McDermott to Call Defense in 2023

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ParanoidAndroid
    My battery is low and it's getting dark.
    • Apr 2004

Re: McDermott to Call Defense in 2023

Both Super Bowl defenses started 3 LBs.

One sentence vs your whole rambling word vomiting.

Comment

• Mace
      Haha...yeah you think so ?
      • Mar 2013

Originally posted by ParanoidAndroid View Post
      He picked his DC.

I just don't see the departure of both Frazier and the LB that lynch pinned the 4-2-5 as a coincidence.

I think the 4-2-5 gets phased out and we get back to playing a 3rd LB.

And I think something more resembling the aggression of Carolina's defense, circa 2015-16, is what we get.
      I hope you're right...but McD started his clenching in Carolina because he had Kuechly and Davis....he could let Kuechly reliably roam....while taking care of anything else. That was the intention with Edmunds and this is uncharted territory outside his comfort zone. I'd prefer a 3rd lb....suspect he prefers a safety for conservative.

We'lll find out. I don't think McD has the guts to change or he would have entering the 7th year of a process.

Comment

• notacon
        • Aug 2012

Both Super Bowl defenses started 3 LBs.

One sentence vs your whole rambling word vomiting.
        How silly. Well thought out and reasoned posts take more than a bumper sticker to explain.

Whether any Super Bowl defenses “started 3 LB’s” or not is totally irrelevant.

In fact, a “KC Nation” site in a preview of the 2022 season had this to say about “starting 3 LBs”...."The traditional, three-linebacker sets are far from the true “base” personnel of the defense; last season, only 27% of their defensive snaps came with four defensive backs on the field — which was still the 10th-highest rate in the NFL, per Football Outsiders."

The FACT is that nickel and dime defenses have been steadily growing as THE defensive go-to for more and more snaps.

In 2008, the percentage of snaps over the whole NFL that had five or more defensive backs averaged 43.4% That steadily increased every year so that by 2015, it was up to 63.4%

In 2021 that percentage was 75%.

The team with the highest percentage of nickel and dime snap count was Dallas at 98%, followed closely by Buffalo with 95%.

The Bills led the league in nickel snap count with 92%.

Nickel and dime defenses are now the overwhelming norm in the NFL and the new “base defense”.

In Buffalo, the idea of taking Taron Johnson, who was their most steady and dependable CB last season, OFF THE FIELD and replace him with a LB that we do not have is absurd beyond measure.

Of course what you stupidly dismiss as "rambling word vomiting” shows unequivocally how the Bills are responding to the loss of Edmunds...concentrating on bolstering the secondary....and the idea that they will abandon the nickel as their “base” defense and regularly have 3 LB’s is not supported by the facts or any kind of reasonable logic or common sense.

The idea that your “one
        sentence” bumper sticker of irrelevance trumps the well reasoned and accurate analysis backed up with facts is really ludicrous.

Comment

• ParanoidAndroid
          • Apr 2004

*pfft

Comment

• notacon
            • Aug 2012

*pfft
            What a snappy response.

ALL the evidence points to 3-LB defenses in the NFL going the way of the leather helmet and the Bills setting up their whole defensive strategy and personal decisions and 95% usage of nickel and dime defenses to NOT going backwards to a 3-LB defense and bucking the NFL trend.

Just because you made a rather uneducated prediction that "I think the 4-2-5 gets phased out and we get back to playing a 3rd LB.” and literally having nothing to refute my astute and accurate analysis...instead of possibly rethinking your premise with the reasonable logic that you may have been...uhhh.....hasty in such a statement.

You come up with
            “*pfft”.

Wow. The lengths some will go to avoid admitting an obvious mistake never ceases to astound.

Comment

• Typ0
              honey pie
              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by notacon View Post
              What a snappy response.

ALL the evidence points to 3-LB defenses in the NFL going the way of the leather helmet and the Bills setting up their whole defensive strategy and personal decisions and 95% usage of nickel and dime defenses to NOT going backwards to a 3-LB defense and bucking the NFL trend.

Just because you made a rather uneducated prediction that "I think the 4-2-5 gets phased out and we get back to playing a 3rd LB.” and literally having nothing to refute my astute and accurate analysis...instead of possibly rethinking your premise with the reasonable logic that you may have been...uhhh.....hasty in such a statement.

You come up with
              “*pfft”.

