Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: You be The Beane

Registered User Forward_Lateral's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,009 Times in 4,235 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: You be The Beane

Quote Originally Posted by DraftBoy View Post
    OT Dawand Jones to lock down the RT spot.
    I'd be ok with this. Enough nickel and diming the O-line

2. Post thanked by:

Oaf (03-31-2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,070 Times in 3,555 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by swiper View Post
    I think they need to coorelate this pick with a plan for later picks as there is no 1st round rated MLB, so if they make a pick here, they'd better be damned sure their MLB choice is there at her next pick, a late 2nd round. Hard to imagine that player would be there then. Would they trade back and take the MLB with that pick? There are some good players on YardRats list. Personally like the DT or the safety. But they have to guarantee they get their targeted MLB somehow. Would they reach for a player rated in the mid-2nd round at #27? The Bills of old have many such reaches that didn't work out so well.
    I don't listen to "there is no 1st round rated MLB" or "he would be a reach" talk. There is no foolproof ranking of draftees, otherwise there would be no 1st round busts. Trust your scouting and take a player where you think he should be taken.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,521 Times in 6,083 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by DraftBoy View Post
    OT Dawand Jones to lock down the RT spot.
    He would be my target.

28 **60 **128 **133 **144 **160
    163 **189 **200 **204 **248

Haha...yeah you think so ? Mace's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,468 Times in 9,174 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

From that list...I'm going wjth Campbell without thinking twice.

Just to note though...McD's comments to Parrino I think..."they've earned the chance to compete"...still leads me to believe they're staying in house.

If so....Schmitz...future center for a decade.

6. Post thanked by:

ParanoidAndroid (04-03-2023)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Mace View Post
    From that list...I'm going wjth Campbell without thinking twice.

Just to note though...McD's comments to Parrino I think..."they've earned the chance to compete"...still leads me to believe they're staying in house.

If so....Schmitz...future center for a decade.
    Draftspeak. They're not going to say they're looking for a MLB.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

The only way we take a RB in the 1st is for him to fall right into our laps.

Please don't trade up to get him.

I love the RT Dawand Jones.

Spencer Brown better have a great season.

But I really believe it's going to be LB in round 1.

is looking for the Southern Cross for the first time!
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Torrence

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Woodman View Post
    The only way we take a RB in the 1st is for him to fall right into our laps.

Please don't trade up to get him.

I love the RT Dawand Jones.

Spencer Brown better have a great season.

But I really believe it's going to be LB in round 1.
    Who is a good RT to target in the 2nd round?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,948 Times in 1,276 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

jack campbell is 6'5? wtf, this whole time i was thinking he was like 6-2. so wed still get the length but with s traditional mlb

i hope to god we get him

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Cali512 View Post
    jack campbell is 6'5? wtf, this whole time i was thinking he was like 6-2. so wed still get the length but with s traditional mlb

i hope to god we get him
    Yeah he's 6'5" and 249# and runs a 4.65, with a 6.74 3-cone (that's what WRs and DBs get). Seems to have the instincts. Could probably be faster dropping a few pounds and getting into an NFL S&C program. But few people have him as a 1st rounder so I don't know.

Thanks
    Thanked 13,409 Times in 9,123 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Goobylal View Post
    I don't listen to "there is no 1st round rated MLB" or "he would be a reach" talk. There is no foolproof ranking of draftees, otherwise there would be no 1st round busts. Trust your scouting and take a player where you think he should be taken.
    Trust your scouts?

Mike Williams
    Walt Patulsky
    Aaron Maybin
    Erik Flowers
    EJ Manuel
    JP Losman
    Cody Ford
    Tom Cousineau
    John McCargo

Shall I continue?

14. Post thanked by:

Historian (04-07-2023),Lone Stranger (04-02-2023)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Clumpy View Post
    Torrence
    He's been mocked to us very consistently .... I'm very ok with that pick.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Yeah he's 6'5" and 249# and runs a 4.65, with a 6.74 3-cone (that's what WRs and DBs get). Seems to have the instincts. Could probably be faster dropping a few pounds and getting into an NFL S&C program. But few people have him as a 1st rounder so I don't know.
    He's always in position it seems ..... he's one of about 3 LB's that I'd be happy to have.

Ballhawk great great instincts.

Thanks
    Thanked 11,631 Times in 7,702 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Jack Campbell would be a reach in round one. Sure the Bills could use #27 on him, but I doubt it.

If none of the WR's are on the board that they have pegged, and they have Campbell on their radar screen (which they should), best to trade back into the second round. The only question is how far back and still ensure he will be there.

The other strategy is to pick WR in round one, especially if what’s there at #27 is a good fit, and then trade up from #59 to get him. Of course, the best scenario is to draft a WR that can come in immediately and compete for the #2 WR slot (or at the least push the **** out of Davis) AND get Campbell at #59.

