didn't try to negotiate their own contracts

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by swiper View Post
    I, too, have said this for years. But the issue with this is that QB pay rates would rise even quicker than they already are because you could not legally cap one person's ability to sell himself in the free market.
    What about a max contract like the NBA?

24. Post thanked by:

YardRat (03-29-2023)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

It's not hard to get. He's a star player who has been open about his contract displeasure which gets the whole "shut your mouth and play (for my own entertainment)" crowd up in their feelings. Then with his mother acting as his agent he has an entire subset of agents and advisors that leak stories to the press to try and trash his intelligence. We don't even need to get into the motivation behind the people who think making fun of his wonderlic score or the way he speaks is somehow appropriate and doesn't imply other feelings.

But the majority of what you're going to hear at the same old tired voices that just say "shut up and play".
    That's not it, at least for me. He deserves to be paid what other franchise QBs are getting. Should he demand a fully-guaranteed deal? No. He can ask but when it's clear no one is offering one, he should be more reasonable. So he'll rightfully be criticized, especially when it's costing him $40-50M that he'll never get back.

26. Post thanked by:

notacon (03-29-2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,695 Times in 7,755 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I don’t think that’s the case at all and pretty unfair.

It’s more accurate that the "majority of what you're going to hear” is that he should “shut up and get an agent”.

If he had a good agent, none of this would be happening, at least in public. Plus, I do not see anyone (here or in the press) saying that this is not
    true....”Jackson is a star QB and deserves to be paid as one”.

Sure looks like you are dishing up a straw man argument.

The issue is and always has been, that he wants a fully guaranteed contract. That is on a whole other solar system than thinking that he’s NOT “
    a star QB and deserves to be paid as one”.

Maybe you need to re-read the posts here. I don’t see anyone saying (or even suggesting) “shut up and play” or that he does not deserve to get paid as a “star QB” should.

28. Post thanked by:

Bill Cody (03-29-2023),Goobylal (03-29-2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,932 Times in 3,488 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Night Train View Post
    He should talk to Kirk Cousins, who played under the tag for 2 years .

It's OK to make 32 Mil for 1 year while awaiting your next deal.

Doesn't look like he has any other options until next year. Coaches all saying they are going in other directions with draft and cap concerns.

Does he actually need an agent now to tell him to sign the tag and take the $$ ??
    He doesn't need an agent to tell him to sign the tag. But there's no hurry for him to do that either. And the point of the agent has nothing to do with the tag. The agent can get him out from under the hole he's dug for himself. There are definitely teams willing to give Lamar a fair contract. Just not a 10 year fully guaranteed deal. That's fantasy.

30. Post thanked by:

notacon (03-29-2023)