• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • swiper
    • Sep 2010

Re: You be The Beane

Originally posted by Goobylal View Post
    I don't listen to "there is no 1st round rated MLB" or "he would be a reach" talk. There is no foolproof ranking of draftees, otherwise there would be no 1st round busts. Trust your scouting and take a player where you think he should be taken.
    Trust your scouts?

Mike Williams
    Walt Patulsky
    Aaron Maybin
    Erik Flowers
    EJ Manuel
    JP Losman
    Cody Ford
    Tom Cousineau
    John McCargo

Shall I continue?

Comment

• Woodman
      Legendary Zoner
      • Apr 2014

Originally posted by Clumpy View Post
      Torrence
      He's been mocked to us very consistently .... I'm very ok with that pick.

“It breaks your heart when someone leaves and you don’t know why.”

"It may be raining but there's a rainbow above you"

Former President Donald Trump early Thursday touted the results of a new NPR/PBSNewsHour/Marist poll showing him ahead of President Joe Biden by 8 percentage points among independents.

Comment

• Woodman
        Legendary Zoner
        • Apr 2014

Yeah he's 6'5" and 249# and runs a 4.65, with a 6.74 3-cone (that's what WRs and DBs get). Seems to have the instincts. Could probably be faster dropping a few pounds and getting into an NFL S&C program. But few people have him as a 1st rounder so I don't know.
        He's always in position it seems ..... he's one of about 3 LB's that I'd be happy to have.

Ballhawk great great instincts.

Former President Donald Trump early Thursday touted the results of a new NPR/PBSNewsHour/Marist poll showing him ahead of President Joe Biden by 8 percentage points among independents.

Comment

• notacon
          • Aug 2012

Yeah he's 6'5" and 249# and runs a 4.65, with a 6.74 3-cone (that's what WRs and DBs get). Seems to have the instincts. Could probably be faster dropping a few pounds and getting into an NFL S&C program. But few people have him as a 1st rounder so I don't know.
          Jack Campbell would be a reach in round one. Sure the Bills could use #27 on him, but I doubt it.

If none of the WR's are on the board that they have pegged, and they have Campbell on their radar screen (which they should), best to trade back into the second round. The only question is how far back and still ensure he will be there.

The other strategy is to pick WR in round one, especially if what’s there at #27 is a good fit, and then trade up from #59 to get him. Of course, the best scenario is to draft a WR that can come in immediately and compete for the #2 WR slot (or at the least push the **** out of Davis) AND get Campbell at #59.

Beane has shown he will trade his ass off if necessary to get who he wants. I was kind of surprised he traded up to get Elam last year. It was obvious why he traded back twice before selecting James Cook. Even then, it was a slight reach to take him at #63. I suspect he would have traded back again if he could have found a buyer.

Comment

• notacon
            • Aug 2012

BTW....here is thecoaching intel” on Zay Flowers from The Athletic’s latest mock draft. They have him going #19 to Tampa Bay.

Whether Baker Mayfield or Kyle Trask can prove to be the answer at QB in the post-Tom Brady era, the Bucs need to upgrade at receiver. While the idea of picking an OT here might be tempting, Flowers is too good to pass up. I could see there being some consideration here for USC’s Jordan Addison, but the hunch is that Flowers is the most complete prospect, although both are undersized. The 5 feet 9, 182-pound Flowers, who only has 29 1/4-inch arms but does have 4.42 speed and a 10-7 broad jump, proved to be a one-man wrecking crew for BC despite not having many offensive pieces around him in 2022. He caught 56 passes for 892 yards and nine TDs despite being the main focus of rival defenses.

The Coaching Intel

“He’s a dude. There were times where we had him doubled and he still caught a touchdown pass on us. What do you do? He’s electric and has really good ball skills. If you don’t double him, he’s gonna double-move the s— out of you. He’s a strong little wide receiver from a blocking standpoint as well as after the catch. We recruited him and we thought he was a great human being, always smiling. Loved that kid.”