Wow. The lengths some will go to avoid admitting an obvious mistake never ceases to astound.
              pfft is the sound of opening a beer.

Comment

• notacon
                • Aug 2012

Originally posted by Typ0 View Post
                pfft is the sound of opening a beer.
                No, it’s not. Not on a message board.

Comment

• ParanoidAndroid
                  • Apr 2004

We love watching you fling yourself against the cage walls

Comment

• ParanoidAndroid
                    • Apr 2004

If we led the league last year in nickel defense, if our DC is out and the LB who allowed us to do so is gone, do you think we might scale that back?

Of course, we actually have to have a LB who can play Edmunds' position. But will we find one? Is it Milano?

There are teams we will have to play mostly nickel against, and others we will not.

If we lead the league again in nickel and fail to limit playoff offenses again, then what?

McDermott likes to play an attacking style of defense and generate turnovers.

Now that he is calling the D, it will be completely his.

Does he view Taylor Rapp as a hybrid capable of playing like an off ball LB with an increased ability to cover shifty WRs?

I don't think we'll get away with Taron Johnson playing so many short yardage downs. I also think he took a beating last year and played through it.

Poyer took a beating, too.

Something tells me Taylor Rapp wasn't brought in to ride the bench and my money says he's an insurance policy against a hybrid S/LB who gets drafted. I don't think Bernard is the guy they were looking for.
                    Last edited by ParanoidAndroid; 04-08-2023, 02:22 PM.

Comment

• Typ0
                      honey pie
                      • Jul 2002

There actually was a very long and involved conversation here on this message board where the question was asked how to voice the sound of a beer opening on a message board. pfft is what they came up with.

Comment

• notacon
                        • Aug 2012

There actually was a very long and involved conversation here on this message board where the question was asked how to voice the sound of a beer opening on a message board. pfft is what they came up with.
                        Never saw that and I don’t care.

Comment

• notacon
                          • Aug 2012

If we led the league last year in nickel defense, if our DC is out and the LB who allowed us to do so is gone, do you think we might scale that back?

Of course, we actually have to have a LB who can play Edmunds' position. But will we find one? Is it Milano?

There are teams we will have to play mostly nickel against, and others we will not.

If we lead the league again in nickel and fail to limit playoff offenses again, then what?

McDermott likes to play an attacking style of defense and generate turnovers.

Now that he is calling the D, it will be completely his.

Does he view Taylor Rapp as a hybrid capable of playing like an off ball LB with an increased ability to cover shifty WRs?

I don't think we'll get away with Taron Johnson playing so many short yardage downs. I also think he took a beating last year and played through it.

Poyer took a beating, too.

Something tells me Taylor Rapp wasn't brought in to ride the bench and my money says he's an insurance policy against a hybrid S/LB who gets drafted. I don't think Bernard is the guy they were looking for.
                          Nope. It’s more likely with the signing of Taylor Rapp that we may see an increase in DIME coverage, and more single LB defenses. Your opinion that you just expressed....

Something tells me Taylor Rapp wasn't brought in to ride the bench and my money says he's an insurance policy against a hybrid S/LB who gets drafted. I don't think Bernard is the guy they were looking for.” is opposite of the “getting back to 3rd LB” premise that I have objected to.

We will see soon enough.

The point is that the idea of “....the 4-2-5 gets phased out and we get back to playing a 3rd LB.” is extremely unlikely with the Bills not being able to field 2 LB’s (much less 3) that are better than fielding five or six DB’s.

The loss of Edmunds makes the nickel (and probably more dimes) even more critical to
                          success, spearheaded by the safety position which they have been doing for years, and every action by Beane (so far) is pointing in that direction.

The Bills strength on defense are the DB’s. NOT LB anymore. With the undeniable and unstoppable movement away from 3 or 4 LB’s on the field and the common sense prediction is to de-emphasize the importance of ILB (which is happening all around the NFL) and concentrate on bolstering the secondary...whch is exactly what the Bills are doing.

Comment

• Typ0
                            honey pie
                            • Jul 2002

Never saw that and I don’t care.
                            You don't care about the context of anything.

Comment

• Mace
                              Haha...yeah you think so ?
                              • Mar 2013

Don't even bother...it's useless.

Comment

• notacon
                                • Aug 2012

Actually writing this shows that YOU don’t care about the context of anything.

Comment

Working...
                                X