Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sherman blames Allen for Lamar situation

Thanks
    Thanked 11,695 Times in 7,755 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: Sherman blames Allen for Lamar situation

Quote Originally Posted by Novacane View Post
    Not every player is a greedy every last dollar I can get moron. A few actually care about winning.
    I have no problem with every NFL player getting “every last dollar" he can for a very short career.

They are neither “greedy” or “morons”.

I would do exactly the same if I were in their position, and I suspect that everyone here would too.

Winning a Super Bowl is a great achievement, but, the bonus money is only $157,000 per player...and a nice ring. And bragging rights.

Bragging rights do not pay for your kids college education, or pay for the years of health issues many players have for the rest of their lives after football. Yeah, caring about “winning” and doing so for “the team” is great and all. But not at the price of leaving millions on the table when the average career in the NFL is only three years.

Besides the chance that on any play you can be crippled for life, or worse.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by YardRat View Post
    That's not an entirely true narrative. "Maximizing earnings" within that narrow mindset ignores other potential lucrative revenue streams that might be available for 'winners'.
    Mainly for a tiny handful of superstars. The key word here is “potential”.

A lot of good “potential lucrative revenue streams” when your career is over after four five years or, worse yet, you are suffering from chronic traumatic encephalopathy that causes increased risk for depression, confusion, aggression and other mental health conditions.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,086 Times in 3,569 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by notacon View Post
    What is forgotten is that any “fully guaranteed” contract, that dollar amount that is “fully guaranteed” has to be deposited, in cash, in an escrow account.

Cousins did use the leverage to get a “fully guaranteed” contract. And that experience has made owners very hesitant to go down that perilous path.

Kirk Cousins is a good QB, but he’s simply not on the level of the elite QB’s like Brady (he never had a multi-year several hundred million dollar “fully guaranteed” contract), Rodgers, Mahomes, Allen, Burrow and on and on.

The Vikings handcuffed themselves with their “fully guaranteed” contract for an above average but by no means “elite” QB. The Athletic, in their annual “QB Tier” ranking had him accurately a “Tier 3” QB ranked #15 before the 2022 season.

The Browns (out of desperation and stupidity) made a HUGE mistake in their contract with Watson. It will probably come back to bite them in the ass. (It probably has already).

No NFL team should be stupid enough to give in to Lamar Jackson’s unrealistic demands. If he had a professional agent, he/she would have set him straight some time ago.

A NFL player acting as his own agent has a fool as a client. Jackson is a fool.
    An agent wouldn't have made a difference and probably would have fired him as a client. Once he saw Watson get that contract, that's all he wanted. And in the process he'll end up costing himself $50+M which he will never get back.

4. Post thanked by:

notacon (03-26-2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,793 Times in 1,206 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

The numbers all changed when Covid changed the cap situation on every team in the league. That money has to come from somewhere and ends up being projected in the future pretty heavily when the situation hits immediately.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,337 Times in 2,075 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by jamze132 View Post
    The NFL and the NFLPA are a mess in regards to player “contracts”. I’d like to see all contracts fully guaranteed.
    you can't have fully guaranteed contracts in a league with a hard cap. the players union has to figure out how to bust up the owners unity on this one and get the salary cap changed to a soft cap. once that happens the league will be much more amiable to guaranteed contracts.

Quote Originally Posted by Goobylal View Post
    An agent wouldn't have made a difference and probably would have fired him as a client. Once he saw Watson get that contract, that's all he wanted. And in the process he'll end up costing himself $50+M which he will never get back.
    actually i think his situation is fascinating. if i were the redskins or falcons or jets, i'd be all over lamar regardless his demands. imagine if it was the drought era bills. we'd be going nuts if lamar was out there like the ravens are dangling him. the fact none of those teams are going for him just underlines how unified the league owners are on this one. in fact i still can't wrap my mind around what the moronic jets are doing... chasing rogers when lamar is dangling out there? insane.
    Last edited by Ingtar33; 03-25-2023 at 08:49 PM.
    My wife told me that if I had a dollar for every girl who found me unattractive, girls would find me VERY attractive.

MY WIFE SAID THAT!!!

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Ingtar33 View Post
    you can't have fully guaranteed contracts in a league with a hard cap. the players union has to figure out how to bust up the owners unity on this one and get the salary cap changed to a soft cap. once that happens the league will be much more amiable to guaranteed contracts.
    Never going to happen. A soft cap just means the owners end up spending more money.

actually i think his situation is fascinating. if i were the redskins or falcons or jets, i'd be all over lamar regardless his demands. imagine if it was the drought era bills. we'd be going nuts if lamar was out there like the ravens are dangling him. the fact none of those teams are going for him just underlines how unified the league owners are on this one. in fact i still can't wrap my mind around what the moronic jets are doing... chasing rogers when lamar is dangling out there? insane.
    No one wants Lamar at his current demands. Especially since he's missed the last 5 games and first playoff game (if the team had made the playoffs in 2021) the past 2 seasons.

