Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: He looks different (Levi)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,948 Times in 1,276 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

He looks different (Levi)

That was an awesome game to watch and damn he looks different. He plays angle's extremely well, has a sense for what do when in danger, not afraid to confront the puck carrier, he just looked different than our other goalies. I felt extremely at ease half way through the first with him in net, i loved how he was in control the whole time. My only issue is he has to get a better grasp on finding the pucks in scrums. That will probably come when things get slowed down but he honestly gave me a Miller vibe late in the game. Even when they had a clean net, i felt like hed somehow make the save which he did like 4 times. That glove save early on and getting his leg to the post was very similar to Miller

Im excited for this kids future because goaltending has been an issue lately
    Not here to be right, just here to have interesting discussions about my impulsive opinions

Thanks
    Thanked 30,468 Times in 17,375 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: He looks different (Levi)

Hope he is as advertised, this team needs a goalie.
    YardRat Wall of Fame
    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Thanks
    Thanked 7,521 Times in 6,083 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by YardRat View Post
    Hope he is as advertised, this team needs a goalie.
    Damn do we ever!!!!

28 **60 **128 **133 **144 **160
    163 **189 **200 **204 **248

Asst to Dean Vernon Wormer POTLAND PSILBYLO's Avatar
    Portland, Oregon Cocoa Mate: Mandy Pepperidge
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,754 Times in 3,308 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

It was nice to see his family there and how his teammates celebrated his win. What a nice start.

He deserves a place in the SCHLOTZKY.

Thanks
    Thanked 16,433 Times in 11,991 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Watch his feet. They are ALWAYS moving. He's fine tuning his stance and wideness based on the angle and pucks location at such a high rate.

I'm thinking he's gonna be a jussi saros type. Saros may be the fastest goalie in the league by a huge margin. I'd imagine that's why Levi's feet are always moving.
    Flag of Ukraine.svg

Thanks
    Thanked 13,409 Times in 9,123 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

sukie said elsewhere, and I agree, Levi played the down low stuff as well as anyone I've ever seen.

Thanks
    Thanked 10,254 Times in 6,469 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Don't get the fascination some people have with the guy.

Cali was right he looks different than any other goalie...other goalies don't lose the puck between their legs, other goalies don't look dumbfounded as to where the puck is when it's saucering over their shoulder.

Levi is a guy who needs more seasoning and unfortunately because Buffalo goaltenders suck so bad, he's forced to play. You all better hope that when he gives up a 6 goal night it doesn't completely shatter his confidence.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Other goalies give up fluke goals all of the time. At least he didn't look lost and the moment wasn't too big for him. He's going to get shelled, every goalie needs to pass that test...we'll see. He's going to get undressed on a breakaway or in a shootout. Needs to experience all of that to learn and grow.

In all honesty my initial reaction to his "it's just hockey" comment after the game was "you've got a lot to learn son, don't get too cocky yet", but I kind of like the confidence too.

9. Post thanked by:

JATMtheJATM (04-02-2023),Novacane (04-03-2023),swiper (04-02-2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 13,409 Times in 9,123 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Pink View Post

Cali was right he looks different than any other goalie...other goalies don't lose the puck between their legs, other goalies don't look dumbfounded as to where the puck is when it's saucering over their shoulder.

Levi is a guy who needs more seasoning and unfortunately because Buffalo goaltenders suck so bad, he's forced to play. You all better hope that when he gives up a 6 goal night it doesn't completely shatter his confidence.
    If you knew what you were talking about, then you'd understand. He made some low to the ice saves that no goaltenders make. And had veteran confidence and presence of mind for the entire game. That bodes very well for the future. Even Hasek gave up 6 goals. So no one's confidence will be shattered. Again, you'd have to know what you're talking about to understand it.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

He's in Buff because that's the only way he would have signed.

And Ryan Miller gave up 7 in a game in 03-04. He was so rocked, he cried.

In the end, he was absolutely fine.

Those things happen to every goalie. Why Levi is being picked apart after 1 game, in which he was absolutely electric in, is super weird

12. Post thanked by:

POTLAND PSILBYLO (04-03-2023),sukie (04-02-2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,948 Times in 1,276 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

That is probably the most difficult part of making your first start due to the speed of the game and nerves. I would rather a first year player struggle with that type of play then anything else because it's fixable with experience. When your first starting, those moments can move so fast that you may make a mental error

Id rather that then giving up easy shots. He did great vs one timers, had extremely good position during deep shots, and had full control of positioning.

