Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: McD on the AFCE for '23

Thanks
    Thanked 30,468 Times in 17,375 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

McD on the AFCE for '23

https://www.nfl.com/news/bills-head-...n-for-2023-sea

Bill head coach Sean McDermott is aware of Buffalo's opponents getting better during free agency. Speaking with NFL Network's Judy Battista at the Annual League Meeting on Saturday, McDermott opened up about the loaded AFC East in 2023.

"Yeah, we have a tremendous amount of respect for them," McDermott said. "Not only at the coach level but at the talent level they've been able to accrue. You look across the division, and to your point, it's impressive. So, we have to make sure we continue to reinvent ourselves to stay on top of the division."
    YardRat Wall of Fame
    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Thanks
    Thanked 24,427 Times in 14,146 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: McD on the AFCE for '23

Not that he would have answered, but I wish she asked if he thinks the Bills got better or worse during free agency.
    COMING SOON...
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Lecter
    We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Thanks
    Thanked 13,409 Times in 9,123 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by DraftBoy View Post
    Not that he would have answered, but I wish she asked if he thinks the Bills got better or worse during free agency.
    Oh that's not a fair question. What's he supposed to say? He lost some home-grown and "core" players to his team in free agency. They made no splash in free agency. Do you really expect him to say that they did not get better? He would have likely said to you, "wait and see," which is what he should do.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by swiper View Post
    Oh that's not a fair question. What's he supposed to say? He lost some home-grown and "core" players to his team in free agency. They made no splash in free agency. Do you really expect him to say that they did not get better? He would have likely said to you, "wait and see," which is what he should do.
    It’s absolutely a fair question. And I would expect him to give a complete non-answer. Every coach would, which is an unfortunate reality.

Do you think we got better or worse this far?

Thanks
    Thanked 26,214 Times in 13,680 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

It’s absolutely a fair question. And I would expect him to give a complete non-answer. Every coach would, which is an unfortunate reality.

Worse. We lost Edmunds, who is overrated and overpaid now, but we still don’t have anyone better. We didn’t gain anyone significant. Every team in the Div gained ground on us.

2021 should have been the year. We had talent and stayed healthy. But we blew it in the playoffs against KC.

This year is going to be a lot tougher than the last 3 years were.

6. Post thanked by:

Lone Stranger (03-26-2023),Mace (03-26-2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 12,356 Times in 7,251 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

If the defense gets more aggressive with Frazier gone I think they got better. I don't think Edmunds is a huge loss. Depending on who they replace him with it could be a wash.

8. Post thanked by:

Mace (03-26-2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 12,356 Times in 7,251 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

They probably upgraded the WR. Harris brings something Singletary didn't. Hopefully the OL is better. I think our rivals getting better is a bigger worry than the Bills losses.

10. Post thanked by:

notacon (03-26-2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,285 Times in 3,777 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Thanks
    Thanked 11,636 Times in 7,706 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by OpIv37 View Post
    Worse. We lost Edmunds, who is overrated and overpaid now, but we still don’t have anyone better. We didn’t gain anyone significant. Every team in the Div gained ground on us.

2021 should have been the year. We had talent and stayed healthy. But we blew it in the playoffs against KC.

This year is going to be a lot tougher than the last 3 years were.
    Not a surprising Negative Nancy take from you Opi. You have never been positive for the Bills chances and before and du​ring the 2021 season (and even LATE into that season) your negativity was just as strong and unhinged as it almost always is.

It’s way too early to determine if the Bills are “better or worse so far” because the off season is not even close to being over with.

You won’t be surprised to hear that I think the Bills have gotten better overall. Even at this early date.

The upgraded some of the biggest problem areas at RB, LG, S and WR depth.

NO
    other team in the AFCE has gained anything on the Bills at THE most important position...QB. Josh Allen is clearly the best QB in the division even IF Rodgers decides to come out of his lotus position and get himself traded to the Jets.