“He was awesome. Last year, their quarterback (Phil Jurkovec) was hurt; their O-line wasn’t a typical BC offensive line, and he almost single-handedly beat teams. He plays really hard. He can play slot or outside. He’s a great route-runner, really good after the catch. I think he’s a tough kid, too. Zay became really hard to double. They motioned him, would put him in the backfield, put him in the No. 1 spot, the No. 2 spot. I thought the BC OC (John McNulty) did a great job with him last year.”
            Sounds like a perfect fit for the Bills.

Comment

• notacon
              • Aug 2012

Here is how Bruce Feldman (the author) describes his strategy for mock drafts....

After spending the last two months talking to college football coaches and NFL sources, I put together my third annual first-round NFL mock draft based on those evaluations and the needs of each team.

The draft evaluation process is an inexact science, but what I strive to do with this project is provide unique insight into each of the players, as the analysis comes directly from the coaches who have scouted, game-planned for and played them. Those sources, granted anonymity to speak freely about the prospects, know exactly what they’re dealing with and what they’ve tried to do to them in real game situations — and how it all turned out.

Comment

• Woodman
                Legendary Zoner
                • Apr 2014

Report: Odell Beckham, Jr. is thought to now be looking for $15 million on a one-year deal

OBJ’s price is dropping. It hasn’t dropped enough for him to get a deal. Yet.
                Via Rich Cimini of ESPN.com, Beckham is currently thought to be looking for $15 million on a one-year deal.

Comment

• Cali512
                  • Jan 2012

Originally posted by notacon View Post
                  Jack Campbell would be a reach in round one. Sure the Bills could use #27 on him, but I doubt it.

If none of the WR's are on the board that they have pegged, and they have Campbell on their radar screen (which they should), best to trade back into the second round. The only question is how far back and still ensure he will be there.

The other strategy is to pick WR in round one, especially if what’s there at #27 is a good fit, and then trade up from #59 to get him. Of course, the best scenario is to draft a WR that can come in immediately and compete for the #2 WR slot (or at the least push the **** out of Davis) AND get Campbell at #59.

Beane has shown he will trade his ass off if necessary to get who he wants. I was kind of surprised he traded up to get Elam last year. It was obvious why he traded back twice before selecting James Cook. Even then, it was a slight reach to take him at #63. I suspect he would have traded back again if he could have found a buyer.

Remember Darius Leonard wouldve been a reach in round 1 a couple years ago? How did that work out for us
                  Not here to be right, just here to have interesting discussions about my impulsive opinions

Comment

• Goobylal
                    • Jan 2004

Originally posted by swiper View Post
                    Trust your scouts?

Mike Williams
                    Walt Patulsky
                    Aaron Maybin
                    Erik Flowers
                    EJ Manuel
                    JP Losman
                    Cody Ford
                    Tom Cousineau
                    John McCargo

Shall I continue?
                    Yes because the Bills are the only team to miss on picks. Why draft at all?

Originally posted by notacon View Post

He'd only be a reach if he didn't live up to his draft status. All the talk of "they can get him lower" is speculation because you don't know what other team may want him. I could easily see him going to the Steelers at 32.

As for WR, not impressed with this year's group. I'd draft a speedster later in the draft and look to add one next year in the 1st round.

Originally posted by Woodman View Post
                    Report: Odell Beckham, Jr. is thought to now be looking for $15 million on a one-year deal

OBJ’s price is dropping. It hasn’t dropped enough for him to get a deal. Yet.
                    Via Rich Cimini of ESPN.com, Beckham is currently thought to be looking for $15 million on a one-year deal.
                    Good luck with that even.

Comment

• Ginger Vitis
                      • Feb 2009

Dawand Jones refused to get on the scales at Ohio states pro day...at the combine he weighed 370 pounds

Comment

• Ed
                        • Sep 2002

I don’t have any faith in Basham becoming a meaningful contributor and Epenesa is probably gone after this season whether he plays well or not. I like the value too much with Smith to pass on him. I think he’s going to be a better player than anyone on that list and he plays a premium position.