He knew when someone got close to move out and play the puck carrier directly and knew how to use his full flexibility to stop wide open shots

He let in 2 goals. one was directly a fluke where he made a good save but the puck flew behind him and yes, the other one was him having trouble finding the puck

A team has 25-35 shots a game. about 90% if not more are usually do to direct shots on goal and he was literally perfect against those shots

I don't know if you don't watch more hockey or never played goalie, but he was honestly perfect aside from a couple plays where he had an issue finding the puck in a scrum is literally something every goalie struggles with

Weve seen our goalies giving up easy goals and scrum goals giving up 5+

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Cali512 View Post
    That is probably the most difficult part of making your first start due to the speed of the game and nerves. I would rather a first year player struggle with that type of play then anything else because it's fixable with experience. When your first starting, those moments can move so fast that you may make a mental error

Id rather that then giving up easy shots. He did great vs one timers, had extremely good position during deep shots, and had full control of positioning.

He knew when someone got close to move out and play the puck carrier directly and knew how to use his full flexibility to stop wide open shots

He let in 2 goals. one was directly a fluke where he made a good save but the puck flew behind him and yes, the other one was him having trouble finding the puck

A team has 25-35 shots a game. about 90% if not more are usually do to direct shots on goal and he was literally perfect against those shots

I don't know if you don't watch more hockey or never played goalie, but he was honestly perfect aside from a couple plays where he had an issue finding the puck in a scrum is literally something every goalie struggles with

Weve seen our goalies giving up easy goals and scrum goals giving up 5+
    As a beer league goalie hero myself, you said it great.

I totally expect him to have some clunkers down the stretch and even next year and beyond. He probably will be in Roch next year. And he will have clunkers down there

Asst to Dean Vernon Wormer POTLAND PSILBYLO's Avatar
    Portland, Oregon Cocoa Mate: Mandy Pepperidge
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,754 Times in 3,308 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Wait until he debuts the Star of David blocker.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Huge huge night!!!!

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Thompson looking to spark Sabres in crucial game against Panthers

"It's a big game," Tuch said. "They're a really good team. Everyone's coming around the corner and you're fighting (for a playoff spot). They're a team that we're going to have to play really well against to be able to beat them in their own barn. We're going to have to play an almost perfect game, and we're going to have to really try to go and outwork them. That's pretty much what it comes down to. I think toe-to-toe, it's pretty evenly skilled, evenly matched two teams, and we have to try to play to our game plan and beat them that way."

Thanks
    Thanked 10,254 Times in 6,469 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Watched him again...

He overchallenges, he overslides in the net, loses track of the puck constantly, and he gives up fat juicy rebounds left and right.

He has no business being in the NHL right now.

Thanks
    Thanked 26,214 Times in 13,680 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Watched him again...

He overchallenges, he overslides in the net, loses track of the puck constantly, and he gives up fat juicy rebounds left and right.

He has no business being in the NHL right now.
    Your criticisms are not unwarranted. At the same time, our other goalies suck. Anderson is past his prime. UPL is a tweener between an NHL backup and an AHL starter.

Levi makes mistakes but he also does things that are way beyond what most goalies with that limited experience can do.

At this point, what makes more sense? Playoff hopes are just a thread. Neither Anderson nor UPL will get us there. Levi most likely won’t either, but at least he’s getting NHL experience while the team is still fighting.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

OT and shootout, with the playoffs still a mathematical possibility, is a good step for experience and development.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by OpIv37 View Post
    Your criticisms are not unwarranted. At the same time, our other goalies suck. Anderson is past his prime. UPL is a tweener between an NHL backup and an AHL starter. Levi makes mistakes but he also does things that are way beyond what most goalies with that limited experience can do. At this point, what makes more sense? Playoff hopes are just a thread. Neither Anderson nor UPL will get us there. Levi most likely won’t either, but at least he’s getting NHL experience while the team is still fighting.
    The jump from NCAA to AHL is huge. And this guy skipped that step (so far) Hate it or love it, he's a green goalie and is absorbing the NHL experience like a sponge. Anything hes doing can be and will be corrected. I trust the Sabres FO enough to know what's best for his development

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

My god Levi looks solid. He needs more polish and development, but good grief he just looks so fast and solid

23. Post thanked by:

YardRat (04-11-2023)