I also believe that Josh Allen will come back from an uneven season and show why he is an elite QB (#2 behind only Mahomes but right on his doorstep) with an unearthly skill set.

Re-signing Poyer with a very team friendly contract is HUGE. Getting Hyde back is HUGE. Elam with a year under his belt is HUGE. Tre’ White starting the season back to his usual stellar form is HUGE. Getting Von Miller back (even if only later in the season when we really need him) is HUGE!!

Harris brings a dimension to the Bills running game that has been glaringly missing...a tough, physical running back that can get the tough yards even without relying on Josh. James Cook with a year under his belt (and looking better and better as the season progressed) is HUGE. Getting Hines more involved in the offense (now that Singletary is gone) is HUGE.

The Bills picked up speed and depth in the WR room with Harty and (to a lesser extent) Sherfield. Conor McGovern solves the issue at LG. Spencer Brown, with another year under his belt and being pushed with competition (hopefully) will solidify the right side of the line.

The draft is going to present the Bills with opportunities to pick up an impact player, probably at WR when they finally get their collective heads out of their butts and spend a 1st or 2nd round pick on a WR.

EVERY year is tough.

I do not see anything that will ultimately threaten the Bills continuing their reign as champs of the AFCE.

Its like I predicted their records the past two years almost spot on (while your predictions fell woefully short) the Bills are going to do much better than you predict...which is your usual sourpuss loser talk.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,070 Times in 3,555 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Yeah but he doesn't know it for a fact...

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Goobylal View Post
    Yeah but he doesn't know it for a fact...
    Well yeah, the response would be subjective. That’s pretty inherent though isn’t it?

Thanks
    Thanked 5,070 Times in 3,555 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Well yeah, the response would be subjective. That’s pretty inherent though isn’t it?
    Pretty much everything we say here is subjective since we don't know anything with 100% certainty. It's pretty much implied.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Goobylal View Post
    Pretty much everything we say here is subjective since we don't know anything with 100% certainty. It's pretty much implied.
    Yes depending on what one says or the claims that one makes. I’d stay away from trying to imply much though. Direct and clear is always better online.

Haha...yeah you think so ? Mace's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,471 Times in 9,175 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Continue to reinvent ourselves......I must have missed the other times. Seems to me they always do the same stuff with different players.

18. Post thanked by:

sahlensguy (03-26-2023)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by notacon View Post
    Not a surprising Negative Nancy take from you Opi. You have never been positive for the Bills chances and before and du​ring the 2021 season (and even LATE into that season) your negativity was just as strong and unhinged as it almost always is.

It’s way too early to determine if the Bills are “better or worse so far” because the off season is not even close to being over with.

You won’t be surprised to hear that I think the Bills have gotten better overall. Even at this early date.

The upgraded some of the biggest problem areas at RB, LG, S and WR depth.

NO
    other team in the AFCE has gained anything on the Bills at THE most important position...QB. Josh Allen is clearly the best QB in the division even IF Rodgers decides to come out of his lotus position and get himself traded to the Jets.

I also believe that Josh Allen will come back from an uneven season and show why he is an elite QB (#2 behind only Mahomes but right on his doorstep) with an unearthly skill set.

Re-signing Poyer with a very team friendly contract is HUGE. Getting Hyde back is HUGE. Elam with a year under his belt is HUGE. Tre’ White starting the season back to his usual stellar form is HUGE. Getting Von Miller back (even if only later in the season when we really need him) is HUGE!!

Harris brings a dimension to the Bills running game that has been glaringly missing...a tough, physical running back that can get the tough yards even without relying on Josh. James Cook with a year under his belt (and looking better and better as the season progressed) is HUGE. Getting Hines more involved in the offense (now that Singletary is gone) is HUGE.

The Bills picked up speed and depth in the WR room with Harty and (to a lesser extent) Sherfield. Conor McGovern solves the issue at LG. Spencer Brown, with another year under his belt and being pushed with competition (hopefully) will solidify the right side of the line.