Comment

• Saratoga Slim
                          • Jul 2005

Originally posted by Ginger Vitis View Post
                          Dawand Jones refused to get on the scales at Ohio states pro day...at the combine he weighed 370 pounds
                          Yeah Dawand is high on my list but pretty concerned that he will boom to 400lbs and then bust. Not sure I feel good about enough about that in the 1st round.

I'm currently most enamored by the following that may possibly be available at 27:

Zay Flowers - can run every route and has both quicks and breakaway speed
                          Jordan Addison - Diggs-lite
                          Jack Campbell - 6'4" coverage linebacker that tested well at the combine
                          Bijan Robinson - I will vehemently argue against this pick until the moment it happens and then I'll get super excited
                          Wake up, brush your teeth, and get ready for a day of hating the Dolphins. Or the Pats? How to choose?

Comment

• notacon
                            • Aug 2012

Yes because the Bills are the only team to miss on picks. Why draft at all?
                            Spot on.

What’s even sillier is how far back this list has to go…

Mike Williams – 2002 #4 overall
                            Walt Patulsky – 1972 - #1 overall
                            Aaron Maybin – 2009 - #11 overall
                            Erik Flowers – 2000 - #26 overall
                            EJ Manuel – 2013 - #16 overall
                            JP Losman – 2004 - #22 overall
                            Cody Ford – 2019 - #38 overall

Tom Cousineau – 1979 - #1 overall – Tom Cousineau never even played for the Bills because of cheapskate and terrible owner Ralph Wilson (who would not pay Kim Kelly for three years either) and instead went on to a stellar career in the Canadian Football League who paid him TWICE as much as Ralph offered. When he wanted to return to the NFL, Buffalo traded his rights to Cleveland for the #14 pick in 1983, which the Bills used to daft Jim Kelly.

John McCargo – 2006 - #26 overall

Going all the way back to 1972 to show that it’s not reasonable to “trust your scouts” TODAY is pretty ****ing lame.

BTW, in that 1972 draft when they selected Walt Putulsky #1 overall, the next pick #1 in the second round was Reggie McKenzie. Maybe the best guard to ever put on a Bills uniform.

Only one player from the current GM on the list supposedly showing how we should not trust our scouts, was not even a first-round pick.

As Bill Barnwell of ESPN wrote today….” The most important element of the NFL draft is picking the right players. The hardest part of the NFL draft is picking the right players. Study after study suggest the ability to pick prospects is overwhelmed by randomness and variance.”

Comment

• Bill Cody
                              • Sep 2004

He's a smaller guy at WR but I think we need help there and getting free agents at that position is really tough. So based on that list if he's still on the board I'd agree with Noty and go Zay Flowers. He's a playmaker. If we get him we might as well cut the punter, no need.

Comment

• notacon
                                • Aug 2012

Originally posted by Cali512 View Post
                                Remember Darius Leonard wouldve been a reach in round 1 a couple years ago? How did that work out for us
                                It was five years ago, not a couple.

And it worked out pretty well for the Bills when they drafted Tremaine Edmunds the same year who turned out to be one of best LB's in the NFL.

Leonard was drafted very high in the second round, #4, #36 overall. Not much of a reach if he went late in round 1.

Funny how it turned out. In 2018, Roquan Smith was drafted the first LB at #8 overall by Chicago. The Bears dumped him in favor of signing Edmunds for $2M per year average less than Smith got from Baltimore.

AND they got a second and fifth round pick AND AJ Klein (who later signed with the Bills) in the trade.

For the record, I have no problem if the Bills select Jack Campbell. I just don’t think he’s worth a first round pick IF one of the top WR’s are on the board....which is fairly likely.

IF none of the WR’s are on the board at #27, the Bills would be smart to trade back, pick up a high second round slot and a later round pick or two, and nab Campbell with that higher round two pick. Then use original #59 for second tier WR prospect that will probably be there.

Besides the fact that there are other LB’s that will be around in round two or later, that could be develop into very solid starters.

The Bills need OFFENSIVE WEAPONS more than anything else to get over the hump for a Super Bowl appearance or win.

Comment

Working...
                                X