Beane has shown he will trade his ass off if necessary to get who he wants. I was kind of surprised he traded up to get Elam last year. It was obvious why he traded back twice before selecting James Cook. Even then, it was a slight reach to take him at #63. I suspect he would have traded back again if he could have found a buyer.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

BTW....here is thecoaching intel” on Zay Flowers from The Athletic’s latest mock draft. They have him going #19 to Tampa Bay.

Whether Baker Mayfield or Kyle Trask can prove to be the answer at QB in the post-Tom Brady era, the Bucs need to upgrade at receiver. While the idea of picking an OT here might be tempting, Flowers is too good to pass up. I could see there being some consideration here for USC’s Jordan Addison, but the hunch is that Flowers is the most complete prospect, although both are undersized. The 5 feet 9, 182-pound Flowers, who only has 29 1/4-inch arms but does have 4.42 speed and a 10-7 broad jump, proved to be a one-man wrecking crew for BC despite not having many offensive pieces around him in 2022. He caught 56 passes for 892 yards and nine TDs despite being the main focus of rival defenses.

The Coaching Intel

“He’s a dude. There were times where we had him doubled and he still caught a touchdown pass on us. What do you do? He’s electric and has really good ball skills. If you don’t double him, he’s gonna double-move the s— out of you. He’s a strong little wide receiver from a blocking standpoint as well as after the catch. We recruited him and we thought he was a great human being, always smiling. Loved that kid.”

“He was awesome. Last year, their quarterback (Phil Jurkovec) was hurt; their O-line wasn’t a typical BC offensive line, and he almost single-handedly beat teams. He plays really hard. He can play slot or outside. He’s a great route-runner, really good after the catch. I think he’s a tough kid, too. Zay became really hard to double. They motioned him, would put him in the backfield, put him in the No. 1 spot, the No. 2 spot. I thought the BC OC (John McNulty) did a great job with him last year.”
    Sounds like a perfect fit for the Bills.

19. Post thanked by:

Lone Stranger (04-02-2023)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Here is how Bruce Feldman (the author) describes his strategy for mock drafts....

After spending the last two months talking to college football coaches and NFL sources, I put together my third annual first-round NFL mock draft based on those evaluations and the needs of each team.

The draft evaluation process is an inexact science, but what I strive to do with this project is provide unique insight into each of the players, as the analysis comes directly from the coaches who have scouted, game-planned for and played them. Those sources, granted anonymity to speak freely about the prospects, know exactly what they’re dealing with and what they’ve tried to do to them in real game situations — and how it all turned out.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Report: Odell Beckham, Jr. is thought to now be looking for $15 million on a one-year deal

OBJ’s price is dropping. It hasn’t dropped enough for him to get a deal. Yet.
    Via Rich Cimini of ESPN.com, Beckham is currently thought to be looking for $15 million on a one-year deal.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,948 Times in 1,276 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by notacon View Post
    Jack Campbell would be a reach in round one. Sure the Bills could use #27 on him, but I doubt it.

If none of the WR's are on the board that they have pegged, and they have Campbell on their radar screen (which they should), best to trade back into the second round. The only question is how far back and still ensure he will be there.

The other strategy is to pick WR in round one, especially if what’s there at #27 is a good fit, and then trade up from #59 to get him. Of course, the best scenario is to draft a WR that can come in immediately and compete for the #2 WR slot (or at the least push the **** out of Davis) AND get Campbell at #59.

Beane has shown he will trade his ass off if necessary to get who he wants. I was kind of surprised he traded up to get Elam last year. It was obvious why he traded back twice before selecting James Cook. Even then, it was a slight reach to take him at #63. I suspect he would have traded back again if he could have found a buyer.

Remember Darius Leonard wouldve been a reach in round 1 a couple years ago? How did that work out for us
    Not here to be right, just here to have interesting discussions about my impulsive opinions

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by swiper View Post
    Trust your scouts?

Mike Williams
    Walt Patulsky
    Aaron Maybin
    Erik Flowers
    EJ Manuel
    JP Losman
    Cody Ford
    Tom Cousineau
    John McCargo

Shall I continue?
    Yes because the Bills are the only team to miss on picks. Why draft at all?

Quote Originally Posted by notacon View Post

He'd only be a reach if he didn't live up to his draft status. All the talk of "they can get him lower" is speculation because you don't know what other team may want him. I could easily see him going to the Steelers at 32.

As for WR, not impressed with this year's group. I'd draft a speedster later in the draft and look to add one next year in the 1st round.

Quote Originally Posted by Woodman View Post
    Report: Odell Beckham, Jr. is thought to now be looking for $15 million on a one-year deal

OBJ’s price is dropping. It hasn’t dropped enough for him to get a deal. Yet.
    Via Rich Cimini of ESPN.com, Beckham is currently thought to be looking for $15 million on a one-year deal.
    Good luck with that even.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,292 Times in 842 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Dawand Jones refused to get on the scales at Ohio states pro day...at the combine he weighed 370 pounds