Thanks
    Thanked 24,442 Times in 14,159 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Never going to happen. A soft cap just means the owners end up spending more money.

No one wants Lamar at his current demands. Especially since he's missed the last 5 games and first playoff game (if the team had made the playoffs in 2021) the past 2 seasons.
    You don’t know if that’s true. What we do know is that nobody wants him at the current compensation package that includes losing two first round picks.
    COMING SOON...
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Lecter
    We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Thanks
    Thanked 30,530 Times in 17,423 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by DraftBoy View Post
    When you can quantify that and show an actual cost benefit analysis then you have a point.
    Simply comparing endorsement examples of Mahomes vs Cousins and Watson should be sufficient.
    YardRat Wall of Fame
    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Simply comparing endorsement examples of Mahomes vs Cousins and Watson should be sufficient.
    Then feel free to do so.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

"Forbes estimated that Mahomes earned $20 million in endorsements in 2022, trailing only Brady in off-field earnings."

"According to speculations, Cousins earns an estimated $2.5 million annually from endorsements alone. "

"Watson reportedly makes an estimated $8 million annually just from endorsement deals."

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

"Forbes estimated that Mahomes earned $20 million in endorsements in 2022, trailing only Brady in off-field earnings."

"According to speculations, Cousins earns an estimated $2.5 million annually from endorsements alone. "

"Watson reportedly makes an estimated $8 million annually just from endorsement deals."
    Estimates are just guesses not quantied numbers that can be used in a cost benefit analysis. Try again.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

They are sufficient for the discussion. If you want to claim Mahomes doesn't make more annually in endorsements than Cousins and Watson, have at it.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

They are sufficient for the discussion. If you want to claim Mahomes doesn't make more annually in endorsements than Cousins and Watson, have at it.
    Negative, it is in no way sufficient. Since I made no claim either way, it’s not something I can have at.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

You don’t know if that’s true. What we do know is that nobody wants him at the current compensation package that includes losing two first round picks.
    No one is giving a 5-year $50M+/year fully guaranteed deal for a guy who who hasn't been able to finish the last 2 seasons and whose game is predicated on running, which opens him up to injury. The 2-1st rounders just makes it a no-brainer.

16. Post thanked by:

notacon (03-26-2023)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Probably correct. No agent wants a fool for a client.

Jackson is a special talent, but he is not a Tier One elite QB. Probably never will be. His greatest asset is his running ability, not this ability to read defenses and win a game from the pocket.

He has shown himself to be injury prone and he shrinks when the game is on the line in the playoffs. The most the Ravens have scored in a playoff game since Jackson has been on the team was only 20 points, in 2020 vs Tennessee in his only playoff win vs three losses.

He passed for only 179 yard that game vs running for 136. His biggest plays of the game were running plays. A 48 yard (amazing) run for a TD to tie it at 10 each late in the second half, and a 23 yard run on 3rd & 2 from the Titans 44 yard line to set up a go ahead TD by Dobbins in the 3rd Q.

The three losses Baltimore scored only 17, 12 & 3 points (the 3 points was vs the Bills).

They missed the playoffs in 2021 became he could not stay on the field. And he missed the end to the 2022 season too. Huntley had that game vs Cincy won until the ill timed fumble on the goal line that instead of going ahead 24-17, they fell behind by the same score which was the final score of the game.

It’s obvious that no team wants to deal with his crap and have to give up two first round picks for the right to get into a contract debacle fight with an amateur agent.

Maybe that will change. I sure would not want him on my team.

18. Post thanked by:

Goobylal (03-26-2023)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

No one is giving a 5-year $50M+/year fully guaranteed deal for a guy who who hasn't been able to finish the last 2 seasons and whose game is predicated on running, which opens him up to injury. The 2-1st rounders just makes it a no-brainer.
    I don’t think it’s likely either, but we simply don’t know that for a fact yet because the full compensation is beyond just his contract.

2020-2023 AFC East Champions! Historian's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 28,249 Times in 15,411 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I would like to see the Starting quarterback's salary excluded from the cap.

21. Post thanked by:

swiper (03-29-2023)

Registered User Forward_Lateral's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,061 Times in 4,265 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Historian View Post
    This is probably the smartest thing I've read on this forum, ever.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Really?!?!?

The realistic result (and it has to be said that this idea would never in a million years be enacted) would be small market teams like the Bills NEVER having a good QB.

The most profitable and cash rich teams (Dallas & NE for example) would gobble up every elite QB. It would result in exactly what the NFL has tried to avoid at all costs....a two tiered league with a few dynasties and a bunch of also-rans.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,793 Times in 1,206 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

That would defeat the purpose of the cap might as well just do away with it!

- - - Updated - - -

I don’t think it’s likely either, but we simply don’t know that for a fact yet because the full compensation is beyond just his contract.
    What else? Endorsements? Those aren't relevant in this discussion about what gets him to play for a team.