The draft is going to present the Bills with opportunities to pick up an impact player, probably at WR when they finally get their collective heads out of their butts and spend a 1st or 2nd round pick on a WR.

EVERY year is tough.

I do not see anything that will ultimately threaten the Bills continuing their reign as champs of the AFCE.

Its like I predicted their records the past two years almost spot on (while your predictions fell woefully short) the Bills are going to do much better than you predict...which is your usual sourpuss loser talk.
    Well, let’s be honest.

Neither of us were right this past season. You predicted the Bills would win the SB. I predicted their ceiling was a WC and first round loss.

In reality, they split the difference. They won the Div and won a playoff game, which is two steps better than what I predicted. But they lost in the Div round, which is two steps short of what you predicted.

We’re probably both wrong again.

20. Post thanked by:

Mace (03-26-2023)

Haha...yeah you think so ? Mace's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,471 Times in 9,175 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Well, let’s be honest.

Neither of us were right this past season. You predicted the Bills would win the SB. I predicted their ceiling was a WC and first round loss.

In reality, they split the difference. They won the Div and won a playoff game, which is two steps better than what I predicted. But they lost in the Div round, which is two steps short of what you predicted.

I'm leaning your way....I don't think they've sustained their window of success well enough unless McDermott finds some balls to the wall he hasn't demonstrated in 6 years.

22. Post thanked by:

OpIv37 (03-27-2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,636 Times in 7,706 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Well, let’s be honest.

If that makes you feel better for your sustained, over-the-top continual extremely negative attitude toward the Bills for years, have at it.

I accurately predated 3 or 4 losses last season (and pretty much nailed what they would be), you barely had them over .500. Before the season, you had the Bills starting 2-5, I predicted 5-2 (they went 6-1).

After the heartbreaking Minny loss, you predicted an unrecoverable downward spiral and not winning the AFCE. I predicted, 100% accurately, a six game win streak before the Monday night Cincy game.

In 2021 I nailed the 13-3 record right on the nose, you had the Bills (again) barely over .500. All of the posts from 2021 (and before) and early 2022 season are gone, they would show that your predictions had about a 90%+ fail rate.

When one puts forth negative after negative after negative predictions over and over and over again, the rules of chance result being “right” once in a while.

It’s an extremely EASY to predict.....’the Bills will not win a SB this (or any other) season. If you want to take pride in that....that’s your problem.

Retired - On Several Levels Night Train's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,240 Times in 7,618 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

You're kidding, right ?

Why ask questions when the answer is always going to be coachspeak ?
    Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Night Train View Post
    You're kidding, right ?

Why ask questions when the answer is always going to be coachspeak ?
    To get it on the record and you never know when somebody could break and say something interesting.

26. Post thanked by:

Mace (03-28-2023)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by notacon View Post
    If that makes you feel better for your sustained, over-the-top continual extremely negative attitude toward the Bills for years, have at it.

I accurately predated 3 or 4 losses last season (and pretty much nailed what they would be), you barely had them over .500. Before the season, you had the Bills starting 2-5, I predicted 5-2 (they went 6-1).

After the heartbreaking Minny loss, you predicted an unrecoverable downward spiral and not winning the AFCE. I predicted, 100% accurately, a six game win streak before the Monday night Cincy game.

In 2021 I nailed the 13-3 record right on the nose, you had the Bills (again) barely over .500. All of the posts from 2021 (and before) and early 2022 season are gone, they would show that your predictions had about a 90%+ fail rate.

When one puts forth negative after negative after negative predictions over and over and over again, the rules of chance result being “right” once in a while.

It’s an extremely EASY to predict.....’the Bills will not win a SB this (or any other) season. If you want to take pride in that....that’s your problem.
    Just remember, you’re the guy who spent the last 8 months trying to convince everyone that Edmunds is a star player and that we should keep him.

Well, he’s gone and we haven’t found anyone equal or better.

Mayb I’m too negative, but we just lost a player that you were constantly defending, yet you don’t seem to understand that it made the team worse. It’s a weird cognitive disconnect.