Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: He looks different (Levi)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,085 Times in 5,849 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: He looks different (Levi)

Quote Originally Posted by JATMtheJATM View Post
    My god Levi looks solid. He needs more polish and development, but good grief he just looks so fast and solid
    Poised in the shootout. Very solid outing. That was a display of the kids patience and quickness… Like Jatm said… feet always moving.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,948 Times in 1,276 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

People saying he should go back to minors next season for more polish imo dont get it. He doesn't need it and right now he's basically the starting goaltender for a playoff push, late in the year, and has a 90% save percentage as a raw rookie. Just cut the cord, this is all the experience he needs. He can develop in the offseason with the team, no need to send him down then back up again. Just move forward with him
    Not here to be right, just here to have interesting discussions about my impulsive opinions

Thanks
    Thanked 16,433 Times in 11,991 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Cali512 View Post
    People saying he should go back to minors next season for more polish imo dont get it. He doesn't need it and right now he's basically the starting goaltender for a playoff push, late in the year, and has a 90% save percentage as a raw rookie. Just cut the cord, this is all the experience he needs. He can develop in the offseason with the team, no need to send him down then back up again. Just move forward with him
    I don't agree with this entirely. We've seen goalies come in and play lights out before fading away. I don't want him to be the next Carter hart or Spencer knight
    Flag of Ukraine.svg

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I’ll take the next Barrasso.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,333 Times in 2,072 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Levi looks like the real deal. I haven't felt this good about a goalie since Marty Biron. (no, Miller never made me feel that confident, he let in way too many goals that seemed to go through him)

he needs to get better with directing the rebounds into the corners, but that will come, the kid looks legit. He reminds me a bit of Félix Potvin. Similar Style.
    Last edited by Ingtar33; 04-11-2023 at 10:59 AM.
    My wife told me that if I had a dollar for every girl who found me unattractive, girls would find me VERY attractive.

MY WIFE SAID THAT!!!

6. Post thanked by:

Novacane (04-11-2023)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Ingtar33 View Post
    Levi looks like the real deal. I haven't felt this good about a goalie since Marty Biron. (no, Miller never made me feel that confident, he let in way too many goals that seemed to go through him)

he needs to get better with directing the rebounds into the corners, but that will come, the kid looks legit. He reminds me a bit of Félix Potvin. Similar Style.
    I think he's more of a saros style. But I won't stand for the miller slander!

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by JATMtheJATM View Post
    I think he's more of a saros style. But I won't stand for the miller slander!
    Come on… have you had the trauma removed from your memory? The nickname “Mr Softey”? That therapy worked too well.

Thanks
    Thanked 12,357 Times in 7,251 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Pink View Post
    Watched him again...

He overchallenges, he overslides in the net, loses track of the puck constantly, and he gives up fat juicy rebounds left and right.

He has no business being in the NHL right now.
    You have no business posting about the NHL!

Thanks
    Thanked 12,357 Times in 7,251 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Cali512 View Post

He'll be in Buffalo. I'm not saying he won't struggle and may end up being sent down but he'll start the season in Buffalo. He's the best goalie in their system.

Thanks
    Thanked 10,254 Times in 6,469 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by OpIv37 View Post
    Your criticisms are not unwarranted. At the same time, our other goalies suck. Anderson is past his prime. UPL is a tweener between an NHL backup and an AHL starter.

Levi makes mistakes but he also does things that are way beyond what most goalies with that limited experience can do.

At this point, what makes more sense? Playoff hopes are just a thread. Neither Anderson nor UPL will get us there. Levi most likely won’t either, but at least he’s getting NHL experience while the team is still fighting.
    I don't know what makes more sense.

The worry has to be that he gets completely rattled and his confidence completely shot from having to play in these high pressure type of games where let's face it, he isn't exactly playing well.

I'm not saying he can't be the guy one day but he needs a lot of seasoning at this point and he's been put into a spot that he's not ready for right now.

Another half of a game and the goals he's allowed again are because of big juicy rebounds and/or completely losing track of where the puck is. The third goal the Devils scored, Levi was looking back in the net before the puck even got back there.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

The worry has to be that he gets completely rattled and his confidence completely shot from having to play in these high pressure type of games where let's face it, he isn't exactly playing well.

I'm not saying he can't be the guy one day but he needs a lot of seasoning at this point and he's been put into a spot that he's not ready for right now.

Another half of a game and the goals he's allowed again are because of big juicy rebounds and/or completely losing track of where the puck is. The third goal the Devils scored, Levi was looking back in the net before the puck even got back there.
    Yeah… follow the “seasoning” recipe of UPL… it’s brilliant.

13. Post thanked by:

Novacane (04-11-2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,948 Times in 1,276 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Would rather those goals than any goal possible

Hes playing better than any goalie the sabres have had this season in the highest pressure moments of the season. Its not like today we were focussed on giving him help, every play was us trying to get the puck on a rush

You act like his main flaw of losing control of the puck or site in a scrum is somehow a bad thing. Thats literally the most fixable possible thing a goaltender could get used to. That is strictly due to him being raw, everything else he does is unteachable. Him getting across in wide open attempts, his positioning on breakways/shootouts, his ability to make amazing saves, his ability to make saves during point shots, those are skills a lot of players never develop. Finding the puck in a scrum will be easily fixable during time, when the game gets slower

Hes played great this season especially for the circumstances he was put in. He was put into a desperate playoff push and hes played good enough to win
    Last edited by Cali512; 04-11-2023 at 09:13 PM.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by sukie View Post
    Come on… have you had the trauma removed from your memory? The nickname “Mr Softey”? That therapy worked too well.
    The nickname me softy wasn't deaerved

Thanks
    Thanked 30,468 Times in 17,375 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

He's 21 years old and has a bunch of amateur experience in pressure situations. He has been thrust immediately into the pro level, during an end of season playoff push, and has performed really well for the most part...they certainly aren't losing games because of him. He needs a bunch more development and experience obviously, not convinced the best place for that is Rochester.
    YardRat Wall of Fame
    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by YardRat View Post
    He's 21 years old and has a bunch of amateur experience in pressure situations. He has been thrust immediately into the pro level, during an end of season playoff push, and has performed really well for the most part...they certainly aren't losing games because of him. He needs a bunch more development and experience obviously, not convinced the best place for that is Rochester.
    Agree with most of this. The Levi we see now is a very raw version of the Levi the Sabres will hopefully develop. Last night, he got exposed a few times by a VERY good Devils team. We all knew it would happen eventually. We all know it'll happen again.

I've been vocal in my support of having Levi in Roch for development, but I can certainly see the other end of that debate as well.

All I know is we got a goalie for the future and I don't wanna mess it up. And several games in April like Levi has had isnt going to do that